Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That's another thing I'm cross about. Iran has a sizable population of people who just want to get on with things, modernize with respect to civil rights, and be respected as a nation that isn't demonized at every turn with the West. The more we make Iran Deals happen, the more political influence those people get as we seem like a reasonable nation to reconcile with. The more we poo poo on them because neocons and evangelists need an enemy, the more influence the reactionary anti-west olds gain, as they remember the US loving the whole country over.

This is a global level self-own because Trump is everything he criticized Obama for.

the howling american nutters and howling iranian nutters have a symbiotic relationship, because they get to point at each other and say "see?! the other guys can't be trusted and only want to destroy us, [Rouhani/Obama] is limp-wristed and endangering the country"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Trump doesn't want to be in Syria and has been saying he wants pull out for 3 years and tried to do it twice already.

How is this a mystery for you?

Because it doesn't explain why it happened immediately following a call with Erdogan or what's changed now?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dog Friday posted:

Trump is old as hell and the next year will take a serious toll on what is left of his mental capacity... If he gets over the line in 2020 the Republicans are going to have a fully deranged, unchained monster on their hands.

Is this just a quote from 2015 you changed the date on

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Majorian posted:

The Baltic States are in NATO; they're not going to get hosed with too much.

The only real power in NATO just showed that they will betray their allies at the drop of a real estate deal

Russia isn't going to actually attack the baltics since they can't even manage to take over Ukraine, but if I would be any nation that depends on American power to defend themselves I would probably start rebuilding my military

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 9, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

happyhippy posted:

Iran must be loving this poo poo.
The Middle East is watching and going 'well if this is going to happen when you support the US....'

"Just like Putin said!"

Don't forget that bit.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/cameron_easley/status/1179735129150967810

Trump's net approval is at 5 or less in 40 out of 50 states.

He's under water in loving Montana.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Paradoxish posted:

Because it doesn't explain why it happened immediately following a call with Erdogan or what's changed now?
Erdogan told him he wanted to invade Syria, and Trump did what he already wanted to do. There just wasn't anyone sane around to talk him down this time because they've all quit.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 9, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

It's the friggin dril tweet

Can someone please tell me how the brokebrains even stumbled on this point? Like what the actual gently caress?

Yes, American Antifa "cells" are being trained across the world in Rojava, uh huh, totally legit! :downs:

Do they actually believe in this loving insane parallel universe they spin up? This outright right wing fanfiction. Is Antifa loving Cobra to these people?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Trump doesn't want to be in Syria and has been saying he wants pull out for 3 years and tried to do it twice already.

How is this a mystery for you?

Trump doesn’t “want” anything like that. He’s not making independent thoughts about Syria. What spurred this on was whatever request happened in his phone call with Erdogan that his staff either encouraged or failed to deter him from.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Well, grats to Trump I guess. This Kurd thing will finally give him the body count he needed to surpass Bush jr. on the lovely president scale. Still time to maybe get past Reagan, Buchanan and Jackson to take the top spot.

In a presidency that has been one insane, catastrophically dumb decision after another, this is the dumbest and most catastrophic.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Erdogan told him he wanted to invade Syria, and Trump did what he already wanted to do. There just wasn't anyone sane attend to talk him down this time because they've all quit.

Also the American Military and Diplomatic Corp were completely taken aback by the decision.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The uncaring and thoughtless nature of withdrawing from Syria is honestly kind of sickening.

Even in straight economic terms, it's not costing the US much and the stability for reliable allies in the region is huge. US troops are largely not at risk but their presence prevented what we're seeing now.

Isn't this one of the things the country should want troops to be doing?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TulliusCicero posted:

Can someone please tell me how the brokebrains even stumbled on this point? Like what the actual gently caress?

Yes, American Antifa "cells" are being trained across the world in Rojava, uh huh, totally legit! :downs:

Do they actually believe in this loving insane parallel universe they spin up? This outright right wing fanfiction. Is Antifa loving Cobra to these people?

apparently so, i've seen this insane talking point pop up a couple different places

pacerhimself posted:

The uncaring and thoughtless nature of withdrawing from Syria is honestly kind of sickening.

Even in straight economic terms, it's not costing the US much and the stability for reliable allies in the region is huge. US troops are largely not at risk but their presence prevented what we're seeing now.

Isn't this one of the things the country should want troops to be doing?

yeah this was one of the morally best, cheapest, safest things to use our military for, short of humanitarian aid and anti-piracy okay fine anti-piracy is somewhat morally complex but you get the idea

so of course Trump ruined it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

twice burned ice posted:

I'm amazed at how few dumb motherfuckers you've met.

Seriously, talk to any idiot racist, and you'll be able to imagine someone who would like him because you'll have met them.

I've had the displeasure of talking to plenty of racist idiots, racist co-workers, family members, former friends, whatever. And if there's something that's true across all of them, it's that they all, by "average" person standards hate each other and wouldn't even like Trump if they had to speak to him one on one about anything for more than a minute, but are all "friends" at the same time. Every single one of these folks sees themselves as a potential uber-person, just a little better and more important than everyone else around them including their closes friends/family/coworker/etc. that they supposedly like. Their relationships are based entirely around judgment and feeling superior to others. Like if you ever want a stereotypical instance of two people being buddy buddy with each other and then going off about what assholes they are all you need to do is see too idiot racists as their friendly conversation is ending.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

american antifascists did go and fight with the ypg. that arm was even originally called the international antifascist battalion.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Merkinman posted:

So you agree with me that "Feet out in the street" means gently caress all as well.

Only if those feet are standing in free speech zones instead shuttind down ICE headquarters or an Amazon fulfillment center.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

GreyjoyBastard posted:

apparently so, i've seen this insane talking point pop up a couple different places

The right-wing echo chamber of the truly lost have taken it as gospel that Antifa is a global organization funded by the Jews (Soros, usually) that exists as a kind of terror cell in every country. Usually Antifa is tied to Islamic extremism for incredibly vague reasons, but it's pretty sticky that they have some kind of Middle Eastern origin. Because it's scarier that way?

I ... don't really know where it came from originally, but that's the current consensus among the ones I have access to.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"I got recording of Hunter Biden torture a Russian"
"When do you want us pull out?"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

there are very few viable states if that's our criterion.

Yes? There's a reason for the phrase 'American Empire.'

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Pollyanna posted:

It’s disastrous when it results in Senate losses and removal from office, no earlier than that. The GOP voters will come home to roost like they always do, and the GOP politicians will stonewall as much as possible.

Yeah this right here.

Those numbers aren't good but they aren't enough to scare the GOP into any real action at this point. It'll probably require a larger shift for a sustained period of time to get them to really do anything. Those numbers will probably have to be heaps worse than we've seen so far.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1181973481644331008

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Groovelord Neato posted:

american antifascists did go and fight with the ypg. that arm was even originally called the international antifascist battalion.

Fascists are the only ones protecting us against Antifa!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
The only reason NATO works is because attacking a NATO member means you are attacking the United States.

That’s in doubt now, because our President is a Russian jizz sock who’s so craven and stupid he let Turkey bully him over a loving hotel.

Russia doesn’t give a poo poo about what loving France would think about them starting poo poo.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

How many?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Well, we knew that one of Putins long term goal is to break up nato. Turkey murdering the poo poo out of the Kurds seems a really good first step on that road. We probably will never know what Trump got in return, but I would assume it's hotel permits in eastern europe and other real estate things. Erdogan has been making overtures to Russia anyway, so maybe this is just a next step in a new Putin led "defensive" alliance. Orban is easily on board as well. Fascists dictators/strongmen famously get along very well, as long as they stay out of each others ways.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Just want to confirm that the 25% does indeed come from polled Republicans in the latest WaPo poll.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L-XRdXdqB2Rd0ImdcMC2yoCG8Nh-2rhdZN9xlbZaRqM/edit#gid=0'

Like, that really is an utterly disastrous number that Trump is gleefully bragging about. I won't speculate about whether he actually understands that or not.

Lmao a quarter of his own party ALREADY want him gone, that's loving amazing

And the bigly boy thinks that's good news? The Republicans can't afford any fractures, because they are already the minority party

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not enough that these dudes should be filling their diapers over it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Numlock posted:

The only reason NATO works is because attacking a NATO member means you are attacking the United States.

That’s in doubt now, because our President is a Russian jizz sock who’s so craven and stupid he let Turkey bully him over a loving hotel.

Russia doesn’t give a poo poo about what loving France would think about them starting poo poo.

Speaking of which, what does it take to get drummed out of NATO? I imagine Turkey's days as a member gotta be numbered.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yeah this right here.

Those numbers aren't good but they aren't enough to scare the GOP into any real action at this point. It'll probably require a larger shift for a sustained period of time to get them to really do anything. Those numbers will probably have to be heaps worse than we've seen so far.

They need to get numbers that they are going to lose the senate for a decade plus before they consider plunging the knife.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

That wasn't accomplished by protests though, the Civil Rights Act was the result of a whole bunch of riots and the very real threat of widespread civil unrest. Crediting the Civil Rights Act with peaceful demonstrations is literally the whitewashed version of History.

It's not one or the other, the protests and the riots fed into one another. Protests bring in sympathizers, riots remind people of what the alternative to peaceful change is.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Oracle posted:

Speaking of which, what does it take to get drummed out of NATO? I imagine Turkey's days as a member gotta be numbered.

Turkey leaving NATO would be Russia’s strategic wettest dream. No way anyone in power in NATO except Trump wants to see that happen.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1181980334587555842

https://twitter.com/townhallproject/status/1181992524228878336

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1181985878115340288

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Talk about committing to the cause...

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Prester Jane posted:

Only if those feet are standing in free speech zones instead shuttind down ICE headquarters or an Amazon fulfillment center.

Ah "feet on the street" meaning some sort of civil war / French revolution / riots sort of thing ok.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Numlock posted:

our President is a Russian jizz sock

Thread title.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

We probably will never know what Trump got in return, but I would assume it's hotel permits in eastern europe and other real estate things.

Given his track record at making deals, it's entirely possible he didn't get anything at all, and Erdogan just told him his long ties made him look tall or some poo poo.

Oracle posted:

NATO membership is already on murky ground since Trump was trying to shake down all of the members earlier last year. If many of the members didn't literally need us to survive, it probably would have broken up by now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Turkey leaving NATO would be Russia’s strategic wettest dream. No way anyone in power in NATO except Trump wants to see that happen.

Turkey under Erdogan isn't an ally, and it shouldn't be part of NATO anymore because it's an unreliable nation that is more enemy than friend.

Hell, we had to kick them out of the F-35 consortium because of their ties to Russia.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Oracle posted:

The odds of that are low because of Turkey's proximity to "strategic resources". Now excuse me while I go scream into the void at the genocide happening before our eyes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/TreyYingst/status/1181673325044604928

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

How did I forget that. It's still insane, but slightly less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Merkinman posted:

Ah "feet on the street" meaning some sort of civil war / French revolution / riots sort of thing ok.

Or a peaceful general strike, (which I advocate for in this thread on the daily daily).