Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

pseudosavior posted:

I can't get rid of this idea of a Shoal of Deep Thing-associated Mer who hijack a submarine for reasons unknown.

To fight the underwater Gangrel who also have a sub. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

joylessdivision posted:

To fight the underwater Gangrel who also have a sub. Duh.

Nah the Gangrel have a dom

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Nah the Gangrel have a dom

Fanging and banging indeed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pseudosavior posted:

I can't get rid of this idea of a Shoal of Deep Thing-associated Mer who hijack a submarine for reasons unknown.
Seaman container.

It would be interesting to explore Vampire less as sexy monster or TV psychopath but more as people who have to live in the weird marginal spaces of society. The guy with the powerful domain isn't the banker or billionaire, though he has pull; it's the guy who has three locksmiths ghouled and knows how to get in and out of several dense housing subdevelopments comfortably, "for the cunctator's pleasure."

In this version I imagine the paranoid rants about how increased housing density is the one world government's plan also bring up the vampires.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Gerund posted:

Looks like Paradox is getting back into the classic World of Darkness tactic of telling people how they can't profit off of their IP after taking a year off after the international incident and losing the Gangrel name:

https://www.white-wolf.com/dark-pack

Pretty sure streams have been accepted as significantly altered works that you can make money off of for a while now but I guess putting out a decal for the Brand Supporters to use in their thumbnails is a minor benefit.

This isn't new, this has been up for a while. It's a pretty bog standard usage list.

Also, streaming revenue is explicitly covered, maybe you should go back and re-read it.

Dark Pack posted:

You may accept donations for your time and materials through Patreon or similar services, or through sponsorships.

You may accept subscription fees and revenues allowable through streaming platforms such as Twitch, YouTube, Mixer, etc.

You may sell your Material through the Storytellers Vault, our official program that allows you to create and sell certain types of content through our authorized web portal.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Seems like a good excuse for them to issue unenforceable but sufficiently chilling C&Ds to anyone trying to monetize videos critical of their work on YouTube, including discussions of the tabletop games and, say, any upcoming long-awaited PC games married to a new and controversial edition of the game.

Or, y'know, protecting their IP. Copyright law would require them to attempt to enforce the copyright; if they didn't, future attempts to enforce it after they let some slide would be harder to hold up in court. Legally they have to do this type of stuff.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Night10194 posted:

Did oWoD ever set anything especially important in Detroit, actually? It seems like a city that would be interesting for supernatural shenanigans.

One of the biggest misses I saw in oWoD for Detroit was not using it as a place to actually have a lot of the middle east/North Africa supernatural stuff be front and center for North American campaigns. I'm guessing back in the 90s a lot of the authors weren't aware of how big the middle eastern population is here, but there's all sorts of interesting intersections to play around with. You've got communities from Syria and Iraq (both Muslim and Christian), Lebanese, Somalian, Yemeni, all coming at different times and for different reasons over the last hundred years. And those are just some of the bigger communities specific to the Middle East, leaving out the Polish, Irish, Jewish, Italian, as well as internal migrations from within the US. There's lots of ways to draw interesting characters out of that that would be different from the standard cam/sabbat/anarch city setup in North America.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gerund posted:

losing the Gangrel name:

what?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/exclusive-free-white-wolf-gangrel-now-owns-his-name%3famp

The wrestler Gangrel from the old WWF got the rights to the name because lol never cross Vince McMahon

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
clan gangrel now renamed The Macho Savages, offending no one and attracting absolutely no controversy.

their clan weakness is now called AAAAAAWWWOOOOOOOOHHHHH YEAH!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

joylessdivision posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/exclusive-free-white-wolf-gangrel-now-owns-his-name%3famp

The wrestler Gangrel from the old WWF got the rights to the name because lol never cross Vince McMahon

Nah. Trademarks are product specific. That guy has it for wrestling and hot sauce (also tshirts and protein powders). White Wolf (WHITE WOLF ENTERTAINMENT AB AKTIEBOLAG SWEDEN) for role playing games and jewelry.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ulmont posted:

Nah. Trademarks are product specific. That guy has it for wrestling and hot sauce (also tshirts and protein powders). White Wolf (WHITE WOLF ENTERTAINMENT AB AKTIEBOLAG SWEDEN) for role playing games and jewelry.

Ah gotcha, I didn't read it super carefully.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

clan gangrel now renamed The Macho Savages, offending no one and attracting absolutely no controversy.

their clan weakness is now called AAAAAAWWWOOOOOOOOHHHHH YEAH!

Wrestling/WoD Mashup please.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I did a quick file check and there's a few interesting bits and pieces around Detroit - the horrifying worm ghoul farm, an ITX construct, a Lost Boys pack in Orpheus - but it really is a total missed opportunity. White Wolf was very reticent about actually exploring Sabbat held territories (Mexico City by Night and Montreal by Night are the exceptions, and I suspect also demonstrate why - they felt a need to shock whenever they did and, of course, viewed Sabbat games as always tangential to core anarch/Camarilla games) so it's not a big surprise but it is a shame, especially since the same themes that made people dig Chicago by Night are at play in Detroit. How does the Sabbat handle the downturn and desperation - are there factions looking to bring manufacturing back to reverse the steady drain of feeding resources from their territory? Are they deliberately working to worsen the poverty to stem the same? There's so much that can be done with it: a decaying industrial giant riddled with vampiric parasites; gateway to the Sabbat North, ringed and besieged by the hordes of the Antediluvians and under constant infiltration and attack; a once great center of culture brought to its knees by the shortage of the precious fluids that industrial society devours in a clear vampiric metaphor...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yeah how the gently caress can you muck up UNDEAD BLOOD-WARRIORS RAGING AGAINST THE CORPSES OF GOD'S CHILDREN. oh by being boring edgelord dipshits who don't understand rebellion as anything other than one-dimensional antisocial shock humor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

yeah how the gently caress can you muck up UNDEAD BLOOD-WARRIORS RAGING AGAINST THE CORPSES OF GOD'S CHILDREN. oh by being boring edgelord dipshits who don't understand rebellion as anything other than one-dimensional antisocial shock humor.
To be fair they probably hosed it up a little by making the Sabbat such an unambiguous contrast to the Camarilla being pro-Humanity (in the vague moral sense, mind you). The Sabbat's big distinguishing selling point beyond having sex orgies and being Hispanic (?) and sort of evil Catholic (??) was that they had the Paths, right, and the thing is that most of these Paths were basically "you become some kind of ritualized super-vampire."

Which makes sense and is internally consistent but at a certain point it's like, "OK, your character only takes a break from reading books on this particular ancient topic to go drink some blood, if they absolutely have to. If they don't, it's a Degeneration check." Alternately they are on the Path of Being the Joker, the Path of Being A Pedantic Goth Witch, the Path of Ethnically Offensive Simplification, or the Path of Strictly Constructed Vampilawful Good.

The Anarchs also removed or at least occupied the design space of "egalitarian/against elder rule (or at least elder rule by virtue of being an elder)", otherwise they could have had a dichotomy between "egalitarian and better for YOU, but also a crazed blood sex cult" and "hierarchal and worse for YOU, but substantially less prone towards regular blood orgies."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Once again, someone typed all those words when reqiuem completely obviates their necessity

Also, open call for horrorscopes time!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

joylessdivision posted:

Some of that came up at the end of the last thread. Following Mors' post I now accept as canon the idea that Brock Lesnar is a Promethean.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

Once again, someone typed all those words when reqiuem completely obviates their necessity

Do two print runs with one slight variant. In print run 1, Ventrue: It's time to make your big move. The stars are with you! In print run 2, Ventrue: They're going to ruin everything tonight. Stop them at all costs.

Actually that'd be a fun little theme, really.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nessus posted:

Alternately they are on the Path of Being the Joker, the Path of Being A Pedantic Goth Witch, the Path of Ethnically Offensive Simplification, or the Path of Strictly Constructed Vampilawful Good.

Thankfully there was also the Path of What I Was Going To Do Anyway.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shrecknet posted:

Tremere: The House of Tin will melt when Mars draws ascendant. Are you Fortified?

Setites: Tongues smell better when they're forked.

Giovanni: You get no grain if you do not pay the Millner.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Gangrel: How sure are you that your furry friends are actually your friends? No reason. It's not like anyone else can see through dog's eyes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You know thinking back to the oWoD there's really no downside to being a vampire if you aren't a monster to begin with and are willing to do some occult research. There's powers that take care of all the flaws. Hell I know like 3 powers that let you walk in the sun, and it's not like they are all crazy 9 dot super powers or something. Want to be immortal but afraid you'll miss chocolate? There are powers for that. Too narcissistic to live a life were your downstairs don't work right? Also powers for that. Frenzy? You can mitigate it. Having to drink blood? It's not too hard to make animal blood as filling as human blood or even pure vitae. Any particular downside you care to name was dealt with somewhere, by someone, and most of them could be learned by practically any vampire. And the Thin-Bloods that can't learn some of them can still learn the rest, and the ones they lose are generally covered by the innate perks of being Thin-Blooded.

e: Really, I don't know what those jackasses were so angsty about.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 9, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

joylessdivision posted:

Ah gotcha, I didn't read it super carefully.

There were as many as 5 active WoD fantasy wrestling federations active at one point in the 90s. My pander technical grappler became cruiserweight champion in one of them

:goonsay:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Omnicrom posted:

Some of that came up at the end of the last thread. Following Mors' post I now accept as canon the idea that Brock Lesnar is a Promethean.
What's his Wasteland, the WWE writer's room?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mulva posted:

You know thinking back to the oWoD there's really no downside to being a vampire if you aren't a monster to begin with and are willing to do some occult research. There's powers that take care of all the flaws. Hell I know like 3 powers that let you walk in the sun, and it's not like they are all crazy 9 dot super powers or something. Want to be immortal but afraid you'll miss chocolate? There are powers for that. Too narcissistic to live a life were your downstairs don't work right? Also powers for that. Frenzy? You can mitigate it. Having to drink blood? It's not too hard to make animal blood as filling as human blood or even pure vitae. Any particular downside you care to name was dealt with somewhere, by someone, and most of them could be learned by practically any vampire And the Thin-Bloods that can't learn some of them can still learn the rest, and the ones they lose are generally covered by the innate perks of being Thin-Blooded.

Really, I don't know what those jackasses were so angsty about.
Well, it was the 90s. Outside of big cities, basically nothing but bars is open past 9pm, you can't really even have a lazy night in because there's no streaming services and unless you planned it out in advance, video rental places might not even be open after sunset during the warmer months. Until the tail end of the decade, there's not really any reliable internet you can use to connect with people you haven't directly met since becoming a vampire.

2019's a landscape where it's a lot easier to be an isolated night-weirdo and still develop a robust social circle with which to pursue esoteric interests, without living in 1 of like 4 cities. And from there you can figure out who knows all the fun powers and how you can learn them too, though at that point, you won't even need most of them.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Tias posted:

There were as many as 5 active WoD fantasy wrestling federations active at one point in the 90s. My pander technical grappler became cruiserweight champion in one of them

:goonsay:

The Panders always did make me think of backyard wrestlers...

...or, wait, was that the other way around, given the timelines involved?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Well, it was the 90s. Outside of big cities, basically nothing but bars is open past 9pm, you can't really even have a lazy night in because there's no streaming services and unless you planned it out in advance, video rental places might not even be open after sunset during the warmer months. Until the tail end of the decade, there's not really any reliable internet you can use to connect with people you haven't directly met since becoming a vampire.

2019's a landscape where it's a lot easier to be an isolated night-weirdo and still develop a robust social circle with which to pursue esoteric interests, without living in 1 of like 4 cities. And from there you can figure out who knows all the fun powers and how you can learn them too, though at that point, you won't even need most of them.

This is also why the 1:100k ratio is actually a lot lower than it sounds. 100,000 people is a lot when you only need a minimum of 365 BP a year to survive, right? That's less than 1% of the total population if you feed on someone new each night! But in that population, we have children, the elderly, shut-ins, etc. So let's say that people under 16 make up 10% of the population of a given city of 100,000, and make up a comparatively negligible part of the potential prey population as they're mostly indoors at home/loosely supervised gatherings/etc during peak hunting hours (excluding homeless kids, kids without a structured home life, and so on - if we like, we might put that at 1% of the total 100,000k), which for present purposes are around 10PM to 2AM (plenty of drunks, things are still active but quietening down a little so there's less chance of being observed). We're already down to 90,000/91,000 in our potential pool of prey. We'll make the similar assumption that people over the age of 60 are negligible as part of the prey population (they may still be out and active but more likely in areas unattractive for hunting - social clubs, private residences, etc. Homeless people of this age are also dwindling due to higher mortality.) and mark them out as constituting 15% of the potential pool, bringing us to only 75k prey pool. Of that 75k, there's a good chance quite a few will be at home on a given night (especially week nights) or at community meetings etc that are unappealing targets for hunting activity - if the average member of the population available goes out two nights a week (arbitrary figure, but reasonable enough as an average between the party animals, the people who hang out at bars, and the recluses) then on any given night there's only ~10k people available to feed on. A good chunk of these people will not be suitable targets - moving in groups, only out for a few hours, etc - or available during peak feeding hours, so let's knock an additional third off. The nightly potential prey pool drops to 7k, which is still quite large - but it's also spread over a large geographical area and requires time investment. For Ventrue, of course, the situation is even worse. Of that 7k, a good chunk of those available during the peak hunting hours will be regular partygoers, students, restaurant staff, the homeless, prostitutes, and so on, subject to an already higher than average rate of both mortal and vampiric predation, which in turn means that if you're trying not to be noticed by overfeeding on certain areas and demographics you need to use them sparingly (especially as, if it's a shared hunting ground, they're likely being preyed on by other vampires as well) to prevent them getting sick in clusters and drawing attention. So that enormous 100k:1 ratio dramatically shrinks on a night-to-night basis and already contains a 20-30% non-prey contingent for anyone who doesn't feed via home invasion.

Now drop that population down and introduce the restrictions of smaller cities...

EDIT:
When my thesis is done I might write up an in-universe article on vampire predation models by a Gangrel anthropophagologist working with Netchurch.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

What's his Wasteland, the WWE writer's room?

:vince:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shrecknet posted:

Lasombra Antitribu: I know there's one of you in town and I'm open for an interview.

Ventrue: Poor Folks have neither any Kindred nor any Friends.

Toreador: Are you the butterfly dreaming of being a kindred or the kindred dreaming of being a butterfly?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Malkavian: You are on the right frequency.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Gangrel: Nobody guards the cat flap.

Nosferatu: Guard the cat flap.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 9, 2019

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Tremere: Mercury enters its retrograde turn on All Hallow's Eve. Samiel's Curse upon the Eldest rings loudest in your blood this month.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Brujah: Now's the time.

Malkavian: The time is now.

Nosferatu: It's all coming together.

Ventrue: Now is the time.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sons of Samedi: You exist. Continue to keep up the good effort.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Werewoofles: For the last time, get off the loving furniture.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Tremere: You will receive a visit from an old acquaintance, who shares your interests in occult power. Your word for the week: Massasa.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now I want a campaign with a four way open war/cold war/shifting alliances in Detroit between the Sabbat, the Laibon, Ahadi, and Garou.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Toreador : They DID look better than you, the stars all agree on it. How you live with that from here on in is your problem.

Toreador Antitrubu: Nobody has a problem with you doing your auguries. That said, nobody really wants to be the chicken.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Tzimisce: No one likes a guest who refuses to leave

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oxford By Night chapter three: Elysium.

So, this episode really got us into the swing of dealing with downtime between sessions, each of which was roughly a week apart. Elysium had some interesting downtime for a couple of characters, so let's get to that first. Some of this may well have taken place in the previous episode, but I condensed it OK:

Kitty had taken some of the Violet, the hallucinogenic drug based on Kindred blood, and had agreed to visit one of the local Tremere who was interested in studying it. Arriving at the house, she entered an ever-shifting labyrinth, through which she was unable to proceed without magical guidace, fortunately provided by previously ringing the gate bell. Arriving with Sierra, the Tremere concerned, they chatted for a bit before Kitty agree to give Sierra the drug in exchange for a boon. Sierra, who had evidently forgotten her good scientific technique, then promptly popped the pill open and took a hearty sniff. And then spent the rest of the night tripping BALLS. Oops. Fortunately getting OUT via the labyrinth was much easier.

Struthers was visited by his DPhil student, recently returned from a summer dig in Iran. He revealed that he had found an artefact in there, a wooden box which had some suspicious greek lettering which is written in my notes somewhere, but mentioned, at the very least, The Trinity, and contained an ornate cross. Struthers' eyes would have lit up if they could have, and he retreived a tray for put the thing on (ostensibly to avoid handling it further without gloves, but actually in case it was all burn-y). Said student also revealed that it had all been kicking off a bit in Iran, and he was still really quite shaky. Diagnosing him with an obvious case of shell-shock (Struthers' language is archaic by intention on my part) he was despatched to see Mrs Phipps, Struthers' secretary, to arrange an appointment with the psychiatry service. Struthers arranged with Kitty for her to come over and use Sense the Unseen to see if there was anything wibbly going on. Which there was. He stored it away, and promptly failed several Wits/Awareness checks. The ST made a note.

Andy spent some time in quiet and anguished contemplation having lost some Humanity due to very nearly killing one of his touchstones (and also his dog) and then having let her go, and some further time with Mary learning a bit more about how to control his Malkavian compulsion.

Sledge dealt some drugs and accumulated some favours (and probably a bunch of other stuff, but it was a while ago, and I'm forgetful).

Esther did some FMRI studies on some brains whilst using Compel, and stole some blood bags.

Then we got into the meat of the episode, and the characters were all invited to a vampire masquerade Elysium in the Sheldonian Theatre. Struthers met the group before the event to make sure they were all properly apprised of the rules and expectations, and that they all understood the ettiquette, which is a personal bugbear of his. It took some persuading but Esther and Andy eventually relented and agreed to wear something a little more formal then normal. Kitty and Struthers dressed in their finest, Kitty rather goth, Struthers in full Regency finery. Sledge was outfitted by the Baron, Rudkin, who flexed hard and sent over a rnage of very expensive suits (price given at 100k each by the ST) in a range of colours. Sledge flexed by wearing the white one...

There was a LOT to Elysium, so I might split some of it off into another post.

We all arrived separately, most of us prior to the scheduled arrival time. Struthers declined the invitation to join the local Nos contingent, and instead came through the library tunnels to avoid having to get hungry by going outside, dropped his actual weapon (a sword cane) outside, and brought a decorative brass one in with him. Esther, Andy, and Kitty all showed up relatively straightforwardly. Sledge came in by car, and was met by a fascianting view. Among other things: the local Ventrue Primogen wearing a very tacky suit of silver thread. Horatio, the Herald, essentially accosting him. Magdalena, the Gangrel who guards the non-road borders and lives in Magdalen College deer park (yes that's a thing, this loving city honestly) dressed in what's basically described as 'Poison Ivy cosplay', the Toreador primogen, who is in charge of the Ashmolean, and whose surname is Ashmole, and her contingent, among meny others. After some snarky back-and-forth with Horatio, the Heral announced the start of the Elysium, which then proceeded to a ceremonial entrance of the clans, in particular the Tremere contingent entering, IIRC, to magical fireworks, and the Nos contingent including the Sheriff, Doru, who popped itno view surrounding the throne on which Horatio sat, and by which Sledge stood, which was not intended to be intimidating, honest.

And here I'm going to split it off, largely because I need to check mine and everyone else's notes for what actually happened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Oxford By Night chapter three: Elysium.

I just want you to know that this is poo poo, you are poo poo and the whole thing is the worst.

Cambridge By Night on the other hand...

I'm joking, I love reading it and just wanted to poke fun at the other half. I swear if the boat race isn't solve sort of mystic rite...