Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SubponticatePoster posted:

I bought an external optical drive for like $15 so I could put all my CDs on my laptop. Maybe that'd work for you?

I’ll look into it. I only have three USB ports but I think I can at least pull my mouse and just deal with the touchpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ll look into it. I only have three USB ports but I think I can at least pull my mouse and just deal with the touchpad.

buy a usb hub too and viola....everything should work properly.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

macnbc posted:

I really like how simple it makes things. I’m using a combination of built-in and community-made integration plugins and I’ve got Steam, GOG, Origin, Uplay, Humble store, Epic store, Twitch Prime games and PSN achievements all on one screen.

There’s a feature promised but not implemented yet where since it has to launch the needed clients to run the games, that it can close out the other client when you close the game. That’s a must for me because I hate leaving all of that stuff running.

Basically I’m down to only using Steam itself when I’m using my Steam Link since obviously Galaxy doesn’t support that.

Sounds good. So if I wanted to launch a game I bought on steam I'd need steam installed?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can download Rise of Legends here https://www.old-games.com/download/9845/rise-of-nations-rise-of

Since the game likely doesnt play on Windows 10 and has been abandoned I dont see why there would be a problem sharing this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Since the game likely doesnt play on Windows 10 and has been abandoned I dont see why there would be a problem sharing this.

It makes me feel ancient, seeing a game I got when it came out on the same kind of sites I used to download DOS games off of.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Angry_Ed posted:

Ah, yeah that would be a problem. It's still weird to me that computers don't have internal optical drives these days.

I have one just to reinstall my OS as my external, USB one can't be read by the system until Windows is installed.

Edit: I never knew that Rise of Legends existed until just now despite playing Rise of Nations quite a bit when it was released on CD and having the "Extended Edition" on Steam

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 29, 2019

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

bessantj posted:

Sounds good. So if I wanted to launch a game I bought on steam I'd need steam installed?

Correct. It basically acts as a proxy for any game not native to GOG. You can tell it to install or play games but it'll be running the other launchers in the background to actually make that happen.

I did see in a news article that some Steam games actually launch faster via GOG than Steam because apparently Galaxy has some magic where it launches only what Steam things are strictly necessary and not like the overlay or whatever, but I haven't tested or timed it myself.

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, they've refused several popular indie games in the past because they felt they didn't meet an arbitrary and unexplained notability threshold. They even changed their mind at the last minute for a couple of them after the press published stories about GOG refusing those games for "not being a good fit for the platform."

This is the double-edged sword of having a curated storefront. People slag on Steam all the time for lacking an effective curation method and trying to outsource that to users all the time, while their storefront gets filled with low-effort trash. GOG does curate their selection themselves, but that means sometimes they make bad calls.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 29, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

macnbc posted:

This is the double-edged sword of having a curated storefront. People slag on Steam all the time for lacking an effective curation method and trying to outsource that to users all the time. GOG does curate their selection themselves, but that means sometimes they make bad calls.

It is, but there are more choices than "allow absolutely everything, including achievement farming/asset flips/homophobic propaganda" and "only allow what the corporation thinks will make a profit."

It's entirely possible to hire people whose responsibility it would be to keep the complete trash out while still allowing anyone to release games on Steam for free (no matter how poorly made, as long as they're an attempt to make a genuine video game), and Valve have both the means and the responsibility to do so. The real problem is they're so far up their own techbro asses that they think algorithms are the solution to everything, and they only care insofar as the discoverability problem is hurting their bottom line.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pyromancer posted:

Pretty sure their main condition is for the game to be DRM-free, hardly mysterious
Yeah, but the MS guy said GOG had "specific rules" about "what other stores they can be available in", so if it's about DRM it's an extremely weaselly way to put it.

bessantj posted:

Yeah. Unless you also have the game on GOG (with Connect) or it's one of those rare games that don't require Steam to run, such as some old DOS-era game bundled with DOSBox.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Might be a windows storefront/app thing.

Its legitimate for gog not to want to sell a product that points customers away from their store.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, but the MS guy said GOG had "specific rules" about "what other stores they can be available in", so if it's about DRM it's an extremely weaselly way to put it.
The quote reads awkwardly grammatically, so the "other stores" bit could be about Epic and not GOG. Also GOG has had timed exclusives before, it's possible they want exclusivity if they're doing the work to make the game playable.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The quote reads awkwardly grammatically, so the "other stores" bit could be about Epic and not GOG. Also GOG has had timed exclusives before, it's possible they want exclusivity if they're doing the work to make the game playable.

I know that they did that with System Shock 2 and Wizardry 6-8, so there are probably others that I've forgotten.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
xiii is on gog now. Makes me very happy, though the original could be run standalone without the cds.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

XIII got relisted on gog again? Cool, it was delisted on GOG for around 3 or 4 years, I think.
Some of the levels in XIII were really fun(bank level), other levels were annoying (wintertime forest map) to extremely bad(plain rock canyons map).
Main dislike of XIII is how it stripped you of weapons for almost every location change.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is really making me wish they’d get Starlancer/Freelancer. Not as good as Freespace 2 but I have so much nostalgia for those games.

I forgot about Freelancer.
I'd kill for a source code release for this in the hopes there'd be source ports to other platforms.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

quantumfoam posted:

XIII got relisted on gog again? Cool, it was delisted on GOG for around 3 or 4 years, I think.
Some of the levels in XIII were really fun(bank level), other levels were annoying (wintertime forest map) to extremely bad(plain rock canyons map).
Main dislike of XIII is how it stripped you of weapons for almost every location change.

Most of them weren't too bad, but yeah I racked up loads of deaths in the canyons. Rocket launchers in tight spaces suuucks

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This may have slipped through some cracks so:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_ai_war_2_c417f

AI War 2 is available DRM free on GOG. It's also available through gog connect until Nov 5th for anyone who already owns the game on Steam.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Has anyone here played Pathway on GOG? I've had my eye on it since release, but it has very low user ratings. I normally don't put much stock into those, but they are worryingly low this time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone here played Pathway on GOG? I've had my eye on it since release, but it has very low user ratings. I normally don't put much stock into those, but they are worryingly low this time.

Dunno if the update hit GOG yet but basically Pathway launched kinda bland and rough around the edges but the devs recently put out a huge patch that completely revitalized the game. Steam reviews went from Mixed to Very Positive, which is incredibly rare.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

For certain games, the GOG fanbase is pretty good about keeping tabs on patches, almost as a reflex:
https://www.gog.com/forum/pathway/changelog/post13

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

John Murdoch posted:

Dunno if the update hit GOG yet but basically Pathway launched kinda bland and rough around the edges but the devs recently put out a huge patch that completely revitalized the game. Steam reviews went from Mixed to Very Positive, which is incredibly rare.

I just checked on Steam; that is a hell of a turn-around. I think that it sold me on the game, though I'm still buying it on GOG.

Also, I noticed that the Shenmue collection is 66% off on Steam thanks to my checking reviews for Pathway; double sold.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was just browsing deals for the weekend when I noticed that Warlords 1, 2 Deluxe, and 3 were all added this week :hawaaaafap:

GoG now needs to get Dune 2 available for purchase so that I can relive my childhood DOS days :allears:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

I was just browsing deals for the weekend when I noticed that Warlords 1, 2 Deluxe, and 3 were all added this week :hawaaaafap:

GoG now needs to get Dune 2 available for purchase so that I can relive my childhood DOS days :allears:

Oh nice, thanks for the heads up on that. I actually remember checking for those games on GOG a few times over the years and always being disappointed that they weren't available.

Here's a really good LP on Warlords 2 Deluxe from a while back, if you have archives.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The first Warlords is a masterclass in game and AI design. You can wring so much game out of that one map.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

THE BAR posted:

The first Warlords is a masterclass in game and AI design. You can wring so much game out of that one map.

I can't speak for 1, but I know that I've owned 3 at some point because it looks way too familiar to be a coincidence.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Warlords 2 was one of my favourite games going up. Age of Wonders series improved on it a lot but there is lots of gaming to get out of the trilogy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

As awesome as it is that they have the deluxe version of War2, I wish they had the option of installing vanilla Warlords 2 as they changed the soundtrack for Deluxe and I actually prefer the original soundtrack

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I loved Warlords as a kid. I've only replayed it recently, and I love how to the point the faction descriptions are in the manual.

quote:

The Sirians (White)
The Sirians are Knights of a one-time chivalrous Order, dedicated to spreading
the worship of their God to all of Illuria. Conversion by the sword is their
favoured, (and some say their only), method of spreading the good word. their
capital city is Marthos, on the southern edge of Eastern Sulador.

2. The Storm Giants (Yellow)
The Storm Giants are a race of powerful twelve foot tall giants, whose capital
city, Stormheim, is located on the peak of storm Mountain, in Western Sulador.
The Storm Giants despise all those shorter than themselves, and have vowed to
purify Illuria of what they see as an infestation of minuscule pests.

3. The Grey Dwarves (Brown)
The Grey Dwarves are a hardy folk, living in the city of Khamar, which is
found in the Niroth Mountains in Central Lauredor. They desire to mine and
exploit all the treasures of Illuria without let or hindrance. The surface
dwelling races of Illuria are uniformly regarded as an obstacle to this
grand ambition.

4. The Orcs fo Kor (Red)
In the city of Kor, in far off Huinedor, live a degenerate race of Orcs, led
by a vile creature known as the Great Orc. Years of being the object of both
derision and disgust to the other races has bred a terrible resolve. They
will stop at nothing to spread their bloody-minded rule over all of Illuria.
The rest of Illuria regards the term 'degenerate', when applied to Orcs, as
redundant.

5. Elvallie (Green)
Elvallie is the name of a forest and a city and the people who dwell therein.
It is the homeland of the Light Elves of Illuria, in Central Sulador. An
arrogant race, they believe that only they are fit to live in harmony with the
land. They consider the removal of all other sentient races from Illuria to be
merely sound ecological practice.

6. The Selentines (Dark Blue)
The Selentines are a cruel empire of humans, whose capital is Enmouth, on the
Western edge of Lauredor, by the Paramer Sea. They are a great naval force, and
will miss no opportunity to spread their rule into new lands. They also regard
all trees as ships that are simply yet to be constructed.

7. The Horse Lords (Light Blue)
The Horse Lords are a wild people, living on the plains in Eastern Lauredor,
between the White and Nirnoth Mountains. Their capital city is Dunethel,
where they can usually be found amassing great legions of cavalry. They covet
all the lands of Illuria, and consider it the height of achievement to stable
their horses in the ruins of other civilizations.

8. Lord Bane (Black)
Lord Bane is an evil force, lurking in his citadel in the encircling
mountains of Argundor. His legions include all sorts of warped races, such
as Dark Elves, Men, Ogres and Orcs. Tradition and ambition both decree that
he attempt to enslave all of Illuria.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
GOG got Stranglehold today. A third person shooter game from 2007, that was apparently created (?) by John Woo and it's main character is from his movie Hard Boiled (1992). I don't think I even remember this existing, but it doesn't look half bad.

Also, as far as I can tell, it's only available (as a digital download) on GOG currently.

https://www.gog.com/news/stranglehold_rediscover_the_gun_ballet_classic_from_the_legendary_john_woo

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 26, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh rad! Yeah, Stranglehold has never been available digitally before AFAIK.

IIRC, it's got a little bit of jank to it, but if you liked any of the half-dozen shooters that aped from John Woo in the first place you'll probably like Stranglehold too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

GOG got Stranglehold today. A third person shooter game from 2007, that was apparently created (?) by John Woo and it's main character is from his movie Hard Boiled (1992). I don't think I even remember this existing, but it doesn't look half bad.

Also, as far as I can tell, it's only available (as a digital download) on GOG currently.

https://www.gog.com/news/stranglehold_rediscover_the_gun_ballet_classic_from_the_legendary_john_woo

It's a canonical sequel to Hard Boiled featuring the same main character, where Woo had a producer role. It was stuck in licensing hell for years and kind of sucked to get working on Windows 10, so pretty cool that GOG finally picked it up, especially since I remember it being decent.

e; for anyone interested, I picked it up. It runs fine on W10 though the PC port itself is very barebones (and always was). Widescreen is an aggressive vert- and the FOV is already super narrow by default, so I would recommend probably waiting to see if someone writes a FOV fixer for patch 1.1 (which is the version shipped by GOG and apparently not supported by the two existing Stranglehold FOV fixers).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 26, 2019

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
My memory of Stranglehold is that it was very Max Payne-ish, with lots of unnecessary sliding around on catering carts and saving up magic bullet juice to sniper-shot dudes directly in the dick.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's a fun game. Yes, you can roll around on catering carts.

It looks like this wasn't outsourced but rather done internally at Warner Bros, which is unusual - I would've expected this to be an Iron Galaxy or Night Dive thing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ErrEff posted:

It's a fun game. Yes, you can roll around on catering carts.

It looks like this wasn't outsourced but rather done internally at Warner Bros, which is unusual - I would've expected this to be an Iron Galaxy or Night Dive thing.

It was actually done by Midway before they folded, WB probably got the rights to it when they bought up Midway's IPs and so forth.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

I do remember reading about this in video game magazines back when it was coming out, and I remember being interested in it at the time. Plus it was only :10bux: so I figured what the hell. I'll just add it to the backlog of other video games I haven't played yet. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

My memory of Stranglehold is that it was very Max Payne-ish, with lots of unnecessary sliding around on catering carts and saving up magic bullet juice to sniper-shot dudes directly in the dick.

The sliding around on carts is 100% necessary.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

The sliding around on carts is 100% necessary.

Yeah if you're not sliding around on carts and running along railings in a John Woo film game, what are you even doing with your life?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah if you're not sliding around on carts and running along railings in a John Woo film game, what are you even doing with your life?

shooting my way through a hospital filled with criminals

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

drkeiscool posted:

shooting my way through a hospital filled with criminals

Ah! I see you are an American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Stranglehold is janky as gently caress but I love it so I'm pumped.