Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

One of our websites is a glorified task list for clients. One of the features is that users can comment on a task in a thread-style chain. One task can have zero to infinity comments.

We also provide an export that lets them pull down these tasks to a flat file. One row per task. A few groups have asked to include comments in the extract. Obviously we can’t extract 50+ concatenated comments to a single cell in a flat file and have it be meaningful.

Ideas? We could extract most recent comment only but that seems like it could be unhelpful (and also the next request we would get would be to extract them all). I’ve pushed on this but if there’s an obvious solution I’m missing I’d love to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ruggan posted:

One of our websites is a glorified task list for clients. One of the features is that users can comment on a task in a thread-style chain. One task can have zero to infinity comments.

We also provide an export that lets them pull down these tasks to a flat file. One row per task. A few groups have asked to include comments in the extract. Obviously we can’t extract 50+ concatenated comments to a single cell in a flat file and have it be meaningful.

Ideas? We could extract most recent comment only but that seems like it could be unhelpful (and also the next request we would get would be to extract them all). I’ve pushed on this but if there’s an obvious solution I’m missing I’d love to hear it.

If someone is asking for it, ask them what they want and explain the difficulty.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ruggan posted:

You have the task 1 on row 1, col 1, then the comments on subsequent rows (row 1-50) in column 2. Task 2 in row 51, col 1, comments in row 51-100, col 2. Some pipe or fixed with or something separated so one can easily import that into excel or whatever spreadsheet program.

Sure, this would be an option, as not everyone will want to export the comments. Maybe an additional option can be how many comments per task to export. Maybe have a hard limit at some arbitrary number, 1000 or something, so you don't DOS yourself.

edit: essentially the task will get a rowspan=50 attribute.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 9, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

CarForumPoster posted:

Its required that the place be a public accommodation as defined by the ADA. The first question on this page does a good job of describing what that is: https://www.eeoc.gov/facts/adaqa2.html

A decent laymans rule of thumb is: Can I go to it for some service without an appointment? E.g. I can pay a bill at a dentists office without an appointment, so it's probably a place of public accommodation under the ADA.

Yeah, but I, being a layman who grew up with internet access, would just assume any website I can access a "public accommodation" so the physical location requirement is surprising. Does this mean Ally that, IIRC, is an online-only bank with no branch locations, is immune from the ADA? I assume we can't know until some similar business is sued and fights it.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Thermopyle posted:

If someone is asking for it, ask them what they want and explain the difficulty.

Already do this, with unfortunate frequency. Open to suggestions from them but when explained most folks get it.

Volguus posted:

You have the task 1 on row 1, col 1, then the comments on subsequent rows (row 1-50) in column 2. Task 2 in row 51, col 1, comments in row 51-100, col 2. Some pipe or fixed with or something separated so one can easily import that into excel or whatever spreadsheet program.

Sure, this would be an option, as not everyone will want to export the comments. Maybe an additional option can be how many comments per task to export. Maybe have a hard limit at some arbitrary number, 1000 or something, so you don't DOS yourself.

edit: essentially the task will get a rowspan=50 attribute.

Not a bad idea but unlikely to work. Many groups have 20k tasks with a few comments on many. Very quickly an unmanageable extract format.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
If it's exported to a spreadsheet file, then comments could go in a separate sheet within the file, one row per comment. That way you've got the convenience of a single file, the regular users can use the main sheet in the same way while ignoring the comments sheet, and the users who want comments can access them one-per-row which is less clunky than trying to mash them all onto a single row.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Even as a private company we ended up having to do at least AA compliance, as companies promise their employees that their disabilities will not interfere with their ability to work.

Since those companies are our clients, their promise became our job. That went down about two years ago, and after aiming for that in all code I write it doesn't really feel like I spend too much more time making something compliant than I would have not worrying about it. It was a huge effort to convert originally, but going forward it hasn't been a big deal.

The only thing I struggle with now is not noticing when something will affect colorblind users, it's usually not a problem but it comes up a lot with warning vs error message colors.

I totally agree that a hard set of standard rules is absolutely required for compliance purposes now, though. After this legislation happened we now NEED to know what benchmarks we need to hit to not be sued, because we're about to have a shitload of lawsuits and a huge number of them will probably be frivolous. Just saying "AA" probably won't be enough for law purposes.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

minato posted:

If it's exported to a spreadsheet file, then comments could go in a separate sheet within the file, one row per comment. That way you've got the convenience of a single file, the regular users can use the main sheet in the same way while ignoring the comments sheet, and the users who want comments can access them one-per-row which is less clunky than trying to mash them all onto a single row.

That’s a decent idea. Right now our export is csv but I’ve considered switching us to an excel sheet since that’s pretty much what everyone does with it anyway.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Apologies, as I mentioned this is my pet peeve.

Thermopyle posted:

That's not how I read his post at all.

It's more like, "now we can be sued for not complying with something that we have no way of knowing if we're complying with".

The Dave posted:

I'll agree it would be nice if there was a standard and an expectation but there's also a big corporation ignoring all of them when they should have a responsibility.

That is just some really scummy logic of "it takes effort and time so why do it?". If you don't have the means to produce an accessible website then you don't have the means to have a custom website and should be using a website building service that offloads that burden.

Literally every week I see tiny hotels which are part of a chain like Best Value Inns, owned by some random dude in a small town get sued because the corporation's booking website "isn't ADA compliant." (Which, as we've established, is basically impossible to verify.) The compliance issue at the heart of the lawsuit? The dude would have to pick up the phone to verify that they have ADA accessible rooms. They do have them. They just cant book that specific room through the corporate website. Keep in mind the person they're suing HAS ZERO loving CONTROL OF THE WEBSITE THEY'RE BEING SUED ABOUT. IT IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO REMEDY IT BECAUSE ITS MAINTAINED BY THEIR PARENT CORP. THE ATTORNEY SUES EACH LOCATION RATHER THAN THE PARENT CORP.

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, but I, being a layman who grew up with internet access, would just assume any website I can access a "public accommodation" so the physical location requirement is surprising. Does this mean Ally that, IIRC, is an online-only bank with no branch locations, is immune from the ADA? I assume we can't know until some similar business is sued and fights it.

Yep this is a great point. What's the answer under the law?

EVEN THE loving BAR ASSOCIATION CANT CONCLUSIVELY ANSWER THAT.

quote:

The circuit courts are divided over whether a website can be a place of public accommodation. “There’s a split amongst some of the circuits as to whether or not, if you solely reside on the Internet, if you’re covered by Title III or if you really have to have a brick-and-mortar location in addition to a website,” explains David Gevertz, Atlanta, GA, cochair of the ABA Section of Litigation’s Labor and Employment Committee.
Source: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...ubject-the-ada/

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CarForumPoster posted:

Literally every week I see tiny hotels which are part of a chain like Best Value Inns, owned by some random dude in a small town get sued because the corporation's booking website "isn't ADA compliant." (Which, as we've established, is basically impossible to verify.) The compliance issue at the heart of the lawsuit? The dude would have to pick up the phone to verify that they have ADA accessible rooms. They do have them. They just cant book that specific room through the corporate website. Keep in mind the person they're suing HAS ZERO loving CONTROL OF THE WEBSITE THEY'RE BEING SUED ABOUT. IT IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO REMEDY IT BECAUSE ITS MAINTAINED BY THEIR PARENT CORP. THE ATTORNEY SUES EACH LOCATION RATHER THAN THE PARENT CORP.

And then the franchise forwards the suit to the parent corporation that operates the website, and the lawyers for the parent corporation send their form letter replies and work it through to a settlement. What would you prefer happen? That companies get to entirely dodge having to obey the law by saying that their website is operated by someone else?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

Correct.

Heck, it could turn out what they actually want is a JSON file or something.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Literally every week I see tiny hotels which are part of a chain like Best Value Inns, owned by some random dude in a small town get sued because the corporation's booking website "isn't ADA compliant." (Which, as we've established, is basically impossible to verify.) The compliance issue at the heart of the lawsuit? The dude would have to pick up the phone to verify that they have ADA accessible rooms. They do have them. They just cant book that specific room through the corporate website.

Like I agree that the chain of lawsuits and who is responsible for what is hosed, however, the disabled person has a right here and the core of the problem is that software needs to be fixed. If you’re hand waving it with just “oh they can call” then you’re contributing to the greater issue.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Much like the GDPR regulations, requirements and enforcement should depend on the size of the business and their ability to meaningfully comply with the laws.

A company like Dominoes should be proper hosed by the law if they aren't reasonably accessible, and a small local restaurant should be given a reasonable opportunity to fix particular outstanding issues which have caused some form of damages to a customer prior to being fined, since they have fewer resources to test compliance with accessibility best practices.

This is a situation where humans can actually use their own judgement to determine what is reasonable and act based upon it, instead of wringing their hands and going "WHAT IF BILLY BOB'S FOOD HUT HAS A WEBSITE WITH NOT ENOUGH CONTRAST???"

In the case of small local franchises being hosed over by a corporate website, that's a bad situation, but I'd say the solution is a class-action suit of the franchise owners against the parent brand which is not providing them with the support to which they are entitled. A person with a disability who cannot use the website still has been damaged by the business with which they cannot interact, so I think they are still right to sue an individual location instead of the parent brand.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Mandatory arbitration means class action lawsuits are now de facto impossible for most people and small businesses.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Roadie posted:

Mandatory arbitration means class action lawsuits are now de facto impossible for most people and small businesses.

This has nothing to do with ADA compliance HTH

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Munkeymon posted:

This has nothing to do with ADA compliance HTH

But...the guy right before recommended a class action suit.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Thermopyle posted:

But...the guy right before recommended a class action suit.

Yeah but nobody makes users click through accepting a contract before seeing a site. It's basically an absurd non-sequitur.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah but nobody makes users click through accepting a contract before seeing a site. It's basically an absurd non-sequitur.

The suggestion was that franchise owners who don't control the website sue the brand owner through class action.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I've been using Gravit Designer for some UX poo poo for a while and I like it. It doesn't have CSS exports which kind of sucks but whatever. I'm not using a Mac so I can't have sketch but has anyone used Gravit vs. something like XD.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This will be my last post on the derail. It is impossible to comply with ADA website laws enough to avoid a lawsuit. Here is an ADA case about website reservations against a hotel. The hotel DOES NOT HAVE A WEBSITE.

Yes, the website lawsuit is against a business that doesn't have a website.

For real.

HappyHippo posted:

The suggestion was that franchise owners who don't control the website sue the brand owner through class action.

Actual excerpt from an ADA website case:

quote:

This website is located at [sic] These website are located atbooking.com, hotels.com, orbitz.com, priceline.com and expedia.com.
[...]
Specifically, booking.com had no option to book an accessible room;hotel amenities, room types and amenities are all listed in detail; no information was given about accessibility in the hotel other than the statement "facilities for disabled guests". Hotels.com had no option to book an accessible room; hotel amenities, room types and amenities are all listed in detail; no information was given about accessibility in the hotel. Expedia.com had no option to book an accessible room;hotel amenities, room types and amenities are all listed in detail; no information was given about accessibility in the hotel. Orbitz.com had no option to book an accessible room;

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 13, 2019

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Is using Netlify CMS headlessly on Debian a thing people do? I'm learning more about the JAMStack and want to pick a tool to re-write my personal site in. I've decided I want to use Gatsby and deploy myself on a Debian box. I should be using an API-driven CMS, yeah? Would something like Ghost or Wordpress be better for this?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Why not just deploy on netlify though?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Just use gatsby’s md plugin for content management and push to any number of free or pennies level cheap storage hosting options or cons

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I work for a host, so hosting is free in my case :)

After a little more research, it seems like JAM Stacks weren't really meant to be self-hosted, unless you're willing to set up automated pipelines yourself, which wouldn't be terribly hard. Ghost CMS looks like you can create Webhooks when you publish something new, so I could technically re-build my site with ease, but it's definitely more than an easy effort.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 13, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CarForumPoster posted:

This will be my last post on the derail. It is impossible to comply with ADA website laws enough to avoid a lawsuit. Here is an ADA case about website reservations against a hotel. The hotel DOES NOT HAVE A WEBSITE.

Something you don't seem to have realised about the American court system: anybody can sue anybody for anything! At all! I could sue you for using bold all-caps in this post!

The fact that someone has filed a suit does not mean that their claims have merit, and it does not mean that it won't be immediately dismissed as soon as the judge gets a chance to rule on a summary judgement motion.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Grump posted:

I work for a host, so hosting is free in my case :)

After a little more research, it seems like JAM Stacks weren't really meant to be self-hosted, unless you're willing to set up automated pipelines yourself, which wouldn't be terribly hard. Ghost CMS looks like you can create Webhooks when you publish something new, so I could technically re-build my site with ease, but it's definitely more than an easy effort.

But it's a personal site so Netlify is free too. You can set it up to deploy every time you push to github so it really doesn't get much easier.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

The Fool posted:

Just use gatsby’s md plugin for content management and push to any number of free or pennies level cheap storage hosting options or cons

This. Especially if it’s just a blog, no need for a cms

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://github.com/solidsnail/readme-jsx/

ok like i love react too dude but come on

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Inacio posted:

That is more popular than half of my modules.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Ape Fist posted:

I've been using Gravit Designer for some UX poo poo for a while and I like it. It doesn't have CSS exports which kind of sucks but whatever. I'm not using a Mac so I can't have sketch but has anyone used Gravit vs. something like XD.

It's pretty good, not close to XD/Sketch for that specific usalecase (& given the issues list I don't see how they'll get to stuff like CSS exports anytime soon, if ever), but it's close enough to Illustrator for it to be very useful. I have a laptop with Linux on so used it quite heavily because it's basically the only good, polished graphics program of its type available. It's missing features though, and afaics it was still beta software when it was taken over by Corel. Few issues that I can remember facing (there were a lot more):

- can't lock guidelines: this is a massive pain in the rear end
- no ability to use custom brushes (this may be a complete non-issue for you)
- good SVG editing, lack thereof
- bezier handles don't snap to grid, and can't be shifted around using the keyboard
- fonts aren't shared with files, ie not embedded

When it was taken over, they changed the licensing structure, and stripped out features on the free tier. Which felt like a kick in the teeth, given that the software is imo feature-incomplete anyway.

It works, UI is very nice, and even paid is cheaper than Illustrator (natch). I could use it easily for professional work despite issues with it, so that's a massive plus. But Affinity is much better if you can run it (and is a single payment). If you're Linux Gravit is basically the best bet (Akira looks a very good prospect, but it's afaics one main developer and development of it seems to be dog slow). I've been back on Adobe stuff on Mac for past year and have dumped Gravit for the minute, so it may have improved since then, but looking through the support forums just now & looks like it hasn't, YMMV.

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 14, 2019

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
The fonts thing has been an issue yeah. There seems to be a tab for imported fonts on the font selection screen which I had assumed meant the font was imported into the file when you brought it in but switching from my Windows over to my Linux machine and opening the design I was working on seemed to show that that wasn't the case. Or rather the file may be saved inside the document but it doesn't get uploaded to the cloud. It starts to chug real loving hard when the document you're working on starts to get pretty complex but that could be more of a system resource thing (although my home PC is a relatively powerful gaming rig so I dunno.)

XD also doesn't really seem to have much in the way of CSS exports and I don't really trust Zeplin's interpretation of font properties at all tbh. (it was actually a constant problem we experienced in a professional environment at work which could have probably been solved if the designers would just loving make a font descriptor component but they could literally never be hosed to do that.)

I'm not really a Designer by profession I'm an FED who likes to design stuff occasionally and I can produce passable work. If there's something complex I can't implement in a tool like Gravit I know I have the skills to implement the vision in code so I'm not overly worried about that.

Good to get someone's informed opinion about Gravit though.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Inacio posted:

I like the 1990s style all caps <COMPONENT> names.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

HappyHippo posted:

Ah, my bad then.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is there a good resource for a guideline regarding Accessible Design/Universal Design (not sure which is the more common name) in web? Like specific rules regarding wai-aria, how to do buttons properly etc. All I find are just general stuff.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Try a11y project? I normally use it as first point of call

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Thought some of you guys might like to look at this:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d3awk7/flash-is-responsible-for-the-internets-most-creative-era?utm_source=reddit.com

I kind of agree with it. I do remember some really loving great websites from the mid 00s which heavily relied on flash and provided a great user experience but they obviously didn't hold up in the age of fluid screen sizes.

But the article ends with saying that the web is a lot less creative than it used to be and I'm definitely not really sure about that.

Being creative on the web is just harder than it used to be. You can do most of what you wanted to do in Flash on the web now via JS & JS Libraries but flash gave non-coding people a way of developing and designing user experiences, and to match those experiences now you need to write a _lot_ of very abstract JS which doesn't lend itself well to people who work in a very visual medium.

The Web Awards are chock full of responsive, beautiful, creative websites which don't need Flash at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Another thing is that it's harder to create fancy sites that are also accessible...which basically nothing in Flash ever was.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Creative websites were mostly stupid and bad and user-hostile.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Nothing better than having to watch an unskippable flash video with music at max volume so you can download a ff7 wallpaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I'm trying to figure out how to build a web page that pulls data into separate sections of the page from a database into columnar tables so that each column is sortable.

Ordinarily I would work around this by building multiple pages and clicking on that column would load a new page with the results of the query sorted by that column. Okay, so I admit to being a newbie to web development. I know my way around a LAMP/WISP stack but only in the most google-able rudimentary way.

But on a page whose content will be multiple tables generated from multiple queries, there is a better way to do this that doesn't involve launching queries over and over again as a user sorts by this column or that column in ascending or descending order.

FWIW I'm using PHP/IIS or Apache/MySQL or SQL Server, and am considering teaching myself JavaScript if necessary, but would rather not go down that rabbit hole if I don't have to.

My basic problem is that I don't know what keywords to google to solve this situation.