Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so at the end of Phnom Nonh, isn't what the merchants are selling a 'picture of Dora-in-grey'?

Thats what the town is selling now: pictures of dorian grey.

I love dragon quest puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Dizz posted:

I can't believe that for a mere moment, I was a loving FISH

They'll never look at a fish fry the same way again.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Zore posted:

It should be

Just one timeline. When they do the explanation about how it works it says that everything up to the moment you go back to gets erased with only the Luminary and equipment surviving due to the anti-time boxes.

I have to assume it's separate timelines though, or the last cutscenes of the game recontextualizes things entirely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Crawfish posted:

I have to assume it's separate timelines though, or the last cutscenes of the game recontextualizes things entirely.

Really I suspect the intention is as simple as "don't think about it too hard, these are the same characters and it's one timeline and if that doesn't make sense at some point, don't worry about it." That's my guess, at least. From what I can see this doesn't seem too interested in going into detail on time travel mechanics and Horii is (apparently) on record as saying that it's one timeline.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Tickington is in theory a tribute to all the previous DQ games but it's more like a condensed DQVII. I'm just ping-ponging between thirty different locations doing four fetch quests and once or twice I hit a slime

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Really I suspect the intention is as simple as "don't think about it too hard, these are the same characters and it's one timeline and if that doesn't make sense at some point, don't worry about it." That's my guess, at least. From what I can see this doesn't seem too interested in going into detail on time travel mechanics and Horii is (apparently) on record as saying that it's one timeline.

There’s Horii’s explanation but I think of it as multiple timelines, with the one you left still going on

I think it’s more poignant that way, anyway.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

There’s Horii’s explanation but I think of it as multiple timelines, with the one you left still going on

This one makes the most sense in the context of them being all "no don't go we will miss you and you've sacrificed a lot already" rather than "gently caress no we want to live don't be such a selfish piece of poo poo and reset time for everyone except yourself"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm thinking about turning the "stronger monsters" modifier off...I'm playing through Kingsbarrow and I feel like I have to choose to either run past the majority of the encounters or risk losing a bunch of progress because this JRPG is too "pure" to have a good auto-save system.

On the other hand, I tend to lose interest in games if they get too easy. See, this wouldn't even be an issue if they'd allowed you to toggle those modifiers at will instead of making the mind-boggling decision to only let you turn them off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

History Comes Inside! posted:

This one makes the most sense in the context of them being all "no don't go we will miss you and you've sacrificed a lot already" rather than "gently caress no we want to live don't be such a selfish piece of poo poo and reset time for everyone except yourself"

Taking Horii's explanation into account:

Maybe what happens is that you do leave and start a new timeline, with the original one still going on, but at the end the timelines merge seamlessly together into one without anyone really noticing? I'm not entirely sure how that's supposed to work but, I mean, fuckin' time travel so :shrug:. It seems like Horii's intention was that by the end of the postgame these characters are still the same friends you've been traveling with in acts 1 and 2 and not alternate-timeline copies and he's sort of willing to handwave whatever to get there.

Maybe people are Mandela Effecting all over the place remembering things from the other timeline, I dunno. The timelines merging is probably intended to be the cause of people occasionally having memories of the other timeline.

The ending makes it extra confusing, since we see Serenica break the orb and everyone still remains and isn't rewound/erased/etc. So clearly breaking the orb doesn't immediately erase the current timeline, but maybe they merge the changes in slowly? I dunno. Time travel, man.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 9, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I'm thinking about turning the "stronger monsters" modifier off...I'm playing through Kingsbarrow and I feel like I have to choose to either run past the majority of the encounters or risk losing a bunch of progress because this JRPG is too "pure" to have a good auto-save system.

On the other hand, I tend to lose interest in games if they get too easy. See, this wouldn't even be an issue if they'd allowed you to toggle those modifiers at will instead of making the mind-boggling decision to only let you turn them off.

IDK about 3d mode, but 2d mode seems to autosave very regularly at the end of encounters. So you can get near the boss, fight and flee, and then if you fight the boss and it looks like you're about to game over you can just reset and load up the autosave.

When I was at the kingsbarrow I also had to run past most of the monsters to have enough resources for the main boss, so you're not alone in that. This problem mostly goes away in later dungeons which will either give you a full heal statue right before the boss, or a treasure chest with 4 MP restoring items.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Kingsbarrow gives you some mp restoratives as well right before the boss. The stronger monsters mode is hardest at the beginning and once you get a full team it mostly spikes with the bosses. Random encounters from that point are mostly only dangerous if you aren't paying attention.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

I love dragon quest puns.

I destroyed every book I own because no piece of literature will ever come close to the Krumbul Dun pun when you finish the last pub in Dragon Quest Builders.

Goldirox and the Three Bars

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

pooch516 posted:

I destroyed every book I own because no piece of literature will ever come close to the Krumbul Dun pun when you finish the last pub in Dragon Quest Builders.

Goldirox and the Three Bars

DQ is the only series I know that has 10 hour buildups for a single joke.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If I want to play DQ III, is the Switch or the mobile port better?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Konstantin posted:

As I understand it they're completely identical, content-wise (aside from differing aspect ratios). Only difference is if you prefer playing on mobile or Switch.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Harrow posted:

The ending makes it extra confusing, since we see Serenica break the orb and everyone still remains and isn't rewound/erased/etc. So clearly breaking the orb doesn't immediately erase the current timeline, but maybe they merge the changes in slowly? I dunno. Time travel, man.

Maybe I'm not as far along as you yet but I clearly saw Serenica fail to break the orb, die, and be turned into the Timekeeper. Which would then make sense that nothing else happened.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Aren't Veronica and Serena supposed to be descendants of Serenica? How did that work if Erdwin died and she got trapped as the Timekeeper? Maybe we were supposed to send her back, or maybe the story just really doesn't work if you think too hard about it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

If you think too hard about any time-travel story it falls apart, so just take Horii at his word that the timelines merge and it just works out because of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nemo2342 posted:

Aren't Veronica and Serena supposed to be descendants of Serenica? How did that work if Erdwin died and she got trapped as the Timekeeper? Maybe we were supposed to send her back, or maybe the story just really doesn't work if you think too hard about it.

They're her reincarnation, its never explicitly said they're descendants of hers.

Same with the Luminary and Erdwin

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
just got my ship and oh my god is the world not round rofl

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

just got my ship and oh my god is the world not round rofl

It is, just takes a while to wrap around.

edit: and this even works bottom to top, though it shouldn't :pseudo:

takuchang
Oct 3, 2019

Konstantin posted:

もし SwitchやPS4をモバイルより好むのであれば、私はそちらをおすすめします。
逆も然り。
DQ3を是非ともプレイしましょう。

If You Like Play Console (Switch,PS4) Than Mobile ( Phone, Portable Device), I Strongly Recommend Console.
vice versa.
Let's Play DQ3!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the first thing I did in the boat on open waters was sail left to reach the next destination and oh my goodness its a long time spent in a fog of nothing ness before it wraps around

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
...I think I just encountered Skeletor.

I can't stop laughing.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm starting to not like having the ability to find metal slimes myself.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Worse comes to worse, when Sylvando and Jade get pepped up you can put them in the back line til the Hero is as well. They have a pep power, Electro-light that has a chance of replacing the encounter with Metal slimes and just save and reload til you get them to show up.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Wait, Why can The Luminary touch the Ygg root in Heliodor castle when he lost his powers? Why does the root also exist when the tree died?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dizz posted:

Wait, Why can The Luminary touch the Ygg root in Heliodor castle when he lost his powers? Why does the root also exist when the tree died?

Later in the game, you're told the power of the Luminary cannot be taken away. It's just temporarily sealed away. Not sure why the Heliodor root is still around, could have been a vestige of Yggdrasil's remaining power. I mean, it is/was a flying tree.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 10, 2019

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dizz posted:

I'm starting to not like having the ability to find metal slimes myself.

They aren't that exciting until Act 3 and you're around level 55+, at which point you should be able to do the haullelujah/electro light method if you really care that much.

I just finished my second play through and (ending related time travel spoilers)it's definitely "new timeline starts off and the old one carries on", I completely forgot you hand over your power and send Serenica back at the end right before you go back to Cobblestone and go put the sword back in the tree, so obviously the old-old timeline still exists and the Hero has left his original friends behind to be sad forever.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 10, 2019

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I mostly prefer metal slimes because I don't like getting into tons of fights to grind, because i'm lazy. so a metal slime or two once in a while seems to keep me at a decent level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just finished my second play through and (ending related time travel spoilers)it's definitely "new timeline starts off and the old one carries on", I completely forgot you hand over your power and send Serenica back at the end right before you go back to Cobblestone and go put the sword back in the tree, so obviously the old-old timeline still exists and the Hero has left his original friends behind to be sad forever.

The thing that throws that into question is that people keep having flashes of memories from the other timeine. That's not going to happen in a totally separate timeline unless we jump through some other hoops, like assuming the Luminary has an aura around him that makes people remember other timelines or something like that. It seems like, whether the timeline splits off or not, it's meant to be this weird merging situation where the changes you make work their way into the original timeline until eventually it's just one timeline again. That's probably true of Serenica going back in time to be with Erdwin, too--the timeline you've been playing in during Act 3 continues on but slowly morphs into a timeline where Serenica got to be with Erdwin without anyone noticing. People probably have weird little memories of the way the timeline used to be and blame it on the Mandela Effect Serenica Effect.

In the scene where the Luminary first travels back, we see people simultaneously talking about how they'll miss him, but also about how it's worth it to save Veronica and everyone else who died, as though they'll also be saved from their perspective. And Timekeeper-Serenica doesn't contradict either of those things, so my guess is that both are true--the Luminary goes away, the timeline continues, but eventually things just sort of seamlessly morph into the version we see at the end of Act 3, drastic as that change is, with nobody remembering the way things used to be.

Like, that doesn't make sense, but neither does anything else about this particular time travel plot. In the same scene, the Timekeeper suggests that breaking the orb straight-up rewinds time for the whole world, too. It's like every time travel "rule set" thrown into a blender.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 10, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dizz posted:

I mostly prefer metal slimes because I don't like getting into tons of fights to grind, because i'm lazy. so a metal slime or two once in a while seems to keep me at a decent level.
Do you have Stronger Monsters on? Because I never really felt the need to grind playing through the game on PS4. Just fought a few battles on the way to wherever I was going.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Can anyone confirm if the ability from Jade's new blue costume is once per fight or unlimited? I can't find a clear answer anywhere.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Do you have Stronger Monsters on? Because I never really felt the need to grind playing through the game on PS4. Just fought a few battles on the way to wherever I was going.

Nah, but I dont like some bosses being close fights. That hasn't happened for a while, but I don't want to encounter another boss that becomes a brick wall.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You don't really need to grind, as someone who hates grinding and will avoid it wherever possible. Are you making sure to replace your gear whenever you get to a shop?

I did no grinding outside of the handful of hours it took to do ~50-99 at the start of act 3 just because, like you, I'll stack the deck wherever I can since I don't have infinite time to bang my head against brick walls when I just wanna play some games.

With no draconian challenges the game is super easy and I'm talking "I put virtually every fight including most bosses on 'fight wisely' and just chipped in every now and then to keep things ticking along" easy, since it was my second time through.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Luceo posted:

It is, just takes a while to wrap around.

edit: and this even works bottom to top, though it shouldn't :pseudo:

Toroidal worlds are a classic feature of RPGs.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

You don't really need to grind, as someone who hates grinding and will avoid it wherever possible. Are you making sure to replace your gear whenever you get to a shop?

I did no grinding outside of the handful of hours it took to do ~50-99 at the start of act 3 just because, like you, I'll stack the deck wherever I can since I don't have infinite time to bang my head against brick walls when I just wanna play some games.

With no draconian challenges the game is super easy and I'm talking "I put virtually every fight including most bosses on 'fight wisely' and just chipped in every now and then to keep things ticking along" easy, since it was my second time through.

I'm generally under the expectation of older DQ games where it's always like "new area, which means I have to grind for hours to afford like 70% of the new gear, level a bit more, barely make it past the boss, repeat when I discover a new area."

I'm trying to do a lot in the game so I can beat it and see how the speedruns look.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

John Lee posted:

Yeah, the big fog fooled me, but yep, toroidal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ultimately I'm glad I decided not to use Stronger Monsters for this playthrough. I love challenging JRPGs, but I think that the specific design of Dragon Quest XI leads to a type of difficulty I don't enjoy as much, and a game that is hard in a way that I don't like is always going to be less fun than a game that's a bit too easy.

Personally I think the perfect balance for me would be giving bosses the HP/defense they have on Stronger Monsters with the offensive stats/number of turns they have on normal mode. My one real complaint is that boss battles end too quickly on normal mode, but I don't really like how swingy boss offense gets on Stronger Monsters (especially with how many turns in a row they get). Or hell, if the boss's turns were just spread out instead of all in a row, that might even be enough of a change for me to enjoy it more.

Dizz posted:

I'm generally under the expectation of older DQ games where it's always like "new area, which means I have to grind for hours to afford like 70% of the new gear, level a bit more, barely make it past the boss, repeat when I discover a new area."

The ease of crafting gear in this sort of changes the classic DQ loop of needing to afford really expensive new equipment. Forging +1 or +2 equipment can carry you for longer than shop-purchased gear can and for less gold, too. I've generally found that if I just fight a few battles per zone while I'm screwing around exploring, and craft new gear when I find recipes, I'm strong enough that I can beat most bosses without much difficulty. There are a couple of spikes (and the postgame is a meaningful difficulty spike, appropriately), but by and large things have been pretty chill with no grinding at all on normal mode.

Though I'll acknowledge part of this is that normal mode really rewards a strong offense because boss defense and HP is meaningfully lower than it is with Stronger Monsters. The hero with greatswords, Jade with spears, and Erik using any of his mega-damage combos can take most bosses out before they can really wear you down with attrition. (Stronger Monsters seems to basically flip that math--you're the one wearing the boss down with attrition while it tries to nuke you down in a couple turns.)

John Lee posted:

Has there been a JRPG that actually made the world a globe and had the map wrap accordingly? Toroidal worlds are so common that I pretty much just expect it in a JRPG with a world map and I don't know if I've ever seen a game actually model a spherical world.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I think stronger monsters was actually tuned down quite a bit from the PS4/PC version just because most of the bosses now have only 2 turns instead of 3. I'm not sure if they increased their power a bit to compensate, but mid-act 1 through act 2 has gone much, much smoother for me this time around.