Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This post will contain heavy spoilers for the show, if you haven't watched it before I highly recommend you do!

Who is the principal cast?

Elliot Alderson / Mr. Robot - Elliot Alderson is a talented computer hacker and cyber security expert. He also has crippling depression and anxiety. He prefers to be by himself on his computer. But Elliot has an alternate personality...Mr. Robot. Mr. Robot is everything that Elliot isn't. He's a leader, he's decisive and he doesn't take peoples poo poo. Elliot is played by the wonderfully talented Rami Malek and Mr. Robot is played by Christian Slater.

In Season 1 Elliot is recruited by Mr. Robot into F-Society. Together with the rest of F-Society they engineer a hack to encrypt the data of the largest consumer corporation in the world...E-Corp (or as Elliot calls them Evil Corp). They break into one of the most secure facilities in the world and using a Raspberry Pi they destroy all of E-Corps tape backups. Meanwhile Elliot is also dealing with his drug dealer Shayla and her supplier Fernando Vera. Elliot hacks into Vera's drug ring and gives all the info he discovers to the Police. Vera figures out who dimed him out and then kidnaps Shayla, forcing Elliot to break him out of Jail. Unbeknownst to Elliot, Vera's crew killed Shayla at the start of the day. Elliot then travels to his childhood home where he finally realizes that Mr. Robot isn't real, he then starts the E-Corp hack, blacks out for 3 days, and wakes up to realize that the worlds economy has been crippled. The E-Corp hack is commonly called "The 5/9 hack" by the media.

In Season 2 Elliot spends the first third of the season "with his Mother." He engages in a strict regimen of lunch, cleaning, watching basketball, and going to a church group. He does this all to keep Mr. Robot from taking over. While "at his Mothers" house we meet 2 new characters Leon and Ray. Ray has computer problems and he realizes that only Elliot can help him. Due to his regimen he does not want to go near a computer and declines to help Ray. Finally Elliot realizes that in order to get access to a computer he needs to help Ray. He discovers that Ray has a side business of running a Silk Road-esque website. Elliot eventually dimes Ray out to the police who take him and his website down. While at a basketball game with Leon a group of White Supremacists threaten Elliot due to the bitcoin they lost. Later the gang attacks Elliot but they are all killed by Leon. It turns out that Leon has been working for a Chinese hacking group called the Dark Army. After being released early from prison Elliot uses a lucid dreaming techniques to talk to Mr. Robot and learn what the mysterious Stage 2 of the E-Corp hack is. We find out that Stage 2 consists of blowing up an E-Corp building that is going to have all the paper records. We also finally get the return of Tyrell Wellick who reveals what happened on the night of the original E-Corp hack. The season ends with Tyrell shooting Elliot to prevent him from stopping Stage 2 (think Fight Club when Project Mayhem turns on Jack when he tries to stop them).

During Season 3 Elliot works against Mr. Robot to try to prevent Stage 2 from occurring and in fact reverse the entire 5/9 hack in general. He convinces Angela to get him a job at E-Corp where he works on the data recovery team. He gives presentations about how the paper records should be scanned at their current locations, he fakes shipping manifestos, basically whatever he can do to prevent stage 2 from occurring. It's also revealed that Mr. Robot continues to take over Elliot's body to work with Tyrell and Angela on Stage 2. On the day of the Stage 2 hack Elliot gets to work only to find out he was fired. In one of the most amazing episodes of the entire series we see what happens on the day of Stage 2. The Dark Army has discovered Elliot's actions and instead of blowing up one building, the Dark Army blows up 71 buildings around America killing 1000's. Elliot then decides to get revenge against the Dark Army. He engineers a hack against them and owns their servers.

Tyrell Wellick - Tyrell is the Ying to Elliot's Yang. He's ambitious and wants to become the youngest CTO in E-Corp history. Tyrell is also a talented hacker as well as a loving sociopath.

In Season 1 Tyrell is the assistant CTO of E-Corp. He impresses Elliot with the fact that he uses Linux instead of Windows. Tyrell is equally impressed with Elliot and attempts to recruit him into E-Corp but Elliot refuses. Tyrell is married to a woman named Joanne who is pregnant with their child. They have a pretty hardcore BDSM relationship. Tyrell also dabbles in beating the poo poo out of homeless people for fun and money. The current CTO Terry Colby is implicated in a hack that sees him go to jail. Instead of getting his wish and getting named new CTO he is instead passed over for a person named Scott Knowles. Enraged by this Joanne and Tyrell engineer a plot to take down the Knowles family and it spins quickly out of control. Tyrell makes a few passes at Scott's wife Sharon. Sharon playfully accepts the advances, but then immediately tells her husband. Scott uses this information to humiliate Tyrell at E-Corp. Later at a party celebrating Scott's promotion, Tyrell and Sharon leave to go to the roof of E-Corp to have sex. Tyrell kills Sharon by strangling her. Pretty quickly the police name Tyrell the main suspect and Tyrell flees. The penultimate episode of season 1 ends with Elliot reaching for a gun while Tyrell starts the E-Corp hack. In the season 1 finale Elliot goes to find Tyrell, bumps into Joanna and finds out that Tyrell has been missing.

In Season 2 Tyrell is the most wanted man in America. He's blamed for starting F-Society, he's blamed for Sharons murder, and is pretty much the biggest boogie man in existence. Mr. Robot tells Elliot that Tyrell is dead and that Elliot killed him. Tyrell finally reveals himself at the end of the season and we find out that Tyrell and Mr. Robot have been arranging Stage 2 of the E-Corp hack which is to blow up the building storing all the paper records for E-Corp.

After a quite season 2 Tyrell is front and center during Season 3. He spends most of the season working with Mr. Robot on the Stage 2 hack. We also get a great episode where we see what exactly he had been doing all of season 2. Tyrell met up with the Dark Army fixer Irving who took him to a secluded farm to keep him protected while the heat was on him. Eventually Tyrell has enough of farm life and tries to get back to New York only to be arrested by local cops. We find out that FBI Agent Santiago is also a Dark Army informant when he kills the local Cop and rescues Tyrell. Tyrell's story is further when he is cleared of all charges relating to the murder of Sharon Knowles as well as his involvement in 5/9. The latter is achieved when Leon (another Dark Army fixer) frames Trenton and Mobley for the 5/9 hack and implicates them as Iranian agents. Tyrell is then hired back to E-Corp where he finally achieves his goal of being CTO, the position is purely ceremonial though and he doesn't have any real power.

Darlene Anderson - Elliot's sister who is also a member of f-society. In Season 1 and 2 she is onboard for the hack and is thrilled by what they have done. As season 2 progress's she begins to feel remorse especially after Cisco (Darlene's boyfriend) is murdered by the Dark Army. In season 3 she flips on her brother and starts to work for the FBI.

Angela Moss - Elliot's childhood friend. In Season 1 she works with Elliot at a company called Allsafe. Angela's douchebag boyfriend is given a CD by Cisco and it turns out that it's malware. Angela is threatened to have compromising pictures released of her if she does not infect Allsafes servers with the cd. Angela infects Allsafe and this is instrumental in the original E-Corp hack. In Season 2 Angela works for E-Corp, but is secretly working against them. Angela begins to get depressed and anxious over her role in the 5/9 hack. She is kidnapped by the Dark Army who threaten her if she goes to the police. Angela and Elliot have a common bond, E-Corp was responsible for death of the their parents (Angelas Mom and Elliots Dad (aka Mr. Robot)). In season 3 Angela continues to work at E-Corp while growing closer to the E-Corp CEO Phillip Price. Angela feels a lot of remorse after Stage 2 (since she was a critical actor in the hack). A chance encounter with Whiterose (or is it chance?) begins to drive Angela down a path of despair. She talks about parallel universe's and dreams of a universe where her and Elliot's parents are all still alive, where the hacks never took place. Season 3 ends with Angela discovering that the man she thought was her Dad isn't and that E-Corp CEO Phillip Price is.

Dark Army - The Dark Army is a Chinese hacker group. They are good at what they do and they hack for everyone. They are merciless and will kill to keep themselves protected. The Dark Army is just as important (if not more so) than F-Society. They are lead by the enigmatic (and time obsessed) Whiterose. Whiterose is also the Chinese Minister of State Security Zhi Zhang. Zhi Zang is a transgender women and is played by BD Wong. Whiterose to me is one of the most compelling characters in the series. The Dark Army have their fingers in every pie. If something is illegal the Dark Army are involved. One of the hallmarks of the Dark Army is they would rather commit suicide than be captured.

There are many many characters in the show that make it unique. I have been watching this show since the first episode and I'm very sad it's about to be over. The success of Bohemian Rhapsody has pushed this season back substantially but I'm excited for all of Rami Maleks success.

All of Mr. Robot is on Amazon Prime Video. You can also get it on Youtube and on USA's streaming site. The season 3 finale is one of the strongest episodes of TV I've ever watched. Again I'm really excited for season 4. This is the first time I've done an OP for a TV series so please go easy on me!

What do we think will happen in Season 4?
Is there going to be time travel / alternate dimensions?
What does the return of Vera mean for Elliot?
Who is your favorite character and why is it Dom Dipierro?

RAINN - National Sexual Assault Hotline - (800) 656-4673

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Reserved for Season 4 stuff as it comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJDmJeydt-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIOApqA7qJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqzy1Ey1Zbw

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 21, 2019

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I rewatched the series in preparation for season 4, can't loving wait. Sad though its the last season, but that only excites me that Esmail has a complete story in mind and it'll get a proper ending.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I really believe that Mr. Robot is probably one of the most under appreciated dramas right now. The show is always compelling, and even if you aren't into computers or hacking the show does a good job of explaining whats actually happening (in terms of the hacking) that it totally makes sense.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

SalTheBard posted:

Zhi Zang is a transgender women and is played by BD Wong (from Lost fame).
You mean :lost: the TV series? Was he in that?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Aardark posted:

You mean :lost: the TV series? Was he in that?

Wow gently caress....I swear to God I thought he was in Lost but apparently he wasn't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought season 3 really improved on season 2 but the one thing I was disappointed by was how sidelined Angela felt. I thought her storyline was one of the best things about season 2, the way she was "hacking" into E-Corp in an entirely different way to Elliot/F-Society etc and that largely got abandoned in season 3 for her to just go off the deep-end buying into Whiterose's insane fantasy.

I hope Bobby Cannavale and Grace Gummer are both back this season, I really dug them as additions to the cast, and I basically love Bobby Cannavale in everything I have ever seen him in.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

I thought season 3 really improved on season 2 but the one thing I was disappointed by was how sidelined Angela felt. I thought her storyline was one of the best things about season 2, the way she was "hacking" into E-Corp in an entirely different way to Elliot/F-Society etc and that largely got abandoned in season 3 for her to just go off the deep-end buying into Whiterose's insane fantasy.

I hope Bobby Cannavale and Grace Gummer are both back this season, I really dug them as additions to the cast, and I basically love Bobby Cannavale in everything I have ever seen him in.

Even though I didn't mention her in the OP Dom is one of my favorite characters in the entire series. She's basically Elliot if Elliot was a "good guy".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jerusalem posted:

Even Vinyl?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I somehow never saw Vinyl, it was one of those shows that I kept thinking,"Oh that sounds like something I should definitely watch..." and then I didn't for whatever reason and then it suddenly got canceled. Same deal with Luck.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was better than the internet would have you think but the Deuce is so much better it's kinda unreal.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Nice OP, thanks for the effort! I'd just like to say, though, that reducing to whatever Eliot has to Depression/Anxiety rings untrue. As somebody with similar mental disabilities as well as with friends in pharmacology, our thinking is more along the lines of paranoid schizophrenia for him, or some other dissociative disorder. He seems lucid at times, but as soon as he has to be in public in city surrounded by people, he loses his loving marbles.

Just saying. Good OP. I can't wait to see how this all ends.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Propaganda Machine posted:

Nice OP, thanks for the effort! I'd just like to say, though, that reducing to whatever Eliot has to Depression/Anxiety rings untrue. As somebody with similar mental disabilities as well as with friends in pharmacology, our thinking is more along the lines of paranoid schizophrenia for him, or some other dissociative disorder. He seems lucid at times, but as soon as he has to be in public in city surrounded by people, he loses his loving marbles.

Just saying. Good OP. I can't wait to see how this all ends.

Sorry! I went with Wikipedias description. I think yours is probably more accurate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SalTheBard posted:

Sorry! I went with Wikipedias description. I think yours is probably more accurate.

Dude, no worries! I think the question of Elliot is central to the series, so I think it deserves discussion.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Also that volume 6 soundtrack is finally coming out soon. Its only been 2 years and all/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Back on Oct 6

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Escobarbarian posted:

Back on Oct 6

:siren:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
merry christmas, ya filthy animals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJCWRT5fYc

edit: a christmas-themed season looks pretty awesome

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh poo poo I didn't know it was coming back so soon, I thought it was next year. Better get on my rewatch.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just watched the entire show in a couple of weeks. There's one thing I don't understand; maybe it was explained and I missed it:

In the penultimate episode of season three, it switches back and forth between Elliot with Darlene, and Mr. Robot with Tyrell. Surely I'm not the only one who sees the issue there? How is he in two places simultaneously? Elliot is obviously an extreme example of an unreliable narrator, but this doesn't seem like one of his fantasies.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Huh. Interesting, I had forgotten about that. Maybe Tyrell is seeing things too! I'm going to watch that episode tonight now.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
There's some type of arg going on now. I found it via this reddit post, https://old.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/dd3ctm/have_you_checked_out_my_site_yet_timing_is/.

ARG website is https://www.esmailcorp.com/

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

...! posted:

Just watched the entire show in a couple of weeks. There's one thing I don't understand; maybe it was explained and I missed it:

In the penultimate episode of season three, it switches back and forth between Elliot with Darlene, and Mr. Robot with Tyrell. Surely I'm not the only one who sees the issue there? How is he in two places simultaneously? Elliot is obviously an extreme example of an unreliable narrator, but this doesn't seem like one of his fantasies.

Mr. Robot with Tyrell was a flashback to the night before, leading up to Mr. Robot wring "they own the FBI" on the mirror. Everything with Elliot was after.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone has chronology questions, I made a timeline of the first three seasons that I'm pretty happy with.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mameluke posted:

If anyone has chronology questions, I made a timeline of the first three seasons that I'm pretty happy with.

Holy poo poo thats amazing

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't wait for this to come back tomorrow night :dance:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait what happened in 1884

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

100 years later orwell would write 1984.. makes you think!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm so conflicted right now because Chiefs have the late game, but then again MR loving ROBOT for the first time in almost 2 years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never actually used Amazon Prime streaming before, does the episode go up at the same time as broadcast or is there a delay?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm going to assume delay. I know it's delayed on USA's streaming site.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Been looking toward to this ever since Han Solo has come home.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Welp, we'll see if Amazon or... other options get it up first.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
25 Minutes!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SalTheBard posted:

25 Minutes!!!
NOW!!!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Liked the transition from recap to new poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow holy gently caress did not see that coming

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is a hell of a premiere and we're not even 10 minutes in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Oh gently caress they are going to poke the beast. That's not very smart.