Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

quote:

In October 1989, around the time your parents were thinking of buying their first home, the average London property price stood at under £80,000.

In 1985, one of my work colleagues bought a 4-bed terrace in Leytonstone for £29500. OK it needed doing up and she and her boyfriend only got a mortgage because he was a builder by trade, but that is probably worth £800-£900k now.

Ed: 83 is apparently code for bisexual. (Who knew?)

TOP DEFINITION
Cover-up term for bisexual.
This is because of the periodic table of the chemical elements (chemistry): The 83rd element is Bismuth, which is abbreviated with "Bi".

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Liz was a mechanic in WW2, pretty sure she can just smack him in the head with a wrench or better yet, that mace they've got in Parliament

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Newstatemen take on the big Spectator post from yesterday re No 10 and brexit:

quote:

Let’s go round again: opposition parties are at odds over their plan to avert a no-deal Brexit on 31 October. The beef? Whether Jeremy Corbyn leads an emergency government of national unity in the event that Boris Johnson is forced from office.

After a testy summit of rebel alliance leaders broke down without agreement yesterday, Labour and the Liberal Democrats rushed to blame one another. Senior Labour figures accuse Jo Swinson of being irresponsible in refusing to back Corbyn, while Swinson claims to be astonished that they won’t countenance another candidate.

That you probably aren’t astonished to read that exact sentence for the umpteenth time attests to the fact that this plan is going nowhere. It barely bears repeating at this point, but there is no political incentive for the Liberal Democrats – or, for that matter, the 21 former Tory independents – to make Corbyn prime minister, even for five minutes. And the Labour leadership is never going to concede that those who say Corbyn is unfit for office have a point. The numbers aren’t there, and even if they were, the political will wouldn’t be.

Yet one of the sharpest ironies about this noisy row is the fact that it has almost certainly been resolved: there is no need for an interim prime minister to stop a no-deal Brexit at the end of the month because the actual Prime Minister will do it for them. That's the inescapable conclusion to be drawn from a lengthy, bilious Downing Street briefing reproduced in full by the Spectator’s James Forsyth last night, in which someone widely assumed to be Dominic Cummings predicts the imminent collapse of negotiations with the EU, declares Johnson's deal dead, and makes clear that friendly members of the EU27 will be leaned on to oppose an extension.

But what it doesn’t say is that the government will ignore the law – as was made clear in court in Edinburgh last week. Far from setting out a fail-safe plan to stop an extension happening, it really just lays out how Downing Street will seek to blame a parliament “as popular as the clap” and “hostile” EU governments in the inevitable event that it is compelled to seek one. “We’ll either leave with no deal on 31 October or there will be an election and then we will leave with no deal,” is the conclusion.

So much for do or die. Those almost certainly aren’t the words of a Downing Street operation that is on the brink of doing something reckless on 31 October, but one looking to cushion its landing on 1 November. That the opposition parties are fighting like ferrets in a sack is all the consolation they need that, come that general election, Johnson’s failure to fulfil the one pledge he was elected to fulfil will matter less than the failure of Remain voters to consolidate around a single party.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/10/how-leaked-briefing-suggests-no-10-not-yet-nearing-reckless-no-deal-brexit

TL:DR - not quite hosed yet but no unity government because Swinson won't play ball and Corbyn won't back down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my mam sold a flat in london for £10k when she moved back up north and apparently due to its location and some peculiar features about it its now worth like £2m

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Grit my teeth and try to wait it out, usually. Try to accept rough patches happen and it's not my fault, and I can't necessarily talk myself out of moods, so just hang on.

I do find the fear that I'm backsliding tends to make it more likely that I will actually do so, ironically.

It's insane isn't it, our country is essentially going to commit political and economic suicide and nothing we do can prevent this from happening, can you even imagine the collective relief when our lives are ultimately claimed in the immediate melee that would result from brexit

This really loving sucks and it's weighing on me heavily and what makes it harder to cope is that no matter how hard I prepare or scream the futility of our circumstance is immense in its magnitude and scope

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Josef bugman posted:

These last few days have been very tricky, not gonna lie. What does everyone else do when they feel themselves slipping back into bad ways of coping?
ymmv, but if the ways of coping are related to an activity or a place: for activities, trying to make the activity difficult to access in some way. Trick here is trying to set up ways of fixing the bad coping in advance when I don't need it, so they're ready for me when I do. For places, trying to realise when the bad coping is starting and removing myself from that place - taking some time away, go out into nature, find a bench somewhere and read, maybe just move to a different room. If you've got people you trust around, there's always the option of asking them to help - maybe notice when you're doing a thing, and try and direct you away from it with something prearranged.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

my mam sold a flat in london for £10k when she moved back up north and apparently due to its location and some peculiar features about it its now worth like £2m

Lol our generation will never own their own loving house will it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gently caress off tom watson you massive oval office

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1181642678708195329?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

4 bed terrace in St Anne's Court, W1, £4.5m!!
This little backwater used to house a fab Science Fiction bookshop called Dark They Were and Golden Eyed, and then that turned into a heavy metal record store called Shades.
I was an avid customer of both these shops for years.

Most of the residential buildings in St Anne's Court had 'french model upstairs' type notices on their doorbells. How the fallen have risen.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

suck my woke dick posted:

Concentration is actually good for sustainability, unless you have some super centralised megacity that still has people commuting for hours every day to the jobs in the center.

Ah, you’ve been to São Paulo I see.

winegums posted:

https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1181589905589329922

Why do they all do this? Why chunter on about how many PhDs Merkel has? Every loving time

Racists: "We didn't fight the world war single handedly to let all these brown people come here from Poland."
The Centre: "hehe, so do you mean the first or second world war? You see I can count to two, dumb dumb. We didn't win the second world war single-handedly this was a combined effort of many allied countries including the Poles you so cruelly maligned. If you look here you can see a graph I made.... :words:"

This style of arguing seems to appeal to FBPEs uniquely, and thus they think everyone gets convinced by it. They love to pick up on technicalities, or appeals to authority, rather than any sort of convincing argument or narrative. I swear right-wing groups do this on purpose now just to get rage-responses and retweets.

FBPEs are drawn from the white collar professional classes. In a structured office environment, which is where they spend 80% of the time they spend awake, successful people (a) observe social conventions; and (b) win arguments by pointing out inconsistencies.

This is a shockingly bad way of understanding how to have mass scale political influence, which is to have a simple message that is repeated again and again, and to deny anything that conflicts with the message.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jose posted:

you wouldn't download a VAR

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

4 bed terrace in St Anne's Court, W1, £4.5m!!
This little backwater used to house a fab Science Fiction bookshop called Dark They Were and Golden Eyed, and then that turned into a heavy metal record store called Shades.
I was an avid customer of both these shops for years.

Most of the residential buildings in St Anne's Court had 'french model upstairs' type notices on their doorbells. How the fallen have risen.

Lol my mate used to have one of those flats after the vice squad/gentrification had moved on the brothels in the mid nineties - he was paying something like 100 quid a month which was both incredibly cheap for a place right in the middle of Soho and also incredibly expensive for what was basically a 10' by 10' room with a paper-thin divider down it between the "bedroom" and "kitchen". The bedroom had a toilet and a bidet in it though, so that was handy. TBH with flatscreen tellys and monitors I could probably live quite happily in that much space nowadays.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My family inherited 3 houses which lay in a row, over a hundreds years worth of family history in them all.
We sold them a few years ago so my mum could a bungalow for her old age, these houses were 4 stories and so she couldn't get up the stairs half the time.
Sold for £125k for all three as this is wasteland Northern Ireland and no one wants to live in sheep country.

If they were I am renting now in cork city, they would be just hitting a million.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol my mate used to have one of those flats after the vice squad/gentrification had moved on the brothels in the mid nineties - he was paying something like 100 quid a month which was both incredibly cheap for a place right in the middle of Soho and also incredibly expensive for what was basically a 10' by 10' room with a paper-thin divider down it between the "bedroom" and "kitchen". The bedroom had a toilet and a bidet in it though, so that was handy. TBH with flatscreen tellys and monitors I could probably live quite happily in that much space nowadays.

I spent around 20 years of my adult life living in that much space in assorted house shares, NHS and student accommodation in and around central London. Fortunately without the bathroom in the middle of the bedroom, but shared with a corridor full of other folks.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is a shockingly bad way of understanding how to have mass scale political influence, which is to have a simple message that is repeated again and again, and to deny anything that conflicts with the message.

The simple message that Brexit is a bad idea because it is run by the stupid and the corrupt, so we should not do it, may well be something you personally dislike, for whatever reason. But it is demonstrably highly effective\, competing with the massive right wing propaganda machine on equal terms in a way rarely achieved over the last few decades.

It certainly leaves more nuanced and complicated positions trailing in the dust.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

radmonger posted:

The simple message that Brexit is a bad idea because it is run by the stupid and the corrupt, so we should not do it, may well be something you personally dislike, for whatever reason. But it is demonstrably highly effective\, competing with the massive right wing propaganda machine on equal terms in a way rarely achieved over the last few decades.

It certainly leaves more nuanced and complicated positions trailing in the dust.

I'm not entirely sure that that approach is effective though, because it ultimately means people have to accept they were hoodwinked by the stupid and the corrupt. This is... not a thing human people tend to find easy to do.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

Damaging to your donors, you mean.

gently caress right off. Give the rights back to BBC/ITV to show matches.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Premier League shocked that fans aren't willing to pay £45 a month to watch their team.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

njsykora posted:

Premier League shocked that fans aren't willing to pay £45 a month to watch their team.

Maybe the Premier League sides should be better with their money, live within their means & all that. Like, don't spunk £20m up on the wall for Oliver McBurnie, a striker with 16 EPL games to his name & 0 goals. The money floating about in English football is absurd and if they can't budget for it then nae oval office to blame but themselves.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's because a property tycoon put pressure on the police to raid all those models under the guise of "rescuing trafficked women" so they could clean out the area around there and Berwick street so they could build a bunch of towers and hotels.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/11/soho-police-raids-sex-workers-fear-trafficking

http://prostitutescollective.net/2014/01/the-soho-raids-what-really-happened/

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/jul/25/saving-soho-battle-keep-berwick-street-market-independent

https://stateofsoho.wordpress.com/2018/11/07/learning-lessons-from-berwick-st/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

BFF's sister's cat was put to sleep a little while ago, he was a good big fat black boy, hug your pals today friends :unsmith:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/pyykko/status/1181705896063356930?s=20

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't think Boris is going to seek a last second extension. I think he is going to force the no deal exit, then on November 1st call an election.

With Britain out, the remain/exit debate will become moot and he'll be hoping that will kill a lot of the Lib Dem momentum, get the Tories re-elected and then be able to talk about how it's time to move on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe the Premier League sides should be better with their money, live within their means & all that. Like, don't spunk £20m up on the wall for Oliver McBurnie, a striker with 16 EPL games to his name & 0 goals. The money floating about in English football is absurd and if they can't budget for it then nae oval office to blame but themselves.

Sheff Utd could have bought a stadium of their own if they hadn't wasted all their money on Oliver McBurnie toast, you hate to see it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I don't profess to know what the Queen actually intends to do, but if she decides that the Proper Way Things Are Done is that Joris has to go, I wouldn't be betting on him in that exchange.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't profess to know what the Queen actually intends to do, but if she decides that the Proper Way Things Are Done is that Joris has to go, I wouldn't be betting on him in that exchange.

She has been a controlling sociopath far longer than he has.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

you wouldn't download a VAR

I'm slowly working through my uncle's vinyl LPs (sorting out which ones I want to keep, and which ones can be dispensed with) and every so often I'll come across one with a sleeve that has "HOME RECORDING IS DESTROYING MUSIC" printed in bold.

I prefer the ones with the lyrics printed on, to be honest. At least the band made some sort of effort.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I vaguely remember the EU saying they wouldn't force no deal if Parliament was prorogued going into an election, as it would be seen as extenuating circumstances. Did I imagine that, or was that a thing? And if so, could the EU just give us an extension in response to Boris clearly trying to gently caress around?

I feel like I'm probably being too optimistic

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jose posted:

This tweet in support of more money for billionaires comes hot on the heels of Corbyn calling out Mike Ashley by name just a day earlier.

Truly Watson is a man of the people, with his finger on the pulse of society.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ms Fuchi posted:

I vaguely remember the EU saying they wouldn't force no deal if Parliament was prorogued going into an election, as it would be seen as extenuating circumstances. Did I imagine that, or was that a thing? And if so, could the EU just give us an extension in response to Boris clearly trying to gently caress around?

I feel like I'm probably being too optimistic

It's not their decision to make. An A50 extension has to be requested first, one can't be imposed unilaterally.

Either Boris sends the letter or a GNU has to.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

xtothez posted:

This tweet in support of more money for billionaires comes hot on the heels of Corbyn calling out Mike Ashley by name just a day earlier.

Truly Watson is a man of the people, with his finger on the pulse of society.

It’s hilarious given that almost ten years ago, he was trying to set himself up as being the anti-copyright candidate with incredibly loud and angry speeches about the Digital Economy Act.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Wow! I had no idea (re the sex workers) - shameful behaviour by the police. That is Egypt-standard policing. (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/12/defendants-cleared-cairo-bath-house-debauchery)

TBH I thought Soho had been cleared of sex workers a lot earlier - Wardour St in particular.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

xtothez posted:

It's not their decision to make. An A50 extension has to be requested first, one can't be imposed unilaterally.

Either Boris sends the letter or a GNU has to.

quote:

“G” means that the message must be passed on, “N” means “not logged”, and “U” means the message should be turned around at the end of a line.

quote:

Pratchett’s 33rd Discworld novel, Going Postal, tells of the creation of an internet-like system of communication towers called “the clacks”. When John Dearheart, the son of its inventor, is murdered, a piece of code is written called “GNU John Dearheart” to echo his name up and down the lines. “G” means that the message must be passed on, “N” means “not logged”, and “U” means the message should be turned around at the end of a line. (This was also a realworld tech joke: GNU is a free operating system, and its name stands, with recursive geek humour, for “GNU’s not Unix”.) The code causes Dearheart’s name to be repeated indefinitely throughout the system, because: “A man is not dead while his name is still spoken.”
https://www.theguardian.com/books/shortcuts/2015/mar/17/terry-pratchetts-name-lives-on-in-the-clacks-with-hidden-web-code

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
loving hell that is some deep Pratchett lore.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ash Crimson posted:

It's insane isn't it, our country is essentially going to commit political and economic suicide and nothing we do can prevent this from happening, can you even imagine the collective relief when our lives are ultimately claimed in the immediate melee that would result from brexit

This really loving sucks and it's weighing on me heavily and what makes it harder to cope is that no matter how hard I prepare or scream the futility of our circumstance is immense in its magnitude and scope

Stop reading the news for a week or two.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or forever, news is shite, imo.

Just read the thread and let the people with the specific kind of brain mutation that allows them to parse news to translate it into human for you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wow! I had no idea (re the sex workers) - shameful behaviour by the police. That is Egypt-standard policing. (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/12/defendants-cleared-cairo-bath-house-debauchery)

TBH I thought Soho had been cleared of sex workers a lot earlier - Wardour St in particular.

Wait until you find out what West End Central were up to in the seventies. There's a reason Soho became quite so blatant a red light district and it's nothing at all to do with Netherlands-style tolerance.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait until you find out what West End Central were up to in the seventies. There's a reason Soho became quite so blatant a red light district and it's nothing at all to do with Netherlands-style tolerance.

Care to tell us?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Josef bugman posted:

Care to tell us?

Don't ask twisto to tell on himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

xtothez posted:

Newcastle United has issued the following statement in response to recent comments made by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

quote:

"We are disappointed by comments made by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn at the weekend regarding football governance and club ownership, in which he specifically attacked Newcastle United.

"Amongst his comments, Mr Corbyn accused ‘billionaire owners like Mike Ashley’ of ‘ruining our national game’, claiming these ‘bad owners’ put their ‘business interests above everything else’ and risk their clubs’ financial security.

"In overlooking existing governance and regulation, as well as the hugely positive impact Newcastle United and other professional clubs have in their communities, Mr Corbyn has demonstrated a surprising lack of knowledge about our national game.

"We feel, therefore, it is important to address his damaging and misinformed opinions in the interests of the club and its supporters.

"Financially, other than sums provided to the club on a short-term, interest-free basis and repaid to him as intended, we would like to make it clear that Mike Ashley has not taken a penny out of Newcastle United in interest, salary or dividend, as is customary at many clubs.

"As stated on numerous occasions before, every penny Newcastle United has will continue to be available to it. In this financial year, the club will use an overdraft facility to manage its cashflow following a significant spend on talent in the summer. As a well-run, responsible club, that amount will be repaid in full and on time and our other regulatory obligations will be met.

"We will not apologise for being financially sustainable, but we will push the boundaries of our budgets as far as possible to maximise the impact on the team.

We agree with Mr Corbyn that ‘a football club is more than just a club; it is an institution at the heart of our communities’.

"That is why our vast work across the local community will continue, with Newcastle United Foundation providing services and support to tens of thousands of people in our region each year who truly need them.

"Often, Newcastle United Foundation’s projects fill in significant gaps that the public sector sadly cannot stretch to, particularly at a time when government cuts are so prevalent.

"We would like to invite Mr Corbyn to visit one of these initiatives to experience at first hand the incredible work that is being undertaken by the Foundation in our local community every day."