Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Belief
LetMusicBurn
Oppoty
NeverGiveUp

lol

I typically throw away the external packaging right away when I get new IEMs, but I've had the Blon box on my desk for a while now and laugh regularly about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

trem_two posted:

lol

I typically throw away the external packaging right away when I get new IEMs, but I've had the Blon box on my desk for a while now and laugh regularly about it.

It's like they managed to find a drunk version of Google Translate and used that to figure out a company name.

Good headphones, though. "Harman curve with a bit less treble" is a really easy to like tuning and they're pretty good from a technical standpoint as well.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Has anyone here tried out the new wireless headset from Audio-Technica, the ATH-G1WL?

I'm looking for a good wireless headset for couch gaming - yes, I know. It has to be wireless. :shrug:

I think I'm probably settled between the ATH-G1WL and Steel Series' Arctis Pro Wireless. I really like the features of the Arctis, but the few mic tests I've been able to find of the ATH-G1WL sound better, and actually pretty good. I'm not looking to be a pro streamer or anything, but not sounding like complete poo poo to my coplayers would be great.

Thoughts between these two? Suggestions of a different setup?

What: Wireless headset with mic.
Budget: Under $300 or so.
Use: Gaming without waking the house.
Requirements: Wireless with a good USB dongle (~15 to 20 feet from computer with line-of-sight). Low-latency Rechargeable. Over-ear and closed back.
Desires: Good/Great audio in, acceptable/good audio out. Comfortable on a big head.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 9, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hey, this might be a bit of a weird question, but do some IEMs give you hearing issues?

I have a pair of those Soundmagic E10s that were a real popular set of budget IEMs a few years back

I like them a lot and they sound pretty flat and natural which I prefer, but the cable's starting to wear in a bunch of places, so I got some cheap Xiaomi Piston Fresh IEMs as a backup and out of curiosity since they were apparently decent for almost no money. They look like this, with the angled driver nozzle thing that (I think) projects in a bit more:

They sound fine, not as flat as I'd like but it's more of a scooped sound than really boosted bass and treble. They're a lot quieter than the E10s, where I need to raise the volume about 50% higher to match them

The problem is if I use them, even to listen to a 3 minute song or something, when I take them out I hear this low frequency humming sound, like something mechanical is vibrating in the building somewhere and it's coming through the wall. It comes and goes as I move my head, and it stops after a few minutes, but this feels very not good. It's not even the volume thing - I've tried it on my phone, which doesn't really get loud enough with the E10s, so I can't boost it above "way too quiet" and it still gives me this issue

Is there something about this piston design? I don't really want to use these tbh, but is it just something about that style and other models could do the same thing? The E10s are IEMs but I've never had this issue at all, they're a physically different design though. Is there maybe some weird frequency stuff going on that I can't hear? I've tried all the different tips, it's the same whether I have a good seal or not

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 9, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

baka kaba posted:

The problem is if I use them, even to listen to a 3 minute song or something, when I take them out I hear this low frequency humming sound, like something mechanical is vibrating in the building somewhere and it's coming through the wall. It comes and goes as I move my head, and it stops after a few minutes, but this feels very not good. It's not even the volume thing - I've tried it on my phone, which doesn't really get loud enough with the E10s, so I can't boost it above "way too quiet" and it still gives me this issue

I've had similar problems with a select few IEMS. For me, it turned out to be a fit problem. I think what was happening was the fit was compressing my ear... meat. The tips were too large and it was creating weird pressure in weird places. Once my ear meat was uncompressed, blood would rush in and it would create that weird dizzy bass sensation.

Try messing with the fit, and try smaller tips. Or just get the current thread favorite Tin T2, I find them ultra comfy and I haven't heard of too many other people having fit issues. And you can replace the cable for cheap if it fritzes out.

edit: speaking of fit, I grabbed some of these tips and they're loving amazing. They're basically short, fat Shure Olives. My new favorites, and if you have a hard time with... yknow... deep insertion, give em a shot.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 9, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It's actually the sound of spiders laying their eggs in your ears. Nothing serious!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
when I was a kid my sister convinced me that earwigs were called that because they laid eggs in your ear at night.

I wear earplugs in bed to this very day.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Creepy crawlies and stupid naming aside, some more coherent thoughts on the BLON-03

-Tuning is really good. It's basically the Harman target with 2-3db less treble. It's a touch on the bassy side for my tastes and I prefer a lower start to the pinna gain, but it's an easy-to-like tuning that will work well for the vast majority of people.
-Low end extension is fantastic. High end extension is good.
-Solid technical ability. Good clarity and detail retrieval throughout the spectrum. It's on the leaner side for a dynamic and has moderately fast decay, which gives the BLON a clean sound.
-Soundstage is... well, it's there. It's maybe a little bit better than most IEMs, but it's neither a real strength nor weakness.
-Isolation is average. The only vent on housing is facing in to the ear, but the nozzles are also very short. This can be improved with foam tips if necessary.

-Despite the near-universal complaints about the tips and cable, I've had no problems with either. That said, I don't really have issues fitting IEMs due to the shape of my ears so YMMV. I've also not had any of the driver flex issues some users have complained about.

If someone could find a replacement cable that would fit reliably, I'd probably recommend the BLON over the Tin T2. The BLON has better detail retrieval, a larger perceived soundstage and better end-to-end extension. Even with a replacement cable and some third-party tips, the price would be very similar.

TL;dr The BLON is worth the current hype, if you can get the fit to work for you.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is there a good set of high-end true wireless earbuds that aren't AirPods? 99% of the ones I find are either cheap Chinese AirPod clones or IEMs, and I loathe IEMs with a fiery passion.

Important features: A USB-C charging case (as opposed to microUSB or Lightning), Android compatibility.

Microphone quality is not very important, these would be primarily for listening to music/podcasts.

Ability to pair with multiple devices (e.g. my phone and my work Mac) would be a plus. I don't know if that's common or even possible.

Ideally I wouldn't spend much more than $150, but I could go up to $250 if it's really worth it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Samsung Galaxy Buds or Sony WF-1000XM3

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Maybe I got my terminology wrong, but aren't those both IEMs? They have that horrible silicone tip that's supposed to seal your ear canal but actually just makes me want to Van Gogh my ears.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you don't want IEMs, then the Airpods are your best bet.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grack posted:

If you don't want IEMs, then the Airpods are your best bet.

yeah, airpods are the best in this style, and they'll pair fine with windows/android/whatever. Other than that, there are the Chinese clones, and if you don't have to have true wireless, there's the plantronics backbeat fit line, and I think jbl and anker also make a model each

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
That's what I feared. I think I'll probably start with some Chinese clones, if only for the sake of USB-C charging. I'm much pickier about comfort/convenience than I am about audio quality.

Thanks!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
How are the new Klipsch wireless? Any impressions?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has anyone got any experience with the new Sennheiser Momentum 3.0? Thinking of getting some to replace my busted beats solo3.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I've had similar problems with a select few IEMS. For me, it turned out to be a fit problem. I think what was happening was the fit was compressing my ear... meat. The tips were too large and it was creating weird pressure in weird places. Once my ear meat was uncompressed, blood would rush in and it would create that weird dizzy bass sensation.

Try messing with the fit, and try smaller tips. Or just get the current thread favorite Tin T2, I find them ultra comfy and I haven't heard of too many other people having fit issues. And you can replace the cable for cheap if it fritzes out.

edit: speaking of fit, I grabbed some of these tips and they're loving amazing. They're basically short, fat Shure Olives. My new favorites, and if you have a hard time with... yknow... deep insertion, give em a shot.

hey you might be right, I put them in (unplugged) for a few minutes and there was a bit of the noise going on even without the sound pressure. I'll try the small tips again, but I'm pretty sure I tested them when I was trying to avoid this humming issue. Might have just been when I was trying them out for sound quality though, they don't seal well so maybe I didn't bother

But if this angled design is pressing in bad places it's always gonna be an issue with a decent seal, right? I'm guessing foam tips wouldn't make any difference? (not that I'm buying any just for these, but y'know) It would be good to know if this is a design I just need to avoid in future

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Any opinions on the Audeze Mobius? They're on sale at Crutchfield for $300 and wireless planar headphones sounds like a tempting offer. Reviews online seem kind of all over the place in regards to them being "worth it".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sacred Cow posted:

Any opinions on the Audeze Mobius? They're on sale at Crutchfield for $300 and wireless planar headphones sounds like a tempting offer. Reviews online seem kind of all over the place in regards to them being "worth it".

Never touched them. If they're vaguely like other Audezes they'll be good but nothing in their lineup is what I'd call value for money. It's simply they're a premium / luxury brand.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DancingShade posted:

Never touched them. If they're vaguely like other Audezes they'll be good but nothing in their lineup is what I'd call value for money. It's simply they're a premium / luxury brand.

iSine 10 for $150 ($200 with BT cable) is a value. But that's uh it. Hehe. This is coming from someone with LCD2Cs, they're GREAT, but lol their prices.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there an advantage to getting office headsets to gaming ones? I will need one for home, but it seems that form factor is the biggest difference between them? I just need something for Skype calls right now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there an advantage to getting office headsets to gaming ones? I will need one for home, but it seems that form factor is the biggest difference between them? I just need something for Skype calls right now.

Tuning. Office headsets are focused on vocals above all else for obvious reasons.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

DancingShade posted:

Tuning. Office headsets are focused on vocals above all else for obvious reasons.

I wonder if I should get one if I might also use it for gaming/music? The build quality on comparable gaming headsets look much better

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

baka kaba posted:

I get this a little bit with the E10s even, and somewhat with earplugs as well, which I always wear to concerts. The slight discomfort after a couple hours is better than permanent hearing loss.

I've recently started using the in-ears that came with my Galaxy S8 work phone, and they're by far the most comfortable IEMs I've ever used. The sound is also a nice improvement over the E10s, less bass boost, but much deeper bass, and cleaner treble.

I like them enough that I convinced my colleague to give me his set, so I have a spare pair if I end up breaking one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I guess it's just something that goes on in your ear, and some designs are just more likely to cause it for some people?

Really though I was mostly worried I was doing some actual ear damage by using them, like getting some low-frequency tinnitus or something. I've never had this before but these are the first IEMs I've used with an angled nozzle design. If it's definitely a temporary thing I can live with that, but it still feels sketchy and I'll probably just stick with the normal E10 style. Even the smaller tips didn't help (and sounded a lot worse too)

Kinda sucks that people have to find their brand, but hey if you get one that works for you, hang onto it!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schneider Heim posted:

I wonder if I should get one if I might also use it for gaming/music? The build quality on comparable gaming headsets look much better

I'd never personally buy an office headset for any reason other than task specific hands free phone calls.

Maybe what you're after is something akin to a professional broadcast grade integrated monitoring headphone & boom mic combo.

Edit - an example would be https://audio-technica.com.au/products/bp-hs1/ but I'm only linking it as an example of what I'm talking about.

Gaming headphones with a mic would work too (so long as they aren't junk), the real problem you're going to have is interating your regular headphones with your phone system. If you have something like site wide VOIP using various multifunction phones then I hope you do a lot of research before buying anything. That might lead you right back to an office headset for calls and seperate regular headphones for everything else, especially if your phone needs an external phone specific headset amp or something.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 12, 2019

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Schneider Heim posted:

If you have headphones for your computer already just slap a modmic on there.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
massdrop is having a sale on HE4xx brand new for $130.

If you don't own planars and are at all curious, you can't do better for the price.

edit: also speaking of price/performance in audio they have ve monks for $3.75 lol.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 12, 2019

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

massdrop is having a sale on HE4xx brand new for $130.

If you don't own planars and are at all curious, you can't do better for the price.

edit: also speaking of price/performance in audio they have ve monks for $3.75 lol.

I've read a lot of horror story on hifiman's qc so I'm a bit mixed on getting them

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had to replace my pads and cable after owning them for less than a year. They're not my primary cans by any means anymore, but that's just a personal report.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I think constant heavy use over a year or two is good at killing nearly any ear pad that isn't carefully maintained or kept away from human sweat.

I want to say real sheepskin ear pads are pretty great at durability & lifespan but I don't wear them at all if I'm sweating to avoid damaging the leather.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Thoom posted:

That's what I feared. I think I'll probably start with some Chinese clones, if only for the sake of USB-C charging. I'm much pickier about comfort/convenience than I am about audio quality.

Thanks!

Are the new Beats Fit or Audio Technica buds too much like IEMs?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are the new Beats Fit or Audio Technica buds too much like IEMs?

If they've got the little silicone tips to seal off your ears, they're too much like IEMs. They hurt my ears and fall out really easily.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ChazTurbo posted:

I've read a lot of horror story on hifiman's qc so I'm a bit mixed on getting them

The cables are trash and the build quality doesn't inspire confidence (though the metal yokes on the massdrop version might help with that) but they're not going to break if you look at them. Just be careful with them and you should be fine.

Seriously though, order a replacement cable at the same time if you get them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yeah you're willingly trading build quality for driver performance at this price point, so be aware of what you're getting into. That said, I spent a total of $20 fixing up my pair with a new 2.5mm jack and a new cable, and I don't have any worries about them. There's audible driver flex in the right can when I put them on for some reason, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. In no universe are these portable headphones anyway, so they don't need to stand up to abuse. Super worth it imo.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My wife is looking for a pair of closed-back headphones for under $30. She doesn’t care about sound quality at all and is really only concerned about comfort. Wired is a must. What’s the budget recommendation these days?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dantheman650 posted:

My wife is looking for a pair of closed-back headphones for under $30. She doesn’t care about sound quality at all and is really only concerned about comfort. Wired is a must. What’s the budget recommendation these days?

Monoprice Retros.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16150

Edit - I haven't listened to them but apparently they actually sound decent too.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 15, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They do sound quite good actually, they're rebranded Superlux. The pads are god awful though, you might wanna spring an extra $10 for replacements.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ChazTurbo posted:

I got mine from the first run of them and they have been pretty loving solid.
My 1 year old hasn't destroyed them yet so that's a pretty strong endorsement.

The HE4xx has the advantage of being a rock solid headband design unlike the lovely he400i. I think most people's problems with HiFiMan have been with the attachment of the band to the cups. I don't see how it would be a problem. You'd have to REALLY gently caress up to break that mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know what would be some good IEMs anywhere up to around £100-200? (I'm not interested in wireless)

I've been using these RHA MA750 headphones for the past couple years and I love how durable they are (and they have three year warranty which has come in handy) but they're dying again and I thought it'd be fun to upgrade to something else since I've been using the same model for so long. I use them all day listening to music/podcasts at work