Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hugo's said before that the story in the last game came together shockingly and embarrassingly late in the development process so maybe. I kinda figured after they got the tone they wanted it would be easier to avoid that this time around.

I wonder if they did some major testing with people outside the studio and found out they've added too much stuff. Do4m was tight and simple, and just looking at how busy the UI is in this one made me wonder if they weren't kitchen sinking a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Donovan Trip posted:

This is actually good because it gives us something new to wildly speculate on. This is a significant delay, and just a little more than a month from release during the holiday season? Seems significant they'd risk getting lost between cyberpunk and the last of us 2 which come out like, the same day?

They're probably changing something substantial. Have they rethought the campaign?

This close to release?

I can't see it. The only thing that makes any sense to me is they had some bugs they knew about, were hoping would all be fixed by launch, but are proving more time consuming than expected.

Announcing 1 month from launch means it has to just be polish. No way are they rethinking the campaign 1 month out. Way way too late. Any campaign changes needed should have been clear a year ago.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Like grand fromage said, Hugo has made it clear the campaign came together embarrassingly late. I just remembered actually, doom 16 got delayed a very similar amount of time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I hope the game delay isn't because of that fuckin' Google Stadia nonsense and the team scrambling to make it work; I'd be legit pissed about that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’ve been calling this game tardy 5

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Tardy 5 was supposed to be a stadia launch title so I doubt it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Donovan Trip posted:

This is actually good because it gives us something new to wildly speculate on. This is a significant delay, and just a little more than a month from release during the holiday season? Seems significant they'd risk getting lost between cyberpunk and the last of us 2 which come out like, the same day?

They're probably changing something substantial. Have they rethought the campaign?

Bethesda does this November no wait actually March thing constantly since Oblivion and it's 100% just based around whether they want to start Q4 of their fiscal year with a game they expect to be strong or end the first quarter of their new fiscal year with said game. It's never had anything to do with the state of the game itself.

Until now, where you can read between the lines and clearly see that the power of DOOM 64 is too much to get out in time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I've been calling it Delayed 5 (months)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I've been calling this game Doom Eternal

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Eternal delay is kinda whatever to me, I can wait on that, but Doom 64 getting shunted back with it is the real bummer. Been super looking forward to that one after running through Doom 1 on my Switch since they fixed the lighting and music

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

The Eternal delay is kinda whatever to me, I can wait on that, but Doom 64 getting shunted back with it is the real bummer. Been super looking forward to that one after running through Doom 1 on my Switch since they fixed the lighting and music

:same: Just give us Doom 64 in November!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Doom nukem eternal

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Delay Bad! Free Doom 64 Good!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mesadoram posted:

I am fine with waiting a little bit longer for a better product.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

YOU HAVE HUGE BUGS

FIX AND TEST

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
ART AND CODE, UNTIL IT IS DONE?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shoehead posted:

He's a pretty good artist in his own right and I'd post some of his work here but like... none of it is safe for work.

Actually he's working on something with zombies that is mostly SFW atm so here

https://twitter.com/HDoomguy/status/1174169433876652032?s=20

Holy poo poo, is that a Templar from Tombs of the Blind Dead? That loving kicks rear end.

That said, I've been waiting for Forsaken Planet for ages now but I think HDoom sidelined it and then he got actual work for his art so I'm starting to think it'll never come out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hwurmp posted:

YOU HAVE HUGE BUGS

:lol:

Neo Rasa posted:

Bethesda does this November no wait actually March thing constantly since Oblivion and it's 100% just based around whether they want to start Q4 of their fiscal year with a game they expect to be strong or end the first quarter of their new fiscal year with said game. It's never had anything to do with the state of the game itself.

This is at least plausible.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Am I the only person who actually didn't realise the Doom64 re-release was a thing until this announcement about it getting pushed as well? Completed went by me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Am I the only person who actually didn't realise the Doom64 re-release was a thing until this announcement about it getting pushed as well? Completed went by me.

It was in a Nintendo Direct or something but if you don't watch those then yeah I could see missing it, didn't make huge news.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Its being delayed so they can add in references to the new movie.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Why are they dead set on launching Doom64-not-on-the-64 on the same day as Eternal? That's the part that makes no sense.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
As far as I can tell it's still coming to switch Nov 22nd, no way are the dates coincidence. There's been a ton of complications in rereleasing doom 64, for like a decade I don't think anyone even knew who technically owned the rights since Midway went kaput and was piecemealed off. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo figured out a few months of timed exclusivity in exchange for letting it come to other systems.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Why are they dead set on launching Doom64-not-on-the-64 on the same day as Eternal? That's the part that makes no sense.

it's a side effect from migrating everything from idTech to Gamebryo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Now I'm delayed! That can't be good!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

catlord posted:

Holy poo poo, is that a Templar from Tombs of the Blind Dead? That loving kicks rear end.

I thought the same thing so it must be! That fuckin' rules.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shoehead posted:

Now I'm delayed! That can't be good!

Why can't we find a way to safely ship games on time? Even if I personally stop this alien invasion, what kind of world are we leaving for our children? And our children's children and...

and...

OH THE HUMANITY!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ONCE YOU PRE-ORDER DOOM ETERNAL AND NOVEMBER 22ND COMES
AROUND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GET THE GAME AREN'T YOU? AREN'T YOU? WHERE'S
YOUR PRE-LOAD OF DOOM ETERNAL AND YOUR FREE DOWNLOAD OF DOOM 64, WHAT
THE HELL IS THIS? IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO END THIS WAY!

IT STINKS LIKE ROTTEN MEAT, BUT LOOKS LIKE BETHESDA DELAYED DOOM ETERNAL.
LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE STUCK PLAYING DOOM, DOOM II, DOOM 3, AND DOOM 2016.
THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH.

TO CONTINUE THE DOOM EXPERIENCE, PLAY THE DOOM SERIES AND IN MARCH
2020 ITS AMAZING SEQUEL, DOOM ETERNAL!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember reading this phrase when I was a kid after beating this game, and will occasionally repeat it to myself when the situation calls for it even now. I'd completely forgotten where I first heard it.

It's a great motivator.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 9, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

They should have sent a poet

:golfclap:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah. Those Doom text cutscenes really capture the imagination, the music helps too. Looking forward to the narrative in this Doom Eternal game next year as well, they have a knack for the cool little touches.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There were several times playing through Borderlands 3 recently that I came to truly miss the simplicity of three text paragraphs accompanied by midi guitars. It's truly a lost art.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I like to imagine John Romero is reading them at me from behind his DM screen

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

:perfect:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

THANK YOU!!! :hfive:

Did you make this with a generator or by editing a WAD and taking a screenshot of it? I could have sworn I had used a generator in the past for stuff like this but was too stupid to find it before shamefully using regular text this time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

THANK YOU!!! :hfive:

Did you make this with a generator or by editing a WAD and taking a screenshot of it? I could have sworn I had used a generator in the past for stuff like this but was too stupid to find it before shamefully using regular text this time.
I could have whipped up a WAD super-quick but I was lazy and used DeathGenerator.com instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

I could have whipped up a WAD super-quick but I was lazy and used DeathGenerator.com instead.

Awesome thank you! My Google skills were so shameful I could not find this site again.