Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1181929937659482112
https://mobile.twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1181929304298590208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Asema posted:

Bush was hated, well known to be a liar, and had numerous smokes going up about how it was all bullshit. People knew. People knew the extent of what he was doing but didn't have any way of proving it. The poo poo after-the-fact just gave the proof of what people knew. That's massively different from what you are saying here.

A few people knew, most people, even some of Bush's harshest critics, really did not appreciate the depth of evil he was spreading. And to be honest a lot of people were either so naive or so caught up in their own lives that they genuinely did not want to know and would get extremely upset if you tried to tell them. Circa ~2006 you would be run right out most political conversations for even suggesting Bush was using torture or running secret CIA black sites or spying domestically.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm sure that was a very traumatic experience for her, but again, she's 33...

It's extremely loving easy to not pay attention to politics, stop being weird as hell.

The last year Bush was president, she was 22 and not paying attention to politics. Then, she lived her life and didn't go back and review his presidency until now! Why is this so weird.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rex-Goliath posted:

Is this real?

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1181803982529814528?s=20

What the gently caress happened to him??

In some dusty, South Carolina attic there is an oil painting of a healthy, handsome and selfless immigration attorney.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

Like Jesus Christ JAJ is really decent on a lot of things, god forbid she’s learning now, loving take a hike.

Hey man you are real hostile here for no reason. I'm not even attacking JAJ in my post at all and all I'm doing out is information presented about Bush, which I will remind you that in my statement it boiled down to "We all knew, we just couldn't prove it" which was seen at the time by record breaking protests in both the US and the UK.

Again, there's 0 reason for you to be this defensive over my post.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bunk posted:

Fake but he still looks like poo poo & Ken Jennings stole the obvious joke.

https://twitter.com/GaryLegum/status/1172684540604813313?s=20

would've gone for a fifth element joke.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prester Jane posted:

Circa ~2006 you would be run right out most political conversations for even suggesting Bush was using torture or running secret CIA black sites or spying domestically.
That's extremely false? Like a huge part of McCain's "the good republican" myth, for instance, was about having the immense moral fortitude to go "yeah, I think torture is bad actually".

And the patriot act had a LOT of ineffectual debate around it.

These were, to say the least, fairly well known and discussed subjects.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nail Rat posted:

There are some in the US (especially Tennessee) whom I'd imagine will soon be in concentration camps. Hopefully I'm wrong but it seems like the administration would now peg them as being "dangerous."

Huh, good to know the "especially Tennessee" part, I accidentally drove up to a Turkish festival near Percy Priest Lake a decade back, I didn't know it was because there were so many in the state.

...why are so many in the state, if I was a minority in the US Tennessee would not be my first destination

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Martian posted:

'The rest of NATO' is basically the EU, who will certainly say the violence needs to stop, blah blah blah, but who have basically no military projection power or other means to stop what is happening.

And then the EU will refuse to help the resulting Kurdish refugees and elect a few more far-right madmen

The bolded is very much not true --- the French in particular interfere in all sorts of ways around Africa, often in dubious ways. (What the heck is up with supporting, along with Russia, a geriatric warlord in Libya, for example?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ. How the gently caress can anyone be okay with this

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

theflyingorc posted:

Huh, good to know the "especially Tennessee" part, I accidentally drove up to a Turkish festival near Percy Priest Lake a decade back, I didn't know it was because there were so many in the state.

...why are so many in the state, if I was a minority in the US Tennessee would not be my first destination

TN accepted a lot of refugees at one point. I worked with many in food service when I was in Knoxville for a few years; every time you hear someone say that immigrants and refugees are some of the most under-appreciated and hardest working people, it really doesn't do them justice. They were the best to work with.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

A few people knew, most people, even some of Bush's harshest critics, really did not appreciate the depth of evil he was spreading. And to be honest a lot of people were either so naive or so caught up in their own lives that they genuinely did not want to know and would get extremely upset if you tried to tell them. Circa ~2006 you would be run right out most political conversations for even suggesting Bush was using torture or running secret CIA black sites or spying domestically.
Oh, I remember this! Even in my own dumb teenager/young adult years. It got to the point that even the goddamn euphemism became common knowledge as BS.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xander77 posted:

That's extremely false? Like a huge part of McCain's "the good republican" myth, for instance, was about having the immense moral fortitude to go "yeah, I think torture is bad actually".

And the patriot act had a LOT of ineffectual debate around it.

These were, to say the least, fairly well known and discussed subjects.

Bush's torture program was a massive secret for years, and I don't think it was until Obama's "we tortured some folks" that it was really admitted that we had in fact been torturing people.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So where do the Kurdish refugees go? Southern Syria? Iraq?

God willing somewhere the soon to be resurgent ISIS can't find them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I feel like the Dems should be seizing on the Kurdish situation as a reason to really speed along with the impeachment inquiry. Emphasize that people are dying, right now, because of the corruption of president Trump, which makes it all the more important that the documents be received, the investigation proceed, subpoenas be immediately enforced, so that this can be stop.

Some Republicans actually are upset about this. It could be a vital tool. Especially since it too is almost certainly due to some sort of corrupt actions on the part of the President, and it should be easy to ascertain once the documents are acquired.

It's a situation where every day matters, and Trumps rampant obstructionism shouldn't be tolerated. Goddamn it, we have processes specifically to deal with this sort of situation, come on Dems just loving use them. Good people are dying, right now, waiting on you to do something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

God willing somewhere the soon to be resurgent ISIS can't find them.

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1181934374511677440?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

They're going to be massacred.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Prester Jane posted:

Bush's torture program was a massive secret for years, and I don't think it was until Obama's "we tortured some folks" that it was really admitted that we had in fact been torturing people.
Is this some alternate reality where Abu Ghraib wasn't a huge story in 2004?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
If Trump manages to undo the defeat of ISIS that'll...that'll be something

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is going to end up bringing back the really bad take of "just nuke them all anyway HEH" jokes

But hey at least this time flash is dead and I don't think newgrounds is as popular so all the really dumb terrorist hunter/bush flash games won't be around

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
loving...despair. despair is all I feel right now. There's nothing that can be done in time to stop this massacre. There's things I want to say but they are fruitless and will just lead to a ban. Trump has been awful in every conceivable way, but this is by far the worst thing he's done. And reiterating for the US to stand down, abandon our main allies in the middle east, and let it happen as the bombs fall on civilian population centers, and the military obeyed. We get to watch in real time as yet another American-caused global humanitarian disaster happens. I know there are lots of good people in the world, but it's poo poo like this and the coordinated actions of the despots and their fanatical soldiers that make me just think the human experiment has failed.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

They're going to be massacred.

https://twitter.com/Harryslaststand/status/1181939873378377729?s=20

meanwhile in trump land
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181937134548258818

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

GlyphGryph posted:

Some Republicans actually are upset about this. It could be a vital tool. Especially since it too is almost certainly due to some sort of corrupt actions on the part of the President, and it should be easy to ascertain once the documents are acquired.

Give the Republicans about a day and they'll figure out how this was a good decision. Hell, Rand Paul is already ahead of the pack.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Wark Say posted:

Oh, I remember this! Even in my own dumb teenager/young adult years. It got to the point that even the goddamn euphemism became common knowledge as BS.

According to that link it looks like it wasn't until about 2006 that the torture started to be reported by mainstream sources:

quote:

In 2006, senior law enforcement agents with the Criminal Investigation Task Force told MSNBC.com that they began to complain in 2002 inside the U.S. Department of Defense that the interrogation tactics used in Guantanamo Bay by a separate team of military intelligence investigators were unproductive, not likely to produce reliable information, and probably illegal. Unable to get satisfaction from the army commanders running the detainee camp, they took their concerns to David Brant, director of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), who alerted Navy General Counsel Alberto J. Mora

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

If Trump manages to undo the defeat of ISIS that'll...that'll be something

Do you trust anyone to cover that if it happens though?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Is this real?

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1181803982529814528?s=20

What the gently caress happened to him??

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ISIS is about to come back in force.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Do you trust anyone to cover that if it happens though?

ISIS is very effective at making themselves difficult to ignore.

When they start uploading videos of kurdish children being pulled apart by tanks, it'll be impossible to ignore.

At which point it'll be Obama's fault.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

I mean it was, but then we punished some of the people at the prison responsible for it and didnt bother punishing the rest of the chain of command for condoning/encouraging it, and it went away.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Prester Jane posted:

what

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is absolutely awful, and this idiot fucker did it for two dumb ugly buildings in Istanbul and as a distraction that didn't even loving work

I hate him so god drat much

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prester Jane posted:

I generally don't think that arguing with anyone who straight up claims that black is white and the sky is green is worthwhile, but... well, I have the link handy, since you actually caused me to doubt my memory and google:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/02/AR2006030202054_pf.html

I'm not even talking about Abu Gharib, just about mainstream Republican conversations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Currently Abu Ghraib is the worst post a military policeman could get, and everybody posted there hates it because the inmates throw feces at them.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean it was, but then we punished some of the people at the prison responsible for it and didnt bother punishing the rest of the chain of command for condoning/encouraging it, and it went away.

I distinctly remember the phrase "a few bad apples" being thrown around a whole bunch about Abu ghraib.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Telsa Cola posted:

Its a Good Place joke.

Hahaha I'm an idiot. I love The Good Place and still completely missed it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

SubG posted:

The torture memos also came out in 2004. Of course W was still re-elected, so it's not so accurate to say the torture was secret so much that a large fraction of the public was on-board or at the very least tolerated the practice. I should comment outside of the US and the associated media reality distortion it was generally very clear what the Bush admin was up to, including the motivation for the Iraq War being transparently false.

Also Trump has managed to directly cause innocent people to die. At least, more innocent people than before.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Prester Jane posted:

It took years for the details of the CIA waterboarding program and the torture at gitmo to come out but the torture program and abuses at Abu Ghraib were reported on as early as 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse - note link contains pictures of torture

quote:

In June 2003, Amnesty International published reports of human rights abuses by the U.S. military and its coalition partners at detention centers and prisons in Iraq.[26] These included reports of brutal treatment at Abu Ghraib prison, which had once been used by the government of Saddam Hussein, and had been taken over by the United States after the invasion.

quote:

On December 21, 2004, the American Civil Liberties Union released copies of internal memoranda from the Federal Bureau of Investigation that it had obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. These discussed torture and abuse at prisons in Guantanamo Bay, Afghanistan, and Iraq. One memorandum dated May 22, 2004 was from an individual described as the "On Scene Commander – Baghdad," but whose name had been redacted.[32] This individual referred explicitly to an Executive Order that sanctioned the use of extraordinary interrogation tactics by U.S. military personnel.

quote:

The Bush administration did not initially acknowledge the abuses at Abu Ghraib. After the pictures were published and the evidence became incontrovertible, the initial reaction from the administration characterized the scandal as an isolated incident uncharacteristic of U.S. actions in Iraq.[9] Bush described the abuses as the actions of a few individuals, who were disregarding the values of the US.[9] This view was widely disputed, notably in Arab countries. In addition, the International Red Cross had been making representations about abuse of prisoners for more than a year before the scandal broke.[82] Vice President Dick Cheney's office had played a central role in eliminating limits on coercion in U.S. custody, commissioning and defending legal opinions that the administration later portrayed as the initiatives of lower-ranking officials.[83]

skylined! fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 9, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus Christ. How the gently caress can anyone be okay with this

Well, fittingly, pretty much nobody is. Aside from Trump, Erdogan, and for some reason Rand Paul.

I can only assume he's talking about his own election (since that's all he ever talks about)... He does realize he wasn't running against Obama, right?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
My bad, it seems like torture was a bit more widely known a bit earlier than I remembered, but there was definitely a period of time during Bush's presidency where things like the torture or the black sites or the domestic spying were considered conspiracy theorist territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, fittingly, pretty much nobody is. Aside from Trump, Erdogan, and for some reason Rand Paul.

I can only assume he's talking about his own election (since that's all he ever talks about)... He does realize he wasn't running against Obama, right?

Rand Paul is okay with it because "just scary brown non-Americans, what's the big deal?", because he is scum just like his father