Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Musk does make rockets, though.

Also "the simulation in this driving game is so realistic that turning the wheels will slow you down!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i would expect that you can also set the weather locally so you don't have to wait for december if you want to fly in the snow.

but ya the game looks fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc

(new footage starts at 3:30)

they're planning on having all 44,000 airports in the world available so probability is good you can just find an airport that it happens to be snowing at

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i am sure there will be at some point. there are a number of historical airports that people might want to fly to (meigs field, kai tak, etc) and someone will cater to that market.

there's no way it would realistically happen but i think it would be super cool to use historical aerial photos to make an expansion pack set in some particular era. e.g. fly a 707 from jfk to lax in 1962, with period-accurate scenery and navigation

it's kinda funny reading the popular press on this thing; one article i saw was going like "the modeling will be so detailed that extending your landing gear will slow you down!!" and "spiraling airflow from the propeller will affect the way the plane flies!!!" and it's like yes, parasitic drag and the slipstream effect are extremely important parts of light aircraft aerodynamics and flight sims have been simulating that for, um, ever

this post jogged a memory of reading the game manual for Flight Unlimited (1995) way back in the day. it had explanations of all these aerodynamic and gyroscopic effects, how they would affect the handling of the planes, how different stunt maneuvers actually worked aerodynamically. I miss fat game manuals

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

this post jogged a memory of reading the game manual for Flight Unlimited (1995) way back in the day. it had explanations of all these aerodynamic and gyroscopic effects, how they would affect the handling of the planes, how different stunt maneuvers actually worked aerodynamically. I miss fat game manuals

I miss enormous cardboard boxes that ultimately bore a single jewel case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i watched the preview video again and hnngngngngnnhhhhhh i want this thing so bad

e: it's also made me look at Bing Maps aerial photography around the world to see what sort of scenery to expect, and holy poo poo. i can zoom in and see some random farmer's motorcycle outside his shack in the outskirts of rajasthan. if something house-sized or larger exists anywhere in the real world it looks like you'll be able to find it in the game

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 9, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i watched the preview video again and hnngngngngnnhhhhhh i want this thing so bad

e: it's also made me look at Bing Maps aerial photography around the world to see what sort of scenery to expect, and holy poo poo. i can zoom in and see some random farmer's motorcycle outside his shack in the outskirts of rajasthan. if something house-sized or larger exists anywhere in the real world it looks like you'll be able to find it in the game

even if it is not particularly good as a flight sim it will be interesting just for the loving high quality scenery

maybe mods will be generated to make it back into a good flight sim

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the info in the previews all suggests it will be a Really Good flight sim. they know the right things to say, anyway, and they haven't said anything to suggest that they're chasing the casual/gamified market.

like, it will support simplified operations for people who don't want to do the clicky cockpits, but apparently they're implementing that by having all the switches click themselves at the appropriate times rather than just simplifying the model. there's even going to be a guided/intermediate mode where switches will be highlighted and your viewpoint will shift to look at it when you're supposed to do something with it.

it sounds super great to me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and man, imagine if they put military planes in it? no need to ever build another combat flight simulator. want to fly a virtual mission to nuke korea well uhhh you just put your planes in korea and go for it. the terrain and buildings and airfields are already there. bing maps even has car- and shrub-level resolution of pyongyang, somehow.

microsoft probably won't do that though. they took the world trade center out of fs2002, which was released a month after 9/11, and no version since has had it (out of the box). there's even a flight sim grognard conspiracy theory that if you fly an airliner into a national landmark the simulator will phone home and alert the nsa, lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

there's even a flight sim grognard conspiracy theory that if you fly an airliner into a national landmark the simulator will phone home and alert the nsa, lol

i hope this is actually true because lol

i spent so much time destroying landmarks in ye olde f-22

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i spent so much time destroying landmarks in ye olde f-22

lightning 3 was even better

sim developers are real squirmy about putting nukes in their games for some reason. like the DCS developers, who are usually incredibly anal about accurately simulating every system (your virtual teeth will start chattering if you don't put the cabin heat up on a cold day) refuse to put in nuclear weapons "because using them is unconscionable" or something. as if everything everyone does in a combat sim isn't already a war crime.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

sim developers are real squirmy about putting nukes in their games for some reason. like the DCS developers, who are usually incredibly anal about accurately simulating every system (your virtual teeth will start chattering if you don't put the cabin heat up on a cold day) refuse to put in nuclear weapons "because using them is unconscionable" or something. as if everything everyone does in a combat sim isn't already a war crime.

we need the carmageddon of flight sims

just war crimes, as a game, with point scores for being the biggest imperialist / genocidaire

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
on the other side, you have X-plane which is built by maybe 5 people and is focused on the aerodynamics modeling engine at the expense of absolutely everything else, to the point where they're just now getting around to making it not single-core, and are in the process of moving the engine over to Vulkan/Metal.

Oh you want actual scenery and terrain data? Okay you gotta run some shell scripts from a German dude which scrapes OSM and Google Maps and hope you don't trip some unknowable rate limit, then edit a bunch of .ini files and hope you put the scenery in the right place and numbered it in the right order. If you're really lucky, someone's still seeding a 300 GB scenery pack on BitTorrent of the area you want. You still have to download the 3D object files for the houses for this pack btw, or the world just becomes a grey blob with oceans and just the runways

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

on the other side, you have X-plane which is built by maybe 5 people and is focused on the aerodynamics modeling engine at the expense of absolutely everything else, to the point where they're just now getting around to making it not single-core, and are in the process of moving the engine over to Vulkan/Metal.

Oh you want actual scenery and terrain data? Okay you gotta run some shell scripts from a German dude which scrapes OSM and Google Maps and hope you don't trip some unknowable rate limit, then edit a bunch of .ini files and hope you put the scenery in the right place and numbered it in the right order. If you're really lucky, someone's still seeding a 300 GB scenery pack on BitTorrent of the area you want. You still have to download the 3D object files for the houses for this pack btw, or the world just becomes a grey blob with oceans and just the runways

even if the new flight simulator isn't perfect i think we can expect a whole shitload of community work to develop mods / sims that use the flight scenery in all kinds of cool new things

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
It's pretty clear at this point that one of the major features which got cut was a quality synthetic ATC system, but here's hoping that they'll make the Bing AI Controller the highlight of the 2022 version or whatever.

X-Plane's is very bad though, and will not hesitate to vector you into the side of a mountain.

It Would Be Cool If MS decided to have their hardware team get back into flight sim controllers, since the last good force-feedback joystick was the Sidewinder from like 2002.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

look at this poo poo. this is a zoom into a random spot in the middle of paraguay.

you could be flying literally anywhere in the world and pick which direction to approach a field for an emergency landing based on whether it's been plowed. i really hope they don't gently caress this up because good lord

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I know I'm going to regret getting a good answer for this but what's a good joystick for a noob to get for this game?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

and man, imagine if they put military planes in it? no need to ever build another combat flight simulator. want to fly a virtual mission to nuke korea well uhhh you just put your planes in korea and go for it. the terrain and buildings and airfields are already there. bing maps even has car- and shrub-level resolution of pyongyang, somehow.

microsoft probably won't do that though. they took the world trade center out of fs2002, which was released a month after 9/11, and no version since has had it (out of the box). there's even a flight sim grognard conspiracy theory that if you fly an airliner into a national landmark the simulator will phone home and alert the nsa, lol

They need to license the rights to include airplane models from their respective manufacturers and if it's anything like putting real car models in driving games, civil airplane manufacturers may not be ok with their planes appearing in a game alongside military aircrafts or in a game where you can destroy things

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I know I'm going to regret getting a good answer for this but what's a good joystick for a noob to get for this game?

I got a saitek yoke. it's plasticy, but needs suiting.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Sagebrush posted:

lightning 3 was even better

the mig-21 has two different nuclear weapons - they just dont really have a model for them going off. they just kill poo poo in a certain area.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sagebrush posted:

it was f’d up when they removed building collisions

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c13VFfHxdc

need to get the yospos flight sim gang together

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

hell yeah

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I looked at that saitek yoke it looks dumb as hell I don't want to bolt something to my desk i need a HOTAS please send the HOTAS recommendation ASAP

HOTAS please thank you for the HOTAS.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

I looked at that saitek yoke it looks dumb as hell I don't want to bolt something to my desk i need a HOTAS please send the HOTAS recommendation ASAP

either you bolt it to your desk, or it has such a huge base that it essentially covers your desk

for obvious reasons you need the stick to be, uh, stable

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i have the thrustmaster HOTAS cougar, which is a repro of the f-16 flight sticks, and it's rather heavy, around 4-5 pounds each so it won't move around on your desk. it's one of the few that is heavy enough where it works well, but they're a bit spendy.

e: i just looked and they're no longer available at retail, but they have newer models that seem ok but it looks like they're stupid expensive now

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
thrustmaster warthog hotas is the only one to consider :getin:

yokes suck sorry

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 15, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

if you're on a budget you want the THRUSTMASTER HOT rear end X which costs about $69 [nice]

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Stick-PC/dp/B001CXYMFS/

but a better option is the T.16000 which has a linear throttle and feels more solid, though it costs twice as much

https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA

if you have an unlimited budget the Warthog is fantastic and weighs literally like 20 pounds and has a split throttle for multi-engine planes and such. you will also need rudder pedals with this one (the other two have pseudo-rudder axes built into the stick).

https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960720-Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog/dp/B00371R8P4

it even has addon grips that cost as much as the whole system for if you really desperately need that sort of accuracy. here is one for an f/a-18 (the stock one is a replica of what's in the A-10 or F-16C)

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-VG-18-Grip-Add-PC/dp/B07H1Z3L67/

saitek stuff is generally kind of chintzy. logitech stuff is rebranded saitek these days and is not significantly better, but if you're on a super budget you can buy just the Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro which is a real logitech design from their old days and it is still good for 30 dollars.

Lightbulb Out posted:

thrustmaster warthog hotas is the only one to consider :getin:

yokes suck sorry

yokes are actually nicer than sticks imo because they're much more precise but plastic flight sim yokes are really annoying because they don't have the correct amount of travel. a real airplane yoke moves about 12 inches in pitch and turns 90 degrees each way; a cheap sim yoke turns 45 degrees and moves 4 inches and that's frustrating. i am building myself a custom one that has the full range of motion and uses a real yoke handgrip from a cessna 150 because i'm extra.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 15, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lightbulb Out posted:

i will definitely help troll this game with a bunch of yosposters

the ATC servers usually ban you for obvious griefing like LOL DECLARING HIJACKING EVERYONE OUT OF MY WAY, but there are much more subtle and entertaining things to do, like get a gang of 12 people in piper cubs and all fly to the same airport at the same time and poo poo up the traffic pattern and make the airliner spergs have to keep going around because they can't slow down enough to follow you in

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Sagebrush posted:

yokes are actually nicer than sticks imo because they're much more precise but plastic flight sim yokes are really annoying because they don't have the correct amount of travel. a real airplane yoke moves about 12 inches in pitch and turns 90 degrees each way; a cheap sim yoke turns 45 degrees and moves 4 inches and that's frustrating. i am building myself a custom one that has the full range of motion and uses a real yoke handgrip from a cessna 150 because i'm extra.

yeah the point being a snob about is that real airplanes have sticks.

much preferred flying the n3n with a stick than the 172 with a yoke

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, i know the snobbery -- real airplanes are taildraggers with a stick. which is why there are more tricycle-gear yoke-operated planes in the world by an enormous margin, and why there are more c172s specifically than any other aircraft.

i'd attribute your experience to the c172 specifically being kind of a boring turd. like it's fine but that's all it is. the 150-sized cessnas are really light and pleasant in comparison (if you can fit inside, no fatties) and you can fly them with two fingers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
As a yosposter you should know that my budget for "stuff I can't show a girlfriend, if I had one, which I don't" is virtually unlimited.

Pretty impressive writeup and very helpful thank you :)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
the 210 was fun, though only rode in that one while doing air to air photography.

i just got a warthog hotass and have been waiting impatiently for dcs world steam sales

really looking forward to doing some sim-flying with a more realistic world

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lightbulb Out posted:

hot dang that’s pretty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lightbulb Out posted:

really looking forward to doing some sim-flying with a more realistic world

the most fun i've had in flight sims in a long time is flying the dcs f-14 as RIO (goose) with a friend in front as the pilot (maverick). i would kill to be able to do that in this new MSFS world map. let me do a Red Dawn mission where we have to fly from montana to seattle and shoot down migs over the space needle. goddamn. so cool

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
HOTAS shows up tomorrow, already got my pedals and my friends are downloading DCS so that we can have a 'start the engine" race on discord.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

which plane?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

meigs field

i had to look this up and i was not disappointed

quote:

In a controversial and illegal move on the night of Sunday, March 30, 2003, Mayor Daley ordered city crews to destroy the runway immediately by bulldozing large X-shaped gouges into the runway surface in the middle of the night.[14]
"To do this any other way would have been needlessly contentious," Daley explained at a news conference Monday morning, March 31.[16]

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sagebrush posted:

which plane?

I got the warthog hotas, so I got the A-10 DLC for DCS to check out how it maps. DCS is a real pain in the rear end though. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get things mostly working. I still have a couple issues with the mouse-camera breaking and losing the ability to use f1, f2 etc to pick which camera I want, and whenever you quit DCS it automatically relaunches until you ctr+alt+del it.

Overall though pretty neat. In about an hour I was able to takeoff from runway, do a circle, touch and go. I haven't figured out what button turns on the airbrake yet but I think I can land if I look up the hotkey. I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow and see how it goes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think airbrake is B by default, but it should also be mapped to the gray 3-way thumb switch (locks forward, momentary back) on the throttle.

DCS is the biggest pain in the rear end and i don't think i have had a single multiplayer session where something didn't go wrong. at the very least you will have connection desync errors and it's likely that you will just immediately explode on spawning for no apparent reason. it's the DCS Experience (tm)

but it's still by far the best high-fidelity combat jet sim out there and when everything comes together it's magnificent.

it's a lot like arma that way. nothing quite like it when it works, but "it works" will be 5-10% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Salt Fish posted:

I got the warthog hotas, so I got the A-10 DLC for DCS to check out how it maps. DCS is a real pain in the rear end though. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get things mostly working. I still have a couple issues with the mouse-camera breaking and losing the ability to use f1, f2 etc to pick which camera I want, and whenever you quit DCS it automatically relaunches until you ctr+alt+del it.

Overall though pretty neat. In about an hour I was able to takeoff from runway, do a circle, touch and go. I haven't figured out what button turns on the airbrake yet but I think I can land if I look up the hotkey. I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow and see how it goes.

typically the airbrake is one of the rockers on the throttle. at least - that's how it comes stock set up on a couple other places.