Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Mr. Dick posted:

You bourgeys waste so much money on gear you know who your Sweetwater rep is.

Screwdriver, soldering iron, multimeter, craigslist: Lowest price guarantee!

My SW rep gave up on me because all i would ask for is broken/damaged gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mr. Dick posted:

You bourgeys waste so much money on gear you know who your Sweetwater rep is.

Screwdriver, soldering iron, multimeter, craigslist: Lowest price guarantee!

Real musicians build their synths from scratch out of salvaged components.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean, I know who my Sweetwater rep is because I've been to his house and met his kids and specifically requested my wife give him to me (me to him? I dunno.)

I'm bougie because I live in Lakeview in Chicago now (though only barely affording it.)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This discussion prompted me to creep on my old and new reps. People in Indiana are really into Jesus, it turns out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shart Carbuncle posted:

This discussion prompted me to creep on my old and new reps. People in Indiana are really into Jesus, it turns out.

Churches are a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge part of their market share, too.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

As an engineer it's my sworn duty to hate all sales people in all forms. I don't think I've ever replied to an email or responded to a voicemail from my Sweetwater rep, who I've also never ordered anything from, I just got assigned one I guess because I occasionally buy things on the website. I also delete all their voicemails without listening to them. God, imagine listening to a sales person.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

toadee posted:

As an engineer it's my sworn duty to hate all sales people in all forms.
But what about... sales engineers.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Real musicians build their synths from scratch out of salvaged components.

Unironically this. If you haven't pulled a bunch of opamps, caps and ttl logic chips off a curbside betamax player and reordered them into a stochastic robot fart generator, you're still peeing in the kiddie pool.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Tayter Swift posted:

But what about... sales engineers.

Traitors

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mr. Dick posted:

Unironically this. If you haven't pulled a bunch of opamps, caps and ttl logic chips off a curbside betamax player and reordered them into a stochastic robot fart generator, you're still peeing in the kiddie pool.

What if I've harvested the SID out of a Commodore and turned it into a synth according to some tweaked instructables instructions?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

What if I've harvested the SID out of a Commodore and turned it into a synth according to some tweaked instructables instructions?

Pre-built, weak, 3/10

However, if you want to, you could do worse than https://twisted-electrons.com/product/therapsid/

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
If more than one track is accepted for the bonerjamz, I just made a new one after watching a fantastic set from Laurent Garnier yesterday evening.

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/night-noise

or this one from a few days ago

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/bells

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 8, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I bought some drum stuff over the summer, my rep essentially just added the stuff I wanted to a cart with their usual shipping and called it a day.

Twice.

Dillon2
Apr 3, 2018
Just downloaded a midi chord pack. I would like to emphasis there is no difference between a midi chord pack and human playing the notes and in all cases the midi chord pack is superiour.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I don’t have to pay for the use of my own fingers tho

midi packs cost money, money that could be used on more gear

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What is a midi chord pack

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The only three word phrase that violates rule 34.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

A MIRACLE posted:

What is a midi chord pack

You download a bunch of clips to put in your DAW with the chord changes and voice leading already planned for you. Usually money changes hands.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
If it doesn't have that and it's just poo poo like Cmaj7.mid you got ripped off.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
if you can’t write your own chord progressions, are you really a musician tho?

like fr fr? :iiam:

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Chord prowhats now?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Militant Lesbian posted:

bold of you to call out this entire subforum in a single sentence

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Alternatively, you could spend the money on a blues book and copy the 12 bars out of there. :shrug:

No wrong way to play.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Is the minilogue xd worth the extra cash?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Militant Lesbian posted:

I am honestly not opposed to chord generators and chord predictors and stuff, whatever it takes to get someone interested in more than Am G F G, but the pack with just those kinds of MIDI files is a ripoff especially with FL Studio having a right-click > create chord of whatever sort you want.

Static MIDI files with just 4 or 8 bar progressions are nice but a bit meh. They tend to lack the kind of complexity that really can take you to another level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz3WR-F_pnM&t=1s

According to this I'm probably at the level of midwest cuisine

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
And as a reminder, these tools are available for free: https://magenta.tensorflow.org/studio.

That being said I exclusively use 9 or 13th chords in my gabber music where the bpm approaches audible ranges.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rifter17 posted:

And as a reminder, these tools are available for free: https://magenta.tensorflow.org/studio.

That being said I exclusively use 9 or 13th chords in my gabber music where the bpm approaches audible ranges.

There are some amazing web apps on there that do all kinda of crazy cool stuff. I just drew a squiggle across an evolving drum beat and watched it loop twice. It has MIDI out making this pretty amazing for a jam session to play over.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Idk, is a book of chord progressions any worse than chess players memorizing books of openers or more than one famous songwriter/bandleader from the sixties using a room of session musicians in place of their band and arranging largely by voice and gesture?

Also- I’m hoping to get September BonerJamz up by the end of Friday. Been pulling a bunch of 14 hour shifts in lab lately, appreciate the patience.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rifter17 posted:

Is there something similar to this, but on Android? I'm in front of my phone much more often than I'm in front of my DAW, and so I've been messing around a lot in Caustic, am considering checking out FL Mobile, and while I have other chord programs on there, I'm always looking for more.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anyone play with a Kyra yet?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

massive spider posted:

Is the minilogue xd worth the extra cash?

Mr. Dick only buys synths that can do microtonality. By that standard, it's worth it.

For a regular Earth person who buys midi chord packs and studies jazz music and who isn't trying to recreate the sonorous palette of their homeworld, it probably comes down to how redundant the programmable oscillator is in your setup. The price difference is, what, $300 over a used minilogue?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Dick posted:

Mr. Dick only buys synths that can do microtonality. By that standard, it's worth it.

For a regular Earth person who buys midi chord packs and studies jazz music and who isn't trying to recreate the sonorous palette of their homeworld, it probably comes down to how redundant the programmable oscillator is in your setup. The price difference is, what, $300 over a used minilogue?

It also has a filter that isn’t dogshit and fx, I sold my og minilogue pretty much the second the xd was announced.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The other night I had a major breakthrough on how to patch-program/self-patch the Ken Elby / Cat Girl Synth Serge Resonant EQ, I think in a dream, and now I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

W424 posted:

It also has a filter that isn’t dogshit and fx, I sold my og minilogue pretty much the second the xd was announced.

Isn't it the same filter on the original and xd versions?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

So Math posted:

Isn't it the same filter on the original and xd versions?

Nope

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I made some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLo-2WwUQPs

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

And here I was thinking about an OG Minilogue for babbys first non-software synth. Should I be looking at something else at that price point?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tons of great options used

Bass station 2
Microkorg
Jd xi
Etc etc etc

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing is I think I just really like the sound of the Korg oscillators from the minilogue I played in the shop + YouTube demos

https://youtu.be/EXzJjhTiwq0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Minilogue is a perfectly fine synth for 500 bucks. You can probably get a 10% discount from the various synth retailers (Perfect Circuit, Detroit Modular) if you wait until Halloween when there'll probably be a sale.