Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Randaconda posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49976037

FBI has confirmed Samuel Little as the most prolific serial killer in US history

One murder is too many, but that is a lot of murders. Jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I really want to believe he's not just another Henry Lee Lucas and that they're actually doing more than perfunctory pairing to close out cases.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Azathoth posted:

I really want to believe he's not just another Henry Lee Lucas and that they're actually doing more than perfunctory pairing to close out cases.

fat chance

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The bit that gets me is this:

The BBC posted:

A former competitive boxer, Little would knock his victims out with punches before strangling them - meaning that there were not always "obvious signs" that the person had been brutally murdered.
Some of these deaths were never investigated by the FBI as a result, and many deaths were incorrectly determined to be overdoses or accidental. Some bodies have never been found, the agency said.

Uh... I dunno, that strikes me as exactly the kind of thing that'd leave obvious signs of someone being brutally murdered, but then again, I'm not a boxer/forensics expert.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My guess is that people expected murders to be a horrible bloody mess involving knives, guns, or axes or whatever. If it's just a punch, a strangle, and a body it might look more like an accident or a fight gone wrong. At the same time like has been said about serial killers before that was before modern forensic tools and communication existed. It's likely nobody saw the pattern.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Oct 9, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Strangling leaves pretty obvious marks on a person's throat no matter how you do it. If I had to guess, and I'm no murderologist here, but if he knocks them out with one punch and then strangles them, maybe he could use a lot less force to choke them and not leave those marks since they wouldn't be struggling?

Still seems far fetched and rings more of "eh, of course this prostitute had a bruise on her chin and stopped breathing, classic OD case" so they wouldn't have another homicide to investigate.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sadly it was probably a case of dead street worker, call it an OD or suicide so she doesn't mess up our stats.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Another article on him: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/07/samuel-little-serial-killer-fbi-murders

quote:

Cunningham’s body was found by a pair of hunters on the afternoon of 18 January 1975. She was bruised and nude from the waist down, her pantyhose and girdle bunched around her knees. Her purse and some of her jewelry were missing. Her body appeared to have been dragged into the woods and dumped behind a pine tree, authorities said at the time.

Despite that evidence, detectives at the time attributed Cunningham’s death to natural causes within a day of the discovery.

"This lady sure beat and raped the hell out of herself before dragging herself into the woods."

Sometimes the answer is as simple as "racist cops don't care about black women being murdered." That's it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LPotL introduced me to the term "the less dead" A hooker is less dead than a pretty white college student, and the police don't give a poo poo.

:smith:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I saw a news story about him and he said that he killed prostitutes and drug addicts because they wouldn't be missed. :smith: I wonder how many people do the same thing but we'll never find out about it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm suddenly reminded of the most horrifying part of LPotL's episode on black serial killers. They pointed out that the reason there seemed to be fewer black serial killers was that they were probably killing black sex workers or other "lesser dead" and no one cared to even look when they went missing. Supposedly there were a number of cases were communities noted a spike in missing persons that was just never investigated because of racist cops not giving a drat.

Also probably a little more believable than Henry Lee Lucas's stories. These are pretty much in line with Gary Ridgway's methods.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

packetmantis posted:

I saw a news story about him and he said that he killed prostitutes and drug addicts because they wouldn't be missed. :smith: I wonder how many people do the same thing but we'll never find out about it.

A lot. A lot of them. Too many. Dozens. hundreds.

We will never find out.

Robert Picton had the RCMP at his ranch during his killing spree wandering around, due to credible reports he was murdering first nations prostitutes and turning them into sausage to sell.
They shook his hand and wandered off, their dicks hard at the thought of dead first nations prostitutes, and Robert Picton could continue his serial killing for years.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of the most horrifying part of LPotL's episode on black serial killers. They pointed out that the reason there seemed to be fewer black serial killers was that they were probably killing black sex workers or other "lesser dead" and no one cared to even look when they went missing. Supposedly there were a number of cases were communities noted a spike in missing persons that was just never investigated because of racist cops not giving a drat.

Also probably a little more believable than Henry Lee Lucas's stories. These are pretty much in line with Gary Ridgway's methods.

Very recently, like within the past year, there was a substantial spike in gay men going missing in Toronto.
The toronto police didn't do anything.
There was a huge pressure from the queer community to do something about it. Finally, a few weeks after the cops were forced to do something, a serial killer that was murdering gay men in Toronto was captured.

The Toronto police then had a very normal emotional breakdown at not being allowed to be at Pride in uniform.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, I would think serial killing is like other sex crimes, where it's pretty consistent across ethnic and class lines.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So recently a struggling childrens author murder suicided his wife and three kids with a gun. He sold some self published kids books like Sam the Once Sad Caterpillar. A lot of his books had to do with overcoming sadness. Anyway, while this is sad and all, i started to really look at the picture they were displaying for him in articles, and i am pretty sure he is doing the sarcastic blowjob motion in all of them:

https://toofab.com/2019/10/08/childrens-author-found-dead-with-wife-and-three-kids-in-apparent-murder-suicide/

Its horrible what happened, but who really picked that particular pic of him, in this day and age of camera phones everywhere everyday. Get your headshots ready for the news in advance or else this kind of thing will happen.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tashilicious posted:

A lot. A lot of them. Too many. Dozens. hundreds.

We will never find out.

Robert Picton had the RCMP at his ranch during his killing spree wandering around, due to credible reports he was murdering first nations prostitutes and turning them into sausage to sell.
They shook his hand and wandered off, their dicks hard at the thought of dead first nations prostitutes, and Robert Picton could continue his serial killing for years.

Two cops found one of Dalmher’s victims drugged, disorientated and bleeding from his head an anus. He claimed he had been drugged and raped, but just then Dalmher showed up and convinced them that they were a couple and just had a fight. They took him to Dalhmer’s apartment where he had 2 bodies dissolving in barrels in his room and several body parts in his fridge. The cops just dropped the kid off and left where he was subsequently killed.

Both cops were suspended , but got reinstated with full back pay. One of them was even elected president of the police union.

Cops don’t give a duck about anything other than maintaining their own power and enriching themselves at the public’s expense.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

packetmantis posted:

Minority, drug addicted sex workers is the police not giving a poo poo hat trick. It's absolutely loving appalling how little police care and how so many of these people would have been caught so much sooner if only they could bring themselves to, you know, protect and serve the people in their community.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Forensic Files had a case from the St. Louis area about dead sex workers turning up. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch did a big story on it, which led to the killer openly taunting the paper by sending a letter with a map to a victim's body. Turns out police didn't know about that particular body.

It was a black serial killer who ended up committing suicide in prison. He bragged of having a body count higher than reported, but it doesn't look like the authorities put much effort into finding them.

In a similar "lesser persons" case on Forensic Files, a farmer (also in Missouri!) would hire the local homeless to bid on cattle as part of a bad checks scheme. He'd take the men to the bank and open a checking account, then murder the men before the checks bounced. One of the men escaped and later told police. Police found a few bodies and a list of men the farmer's wife kept that worked for them. There were more men on the list than bodies were found, but police just pretty much shrugged and said they figured the bodies were somewhere on the farmer's land. They weren't looking for them.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Original link is dead but years ago I read an article titled The One Crime the Media Won't Blame on Black Men. It's dead now but here's a mostly-paywalled journal article discussing the same thing:

quote:

The existence of African American serial killers is a fact that appears to have escaped the attention of the American public. Previous research has identified 90 black serial killers beginning in 1945, yet their notoriety and celebrity are absent from America's popular cultural landscape. Despite the fact that numerous television shows, news reports and films address serial murder in fictional and non‐fictional portrayals, there remains a dearth of information and portrayals regarding black serial killers. This is an interesting conundrum. The media show little reticence in portraying black males as low‐level criminals, but rarely portray them as serial killers. This article suggests that the unquestioned ethnocentric profile of the serial killer as a white male in the US was created by the FBI, and subsequent media portrayals have reinforced this myth. Consequently, the predominant media portrayals of serial murderers are white male perpetrators.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In early 80's L.A., there was such a big problem with black prostitutes going missing/turning up murdered that the community had to get a whole social movement going just to shame the cops into investigating. They eventually gave in and begrudgingly opened an investigation in late 1985.

Like 20 years later Lonnie Franklin(The Grim Sleeper) was arrested for a bunch of murders during that time and he was basically just bringing prostitutes back to his place(in full view of witnesses) and murdering them. Nothing complicated about it, but he was able to be that brazen for many years just because nobody was really looking all that hard for the killer. In fact, the name "Grim Sleeper" refers to a long period of time where Franklin was thought to have stopped killing but really that's a very generous read of the situation considering how easily he was able to stay under the radar when he WAS killing. It's likely he never stopped but that the cops just didn't get serious about making an arrest in the case until the early 2000s.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You'd think the media would jump all over black serial killers. Then again that would involve wanting to report actual news and not just spit out 5 minute blurbs between weather and sports segments.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

You'd think the media would jump all over black serial killers. Then again that would involve wanting to report actual news and not just spit out 5 minute blurbs between weather and sports segments.

One of the reasons for this trend is the fact that, long ago, FBI profilers decided that serial killers were all intelligent and charming, which are qualities racists refuse to attribute to black men.

They also aren't real qualities of serial killers as a group, but in the popular imagination they are. Frankly, our society "likes" serial killers in a way it doesn't like, say, gang members. We think of them as real-life supervillains and treat them as pseudo-celebrities. And that rarified level of notoriety is very often reserved for white people.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I hate this trope, the invincible quasi-superhero serial killer. Seriously, what the gently caress? How is that okay??

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

In early 80's L.A., there was such a big problem with black prostitutes going missing/turning up murdered that the community had to get a whole social movement going just to shame the cops into investigating. They eventually gave in and begrudgingly opened an investigation in late 1985.

Like 20 years later Lonnie Franklin(The Grim Sleeper) was arrested for a bunch of murders during that time and he was basically just bringing prostitutes back to his place(in full view of witnesses) and murdering them. Nothing complicated about it, but he was able to be that brazen for many years just because nobody was really looking all that hard for the killer. In fact, the name "Grim Sleeper" refers to a long period of time where Franklin was thought to have stopped killing but really that's a very generous read of the situation considering how easily he was able to stay under the radar when he WAS killing. It's likely he never stopped but that the cops just didn't get serious about making an arrest in the case until the early 2000s.

If memory serves, there was a point where there were at least three different serial killers in this area targeting the same population as Franklin.

Same goes for Willie Pickton. There was another serial killer that was caught years before Pickton who was killing the same population, and I'd be shocked if there weren't more that simply weren't identified.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

showbiz_liz posted:

One of the reasons for this trend is the fact that, long ago, FBI profilers decided that serial killers were all intelligent and charming, which are qualities racists refuse to attribute to black men.

Honestly I think Thomas Harris and Anthony Hopkins did more to cement that idea in the public consciousness than any of the actual profilers. If not for the real life/fiction combo of Ted Bundy and Hannibal Lecter, I think the idea of the serial killer would be much different than it is today. But the Hopkins character and the real life Bundy kinda overtook the whole concept and defined it based on that one specific personality type.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/JohnDoe78359022/status/1181927926771650562

:whitewater:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

I hate this trope, the invincible quasi-superhero serial killer. Seriously, what the gently caress? How is that okay??

As far as I know, that perception actually began with the FBI itself and was popularized by the media, with The Silence of the Lambs as a major influence. (Nowadays the FBI acknowledges that it's false, but that hasn't trickled out into popular consciousness or to most local police departments.)

It's also important to remember the context: in the 70s and 80s, serial killings were a lot more common than they are today, and people were desperate to make sense of them. They wanted an explanation for why a person would do such a thing, and I think mentally transforming them into something superhuman was a way of doing that.

showbiz_liz has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Oct 9, 2019

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'd also toss Richard Ramirez, the Not-So-Original Night Stalker, into that mix. He's the prototype of the unrepentant evil monster serial killer.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I wonder if that's related to Ronan Farrow's new book. That poo poo has been all over the news today but mostly targeted at Matt Lauer and Harvey Weinstein.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

aphid_licker posted:

people like monsters. now that all the vampires are too sexy and there are no more cryptids or aliens, we have to turn to serial killers or, since they are passe, mass shooters as objects of morbid fascination

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

I'd also toss Richard Ramirez, the Not-So-Original Night Stalker, into that mix. He's the prototype of the unrepentant evil monster serial killer.

Unrepentant, sure. But he was very disorganized. Not the kind of meticulous planning of BTK or the personality that allowed Bundy to lure women away from safety. Hannibal Lecter is basically just an amalgam of all those elements that can make a serial killer not just extremely dangerous but also alluring. There really isn't one person you can point to and say that he fits the Hannibal Lecter profile because really he's a very stylized character that has no equivalent in real life. But Silence of the Lambs was such a well made film that people absorbed that character into the public consciousness as like the prototypical serial killer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Basebf555 posted:

Unrepentant, sure. But he was very disorganized. Not the kind of meticulous planning of BTK or the personality that allowed Bundy to lure women away from safety. Hannibal Lecter is basically just an amalgam of all those elements that can make a serial killer not just extremely dangerous but also alluring. There really isn't one person you can point to and say that he fits the Hannibal Lecter profile because really he's a very stylized character that has no equivalent in real life. But Silence of the Lambs was such a well made film that people absorbed that character into the public consciousness as like the prototypical serial killer.

IIRC Buffalo Bill was an amalgam of about six different serial killers, including Ed Kemper. Kemper isn't exactly what I'd consider "charming" per se, but he's definitely intelligent.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IIRC, he was based partially on Bundy(arm in a cast), Ed Gein(skin suits) and Gary Heidnik(women kept in the basement).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Randaconda posted:

IIRC, he was based partially on Bundy(arm in a cast), Ed Gein(skin suits) and Gary Heidnik(women kept in the basement).

Yeah, I posted that and went to fact check. Here's what wiki says:

-Jerry Brudos, who dressed up in his victims' clothing and kept their shoes.

-Ed Gein, who fashioned trophies and keepsakes from the bones and skin of corpses he dug up at cemeteries. He also made a female skin suit and skin masks.

-Ted Bundy, who pretended to be injured (using an arm-brace or crutches) as a ploy to ask his victims for help. When they helped him, he incapacitated and killed them.

-Gary M. Heidnik, who kidnapped and tortured six women and held them prisoner as sex slaves.

-Edmund Kemper, who, like Gumb, killed his grandparents as a teenager "just to see what it felt like."

-Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer (still unidentified at the time of the novel's writing), who, like Gumb, dumped women's bodies in rivers and inserted foreign objects into their corpses.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Harris spent a lot of time with the BSU and so he knew about all those cases in detail and so he just cherrypicked the most sensational elements to create his characters. But what works in a fictional thriller obviously isn't always going to reflect reality. So in real life you've got plenty of killers who were intelligent, but maybe had poor social skills. Or they were charismatic but too dumb(or mentally ill) to think far enough ahead to plan very much.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Oh, I'm not saying there's any of Ramirez in Lecter, but instead that he represents the opposite end of the spectrum in popular consciousness.

Ramirez is the stereotype of the bloodthirsty maniac who terrorizes a community and can't/won't stop killing, and only does so for the thrill of being evil. The actual truth doesn't neatly match up against that perception, but that's not really the point.

Just like the public thinks of BTK planning type killers as going to methodically stalk and murder and can't be stopped by vigilance because they're impossibly patient and methodical, Ramirez is the killer that can't be guarded against because he's absolutely random and so brazen that no one sees him coming until it's too late.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Wasn't Lecter partially based on some doctor Harris had interiewed years before writing the books?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
BTK killers are too patient to be stopped by vigilance. You have to pinky swear that you have no way of tracing them and break your pinky promise.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

BTK killers are too patient to be stopped by vigilance. You have to pinky swear that you have no way of tracing them and break your pinky promise.

John Douglas's book about BTK is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

cinni posted:

Its horrible what happened, but who really picked that particular pic of him, in this day and age of camera phones everywhere everyday. Get your headshots ready for the news in advance or else this kind of thing will happen.

This reminded me of that kerfuffle a few years back where a black man suspected of a crime had his picture on the news. He was shirtless and maybe something else, but it was argued that the picture had been chosen to prejudice the public against him, and surely there were more neutral photos to use. His Facebook profile pic was him in a hoodie, mean-mugging, pointing a gun at the camera.

I don’t remember the man’s name, so I’m having difficulty finding the two pictures. Does anyone else remember this?