Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gay Hitler posted:

I keep getting a bug where my children are joining the varangian guard at age like 2. Actually random NPCs in every state are also becoming varangian guard

Is this my custom character having had that trait at start, or having started as the Roman culture, or something with shattered world?

pretty sure only anglosaxon and Norse pagans can get Varangian events. that was the case last time I dived into the code, which was pre holy fury. sounds like a bug related to shattered world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

whoa, our crusade just rerouted to the Byzantines like the irl 4th. didn’t know that was a thing, wonder if it’s just HIP or in vanilla too.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It's been in vanilla since Holy Fury.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

a fatguy bald spot posted:

whoa, our crusade just rerouted to the Byzantines like the irl 4th. didn’t know that was a thing, wonder if it’s just HIP or in vanilla too.

that's a vanilla 4th crusade event

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a fatguy bald spot posted:

It's only when there's a terrible pope, IIRC

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

rad! the doge of Venice even gave me some money to do so. he later proposed a marriage with a bride price of like 300. generous guy. bit weird that he’s pulling this sh*t in the 950s but still neat.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
If I build Royal Apartments in my Grand Lighthouse of Nikomedeia, will the buffs and ability to hold private conversations apply to my character, even if I don't hold that county? Likewise army buffs from other features - is it just to troops from that county? The Earl is an indirect vassal of mine.

Also, is it me, or is the "sort" function a bit... half-functioning in some places. Thinking specifically the known plots list - when I sort by name of target, it will kind of half put them in alphabetical order, but not fully.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a screen where I can quickly see the claims of people in my realm that I can go to war over (especially if they're in my dynasty)?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

If I build Royal Apartments in my Grand Lighthouse of Nikomedeia, will the buffs and ability to hold private conversations apply to my character, even if I don't hold that county? Likewise army buffs from other features - is it just to troops from that county? The Earl is an indirect vassal of mine.

Also, is it me, or is the "sort" function a bit... half-functioning in some places. Thinking specifically the known plots list - when I sort by name of target, it will kind of half put them in alphabetical order, but not fully.

Buffs and abilities will apply even if the wonder is not in your demense. Buffs to levy size are local to the province of the wonder, and possibly also levy morale.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Comanche were the last other big old-world cultist state worth allying and marrying with, and they were taken out by a catholic crusade. Now the Ursulines have decided to crusade for The Old Dominion, and I don't nearly have enough soldiers to stand against the Canadians now that the entire confederacy has converted. I think that's going to be it for this run.

Maybe next time I won't start on the east coast. It's too tight a fit between the Anabaptist bros and the confederacy. But being unable to conduct diplomacy with ANY big nations is just too limiting. At least the pagans should be open-minded. I couldn't even pull the favor invite hussle on half the people I tried it on for some reason.

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a screen where I can quickly see the claims of people in my realm that I can go to war over (especially if they're in my dynasty)?

There's a popup for claims that can be pushed. If there's specific titles you want to track down claimants for, there's a button to see all the claimants on the title screen.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thought I’d try a West Africa game, and while I’ve had a good start, I’m concerned about gold. Just before I went to bed last night I got enough to get the Empire title and the last holy site to reform the religion, but I’m sleeping on it to figure out which to pick. My issue with gold is I know I can raid, but at this point my demense is in the SW corner of the map way the gently caress away from anybody and it takes forever to get them up North and even then they aren’t really rich provinces. Can get East faster, but they’re even poorer. If I have no armies raised I get like 1 gold a month. Will take 2 years to get the gold for a trade on the gold mine.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is there anyone nearby you can extort tribute from? That’s one of the best ways to get money in tribal games and it isn’t hamstrung by county geography quite as much as raiding

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It’s not just you. I close and reopen the character window completely when this happens, and make sure I get it right the first time when sorting because clicking multiple times tends to screw it up again.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got some thoughts on how i can create merchant republic vassals as a enatic clans (female rules only) ruler? I can't gift the duchy to a female mayor cause "men only!!" and i can't gift the duchy to a male mayor that i cheated in cause "no men!!".

I tried:

Installing the two female merchant republic mods i could find (they were having a huge slapfight over mod drama HEHE), but i still couldn't gift it to anyone.
Cheating the title around to create a male with the duchy and cities, this kiiiinda created a merchant republic? I didn't get the pop up, the castle is still the top holding graphically, the merchant dude/dudette has normal clothing, the duchy title still has a castle type name and i can't play as them from the main menu, but they are called The Grand Wizard of the Merchant Republic or whatever and the castle holding is listed as their vassal. Sooo, i don't know how well that took.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

KDdidit posted:

Thought I’d try a West Africa game, and while I’ve had a good start, I’m concerned about gold. Just before I went to bed last night I got enough to get the Empire title and the last holy site to reform the religion, but I’m sleeping on it to figure out which to pick. My issue with gold is I know I can raid, but at this point my demense is in the SW corner of the map way the gently caress away from anybody and it takes forever to get them up North and even then they aren’t really rich provinces. Can get East faster, but they’re even poorer. If I have no armies raised I get like 1 gold a month. Will take 2 years to get the gold for a trade on the gold mine.

Reform the faith first, then do the empire. But I recommend giving it some time before going feudal/republic because once you lose that sweet tribal swarm muscle you'll be vulnerable until your vassals convert to the new gov.

As for raiding just raid everybody on your borders, including the poors.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It’s not just you. I close and reopen the character window completely when this happens, and make sure I get it right the first time when sorting because clicking multiple times tends to screw it up again.

Same here. Seems to be the same with the ledger and other people lists such as your list of vassals as well.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Page 14 the ledger is a claims page.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Hip gives reformed tribal lords a nice chunk of event troops to get them over the hump and I really appreciate it

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone who plays on mac confirm if the beta 64 bit runs on Catalina?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've never been able to figure out the point of sanctioned invasions. There's so many restrictions on them that you will almost always have an easier to use CB available.

For a catholic there aren't many options to grab the whole kingdom/empire otherwise - it's sanctioned invasion or getting a claim through marriage or ambitious plotting on liege.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

Can anyone who plays on mac confirm if the beta 64 bit runs on Catalina?

Also wondering this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Started a new ATE run, this time as the Wayne family. My opening moves after the scripted stuff went well enough. I'm now the successor to Laggard, and I'm even his Spymaster. All that's left is to give the guy a knife-themed retirement party. I initiate a plot to kill him, but when I go to the Intrigue menu, it shows a complete blank on possible backers. Not even people that are unwilling to join the plot. Just...no one. What gives?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

Started a new ATE run, this time as the Wayne family. My opening moves after the scripted stuff went well enough. I'm now the successor to Laggard, and I'm even his Spymaster. All that's left is to give the guy a knife-themed retirement party. I initiate a plot to kill him, but when I go to the Intrigue menu, it shows a complete blank on possible backers. Not even people that are unwilling to join the plot. Just...no one. What gives?

as a minor generated family in a republic, do you have any courtiers at all? your court could be completely empty

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

luxury handset posted:

as a minor generated family in a republic, do you have any courtiers at all? your court could be completely empty

Well I got a few peeps that are coming in from a city we got from a war.

However, I need to recheck when I get home, but I think Laggard was the only guy I was having this problem with (I could be remembering wrong). Assuming your right, then if I start inviting people to my court I'll get co-conspirators. Do I got that right?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that's my guess. as the ruler of the republic you have vassals and stuff as well as courtly members you can draw on for plots. if you're a baron-tier family within the republic you may not have anyone at all, until you invite enough people to your court for a little entourage

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

the problem I always have in ATE is that the geography of NA is just not as strategically interesting as Europe.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Also: what does the bloodline that says “Characters have an easier time joining Warrior Lodges” do?? kinda assumed it would let me join lodges as a Christian but no luck

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it refers to the initiation rituals you have to perform when joining warrior lodges. i think if you have that bloodline they just let you in rather than forcing you to fight in a duel.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Wow what a goddamn waste of a bloodline.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Neurion posted:

Wow what a goddamn waste of a bloodline.

yea no poo poo huh. oh well, +10 personal combat is nothing to sneeze at I guess.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not bad if you can get it after you get one the normal way.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Randaconda posted:

I wonder, how many can you get on one character? I've had characters founding 3 - one from forge bloodline ambition, one from warrior society legend and one from religion for sacrificing lots of people. I think if I've set the goal of maximum bloodlines from starting character duelist bloodline was possible to add to those, and something for forming massive titles, and second religious one if I picked doctrines in pagan reformation for that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've only managed to get three: Forge bloodline, warrior society, and Alexander.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
With careful breeding you could get all the historical bloodlines involved.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Randaconda posted:

sadly you can’t do it in the opposite order and I’ve already gotten the warrior lodge line...plus I never really wanna go on the massive conquering sprees that are required to get enough prestige for the forge bloodline ambition to appear. my usual mo is to conquer a kingdom plus a few duchies that I want to drift into it, then either sit back and play around with dynastic stuff or switch the kingdom to elective and go back and forth ruling and being ruled.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

forged bloodlines are the only ones with restrictions on them. if you have a forged bloodline, you cannot get another on that character. however, you can have all the historical bloodlines, 6 saintly bloodlines from 3 different religions, and a heroic bloodline from some warrior lodge all on the same character and still forge vile blood or whatever.

bloodline breeding is one of those things that a lot of people overvalue, technically, because many bloodlines are pretty fundamentally useless. the best thing you can get from bloodlines, in general, is bonus prestige and piety for existing. however, people also kind of don't overvalue them in the sense that the way i've seen most people handle the issue is that when their character is up for marriage and is still fertile, the will pause the game, check the ledger, and basically see if they can finagle a bloodline scenario within a year or so in-game time. if they can't, they table the idea and go looking for a more stereotypically good spouse. there's not usually a lot of costs in game, really. sometimes you toss out a bribe to buy a favor or something but that's close to it. that's not a lot of effort invested into an advantage that is most likely going to be with you for the rest of the game.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Coolguye posted:

forged bloodlines are the only ones with restrictions on them. if you have a forged bloodline, you cannot get another on that character. however, you can have all the historical bloodlines, 6 saintly bloodlines from 3 different religions, and a heroic bloodline from some warrior lodge all on the same character and still forge vile blood or whatever.

bloodline breeding is one of those things that a lot of people overvalue, technically, because many bloodlines are pretty fundamentally useless. the best thing you can get from bloodlines, in general, is bonus prestige and piety for existing. however, people also kind of don't overvalue them in the sense that the way i've seen most people handle the issue is that when their character is up for marriage and is still fertile, the will pause the game, check the ledger, and basically see if they can finagle a bloodline scenario within a year or so in-game time. if they can't, they table the idea and go looking for a more stereotypically good spouse. there's not usually a lot of costs in game, really. sometimes you toss out a bribe to buy a favor or something but that's close to it. that's not a lot of effort invested into an advantage that is most likely going to be with you for the rest of the game.

from the wiki: "Warning: Any created bloodline, which means any bloodline except historical and saintly (including ancestor veneration) ones, on the character will prevent taking this ambition."

agree with you on the rest tho

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i wonder if that has changed. i know shortly after the bloodlines came out i had a kick myself moment when i realized my warrior lodge bloodline wouldn't interfere with the forge, and sure enough it did not. that was months and multiple patches ago, though. i normally don't run into warrior lodge bloodlines now because i don't usually play pagans.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Breeding in any bloodline that attracts great warriors is worth it just for the amazing commanders it spits out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Breeding in any bloodline that attracts great warriors is worth it just for the amazing commanders it spits out.

the white knight bloodline is actually one of the best bloodlines you can forge early for this purpose too. you double down on amazing commanders with karling blood, and you also get amazing chancellors from the bard proc. there are other forged bloodlines that are definitely better (the hybrid builder one for example), but white knight is so easy you can do it in your first or second lifetime.

i've seen it argued that it's not that great because talent acquisition is really more of a count and duke problem, not a king and emperor problem but i don't really feel like that holds a ton of water when the procs drop people out with 25+ in their relevant skill, and drops the permanent +50 opinion on them as well.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 9, 2019