Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

BBJoey posted:

not sure about the effectiveness of anti-Vietnam protests, chief

The protests contributed directly to manpower shortages and war weariness. They also shaped left politics for a generation. The precise impact is debatable but not easily written off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BBJoey posted:

not sure about the effectiveness of anti-Vietnam protests, chief

They arguably shortened the war.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
And probably inspired Stallone to make First Blood

If only he'd stopped there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This climate road block is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Anidav posted:

Having ads on the Opera House.

A true blue movement.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1174193568870785024?s=21

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hambeet posted:

They arguably shortened the war.

To add to this the mood that was set against Nixon by protesters also set the mood that caused journalists to investigate the poo poo out of him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hambeet posted:

That's a good one.

Anything else?

I ask because I recall a convo I had with a yank mate about six months ago, and he was banging on about how protesting is much more effective in the US than Australia, and was citing their history of such movements like civil rights, vietnam war and a handful others I can't recall right now.

Anyway was just curious.

And, beyond that, the whole union movement and the power of strikes which gave us, at the time, world class working conditions, pay and leave.

If your friend's in the US, ask him how he enjoys his one week off a year and whether actually taking that time will negatively impact his career.

Also, none of that loving bullshit "right to work" where you can lose your livelihood at any moment for no reason.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

hambeet posted:

That's a good one.

Anything else?

I ask because I recall a convo I had with a yank mate about six months ago, and he was banging on about how protesting is much more effective in the US than Australia, and was citing their history of such movements like civil rights, vietnam war and a handful others I can't recall right now.

Anyway was just curious.

The Suffragette movement started here.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Urcher posted:

The Suffragette movement started here.

And arguably the Green movement, because unions.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

That's a good one.

Anything else?

Anyway was just curious.
Star Riot
Green Bans

The list is pretty long if you count union victories.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Oh drat, whose voice is calling for this I wonder, lemme click and find out what uh...

https://twitter.com/Politics_SMHAGE/status/1181473215333326848

Medibank Private's chief actuary Andrew Matthews has to say

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

remember the drought relief funding that coincidentally ended up almost entirely in liberal electorates?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-30/councillor-calls-for-$1-million-drought-support-to-be-redirected/11558818

I wonder how they thought that nobody would ask questions about this when Port Fairy & Warrnambol are so goddamn cold and wet.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You don't need to be arrested (although it helps)

What is it with XR and this poo poo.

Let’s all get arrested by our good friends and allies, the police.

Seriously, what’s the aim here?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

eternal reminder:

1. cops were created (and still function) to serve capital over people
2. cops are not your friends and never will be
3. ACAB

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

To add to this the mood that was set against Nixon by protesters also set the mood that caused journalists to investigate the poo poo out of him.

The mood that won him the 72 election by 23 points and 49 states to 1.

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

What is it with XR and this poo poo.

Seriously, what’s the aim here?
See: nonviolent https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience. Waste their resources, show them that people will not be intimidated into silence.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Good points all.

I guess his perception, and mine too though I'm very much removed from the US, is that in the US there seems to be wider acceptance of protests and their importance compared to here where nearly everyone gets very angry if they are made late to work / home.

It could just be the result of lovely media here too I guess.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bernstrike posted:

The mood that won him the 72 election by 23 points and 49 states to 1.

His opponent was loving terrible - and Agnew AND Nixon were out on their rear end only two years later

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I missed that Abbott was appointed to the board of the war memorial, lmao, very cool

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

what do we need a war memorial for, if they keep telling us not to forget. thats your job!!

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Queensland looking to fast track laws over "dangerous" protest devices like barrels full of concrete people are locking themselves to. Also allows for police to search people for these devices and jail protesters for up to two years for using them.

Sounds good guys, will stop that one cop from getting a scratched arm in the future.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Federal Labor frontbencher Joel Fitzgibbon wants his party to adopt the Government's climate change targets, arguing the Opposition "confused and scared" voters with its policies at the May election.

BIIIIIIIIL

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Just in case any thread-readers aren’t aware of the criticisms of Extinction Rebellion, here are a few articles. They cover a lot of ground but all mention the objection to getting arrested and cooperating with the police (in order to get arrested??) as a core tactic of XR.

I’m not really anti-XR but I do wonder about their long-term effectiveness. Time will tell of course, but right now there’s a whiff of ‘feelgood activism’ about them that concerns me. Simultaneously I’m encouraged by their existence and growth but wish they were... better. Like actually as radical as they claim to be. (I wouldn’t discourage anyone from choosing to get involved though. But also, be aware that XR aren’t the only climate activism game in town.)

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbm3q4/extinction-rebellion-xr-is-shaped-by-middle-class-white-people-it-does-not-serve-people-of-color

https://whysocialmovementsmatter.com/news/2019/10/3/dear-xr-why-not-be-more-honest-with-your-participants

https://thinkingdoingchanging.com/2019/04/18/lets-talk-about-extinction-rebellion/

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

All they want is to make sure they end up on the board of a fossil fuel company.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Glad we have a real voice of the left now. Good job Albo.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Just in case any thread-readers aren’t aware of the criticisms of Extinction Rebellion, here are a few articles. They cover a lot of ground but all mention the objection to getting arrested and cooperating with the police (in order to get arrested??) as a core tactic of XR.

I’m not really anti-XR but I do wonder about their long-term effectiveness. Time will tell of course, but right now there’s a whiff of ‘feelgood activism’ about them that concerns me. Simultaneously I’m encouraged by their existence and growth but wish they were... better. Like actually as radical as they claim to be. (I wouldn’t discourage anyone from choosing to get involved though. But also, be aware that XR aren’t the only climate activism game in town.)

XR reminds me quite a bit of the Occupy movement, and I think there are a lot of parallels you could draw between the two.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The media and LNP are united in vilifying XR, state ALP governments range from ambivalent to actively persecuting them, and now federal ALP is preparing to entirely concede environmental policy to the LNP. I just don’t see how the environmental movement in this country can effectively force change.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Regarding the other discussion, I’ve read that one reason Australia has a different (perhaps lesser) history of public protest compared to the US, the UK, et al, is that Australian cities lack an important feature: the town square. And it was a deliberate decision, on the part of the colonial elite, to build towns without them, because they knew that public squares = public gatherings = dissent and protest.

There’s a good article about it; I think this is it but I’m nearly at my train stop and don’t have time to check:

http://theconversation.com/australians-dont-loiter-in-public-space-the-legacy-of-colonial-control-by-design-76979

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you're at high risk of deportation then don't get arrested with xr lol. Leave that to others and make badges or something.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

If you're at high risk of deportation then don't get arrested with xr lol. Leave that to others and make badges or something.

There are a lot of white middle aged people willing to get arrested, as they possess just enough class consciousness to appreciate that the cops probably won't beat the snot out of them in the process (although there were a few women in their 50s with broken bones during the Roe8 protests, but that's a Liberal govt for you)

Also I read that the West put out a paper with a blank front page that people could use for placards which seems utterly out of character for Kerry Stokes.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I support XR and I realise this will make me sound like a massive oval office but seriously it’s a drainer for peak hour in Melbourne already. Protest politicians and make their days poo poo, not your average person going to work.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Are climate scabs a thing?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

teacup posted:

I support XR and I realise this will make me sound like a massive oval office but seriously it’s a drainer for peak hour in Melbourne already. Protest politicians and make their days poo poo, not your average person going to work.

"MaYbE YoU ShOuLdN'T bE gOinG 2 WoRk"
- A casual academic probably.

Most of XR are on the left end of the small l liberal crowd and totally lack enough class consciousness to realise that a lot of people don't have the luxury of striking for protest in the current IR environment.

Especially not once a month or so.

I agree, they need to figure out how to organise more effectively and get more people out or at least sympathetic to the cause before going straight to full blown civil disobedience tactics, or they're likely to lose popular support.

They need to get local community leaders on board - priests/pastors (obviously not the pentacostal idiots but large sections of the Anglican and Catholic churches outside of Sydney are vocal about climate change), council members, state parliament members, school principles, other local leaders - anyone who has the ability to influence the people around them. Can't all be up to the kids to win over the greater population.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Don Dongington posted:

"MaYbE YoU ShOuLdN'T bE gOinG 2 WoRk"
- A casual academic probably.

Most of XR are on the left end of the small l liberal crowd and totally lack enough class consciousness to realise that a lot of people don't have the luxury of striking for protest in the current IR environment.

Especially not once a month or so.

I agree, they need to figure out how to organise more effectively and get more people out or at least sympathetic to the cause before going straight to full blown civil disobedience tactics, or they're likely to lose popular support.

They need to get local community leaders on board - priests/pastors (obviously not the pentacostal idiots but large sections of the Anglican and Catholic churches outside of Sydney are vocal about climate change), council members, state parliament members, school principles, other local leaders - anyone who has the ability to influence the people around them. Can't all be up to the kids to win over the greater population.

That’s the thing, like I have a family I need my job. I’ve gone to protests on a Sunday when I’m not working! I’d take my girl when she’s older!

I mean flip side I definitely don’t think they should be arrested and banned and all the terrible poo poo we are hearing either .

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1181735762569515008?s=19

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

There are a lot of white middle aged people willing to get arrested, as they possess just enough class consciousness to appreciate that the cops probably won't beat the snot out of them in the process (although there were a few women in their 50s with broken bones during the Roe8 protests, but that's a Liberal govt for you)

XR also have groups like Regeneration which are focused on building sustainable communities and community support, and have a dedicated support (emotional & otherwise) branch to help out the people getting arrested and other civil disobedience groups.

People only see what the civil disobediencr groups and arrestables are doing as that is what gets the attention of the media, but there is a huge network of people behind that not only planning these events but ensuring that everyone has the support they need and no one gets thrown under the bus.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Thinking emoji that thinks so hard it explodes.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
also a key tenet for XR is 'no blame, no shame' where they recognise that the problems are institutional, and that not everyone is able to make the protests due to work or whatever, so don't poo poo on people because they aren't vegan or need to use a car, or can't take time off work to help.

So I can see why AusPol wouldn't like them.