Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Grand Fromage posted:

So this is going to be one of those threads that's dumb as hell between episodes, I guess.
Haha you missed the discussion last season, eh? I was the crazy person, though, because of how much I was insisting that Sam Esmail had no idea what he was doing and was simply trying to stand on the shoulders of the king directors that made Season 1 the gold that it was.

Grand Fromage posted:

When it's over I hope he posts the original outline when it was just supposed to be a movie. I can't even imagine.
GOD me too. Seasons 2 and 3 were a poo poo show of a middle act but the fact that Season 1 was always Act 1 and Season 4 will be Act 3 gives me hope that it'll close out nicely. I wouldn't be opposed to them just making the damned movie with a completely separate cast, either. But then we'd lose Alf and that's just not acceptable.

Anyway, being down on Seasons 2 and 3 despite thinking Season 1 was Television Brilliance has thankfully not done anything to temper my expectations for Season 4. This premiere was 99% perfection. From killing off Portia Doubleday (they wrote her into a corner they seem to refuse to write themselves out of) to the magnificent use of Jake Busey (who I could now see getting an amazing leading dramatic role in a hit new series ala what True Detective did for Matthew McConaughey) to Dom's completely wrecked life and her new portly friend (I was hoping she'd be dark army and I was not disappointed in her use of the word "oval office") to the fantastic cinematography throughout the episode (if you forgot, I was the guy analyzing frame compositions in season 1) I really feel like they might stick the landing this series sorrowfully needed since it began losing its own plot in Season 2.

"But why 99%" you ask? Unfortunately, Sam Esmail has not emerged from his own anus. Turning around to reveal his self-insert, looking directly at the audience and saying "goodbye friend" (recall Elliot calls the audience "friend") before injecting Elliot with his yum yum juice was not something he's earned as a director or writer. As an end of the series? Sure. As an end of Season 1? Sure. But as the sole person who wrote and directed Seasons 2 and 3 into the (I believe) backroom copy wannabes of brilliance they were, he should not have shown his face at the premiere of the series finale. It reeks of self-importance and soured that final scene, only to be outdone by separating his Executive Producer credit from the rest of the credits. He may as well have said "goodbye Elliot, character of my hit TV show Mr. Robot, who I created and will now end." His appearance made me laugh at Elliot's death. But I laughed at Angela's death (because they gave up on her plotline) so what the gently caress do I know?

Thankfully, that was 1% of the episode, so I can mostly just focus on the amazingness of following Busey into his cab then out to Grand Central, Busey's Matrix-like escape scene inside Grand Central, Darlene's apartment one-shot (the cuts are much more clever and well done than the ones S2/3 had,) and grabbing Elliot from the honeypot apartment. Just fantastic shots all over the place. Hell, even if you take issue with Price going from a hardcore balls of steel character to a whimpering puddle of angry vase-dunking old man, his acting was still on-loving-point for his scene and I loved every second of it.

Honestly, all the show has to do is make White Rose's experiment matter and I'll forgive the silliness of an omniscient Dark Army, the flippant way the show kills off major characters, and the inexplicable Angela/White Rose scene from Season 2. I'm looking forward to it with fingers crossed!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Esmail wants to set the tone of the season from the start: This will be about revenge. There's nothing left, everyone is dead (Angela), hosed up (Darlene/Dom), or numb to ostensible success (Wellick).

It's setting up for a true final showdown arc, and ep1 shows he doesn't want to gently caress around.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Yeah, I agree with all of this. I didn't know that was Sam Esmail though, what a dork.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
A lot of words, but actually a really good post

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah, sorry, I get up my own rear end about this show because of how good the first season was and how ball-dropped the next two were. Hopefully I can keep going each episode and have some good analysis to bring with each one. We'll see.

What I failed to mention that's definitely worth noting is that despite the sorta wishy-washy way the show was going about making a point with season 2 and 3...

LuckySevens posted:

Esmail wants to set the tone of the season from the start: This will be about revenge.
...this is absolutely the case now. There is no ambiguity about what you're watching. There is no reason to have a huge twist anymore. If there is one this season, hopefully it's just Angela's death. This strong start is why I hope White Rose's experiment, her meeting with Angela, and anything and everything revolving around "alternate dimension" and "time travel" red herrings gets resolved ASAP. Esmail shot himself in the foot trying to outsmart viewers because it just made the show look dumb when it ended up resolving nothing in an interesting way. The sooner we get that bullshit out of the way, the sooner the show can emphasize what it's best at: Acting, Cinematography, Music, and hopefully Writing!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just wanted to second the whole "Jake Busey is great and deserves bigger roles" statement.

That was some of the best acting i've seen from him in a long time the other night and I hope he gets bigger roles as a result.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

This is when Busey went from "Shasta McNasty" to "Put this guy in True Detective"
https://i.imgur.com/MS5JxFa.mp4

Edit: While trying to find other stuff that's giffable, I've come to the realization that the cinematographer (I'm not going to immediately credit Esmail for that until I've done my research) Tod Campbell managed to do a long cut that I hadn't initially noticed. AKA: A subtle long cut. Subtle long cuts are really hard to do well and I'm kinda astonished that we're getting back to this good poo poo. (Tod Campbell did cinematography for the entire series except for S1E1, which was Tim Ives.)

Edit 2: While it's still salient that Sam Esmail said "Goodbye friend" to the camera at the end of episode 4.01, do note that episode 1.01 is titled "eps1.0_hellofriend.mov"

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 9, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think that Whiterose’s super sci-fi project isn’t time travel as some have speculated, but is in fact a technological singularity, i.e. she’s building a superintelligent AI. That’s how she can “bring back” Angela’s mother, through an AI simulation. In the final episode Elliot will be confronted with the “real” Mr Robot, a simulation of his father.

To be honest, I’m basing a great deal of this on the fact that the letter fallen off the sign in the Allsafe office makes it look like it says “AI safe”.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I’ve always assumed the goal was some sort of trans human singularity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really don't know. They've hinted at time travel a whole lot, but I don't think the time travel/parallel universes theories make sense. Just suddenly springing that on what has otherwise been a grounded, real-world show right at the end is... risky. If it had always been a near-future show with sci-fi elements in it, it'd be one thing.

I think building a general AI is just real world enough that could work, though.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Comrade Fakename posted:

To be honest, I’m basing a great deal of this on the fact that the letter fallen off the sign in the Allsafe office makes it look like it says “AI safe”.

If you're referring to the scene with Elliot and Mr. Robot in the old All Safe office, 4 letters were missing from the sign on the wall, and when you rearrange them they spell CLUB. Not sure if that will mean anything.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Grand Fromage posted:

When it's over I hope he posts the original outline when it was just supposed to be a movie. I can't even imagine.

Yeah, I'd love to see it the concept with no fat.

Season 1 was excellent.

Season 2/3 were great -- felt a bit padded.

Season 4 premiere was excellent.

Esmail's strength is not in spinning his wheels.

fake edit:

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

cochise posted:

To be sure.... that was Sam's character applying the narcan AFTER he doped Elliot up and the fake credits rolled, right? If so I guess Elliot's last second plea worked?

e: and someone needs to get that single frame of Angela that was flashed Fight Club style.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Wasn't the first episode of the show called "Hello friend"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krazyface posted:

Wasn't the first episode of the show called "Hello friend"?

DaveKap posted:

Edit 2: While it's still salient that Sam Esmail said "Goodbye friend" to the camera at the end of episode 4.01, do note that episode 1.01 is titled "eps1.0_hellofriend.mov"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Mr. Robot - S04E02 - Payment Required - Elliot + Darlene come together. Dom gets dark army vibes. Price has answers.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 14, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Here we loving go!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Time for more

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow gently caress. But what is Zhang's machine under the power plant?????

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww, I got spoiled having no commercials last week :( haha

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rageaholic posted:

Aww, I got spoiled having no commercials last week :( haha

I went "Noooooo" as soon as they started.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
gently caress Dom what are you doing??

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's Janice!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Condolences" snowman is awesome

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Haha no kidding. Caught me totally off guard

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Not sure what the best way is to describe the humor in this show, but I love it. :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, those connections :stare:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow the Dark Army is legion

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The Christmas setting really adds something to how bleak everything has been so far

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I wonder if the post credits scene in Season 1 was a Deus Group meeting?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
OH poo poo. She told Mr. Robot about Vera and he didn't tell Elliot!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Does Elliot have a 3rd personality? 4th? :magical:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow that was quite a thing to throw out there

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Uhhh, I have no idea who the third personality could be.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Uhhh, I have no idea who the third personality could be.

The audience? :thunk:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

cochise posted:

The audience? :thunk:

That's the only thing I can think of, but we somehow told Darlene to not worry about Vera? :psyduck:

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

That's the only thing I can think of, but we somehow told Darlene to not worry about Vera? :psyduck:

Chaos/comedy option: Tyrell is the third.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

cochise posted:

Chaos/comedy option: Tyrell is the third.

I mean, the final scene of this episode took place in the room from the beginning of season 1 where Tyrell offers Elliot a job.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
So Price had Eliot killed but changed his mind in the last episode? Or did he make a show of it for Whiterose and come in after he recorded his fake death to revive him? Also are the mom and kid Eliot actually existing in this reality? I wonder what corporate building they were at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I mean, the final scene of this episode took place in the room from the beginning of season 1 where Tyrell offers Elliot a job.

Oh well that answers the last part of my question