Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
well, except for gunpowder, dynamite, vx gas, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

redleader posted:

you're gonna try to run a (small) industrial organic chemistry operation to make medicines when food is going to be a rare and precious commodity? curious as to how you think the chemical supply chain is going to stick around

Well I can either try to pull that off or certainly die, so excuse me if I take my chances

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

redleader posted:

you're gonna try to run a (small) industrial organic chemistry operation to make medicines when food is going to be a rare and precious commodity? curious as to how you think the chemical supply chain is going to stick around
obviously, maintaining a local trade of whatever raw materials you need is going to be important. for herbal stuff (which will end up replacing antibiotics and pain relief for most patients, just because those will become so expensive) that should be easy. for something like lithium, it may be more difficult. in that case you would have to think about who else in your area might be interested in a steady supply of lithium, and how you would approach them

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

as soon as diy medicine becomes more in demand than meth, blue-collar drug chemists will shift their focus and backyard medicinal synthesis as a field will explode in sophistication and complexity

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

most antibiotics aren't actually that hard to produce - mostly they're basically adaptations of evolved biofactories, I.e. you only really need a good colony of e.g. mold to keep production going.

assuming the total collapse of society would almost certainly entail an apocalyptic nuclear exchange at some point, though, so there's not much point in speculating about it

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

V. Illych L. posted:

most antibiotics aren't actually that hard to produce - mostly they're basically adaptations of evolved biofactories, I.e. you only really need a good colony of e.g. mold to keep production going.

assuming the total collapse of society would almost certainly entail an apocalyptic nuclear exchange at some point, though, so there's not much point in speculating about it
someone is going to survive though

you're actually one of the most likely candidates itt, you and that norwegian deer hunter need to join forces, he provides the meat and you provide the antibiotic mould and pilfered lumber

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

redleader posted:

because everyone is just writing the same boring fallout/madmax fan fiction where the apocalypse is a fun adventure that wipes away your boring mundane life but not too too much. So everyone gets to live in a frontier wilderness where they are the protagonist and they don't have much, but don't actually have to worry about the hard or unpleasant parts. When the real unpleasant truth is that it will really look the way cities now with massive inequality or a bad disaster look. Not a fun time travel adventure back to an wilderness adventure where you are the sole surviver singlehandedly forging swords and making medicine while fighting off raiders like a videogame.

The future is going to look like mumbai, not dr quinn. A lot of people are going to live in your city's version of Dharavi, a lot of people in this thread are people that are probably personally going to be a lot of people that don't. But thats not a fun adventure fantasy. Being regular poor person poor instead of fun fantasy poor (or worse: regular lower class/lower middle class) isn't fun. So people refuse to talk about what climate change will do to the world, and instead talk about the cool videogame life they are totally gonna have when everyone is gonna be sorry they made fun of them.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

redleader posted:

suggestion for next version of the Climate Trail, instead of seeds your trade-able commodities are paper chromatography strips and lab glassware

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

fauna posted:

fabulously wealthy in the post-apocalypse

Care to expand on your projections and theories about a supposed "post" apocalypse?

I'm not seeing any "post" apocalypse for any presently living person.

People will live on after the fall of industrial civilization, to be sure - but the fall doesn't stop there does it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The future is going to look like mumbai, not dr quinn. A lot of people are going to live in your city's version of Dharavi, a lot of people in this thread are people that are probably personally going to be a lot of people that don't. But thats not a fun adventure fantasy. Being regular poor person poor instead of fun fantasy poor (or worse: regular lower class/lower middle class) isn't fun.

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I'm agreeing with OOCC in the climate change thread.

Edit- As stupid as this sounds, I actually feel like the best media representation of a dystopian climate change outcome was a really short lived show on SyFy called Incorporated. It did not take a rigorous scientific approach to the impacts of climate change, but the broad strokes of how society was depicted were pretty great.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 9, 2019

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

because everyone is just writing the same boring fallout/madmax fan fiction where the apocalypse is a fun adventure that wipes away your boring mundane life but not too too much. So everyone gets to live in a frontier wilderness where they are the protagonist and they don't have much, but don't actually have to worry about the hard or unpleasant parts. When the real unpleasant truth is that it will really look the way cities now with massive inequality or a bad disaster look. Not a fun time travel adventure back to an wilderness adventure where you are the sole surviver singlehandedly forging swords and making medicine while fighting off raiders like a videogame.

The future is going to look like mumbai, not dr quinn. A lot of people are going to live in your city's version of Dharavi, a lot of people in this thread are people that are probably personally going to be a lot of people that don't. But thats not a fun adventure fantasy. Being regular poor person poor instead of fun fantasy poor (or worse: regular lower class/lower middle class) isn't fun. So people refuse to talk about what climate change will do to the world, and instead talk about the cool videogame life they are totally gonna have when everyone is gonna be sorry they made fun of them.

gently caress me, I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with the cat goon. :cripes:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rime posted:

I mean, it turns out people who stayed home their whole life with videogames and pop culture as their only frame of reference can only imagine the future in terms of videogames and pop culture. But even a dumbo like me can say that isn't what real cities look like as they struggle through poverty or environmental disaster issues once he's actually been to a few (to pet cats).

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

the chickens are coming home to roost baby

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Admiral Ray posted:

Learn how to distill alcohol. Everyone loves alcohol and they'll love it even more while the world is decaying.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tuyop posted:

I suppose that’s likely, but I think in the next 2-5 years we’re going to see some really massive taxing and sanctioning on all things fossil fuel. And either way it’s not like it’s an industry that’s immune to climate pressures. What happens to all those rigs in the Caribbean in the face of more insane hurricanes? Or the tar sands in weird tornado/wildfire/drought/flood events?

I don't think that will happen in the USA unless a Democrat wins in 2020 AND if they aren't a moderate on climate.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

redleader posted:

This is a real issue for some of us. My wife depends on two medications. One, a high dose probiotic (200b) that keeps a serious digestive issue under control (inflammation test results verify effectiveness) and two, thyroid meds.

The first I could figure out how to brew, the second I haven't a clue.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 9, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mr Chips posted:

suggestion for next version of the Climate Trail, instead of seeds your trade-able commodities are paper chromatography strips and lab glassware

... and thyroid meds apparently.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

I don't think that will happen in the USA unless a Democrat wins in 2020 AND if they aren't a moderate on climate.

I know, but there are 6 other countries in the G7. The US is a big deal but few companies will deal with the loss of millions of customers and productive capacity without some kind of price reaction.

And within the US many states could implement their own sanctions and the legal route could achieve the same goal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VideoGameVet posted:

... and thyroid meds apparently.

On the plus side, the need for insulin will resolve itself rather quickly. :smith:

You might consider contacting the Open Insulin Project. Maybe there could be an enclave somewhere where diabetics could migrate to where insulin was being produced.

Perhaps make a 'hard mode' in the game where characters could have pre-existing conditions that could waylay you, in addition to broken bones, sickness from exposure, etc., etc.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

On the plus side, the need for insulin will resolve itself rather quickly. :smith:

You might consider contacting the Open Insulin Project. Maybe there could be an enclave somewhere where diabetics could migrate to where insulin was being produced.

Perhaps make a 'hard mode' in the game where characters could have pre-existing conditions that could waylay you, in addition to broken bones, sickness from exposure, etc., etc.

Thyroid condition isn't diabetes. It's Hashimoto, a auto-immune issue.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Thyroid condition isn't diabetes. It's Hashimoto, a auto-immune issue.

I know it's not, I was just remarking that in a suspension of supply chain, the problem of supplying diabetics with insulin would be a problem that would depressingly solve itself, and making the point that there could be other conditions that the party members could suffer from that might not mean their deaths without medication, but could be exacerbated by excessive stress or physical exertion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Rime posted:

https://twitter.com/clickhole/status/960568745298223104

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wait, Dr Quinn Medicine Woman was post apocalyptic???

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know it's not, I was just remarking that in a suspension of supply chain, the problem of supplying diabetics with insulin would be a problem that would depressingly solve itself, and making the point that there could be other conditions that the party members could suffer from that might not mean their deaths without medication, but could be exacerbated by excessive stress or physical exertion.

My guess is that for stuff like Hashimoto's or hormonal conditions people will rely on nutritional or herbal stuff they can grow.

But for a large segment of the population the strategy will be:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Wait, Dr Quinn Medicine Woman was post apocalyptic???

If you're Indigenous, then yes.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So, is there gonna be a post-post-apocalypse? Could a greener civilization rise from the ashes eventually?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

unwantedplatypus posted:

So, is there gonna be a post-post-apocalypse? Could a greener civilization rise from the ashes eventually?

Not a human one, no.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Not a human one, no.

Why's that?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Probably because we're too dumb.

Keep in mind that from a technological standpoint we could solve climate change and have a greener civilization right now. We could do it without giving up most of the trappings of modern society, it's just that we'd have to give up some things and our entire political and economic systems are built around the idea that we don't give up anything ever. We could have dealt with climate change 40 years ago with a fairly minimal amount of pain if we had really wanted to.

I guess I'll just be cynical as gently caress and say that I don't know if the kind of stupidity that got us here is really something we're ever going to get past.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You make the coming post-apocalypse fun.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Not a human one, no.

I for one welcome our new Calamari overlords.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Because by the time the pockets of industrial civilization in the Arctic circle collapse, planetary conditions will be too degraded for surviving humans to live in anything but abject squalor, and it'll take millions of years for both the collapsed biosphere to recover and for the genus homo to adapt to the new conditions - assuming it doesn't just go extinct like 90% of terrestrial life.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Probably because we're too dumb.

Keep in mind that from a technological standpoint we could solve climate change and have a greener civilization right now. We could do it without giving up most of the trappings of modern society, it's just that we'd have to give up some things and our entire political and economic systems are built around the idea that we don't give up anything ever. We could have dealt with climate change 40 years ago with a fairly minimal amount of pain if we had really wanted to.

I guess I'll just be cynical as gently caress and say that I don't know if the kind of stupidity that got us here is really something we're ever going to get past.

*younger generations literally rallying in the street to stop climate change

"uhhh, yeah I dunno if humans are capable of learning from their mistakes."

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

1950s/1960s platypus:
*younger generations literally rallying in the street to enact civil rights*
"uhhh, yeah I dunno if humans are capable of learning from their mistakes."

60-70 years later:
(Nelson Muntz) HA-ha!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Oracle posted:

You make the coming post-apocalypse fun.

well ... I had to put that line in, even though I didn't create it in RTZ.

In fact, there's no rye. Hasn't been any for years. The poor fellow is half crazy from the heat

I guess so ... I got this review on Android.

quote:

An amazing remake of The Oregon Trail. Where the original did not mince its words "Your daughter died of dysentery", this game did not get any less harsh. It feels like in a time when modern games are all about popping bubbles or crushing candy, this game can feel a little jarring, a little bit like a pinch in the face with reality, or at least one possible future reality. But that's the point of this game. It is still a great way to have fun and fiddle away some time!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Hey VGV. I have 0 coding experience but if you want to keep working on climate trail id be happy to help work on an in game economy to beef up the buy/sell/trade experience.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Owing to your avatar, there's always going to be a Lord Humungus who's only concerned with the short-to-mid-term, not the long term. We're a species that's had long-term planning and survival strategies unconditioned from our general psyche by the convenience of meticiously-constructed supply chains. Simple subsistence farming is easy enough, but how many people do you know who know how to preserve (dry, pickle, salt) things? Planting seeds is easy enough, but what about diseases and insects?

It will take many, many generations for humanity as a whole to re-learn stuff that used to be second nature, and in the interim, we'll have feudalism back again, only this time with guns.

There's another skill set to learn - how to melt down lead, remove the purities, and recast bullets. Making gunpowder, too. You'll be invaluable, but you'll also smell like piss and poo poo all the time.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 9, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Owing to your avatar, there's always going to be a Lord Humungus who's only concerned with the short-to-mid-term, not the long term. We're a species that's had long-term planning and survival strategies unconditioned from our general psyche by the convenience of meticiously-constructed supply chains. Simple subsistence farming is easy enough, but how many people do you know who know how to preserve (dry, pickle, salt) things? Planting seeds is easy enough, but what about diseases and insects?

It will take many, many generations for humanity as a whole to re-learn stuff that used to be second nature, and in the interim, we'll have feudalism back again, only this time with guns.

There's another skill set to learn - how to melt down lead, remove the purities, and recast bullets. Making gunpowder, too. You'll be invaluable, but you'll also smell like piss and poo poo all the time.

You're missing the part where primitivism is incompatible with a dead planet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Hey VGV. I have 0 coding experience but if you want to keep working on climate trail id be happy to help work on an in game economy to beef up the buy/sell/trade experience.

Honest Truth? The game has 5-star ratings. If I was going to add stuff, I'd put in more dialog between the characters about their pasts and how f-ing crazy it was to let this all happen. Not hard, but my time is the blocker.

But that's not the issue that matters.

The issue is MEDIA COVERAGE. The game is the proverbial falling tree in the forest. People don't know about it. One of the reasons I made it free/no-iap/no-ads was to increase the probability that it would get mentions.

I ran user acquisition at mobile app companies for a decade and I am under no illusions that I can afford the kind of marketing budget it would take to get it noticed. And Apple isn't going to feature a cross-platform game like this one.

So I'm focusing my time (outside of a full-time job as a researcher/director) on getting to media people who cover the climate. Got nibbles, but no bites yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

And the guy at the NYT says:

Thanks for thinking of us, but my editor doesn’t want a story. Good
luck with it—

Oh well

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 9, 2019