Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ImpAtom posted:

Since it's actually out:

Indivisible was a lot of fun but the game really falls apart in the second half, where it becomes increasingly apparent that what they wanted to do was make a Metroidvania, not a Valkyrie Profile clone, but that goes massively at odds with their 'collect characters' feature so you end up with infrequent battles where even the bosses die in a single hit which hurts Indivisible a whole lot more than VP because ID tries to make its characters distinct

I'm guessing you're talking about after you get the ship? Because yeah, I've noticed there seems to be a lot of backtracking required right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I had a feeling from the get-go when it was announced that Indivisible just had too many party members for its own good.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 8, 2019

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zore posted:

Everyone gets 100% exp all the time

Except for dead people, so don't leave them dead.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It has too many party members and not nearly enough fights, in my opinion. Also the gameplay pacing is just... Insane? The balance is just seriously not there, too, it becomes extremely easy after the first "act" of the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is it really so short that you've already finished it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I'm guessing you're talking about after you get the ship? Because yeah, I've noticed there seems to be a lot of backtracking required right now.

Nah, after that. You'll know when it happens.

Accordion Man posted:

I had a feeling from the get-go that Indivisible just had too many party members.

Honestly that isn't the issue. The issue is entirely that since all upgrades are entirely optional they erred on the side of making level gain powers a lot more significant, which means if you DO collect gems you end up excessively powerful. By the endgame you literally just use one or two characters with huge AOE attacks and win every fight instantly.

cheetah7071 posted:

Is it really so short that you've already finished it?

I got my review copy a week ago. It took me about 15 hours to finish. I didn't get every gem but I came close.

Edit: Also they give you attacks that let you damage enemies on the sidescrolling adventure screen which veers from silly (you can toss spears to reduce enemies to nil HP) to broken (there is a boss which I literally stunlocked to death by punching it with an upgraded overworld attack rather then engaging with the combat system.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 8, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I got my review copy a week ago. It took me about 15 hours to finish. I didn't get every gem but I came close.

Oh I didn't realize you were a reviewer. 15 hours is a bit shorter than I expected but not by much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh I didn't realize you were a reviewer. 15 hours is a bit shorter than I expected but not by much.

It's a very quickly paced game with little fluff but the second half of the game is basically revisiting the first half with new powers so YMMV.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'd also like to mention that the sheer amount of movement abilities you get is a tad overwhelming, especially with them all having various button combinations to execute. Sometimes I have to stop for a second or two to remember specific movement combinations.

That might be because I play on keyboard with remapped controls though, maybe it's easier with a controller.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the voice acting gave me a bad feeling to start with but this recent news drops it pretty firmly into "buy on discount if at all" territory

thank god, too many games lately

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

does Indivisible break the record for time to destroyed hometown

Not sure if a legitimate question but that's gotta be FF Mystic Quest (SNES one).
You select New Game, input your character name, and IMMEDIATELY start on a crumbling mountain where the very first line is "MY VILLAGE IS GONE!! WHAT IS HAPPENING".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Indivisible demo was super fun and I'm a huge VP fan so even if it's kinda mediocre in the second half I'm sure I will thoroughly enjoy it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you like the art you're gonna have a good time regardless probably because it's absolutely gorgeous.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Uh, so, how come Kushi doesn't have any Iddhi attacks and Phoebe's seems to do... Literally nothing? It's really bugging me because I wanted to use Phoebe in my party real bad (second only to Naga Rider) but if her Iddhi attacks are bugged she's just gonna hit the bench...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If I get Dragon Quest XI on Switch, does that mean I can't mod the proper soundtrack in?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Switch version is the one with the proper soundtrack.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sweet, I'll probably download the demo and give it a go then.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Thanks for all the DQ11 answers, just had one more question: Is there any downside to selling your old equipment? I know they were used to forge new stuff in the old games but that doesn’t seem to be the case in this one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

Thanks for all the DQ11 answers, just had one more question: Is there any downside to selling your old equipment? I know they were used to forge new stuff in the old games but that doesn’t seem to be the case in this one.

There is a middle game quest where you need two pieces of equipment (you can buy or make them and they arent rare or hard to get) but outside of that not really.

I haven't really done it because for a DQ game money is plentiful

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

Not in this one, they've made a massive innovation in that crafting requires materials... And then that's it. Later in the game are unique weapons that you just keep upgrading like 3 times but you can't sell them once you pick them up so no need to worry.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There's a weird quest in Greedfall where the player finds that some rich dick has not only illegally re-opened a dangerous abandoned mine, but he's also been enslaving locals to work there. But the game wouldn't let me kick the door in a kill the baddies until I went back to base and found documentation that yes, slavery is illegal. Only once I had a written permission slip to kill the slave owners was I allowed to kick the door in and clean house.

Still a happy resolution, but I have no idea why the devs thought it would be a good idea to bring bureaucracy into a side quest as cut and dry as "slavery is bad".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crowetron posted:

There's a weird quest in Greedfall where the player finds that some rich dick has not only illegally re-opened a dangerous abandoned mine, but he's also been enslaving locals to work there. But the game wouldn't let me kick the door in a kill the baddies until I went back to base and found documentation that yes, slavery is illegal. Only once I had a written permission slip to kill the slave owners was I allowed to kick the door in and clean house.

Still a happy resolution, but I have no idea why the devs thought it would be a good idea to bring bureaucracy into a side quest as cut and dry as "slavery is bad".

It's how law enforcement works. You don't just go in shitkicking, you get a warrant and ask them to surrender peacefully. If they don't, THEN the door gets kicked in and people get shot/stabbed/fireballed.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's how law enforcement works. You don't just go in shitkicking, you get a warrant and ask them to surrender peacefully. If they don't, THEN the door gets kicked in and people get shot/stabbed/fireballed.

My character's not a cop, though. She's a diplomat. She didn't have the legal authority to do anything after I found the documents. And up until that quest, my title of Legate seemed to only mean "I can do whatever the gently caress I want." It just struck me as very odd, since I'd had the option to flaunt regulations and laws before.

It was pretty funny at the end of the quest when I had to fight the slave owner. I struck him repeatedly with a giant flaming broadsword, then finished the fight by shooting him square in the face with a musket, and then my character turned around and announced "The criminal has been arrested!"

Maybe I should shift to roleplaying as someone who was hit very hard on the head after the tutorial.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
Legality = Morality, a popular lib position, has some interesting corollaries such as the incredible power of playing by the book which binds you and must be satisfied with your documentation or else you are not allowed to stop a bad thing. This is of course not actually true cuz cops and judges and on and on due bad rule breaking (and immoral) poo poo all the time but I'm not surprised it would pop up in media like that, even if very goofily and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That's another odd thing about it. The game has already started setting up that the most evil poo poo happening is happening inside the law, but forgot about that for this one side quest. Maybe I was just supposed to find it sooner, when my character was supposed to be more ignorant of the hosed up nature of colonialism? I dunno.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Greedfall works best when you don't think too hard about things.

Also, hope you don't run into the game breaking bug I did that's still not patched.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I mean, say what you want about witchers, ethically, but at least they don't have to wait for a seach warrant before they can legally slay the werewolf who has been eating all them townsfolk.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
They do wait for the bounty tho

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Seems fair and equitable to me. If they're not willing to pay for pest removal, they clearly don't mind being eaten that much. :capitalism:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, Indivisible question: How do you get out of Tai Krung city once you're done there? There's an impossible jump at the entrance, and the new movement powers doesn't let me past it.

Edit: Ok nvm I figured it out, though it's funny that it's never shown before that area that you can bounce on spikes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, Indivisible question: How do you get out of Tai Krung city once you're done there? There's an impossible jump at the entrance, and the new movement powers doesn't let me past it.

Use the power you literally just got there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Infinity Gaia posted:

Use the power you literally just got there.

Literally every time that power's used before that has been on electricity, so it took me a second.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh, Dragon Star Varnir came out on PC. Is this one of the good Idea Factories or not? And, yes, I know the best Idea Factory gets is "Sort of okay if you squint" but I'm kind of a sucker for their stuff for some inexplicable reason.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also, Yan's animations are making me very uncomfortable.

Edit: man, this game has so many party members, it's ridiculous. I'm picking up random party members off the street. And they all have incredibly well made and distinct animation sets as well.
I'm getting the feeling that someone on the team is really passionate about character design.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 9, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Samuringa posted:

They do wait for the bounty tho

I mean except all the times Geralt just kinda stumbles into monsters anyway, he might try and get a bounty retroactively but usually folds if none is offered.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also the times Geralt spares the sentient monsters, because its usually the yokels starting poo poo and not them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I finished Lisa!

Although even looking at alternative stuff on Youtube I'm still a bit lost on the overall background story.

I do like that it did the whole The Last Of Us thing with one girl being touted as the salvation of humanity and the worst dad in the world committing atrocities to protect her and taking away her choice in the matter but much better because they weren't all high on their own farts.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean except all the times Geralt just kinda stumbles into monsters anyway, he might try and get a bounty retroactively but usually folds if none is offered.

That's more self-defense. Gerry's out there to get paid, not to be a hero. No money, no (dead)monster. :colbert:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I finished Lisa!

Although even looking at alternative stuff on Youtube I'm still a bit lost on the overall background story.

I do like that it did the whole The Last Of Us thing with one girl being touted as the salvation of humanity and the worst dad in the world committing atrocities to protect her and taking away her choice in the matter but much better because they weren't all high on their own farts.

That's more self-defense. Gerry's out there to get paid, not to be a hero. No money, no (dead)monster. :colbert:

Lisa The Joyful does fill in some gaps in the backstory but as others have said, it's kinda bad. You could probably find a synopsis somewhere, or I'm sure someone here could spoiler the backstory stuff in Joyful. I just finished it myself so it's fairly fresh in my mind.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

MockingQuantum posted:

Lisa The Joyful does fill in some gaps in the backstory but as others have said, it's kinda bad. You could probably find a synopsis somewhere, or I'm sure someone here could spoiler the backstory stuff in Joyful. I just finished it myself so it's fairly fresh in my mind.

I can't piece together what happened to Lisa what was and her involvement with Brad and Buzzo. Did she commit suicide at some point when Brad was still young? And how does Buzzo's involvement with Dr. Yado and Joy affects that or have anything to do with how much he wants to get back at Brad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ran into an early enemy in Indivisible that can two-shot my dudes even with perfect guarding. I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong and I have to say I don't really feel any motivation to figure it out.

It's a beautiful game but...that kind of seems to be it.