Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Should we reboot some of the megathreads in this forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I hope it’s not one of those “gritty” reboots I keep hearing about

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Reboot them all with lovely computer generated content instead of real posters

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey Hieronymous, when will we have a BotM thread? There's a bunch of people in the Reading Challenge thread asking for a book from Oceania so we could probably rope some of them into reading it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey Hieronymous, when will we have a BotM thread? There's a bunch of people in the Reading Challenge thread asking for a book from Oceania so we could probably rope some of them into reading it

I'm putting it together now, apologies for the delay.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can we just Retcon the old threads to be good in an expanded Book Barn universe?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/GuardianBooks/status/1173605732639363073

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

That's cool as hell

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
if i edit this out before anybody responds maybe i can escape punishment

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Way back in 1999 or so I marked every book I had that I'd read with an X and from then on I've marked every book I read thusly. But now I've been noticing I apparently didn't do it for a while for a lot of paperbacks and it's really loving with me since several times now in the past year I've read a book half-way through or more and realized "oh poo poo I know how this is going to end" :negative:

I guess I should've done the old "tear out every page after reading" thing instead :mmmhmm:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

and that's why you should keep an exhaustive spreadsheet of everything you've ever read and consult it each time you want to start a new book

the Xing is faster tho, yeah

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Just eat every page after reading it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

and that's why you should keep an exhaustive spreadsheet of everything you've ever read and consult it each time you want to start a new book

the Xing is faster tho, yeah

I'm using a spreadsheet in the cloud now, didn't have one back in 1999 (I did keep a plain-text list but that went when the HDD imploded). Also the read books are in a specific part of a specific bookshelf...

Except the crime paperback series because they're in the living room arranged by series and number.

And the over-sized ones because they don't fit.

e: Reminds me of an old school-mate who heard I both X books I read and also initial them on the front leaf. He got really angry at me and after some heated back-and-forth it was revealed that he'd thought a) that I did it to library books and b) did it in ink. I have no idea why he thought those things.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 26, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've found Goodreads to be invaluable. If you're on a kindle you're probably already familiar with it since it hooks right in and tracks your progress in real-time. I also use it for when I am reading books with large enough print for my old man eyes.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah tracking what I have and haven't read is about the only thing I use Goodreads for and it works pretty well for that purpose.

As for what I want to read, that is a blasted hellscape of handwritten lists, Trello boards, Google docs, Amazon wishlists, and wishlists at multiple libraries.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I know what I want to read next but I hate breaking in the backs on new books so I just keep reading more-than-first-hand ones.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

I used to use Goodreads, but now find it way more convenient to keep everything in Excel spreadsheets. No Internet needed. The system's kind of anal, but it works for me. I've got one file for my backlog and one for the books read. The backlog's got 582 nonfiction entries (mostly history and politics) and 370 literature entries. It's the stuff Ctrl+F was made for.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i have a memory

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

i have a memory

I have far more books than I have memory. I've also read more books in the past 37 years than I can remember.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm relying on my memory to fail me so I can finally reread Agatha Christie's works

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
re-reading isn't a mistake, it's an opportunity! You can't read the same book twice anyway. You're not the same person, and it isn't the same book.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

re-reading isn't a mistake, it's an opportunity! You can't read the same book twice anyway. You're not the same person, and it isn't the same book.

but I'll know who dunnit and that spoils the surprise :saddowns:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

several times now in the past year I've read a book half-way through or more and realized "oh poo poo I know how this is going to end" :negative:

this has never happened to me and i find the idea of forgetting that you'd read a book until you were partway through it genuinely bizarre

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I had to stop using goodreads several years ago because it just stressed me out. It's too gamified imo. I do sometimes use it for the whatever it's called the "others liked this"-thing though.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this has never happened to me and i find the idea of forgetting that you'd read a book until you were partway through it genuinely bizarre

Maybe the book was just blah, or it became entwined with a similar story in your memory. I don't think it's happened to me with novels, but it's definitely happened a bunch of times with short stories. I have a bunch of collections on my bedstand that I can pick up and read from if I don't have anything else. More than once have I started reading one and only realized somewhere in or after act two that I've read it before. If I don't recall the themes & ending, I'll just finish it, otherwise I don't usually bother.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

StrixNebulosa posted:

but I'll know who dunnit and that spoils the surprise :saddowns:

Yes, but that’s an interesting experience in itself because you can observe the author laying the mystery as it happens.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1179180994403950592

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
drat, this is a perfect book for October.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you by "reboot", mean "purge all the horrible 1000 page harry potter-, sci-fi and fantasy-threads for good and never let them respawn", then yes, be my guest

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

if you by "reboot", mean "purge all the horrible 1000 page harry potter-, sci-fi and fantasy-threads for good and never let them respawn", then yes, be my guest

I'm not against it but won't that leave something like three threads open?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm not against it but won't that leave something like three threads open?

that would be serene

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't know if there's much demand for a forum dedicated exclusively to books which aren't scientific or fantastic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ulvir posted:

objection, the sci-fi/fantasy megathread is a good place that recs good books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/paularcurtis/status/1181889801768837121

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

most of the smart and funny people stopped posting after botl ate it so gently caress it do whatever who cares

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

most of the smart and funny people stopped posting after botl ate it so gently caress it do whatever who cares

lol

realtalk though there is no tolerance of critique of any kind in this forum now, which was exactly what was predicted would happen when botl was permabanned. there's like two threads where you're still allowed to post your honest opinion of a book, all the others any attempt at actual discussion is drowned out with "NEWSFLASH IT'S OKAY TO LIKE THINGS" because "any criticism of my media is an attack on me personally and must be stopped" is what nerds revert to when they're not constantly challenged

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

fauna posted:

lol

realtalk though there is no tolerance of critique of any kind in this forum now, which was exactly what was predicted would happen when botl was permabanned. there's like two threads where you're still allowed to post your honest opinion of a book, all the others any attempt at actual discussion is drowned out with "NEWSFLASH IT'S OKAY TO LIKE THINGS" because "any criticism of my media is an attack on me personally and must be stopped" is what nerds revert to when they're not constantly challenged

Nah. I mean, to give a long answer, this is just completely untrue. You'd have to be in a bubble to think that only two threads allow criticism of any kind.

Also it was good to permaban a stalker, even if you worshipped him.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Kchama posted:

Also it was good to permaban a stalker, even if you worshipped him.
you people are going to keep saying this and i am going to keep asking for evidence or even a summary of events that isn't "someone told me..."

nobody has even been able to provide the alleged victim's username yet

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fauna posted:

lol

Apparently I wasn't clear enough.

Last time I checked, BotL was not a book. He wasn't even permabanned from this forum, it happened in CineD. Most of his probations didn't come from this forum.

More importantly, this is a forum for talking about books, not posters. I would say "take it to QQCS" but it's a topic that's been beaten to death there too. I'm just bored to poo poo with this discussion. If you want to talk about BotL take it somewhere else. If your post is about a forum poster rather than a book it does not belong here.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 10, 2019

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

LMAO it's Handke and Tokarczuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

LMAO it's Handke and Tokarczuk

It's weird that they're doing backsies on last year

quote:

Torkarczuk is a surprising, but an excellent choice. The judges are describing her as “a writer preoccupied by local life ... but looking at earth from above ... her work is full of wit and cunning.” Aside from her novels, which are wide-ranging and brilliantly translated into English by Antonia Lloyd-Jones and Jennifer Croft, she also has political heft. As public intellectual, feminist vegetarian, she has frequently rankled the conservative edges of Poland.

In a television interview after she won the Nike award (Poland’s Booker equivalent), Tokarczuk outraged rightwing patriots by saying that, contrary to its self-image as a plucky survivor of oppression, Poland itself had committed “horrendous acts” of colonisation at times in its history. She was branded a “targowiczanin” – an ancient term for traitor – and her publisher had to hire bodyguards for a while to protect her.

Read a recent interview with her here.

Olga Tokarczuk: ‘I was very naive. I thought Poland would be able to discuss the dark areas of our history’
Read more

https://www.theguardian.com/books/live/2019/oct/10/nobel-prize-in-literature-2019-two-laureates-to-be-named-live