Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

She's making it much easier than I thought it'd be. After a half hour of covered snuggles in my lap, she's eating from the spoon, eating from my fingers, and giving me the tiniest head rubs and body rubs she can give. Still nervous about hands, but loves pets, so once those start going, she's good. She's currently squeak-screaming at the closed bathroom door because I've just left her alone for the first time in the past hour or so. Man, she just kinda gave up all pretenses super fast!

She does have fleas. We'll figure that out soon.

Her eyes are less blue than I thought!

Still no litterbox activity, but I've introduced her to it a few times. I'm nervous about needing to maybe stimulate her but we'll see how the day progresses.

(That's my big toe and that kitty dish is for holding 1/4 cup, if that helps at all with scale.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

my cat is norris posted:

Still no litterbox activity, but I've introduced her to it a few times. I'm nervous about needing to maybe stimulate her but we'll see how the day progresses.

You should check both of the little cat caves or whatever you've made for her plus the corners of the room. She may have just gone and peed there instead, especially if one of the cat caves has soft material in it. I'm kind of assuming you'd smell any open poo poo in a small area even if it's a few hours old, but kitten pee doesn't really smell as strong as adult cat pee as far as I can remember, so she may have gone somewhere and you just don't realize it yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my cat is norris posted:

She's making it much easier than I thought it'd be.

Kittens are pretty adaptable, she'll probably be fine. It's grown feral cats who tend to be trickier.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Lots of mewing while it happened, but she used the litterbox. I am relieved. :unsmith:

Lol one of my other cats caught a glimpse of this tiny nugget and took off at top speed in utter terror. She must exude ferocity.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 5, 2019

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Its a tortie. They know.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boogalo posted:

Its a tortie. They know.

Yeah, torties/calicos don't exude ferocity. They just exude insanity.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Wednesday has been with us three days now. She did one pee in the litter box but otherwise hasn't used it. I'm pretty sure she's not pissed in the house.

When do I need to worry about a lack of toileting? She's also meowing a lot but I think she's just chatty - she doesn't sound distressed and is grooming and playing.

I grew up with cats but this is my first attempt at being an independent owner. Wednesday also has a totally different personality to any cat I've had before. She's spent all day today napping under the duvet even though we've not been in it - in keeping with her seeming not to move from a hidey hole unless there's a human around.

I know it's early days so I'm trying not to worry. Just wish she'd do another pee and that I could understand what she's trying to say!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think you said she peed yesterday, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet. However, you may want to check some corners or some soft spots like any blankets or couch cushions for pee, just in case. Although at 4 years old, you should be able to get whiff of cat pee if she has done it outside of the litter box.

And she probably just is a chatty cat who likes to meow and while you may learn some of the talk, you'll never know it all. I personally liked to just carry on weird one sided conversations with my talky cats, like pretending they are just spreading gossip about the other cats.

Relax, it sounds like you're doing fine. Just go about your normal routine and if Wednesday wants some attention, she knows where she can get it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Welp three days and three houseplants destroyed. I'm going to get some mesh netting and rocks and see if I can catproof them.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

TMMadman posted:

I think you said she peed yesterday, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet. However, you may want to check some corners or some soft spots like any blankets or couch cushions for pee, just in case. Although at 4 years old, you should be able to get whiff of cat pee if she has done it outside of the litter box.

And she probably just is a chatty cat who likes to meow and while you may learn some of the talk, you'll never know it all. I personally liked to just carry on weird one sided conversations with my talky cats, like pretending they are just spreading gossip about the other cats.

Relax, it sounds like you're doing fine. Just go about your normal routine and if Wednesday wants some attention, she knows where she can get it.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think it was on Thursday that she peed and it's now the end of Saturday - I'm just worried because of cats and their predisposition to urinary issues and renal failure! If she hasn't used the tray by tomorrow we might call the shelter but will try not to worry for now.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Bollock Monkey posted:

Wednesday has been with us three days now. She did one pee in the litter box but otherwise hasn't used it. I'm pretty sure she's not pissed in the house.

When do I need to worry about a lack of toileting? She's also meowing a lot but I think she's just chatty - she doesn't sound distressed and is grooming and playing.

I grew up with cats but this is my first attempt at being an independent owner. Wednesday also has a totally different personality to any cat I've had before. She's spent all day today napping under the duvet even though we've not been in it - in keeping with her seeming not to move from a hidey hole unless there's a human around.

I know it's early days so I'm trying not to worry. Just wish she'd do another pee and that I could understand what she's trying to say!

Every cat I've adopted spent their first week or so napping, and then started to perk up. She's probably just really tired and stressed from being in suboptimal conditions in her previous owner's home, and then with other cats and lots of commotion at the RSPCA. I'd guess that the meowing is a good sign, especially if she's grooming and playing - I'd worry much more if a talky cat stopped meowing. Maybe try answering her (doesn't matter what you say as long as it's gentle) or play some soft music just for reassurance. I'd only worry if she starts to run a fever, stops eating, or is otherwise clearly uncomfortable.

Oh hey one other thought - Is she completely white? Any chance that she is hearing impaired? They do tend to meow a lot. If she is, no worries - you'd just have to focus on visual communication and play, and make sure she doesn't go outside unleashed since she wouldn't hear traffic.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

She is pure white but the way she got upset when next door's dog barked makes me think her hearing is fine!

Last night she spent the whole night stomping around and talking to us, so I am inclined to feel she just likes to remind us she's there. She is very, very affectionate.

She's doing occasional wicked farts so I hope a poo is not far off! We've moved one litter tray upstairs since she seems to be very interested in the bedroom since discovering it last night. She was scrabbling around in the downstairs tray last night too but didn't do anything in it. Maybe she's still figuring stuff out.

e: Probably due some tax for all this reassurance...

Today we discovered that tiny flies are interesting to watch and very hard to catch:

And I've never met a cat who presents for belly rubs this flagrantly!

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 5, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's the first chilly day of the fall after months of miserable heat. rear end in a top hat has been curled up on my feet under a blanket for a couple hours now

It doesn't help that the furnace wasn't putting out hot air and only just got fixed

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

So for kittens that young you can't use conventional flea treatments or flea baths, unfortunately. However! There are still some things that can be done:

A regular bath will remove any live fleas on the kitten. Our SPCA-recommended soap when we foster is the blue Dawn dish soap, only a couple drops are needed. Little kittens needs to be blow-dried afterwards because they can't warm themselves up that well- they HATE this but luckily they're small and easy to scruff.
Daily flea combing is a must. Most kittens enjoy it as long as you don't try to do it while they're in play with everything murder mode. The plastic one you can get for 99 cents at petsmart is fine.
Try to keep the kitten confined in one room with minimal linens, and vacuum the rugs (if there are any) daily, disposing of the dustbin contents outside. You can also use a pyrethrin-based flea spray in the room (I usually use Zodiac brand, it's cheap and it works), just make sure the spray has completely dried before the kitten comes into contact with the sprayed areas. This works well on those areas that are hard to wash or vacuum like around the baseboards.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you! Yes, we did a Dawn bath last night. Didn't get ALL the fleas, but the majority we think, and another bath will happen tomorrow. Lots of combing today!

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Well my rear end in a top hat just threw up a hairball that included bits of shoelace, so time to contact the vet. Watching him throw up was both disgusting and fascinating tbh.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Wings posted:

Well my rear end in a top hat just threw up a hairball that included bits of shoelace, so time to contact the vet. Watching him throw up was both disgusting and fascinating tbh.

I'd think a proctologist would be a better option than seeing a vet, but healthcare in America is pretty hosed up. :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I put a layer of mesh then pea gravel over all my houseplants to keep catbutt from digging in the dirt. It took all of an hour for her to decide "well, if I can't dig the dirt I'll just rip out the plant and tear it up."

So she's not allowed unsupervised in the living room for now.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

I put a layer of mesh then pea gravel over all my houseplants to keep catbutt from digging in the dirt. It took all of an hour for her to decide "well, if I can't dig the dirt I'll just rip out the plant and tear it up."

So she's not allowed unsupervised in the living room for now.

Sometimes God's perfect little murder machines also like to kill plants.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
she's also been ripping heinous farts, more than usual

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

she's also been ripping heinous farts, more than usual

just trying to kill you with methane

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
my mom didn't believe me that the cat was blasting nasty farts, she was like "oh maybe she just stepped in something"

then the cat sat in her lap and about five minutes into that my mom was almost crying

her diet hasn't changed so idk, maybe she's just discovered the reaction she can elicit and is farting tactically

The Cat FAQ/Megathread: felines farting tactically

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Just got home to our breakfast left-overs (in a frying pan with the lid on) gnawed on. Normally this would mostly suck for us and lead to double-checking the stove and kitchen-counter, but it was a spanish tortilla that had onion in it.
She's acting normal and we'll call the vet in the morning to see how worried we should be, but google is making me feel anxious about it. :(

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Invis - Look for panting or lethargy tonight. If you see them more often than usual, it is probably worth contacting an emergency vet. My cat had got into onion many times and luckily it's always been too little for a real problem, but many vet calls have drilled in to look for panting. I guess another common reaction is flatulence, topically.

Eta on that note, Pellisworth your cats diet probably has changed - it's got more houseplant in it!

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

pork never goes bad posted:

Invis - Look for panting or lethargy tonight. If you see them more often than usual, it is probably worth contacting an emergency vet. My cat had got into onion many times and luckily it's always been too little for a real problem, but many vet calls have drilled in to look for panting. I guess another common reaction is flatulence, topically.

No reactions yet, made an appointment with the vet to take a blood sample to check her platelets. My poor garbage baby. :(

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So my moron cat just ate some dental floss out of the garbage. It wasn't a ton but I couldn't get it from him in time. The internet seems to range from just keep an eye on him and he'll probably pass it to immediately take him to the emergency vet to get it surgically removed. Is this really bad or just something to keep an eye on?

Also a photo of the dumbest cat in the world.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

So my moron cat just ate some dental floss out of the garbage. It wasn't a ton but I couldn't get it from him in time. The internet seems to range from just keep an eye on him and he'll probably pass it to immediately take him to the emergency vet to get it surgically removed. Is this really bad or just something to keep an eye on?

Also a photo of the dumbest cat in the world.

call the vet and ask what you should do

my completely unqualified guess is he might have an upset stomach and it'll pass quickly but :shrug:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats loves playing with dental floss and has definitely eaten it before. I think the risk is low but call your vet if you're anxious about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also if a bit of it sticks out, dont pull

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Synthbuttrange posted:

also if a bit of it sticks out, dont pull

I'm laughing, but also scared!

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Update on our little trash-gremlin, still no symptoms of poisoning. Just got back from the vet who had never seen a cat consume onions of their own free will and had to look up the symptoms, physically she seems normal and healthy so??
The vet offered to do a blood-test but honestly she already seemed to think it was overkill at this point and we didn't want to put Katya through that just to ease our minds so we opted to just keep a close eye on her.

She also saved me from this huge spider today by eating it. :3:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mel loves to play with string but I have to watch her because she also likes to eat string, because she's dumb. She has eaten ribbons and dental floss, multiple times, and each time I have to watch her like a goddamn hawk for a few hours to make sure she's not showing signs of intestinal blockage.

Look at this stupid, dumb, idiot cat:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Update on our little trash-gremlin, still no symptoms of poisoning. Just got back from the vet who had never seen a cat consume onions of their own free will and had to look up the symptoms, physically she seems normal and healthy so??
The vet offered to do a blood-test but honestly she already seemed to think it was overkill at this point and we didn't want to put Katya through that just to ease our minds so we opted to just keep a close eye on her.

She also saved me from this huge spider today by eating it. :3:

Yeah I think you are worried about nothing. The onion thing seems to be mostly either a cat consuming a lot of onions all at once or continually eating small amounts of onions over a long period of time. A cat eating a few pieces of onion isn't going to really affect them.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I think you are worried about nothing. The onion thing seems to be mostly either a cat consuming a lot of onions all at once or continually eating small amounts of onions over a long period of time. A cat eating a few pieces of onion isn't going to really affect them.

Yeah, we do feel like overly anxious pet-parents right now but oh well.
The internet says poisoning occurs from as little as 5 grams per kg of cat, and she only weighs 3kg. The thing is that there is no way of knowing how much actual onion she ate because it was mixed in, she also ate a lot of potato(wtf), egg, and some chorizo.

Maybe she just has an insanely strong stomach from living in a garbage-dump before we adopted her. v:shobon:v

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Either way I'm glad she's okay!

My bitty kitty's future mom stopped by my desk today to squeak with enthusiasm over the bitty. It's so nice to know she'll have a loving home!

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

I found some kittens in my garage and now they are in the closet of my spare bedroom. Help!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

que sera sera posted:

I found some kittens in my garage and now they are in the closet of my spare bedroom. Help!!

Is the mom anywhere to be found? Anyway there's a dedicated foster/rescue thread here with experienced people! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

que sera sera posted:

How big are they?

I have a question about cat posture/behavior. Wozo willingly accepts petting when she's in cat loaf or curled up into a ball, but when she flops on her side that seems more like playtime mode. If I my hands or feet go near here when she's on her side flopping around, she will bat at them (not with claws though). If I try to pet her like that she squirms and bats at me and I'm pretty sure that's communicating "no touch, want to play." She also does that when I'm trying to pick her up and she doesn't want to be, I go to scoop her up and she'll immediately flop roll on her side and use her paws to defend.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

I have a question about cat posture/behavior. Wozo willingly accepts petting when she's in cat loaf or curled up into a ball, but when she flops on her side that seems more like playtime mode. If I my hands or feet go near here when she's on her side flopping around, she will bat at them (not with claws though). If I try to pet her like that she squirms and bats at me and I'm pretty sure that's communicating "no touch, want to play." She also does that when I'm trying to pick her up and she doesn't want to be, I go to scoop her up and she'll immediately flop roll on her side and use her paws to defend.

You are correct, that is cat posture and behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You are correct, that is cat posture and behavior.

I guess I didn't include a question! What does the side flop mean and am I interpreting it correctly?