Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Guardian has an article up on those crazy bail conditions.

One of the people given said conditions was best boy Scott Ludlum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Thinking emoji that thinks so hard blood comes out of its eyes.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
*jbp’s visage looks down from the sky, proudly wiping away a single tear*

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Anidav posted:

"Of course we stand with Hong Kong protestors they are fighting for democratic and justice rights."

also them "Lock up these fuckin protestors aye"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Aren't the courts already throwing out the ridiculous bail conditions on account of them being borderline unconstitutional?*

(until the fuckheads in ALP state govts pass a specific law to make it illegal to do anything other than stand perfectly still in the assigned areas and such, because WE'RE LEARNING THE LESSONS OF 2019)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
‘Use them as a speed bump’: Kerri-Anne Kennerley suggests running over climate change protesters

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Kerri-Anne is one potent boomer lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Just in case any thread-readers aren’t aware of the criticisms of Extinction Rebellion, here are a few articles. They cover a lot of ground but all mention the objection to getting arrested and cooperating with the police (in order to get arrested??) as a core tactic of XR.

I’m not really anti-XR but I do wonder about their long-term effectiveness. Time will tell of course, but right now there’s a whiff of ‘feelgood activism’ about them that concerns me. Simultaneously I’m encouraged by their existence and growth but wish they were... better. Like actually as radical as they claim to be. (I wouldn’t discourage anyone from choosing to get involved though. But also, be aware that XR aren’t the only climate activism game in town.)

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbm3q4/extinction-rebellion-xr-is-shaped-by-middle-class-white-people-it-does-not-serve-people-of-color

https://whysocialmovementsmatter.com/news/2019/10/3/dear-xr-why-not-be-more-honest-with-your-participants

https://thinkingdoingchanging.com/2019/04/18/lets-talk-about-extinction-rebellion/

I only read the vice article but man, I hated it. I'm glad XR is being run by people who are consciously resisting the urge to stymie their efforts with idpol crap.

Who the gently caress are these people helping when they write articles with titles like "The Unbearable Whiteness of Green"? Honestly. A real, broad church climate action movement isn't going to eat itself with idpol splits.

quote:

For all its apparent novelty, XR embodies the same problems: It overwhelmingly reflects the concerns, priorities, and ideas of middle-class white people in rich countries of the global north. By doing so, it ends up silencing the stories of our communities, who for hundreds of years, have been resisting the root causes of climate change.

What rubbish.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Please explain, in concrete terms, exactly how coordinated civil disobedience "silences" indigenous people and people of colour?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://twitter.com/payalclimate/status/1118170044096184322

LOOK at this poo poo. An XR person privately asked someone if they would like to join. They use it as an opportunity to accurse them of vaguely defined racism? gently caress this.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

more like extinction whitebellion am i right

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bell jar posted:

more like whitestinction whitebellion am i white

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

Please explain, in concrete terms, exactly how coordinated civil disobedience "silences" indigenous people and people of colour?

I don't know how it is in other states/countries, but XRWA is working very closely with the local indigenous communities, and I believe that XR opened this week of planned disobedience with a welcome to country with the local elders.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

“being willing to put yourself at risk of prosecution is white privilege” is not a take that’s unique to this thread by any means, there are a lot of stupid people out there

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

I don't know how it is in other states/countries, but XRWA is working very closely with the local indigenous communities, and I believe that XR opened this week of planned disobedience with a welcome to country with the local elders.

I'm not surprised. Good on everyone involved.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Amethyst posted:

https://twitter.com/payalclimate/status/1118170044096184322

LOOK at this poo poo. An XR person privately asked someone if they would like to join. They use it as an opportunity to accurse them of vaguely defined racism? gently caress this.

Just....look at this again. This person was INVITED to join and contribute to the movement. To be listened to and included. They treated it as an opportunity to publicly shame that behavior? Why? Why not respond with your concerns instead? This is narcissistic wokeness exhibitionism. I'm glad they have removed themselves from the actual relevant political moment.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 9, 2019

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

ive already seen people blaming towns without water in spring on greenies stopping people building dams. its always gonna be the greenies fault. that book avs linked ages ago goes into how media determines peoples realities, an interesting bit was

1951 lmao. every shithead you see spouting anti-environmental pablum was assigned their opinions from the same sources of information owned by a handful of people.

meanwhile, leaving aside the futility of relying on dams when the rain doesnt fall, new dams actually are being built. except theyre not for public use, theyre to steal water that would be going into the rivers, for private profits

quote:

A report from The Australia Institute rejects government claims new dams are not being built, saying at least 20 to 30 large private dams have been constructed in the Murray-Darling basin in recent years.

While information on the number of private dams and the cost of their taxpayer subsidy is limited, the report says “it appears that just two of these dams cost taxpayers nearly $30 million”.

“Over $200 million was spent on dam-related projects [in the Murray-Darling Basin] according to official data, although not all of this will have been specifically on dams,” it says,

Maryanne Slattery, senior water researcher at the institute, said politicians don’t want to talk about these dams because “they do nothing for drought-stricken communities, the health of the river or struggling farmers”.

“These dams have been built on private land and are for the exclusive use of corporate agribusiness, such as Webster Limited,” she said.

The report argues such dams are not the best way to save water. It points to the department of agriculture and water resources saying new dams can save water where they replace shallower ones (which have more evaporation), or where they collect recycled irrigation water.

“However, none of the three case-study dams in this report save water in this way. They are new dams, not replacing smaller, shallower dams. Water stored behind their approximately eight metre high walls would otherwise be stored in public headwater dams around 100 metres deep.”

These dams are designed to divert normal irrigation water and “supplementary water” – not to simply recycle irrigation water, the report says. Thus “they increase both evaporation and irrigation water use”.

Supplementary water is water that is surplus to consumptive needs. It is important environmentally and to downstream users, historically making up almost all the water flowing from the Murrumbidgee into the Murray, the report says.

“With major dams now targeting this water, the Murrumbidgee could be disconnected from the Murray in most years. This has implications for all NSW Basin water users, who are already grappling with how to meet downstream obligations within the Murray’s constraints and with no water coming down the Darling.”

The report says a Canadian pension fund had just been reported as “swooping” on Webster, “with specific mention of a property with one of these new dams”.

“The new dams that Australian taxpayers helped build appear to be highly valued by international investors,” the report says.

https://theconversation.com/dams-are-being-built-but-they-are-private-australia-institute-124807

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

I missed that Abbott was appointed to the board of the war memorial, lmao, very cool
if he’s qualified for anything it’d be that

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Aren't the courts already throwing out the ridiculous bail conditions on account of them being borderline unconstitutional?*

(until the fuckheads in ALP state govts pass a specific law to make it illegal to do anything other than stand perfectly still in the assigned areas and such, because WE'RE LEARNING THE LESSONS OF 2019)

From The grapes of wrath by George Steinbeck 1939

quote:

The sad boy from Unit Two said, “I lived out at Sunlan’ Lan’ an’ Cattle Company’s place. Honest to God, they got a cop for ever’ ten people. Got one water faucet for ’bout two hundred people.”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Amethyst posted:

It's just ridiculous whining that it's exclusive to people with the privilege to participate and that it's trying to broadly address the single issue. It's good that people with privileged places care and do things.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

It's just ridiculous whining that it's exclusive to people with the privilege to participate

also its not true, there are plenty of groups within XR that are open to people who don't want to get arrested, as I've mentioned earlier.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

xr should start a guerilla tree planting campaign

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

GoldStandardConure posted:

also its not true, there are plenty of groups within XR that are open to people who don't want to get arrested, as I've mentioned earlier.

Is this group genuinely run by cops, they seem to have pretty mutual goals in regards to organising?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Peccadillo posted:

Is this group genuinely run by cops, they seem to have pretty mutual goals in regards to organising?

yes, its actually a false flag opperation designed to bring down The Greens from inside, but don't tell anyone I told you that.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Amethyst posted:

Literally every meeting or action or gathering of any kind begins with an acknowledgement of original ownership and that the land was never ceded.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/mcberkman/status/1181776141599662080

the smart state

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

arms whit

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

“being willing to put yourself at risk of prosecution is white privilege” is not a take that’s unique to this thread by any means, there are a lot of stupid people out there

not having a reasonable fear of being brutalized or killed at the hands of police is white privilege, but using your privileged status to benefit others is good.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

"Go live overseas for a while and see if you come back with the same sense of entitlement[...]I've never been overseas myself (can't afford it)" :cripes:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Just....look at this again. This person was INVITED to join and contribute to the movement. To be listened to and included. They treated it as an opportunity to publicly shame that behavior? Why? Why not respond with your concerns instead? This is narcissistic wokeness exhibitionism. I'm glad they have removed themselves from the actual relevant political moment.

She’s got more important things to do such as appearing in a cartoon

https://twitter.com/payalclimate/status/1136525884209410048?s=20

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

not having a reasonable fear of being brutalized or killed at the hands of police is white privilege, but using your privileged status to benefit others is good.

yes thank you it is very important to make people acutely aware of their original sin and to keep that tension bubbling along while in the middle of what should be a mutual struggle for survival

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I like how the federal election result made Queensland Labor so broke brained that Annastacia Palaszczuk is now Judge Dredd throwing hippies into the cubes.

Hmmmm.

I think I hate the Labor Party.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Anidav posted:

I like how the federal election result made Queensland Labor so broke brained that Annastacia Palaszczuk is now Judge Dredd throwing hippies into the cubes.

Hmmmm.

Too late, you made your bed now you have to love them up to the the point where Palaszcuk makes it illegal to be Anidav in particular

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

yes thank you it is very important to make people acutely aware of their original sin and to keep that tension bubbling along while in the middle of what should be a mutual struggle for survival

if i have live every day with crippling self esteem issues i don't see why anyone else should be different

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Hmmmm.

its a dying workers party and you can leave it anytime anidav

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Channel 10 checked and it's actually funny, and her fantasies are a welcome addition to the wonderful rainbow of the discourse

https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/1181773951023763457

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 9, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I love the pigs being :qq: about how their resources are being severely stretched by climate protests

Yes, that’s the loving point you dipshits

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-09/transport-company-falls-for-april-fools-fake-news-joke/11586356

quote:

A transport company seeking lucrative contracts to run Adelaide's public transport networks has shared fake quotes of former Labor ministers in an apparent bid to assist the South Australian Liberal Government press its case for rail privatisation.
An email from Downer Group's manager of government partnerships Sasha Grebe was sent on July 2, 2019, the day after SA Transport Minister Stephan Knoll announced the outsourcing.

Mr Grebe, who was Scott Morrison's communications director until 2017, sent the email to recipients including an official from Mr Knoll's department.
"These might be helpful," Mr Grebe wrote, going on to detail a series of quotes attributed to Labor frontbenchers Tom Koutsantonis and Stephen Mullighan in 2014.
The quotes — which were fabricated — state the former Labor government was considering a partial privatisation of rail services.
Hang on, this privatisation stuff isn't being done in good faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

I love the pigs being :qq: about how their resources are being severely stretched by climate protests

Yes, that’s the loving point you dipshits

someone gets it