Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Welp, glad I still have my receipt for that copy of Overwatch I just picked up.

Thank you for all the positive helpful responses in the thread at least. Sounds like the game is in pretty good shape, even if the company is setting itself on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

teagone posted:

Still, gently caress Blizzard for going to the lengths that they did to appease China.

Oh I mean sure, not defending Blizzard here. Just that the two companies are doing similar things

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I see no point in that kind of boycotting, it's not like Blizzard will actually give a poo poo, nonviolent protesting doesn't work anyways, at least not on the large scale companies like Blizzard operate on, especially without violence(or at least the threat of it) backing it up

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
If a boycott specifically affects shareholder confidence or in fact just the number of consumers in a non China market it would be more effective than violence because capitalism specifically inoculates itself against violence through the state protection of capital, that’s the whole reason why non violent protest is effective

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I see no point in that kind of boycotting, it's not like Blizzard will actually give a poo poo, nonviolent protesting doesn't work anyways, at least not on the large scale companies like Blizzard operate on, especially without violence(or at least the threat of it) backing it up

Lots of people are now reconsidering giving money to Blizzard. That can be more effective than violence. I personally can't give my dollars and support to a company that has maneuvered itself against human rights in an attempt to maintain its profit margins. gently caress that noise. It's shameful as hell.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the whole thing happened because china is the larger market
boycotting affects their bottom line, but also, you are now a minority in their customer base, so if anything it just drives them further into china's arms. also it will have no impact on the hong kong protests either way. :matters:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

If a boycott specifically affects shareholder confidence or in fact just the number of consumers in a non China market it would be more effective than violence because capitalism specifically inoculates itself against violence through the state protection of capital, that’s the whole reason why non violent protest is effective

That is complete pile of bullshit

teagone posted:

Lots of people are now reconsidering giving money to Blizzard. That can be more effective than violence. I personally can't give my dollars and support to a company that has maneuvered itself against human rights in an attempt to maintain its profit margins. gently caress that noise. It's shameful as hell.

Eh it's really not going to have a noticeable effect, cause at most maybe a couple thousand people will do that kind of boycott, a literal drop in the bucket for a company like Blizzard, which is why nonviolent protest doesn't work, capitalism operates at too big of a scale for it to work, hence if people want to see real change they need to start pulling out the Molotov Cocktails rather than signs

Minrad posted:

boycotting affects their bottom line, but also, you are now a minority in their customer base, so if anything it just drives them further into china's arms. also it will have no impact on the hong kong protests either way. :matters:

Exactly

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minrad posted:

drrockso20 posted:

Eh it's really not going to have a noticeable effect, cause at most maybe a couple thousand people will do that kind of boycott, a literal drop in the bucket for a company like Blizzard, which is why nonviolent protest doesn't work, capitalism operates at too big of a scale for it to work, hence if people want to see real change they need to start pulling out the Molotov Cocktails rather than signs

I can't willingly do much to directly support the HK protests myself either. Since not giving my dollars to Blizzard isn't satiating enough as means for change, think of it more as personal choice based on morality then.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

teagone posted:

In a world where I have more games/movies/TV shows/books than I could feasibly make time for and retain employment/a social life/etc it doesn't take much to put me off of a game/company anymore. I have no illusions that I'm making some grand political gesture, but if I have five games to choose between and one is made by a company that does something lovely like this, it's easy to just pick one of the other four. :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blizzard's gonna fire whoever did this, I'm sure:

https://twitter.com/lackofrealism/status/1181639970332659712

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Ok welp if it’s such a pile of bullshit go commit an act of violence against blizzard and change the world I’m not gonna stop you you fuckin coward

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Is "free Hong Kong" already wordfiltered in game like "gg ez"?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Ok welp if it’s such a pile of bullshit go commit an act of violence against blizzard and change the world I’m not gonna stop you you fuckin coward

We can all light molotovs together.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Lol imagine having this much credulity.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It’s not so much Blizzard, it’s your favorite economic system and mine, c a p i t a l i s m

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm not the right kind of person for that either, I'm just being realistic here

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Pattonesque posted:

It’s not so much Blizzard, it’s your favorite economic system and mine, c a p i t a l i s m

i have assisted hong kong and defeated capitalism the only way I know how: by not spending money on one american corporation that kowtows to china like blizzard, and instead spending it on another one! perhaps something from the epic game store, or steam, or even the ubisoft launcher!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minrad posted:

i have assisted hong kong and defeated capitalism the only way I know how: by not spending money on one american corporation that kowtows to china like blizzard, and instead spending it on another one! perhaps something from the epic game store, or steam, or even the ubisoft launcher!

Jokes on you. I only ever really played Overwatch. And now I won't! :colbert:

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Maybe its not so much about supporting HK as it is about not supporting a company that perceptibly went against human rights?
The concerns that it won't help Hong Kong is so weird, wouldn't the concern more be to not tell companies that its ok to do so in our part of the world?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WirelessPillow posted:

Maybe its not so much about supporting HK as it is about not supporting a company that perceptibly went against human rights?

It boils down to this, yeah, but goons gotta mock poo poo because that's what goons do. I'm aware this all just a byproduct of :capitalism: and the mere act of uninstalling OW and Battle.net does absolutely nothing tangible or nets some kind of positive effect to the HK protesters in any way. It's a moral decision to not support a lovely company and stand in solidarity with the HK protesters while I can only realistically be a spectator of their struggle overseas. But by all means, goons can be all HURR DURR you uninstalling OW and Bnet doesn't mean or accomplish anything, I really don't care.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 9, 2019

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
theres no ethical consumption under captialism, but i still dont feel good about directly supporting a company that is literally oppressing free speech

just because it doesnt make the difference on a monetary level doesnt mean i dont have feelings about what a company does, as an individual. if you dont care you dont care tho, more power to you.

Hace fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 9, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Minrad posted:

China is actually less than 10% of Blizzard's revenues. They're doing this because

1) The calculation was this would safeguard that 10% without affecting the other 90 at all
2) They think China will be a big boy some day

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

If you can derive some form of catharsis from disabling your account or cancelling your sub then why shouldn't you do it? Doing things out of resigned spite is a reward in itself

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
its not even out of spite or whatever, it just feels weird supporting a company thats a totalitarian puppet imo

Hace fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 9, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minorkos posted:

If you can derive some form of catharsis from disabling your account or cancelling your sub then why shouldn't you do it? Doing things out of resigned spite is a reward in itself

It's not just that, but yeah, what Hace said. I can't willingly support Blizzard when they went to the lengths they did wrt oppressing free speech and human rights in such calculating fashion. It just feels wrong. Also:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1181778525025644546

Owns.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

teagone posted:

It's not just that, but yeah, what Hace said. I can't willingly support Blizzard when they went to the lengths they did wrt oppressing free speech and human rights in such calculating fashion. It just feels wrong. Also:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1181778525025644546

Owns.

https://twitter.com/anelson96/status/1181779401169625089?s=20

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
This is exploding in a way that I haven't seen in a long while, its pretty impressive.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1181795765401903105

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Minrad posted:

Actually China is a drop in the bucket compared to US/EU/Asia as a whole. I don't know where this misconception comes from. Blizzard is making a very small amount of it's money (less than 10%) from China. 1 out of 5 americans/europeans dropping them would hurt them way more than losing all of china would.

There is the potential for China to be a larger market someday... but there is also the potential that they just steal all of blizzards ideas and make home grown alternatives.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah.

If Blizzard are banning players for supporting democracy, I'm going to be uninstalling Overwatch now. I'm done.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Holy poo poo it annoys me that I have to consider global politics before logging into my favorite video game.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
guess it's back to rocket league for me

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1181926542080958464

gently caress Blizzard.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

porfiria posted:

China is actually less than 10% of Blizzard's revenues. They're doing this because

1) The calculation was this would safeguard that 10% without affecting the other 90 at all
2) They think China will be a big boy some day

yeah Activision Blizzard is basically counting on this writ large:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
If you cant see what blizzard did is wrong and you're trying to hold your nose up as "better than thou" because people are choosing to uninstall. the boot tread is on your tounge.

It honestly makes me sick seeing people trying to mock people for taking a principled stand on a matter. just because you are too much of a bitch to have a voice doesn't mean you get to mock others into being quiet. like real talk kiss my hairy black rear end. if you're offended by it good. that's the point. gently caress you coward.

people cant go over to hong kong and fight in the revolution...so they shouldn't say anything. kindly gently caress off.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 9, 2019

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

prom candy posted:

guess it's back to rocket league for me

Rocket League publisher Psyonix was acquired by Epic Games in May. Tencent (which owns a 5% stake in Activision-Blizzard) owns a 48% stake in Epic Games. They also own 90+% of Riot Games (LoL) and are the ones who dealt with the NBA to get NBA games broadcast in China.

Enjoy!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Rocket League publisher Psyonix was acquired by Epic Games in May. Tencent (which owns a 5% stake in Activision-Blizzard) owns a 48% stake in Epic Games. They also own 90+% of Riot Games (LoL) and are the ones who dealt with the NBA to get NBA games broadcast in China.

Enjoy!

no ethical consumption etc. etc.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
China is willing to lose the nba because the authority got its feelings hurt the people don't get a say in the decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I have lost the interest I previously had in getting Overwatch for Switch, but I feel like I can justify to myself continuing to play the version I already have on xbox, as I spend no money in the game and they don't make money from me using their servers afaik.