Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Newspapers, even "papers of record," print propaganda all the time and it's not limited to opinion columns. It's just especially horrible when you do it from a guy who also just pledged his government would genocide some folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Trabisnikof posted:

Can you point to any examples from WaPo recently of an Op-Eds that is as good as posting an Op-Ed from the leader of a genocide demographics correction is bad?

No, I'm not going to trawl through their Opinions section for you and whether I could find anything or not does not actually matter to the point I'm trying to get across.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Groovelord Neato posted:

platforming an opinion is endorsing it.

Louder and on the new page for the people who are providing cover

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Trump PROBABLY won't be removed by the Senate

But I'm comfortable saying that the odds are no longer effectively 0. It's hard to imagine his handling of this being poorer. He's currently got Lindsey Graham saying he's wrong on Twitter, and nearly everyone is critiquing his decisions RE: Turkey.

Trump being removed is going to require some amazing self-destruction that directly threatens the senate republicans. We're talking things like actually having Adam Schiff arrested or announcing that he'll institute mandatory abortions in exchange for democrats stopping impeachment. Trump's working on it; I think by Thanksgiving we'll have a much better idea if he'll manage to shoot himself in the foot enough to get republican senators on board.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Is CNN talking about Biden giving a big speech and showing it silently in a box mean they're loving him or saving him?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

The issue is that opinions aren't supposed to have the weight of reporting, but in actuality, it's really close. Even if you don't condone it, it FEELS like you do if you print it without specific disclaimers.

Particularly when the title of the piece, "The World Must Support Turkey's Plan For Northeastern Syria," is featured prominently on the frontpage. There's no defending this; the Post is garbage and morally bankrupt. gently caress them.

e: Or, more succinctly:

Groovelord Neato posted:

platforming an opinion is endorsing it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A huge problem with the Mueller stuff is that things would go radio silent for months at a time killing any potential momentum. And then when it finally came out it was a letdown that the GOP was prepared to deal with.

Also that Bill Barr's initial "summary" completely mislead the media and they somehow weren't calling for his resignation when the actual report vastly contradicted what he said

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Objurium posted:

Democracy Dies in Darkness, afterall :smug:

One of the biggest weaknesses of true democracy is that it protects those internally that wish to see it destroyed.

Our pseudo-democracy is even more vulnerable

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

I don’t necessarily agree with the practice. I just want to head off the inevitable “WaPo published terrible opinions and is therefore Fake News Media biased against the left” at the pass because the opinion section and news sections are separate.

You........ you. realize the Post chooses which peices to publish right? They don't print every op-ed that's send in. I wonder what reasons they use when choosing......

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I want to be clear that my post at the top of the page is saying papers publish propaganda constantly but also publishing that piece is hellaciously egregious.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 9, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Trump being removed is going to require some amazing self-destruction that directly threatens the senate republicans. We're talking things like actually having Adam Schiff arrested or announcing that he'll institute mandatory abortions in exchange for democrats stopping impeachment. Trump's working on it; I think by Thanksgiving we'll have a much better idea if he'll manage to shoot himself in the foot enough to get republican senators on board.

Trump has moved on from shooting himself on the foot. He is busy working his way up the legs and it is only a matter of time before he shoots his balls off.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/IanSams/status/1181899106299584513

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1181981425718964232

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1181971350602297344

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1181963082572189703

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

loving ghouls. Evil, corrupt monsters every last one of them.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Senate Republicans are all in at this point, they simply cannot vote to impeach... If things get way out of hand they will just quietly hope he loses 2020

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just in case it was clear, I don't approve of the New York Times running that opinion piece. Just responding to the person who commented about whether they were running similar articles for the other side with the closest that I could find.

"Opinion pieces" are a plague.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Dog Friday posted:

Senate Republicans are all in at this point, they simply cannot vote to impeach... If things get way out of hand they will just quietly hope he loses 2020

I want to know what happens in 2024 or 2028, do republicans put up a "trump like" figure or do they attempt to put someone less extreme

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I want to know what happens in 2024 or 2028, do republicans put up a "trump like" figure or do they attempt to put someone less extreme

i mean i assume trump just runs again

you can't really put the genie back in the bottle of everyone realizing the republican base will vote for the open racist over the coded racist though

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

it's the real question, tbh. who's the follow-up act. if they wanted a Trump 2, who would it be?

guy appears to be following the Obama playbook in a way that is genuinely to our advantage, insofar as his approach to building any kind of infrastructure to outlive him has been "apres moi, le deluge"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's the real question, tbh. who's the follow-up act. if they wanted a Trump 2, who would it be?

guy appears to be following the Obama playbook in a way that is genuinely to our advantage, insofar as his approach to building any kind of infrastructure to outlive him has been "apres moi, le deluge"

I have a feeling Trump Jr will run

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
In 2024 Republicans put up a Tom Cotton figure, probably Tom Cotton himself.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Matt Gaetz wins 2028 with Ben Shapiro as his running mate.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Either Trey Gowdy is so dumb he suddenly wants the worst lawyering job in the country, which is guaranteed to go badly for him and possibly get him disbarred, even though he has a long and extensive track record of saying poo poo (eg Benghazi) that will run directly counter to every argument he is now forced to make, further making this task Sisyphean,

OR (literally infinite small chance of this, I'm just trying to think of something smarter);

He's taking the job so he can get a look at all of the documents and then go "gee this is all clearly illegal" and then crime-fraud himself out of there and expose Trump because it would make him look good, kind of like Romney and Amash are trying to do.

I mean we all know Gowdy is dumb as gently caress so it's definitely #1, I'm just astounded at how far the definition of dumb has stretched for him personally. This is Louie Gohmert levels of dumb.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Plus, how much of his "infrastructure" is his personal twitter account? He's not going to turn that over to the party or let anyone else borrow it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

evilweasel posted:

i mean i assume trump just runs again

Do you really think fat man will be alive and not in a wheelchair in 2024

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve King - Iowan Confederate?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1181984174036705280?s=20
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1181374689593176064
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1181379349469175808
https://twitter.com/MontyBoa99/status/1181418191236583425
https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1181993667407630336

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
He allows their legislative agenda to work out as long as everything isn't gummed up by Democrats standing up for themselves so he either keeps running as is, or if he really does titanically poo poo the bed and get impeached they try to find someone that hits the same racism buttons but is smart enough to play ball.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
There's no shortage of fascists in the Republican party. What I'm not sure if they can replicate is someone with the same intense, vile charisma that Trump has for their world. They love him because he's performatively vulgar and cruel in a way that no other politician has ever been.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I don't know who's going to run after Trump, but I do know that lots of people are taking note of how much outright authoritarianism this administration has gotten away with despite being filled with the most incompetent people imaginable.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ershalim posted:

Is there an age limit where you aren't allowed to learn new things any more? There are plenty of 50-60 year old people in the US who have no concept that Bush ever did anything wrong. The people in this thread are generally better informed than the vast majority of any population of people. Most people have stuff in their lives that's way more important to them than the political structure of the country they live in -- let alone the ones of countries they don't. That's seriously frustrating when you need their help to get a political movement going via a general strike or public action, but they aren't bad people for not being involved in something that does its level best to exclude them from it.

KM's right in a practical sense, too. If you want people to change their behavior, you can't continue to punish them when they've done something you approve of, or why would anyone bother?

Has Jameela Jamil been "punished" in literally any way aside from being sorta mocked on loving twitter? If posting that I just figured out George Bush Jr was a shithead on twitter in 2019 and then being made fun of and then watching my critically acclaimed tv show tonight is the worst thing that happens to me today I'd call that a win for the day. I'm sure my day will be worse.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

There's no shortage of fascists in the Republican party. What I'm not sure if they can replicate is someone with the same intense, vile charisma that Trump has for their world. They love him because he's performatively vulgar and cruel in a way that no other politician has ever been.

Dan Crenshaw, probably. He's young, he loves the taste of fascist boot, and the right considers him their anti-AOC (even though he's a complete moron who can't hold a candle to her intellectually).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

eh

trump's appeal seems to boil down to two things. first, he's an open and proud bigot instead of a coded bigot, which meshes well with his base who is upset by their leaders trying to paper over their fervently held racist, sexist, et al beliefs. second, and this tends to get forgotten, trump ran against the usual republican economic platform. he completely abandoned that last part, but it was a big part of both his primary win and his general election win. the republican economic platform is hilariously unpopular even among republicans.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181991604493656064
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181995834369544198

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Has Jameela Jamil been "punished" in literally any way aside from being sorta mocked on loving twitter? If posting that I just figured out George Bush Jr was a shithead on twitter in 2019 and then being made fun of and then watching my critically acclaimed tv show tonight is the worst thing that happens to me today I'd call that a win for the day. I'm sure my day will be worse.

Can we not play the oppression Olympics, please? This is really loving gross.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

none of the other republicans have the apprentice.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

That's a hilarious opsec fail if it's true

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

eh

trump's appeal seems to boil down to two things. first, he's an open and proud bigot instead of a coded bigot, which meshes well with his base who is upset by their leaders trying to paper over their fervently held racist, sexist, et al beliefs. second, and this tends to get forgotten, trump ran against the usual republican economic platform. he completely abandoned that last part, but it was a big part of both his primary win and his general election win. the republican economic platform is hilariously unpopular even among republicans.

I feel like it will be harder for someone running against the economic platform to break through the weeding process that gets you a prominent place in the Republican national primary without an outside source of wealth or celebrity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/WilliamPecota/status/1181997349708734465?s=19

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

evilweasel posted:

eh

And his base is too stupid to realize that he turned around and stabbed them in the back on almost all of his economic proposals. The only thing he really did is try to gently caress over brown people, and the fact that his base still supports him shows that it wasn't really about the economy, stupid. The last election was a referendum on institutional racism and the good side lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SchrodingersCat posted:

And his base is too stupid to realize that he turned around and stabbed them in the back on almost all of his economic proposals. The only thing he really did is try to gently caress over brown people, and the fact that his base still supports him shows that it wasn't really about the economy, stupid. The last election was a referendum on institutional racism and the good side lost.

im not sure i agree. point 2 was a big source of his appeal to the people he swung from obama that put him over the top, and enough of those people seem to have swung back after he tried to blow up obamacare and then passed the tax cut.

remember, he is down quite a lot in the polls compared to election day 2016!