Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PhazonLink posted:

theres a decent connection to the rise of the 30+ min commute and wingnut radio bullshit.

Commutes around 30 minutes each way have been the norm going back to before the second world war in the US. So no.

The method and distance covered changes by region and time (in fact many of the transit-heavy metro statistical areas have much higher commute times since people tend to put up with longer-time commutes by bus and train) but the approximately 30 minutes each way commute has barely budged.

Plus, just in general, there is and always has been far more bland generic music-heavy radio around and pulling high ratings than any sort of heavily talk-based radio formats, and the most popular talk-based formats have tended to be straight up news with minimal discussion or sports-talk that pretty heavily focuses on the sports part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
$1 of Bitcoin value created is responsible for $0.49 in health and climate damages in the US and $0.37 in China.

And people ask me why I don't accept Bitcoin contributions for The Climate Trail game.

Cryptodamages: Monetary value estimates of the air pollution and human health impacts of cryptocurrency mining.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629619302701

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VideoGameVet posted:

$1 of Bitcoin value created is responsible for $0.49 in health and climate damages in the US and $0.37 in China.

And people ask me why I don't accept Bitcoin contributions for The Climate Trail game.

Cryptodamages: Monetary value estimates of the air pollution and human health impacts of cryptocurrency mining.

Was listening to the This Week in Tech podcast at work, and Leo Laporte said estimates indicated Bitcoin mining basically wipes out the benefits of solar panel use. :smith:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

So what I'm hearing is, even with externalities considered, mining Bitcoin has a profit of $0.14 for every $1 generated? Nice....

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

You can buy LR6, at least, as a standalone retail box.

If you can still find a copy, sure, but Adobe stopped offering it earlier this year. Now it's a subscription fee or nothing.

mediaphage posted:

(sub fees are often lower than the previous model if you were the type to upgrade every edition)

$120 to rent the software for a year is significantly more than paying $70 to upgrade once every few years.

Yes, alternative software exists, but if you want Lightroom specifically, renting it is now the only option. That's the tech nightmare. A tool you once could purchase is now locked behind a monthly subscription service that can be taken away from you because of you happen to live in the wrong location.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

VideoGameVet posted:

The problem isn't as bad as that paper says. Most mining isn't done using electricity off the power grid, instead companies build big server farms next to power plants and get their electricity using dedicated lines, which is much more efficient. It's still a massive waste of resources though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Doggles posted:

If you can still find a copy, sure, but Adobe stopped offering it earlier this year. Now it's a subscription fee or nothing.

$120 to rent the software for a year is significantly more than paying $70 to upgrade once every few years.

Yes, alternative software exists, but if you want Lightroom specifically, renting it is now the only option. That's the tech nightmare. A tool you once could purchase is now locked behind a monthly subscription service that can be taken away from you because of you happen to live in the wrong location.

B&H still sells it.

I was speaking to the cost of CC writ large, not 'only' LR. Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of moving to sub-only options, but this isn't any kind of tech nightmare. It would be more like a tech nightmare if all software goes that way, maybe. As long as there are very valid, very useful alternatives that are free or available for a one-time cost, I just don't bother getting all hot and bothered over it. Especially when the alternatives are very good and in some cases more intuitive. The answer to Adobe pulling moves like this imo isn't to pester them and decry its loss but to cut them out of the situation entirely.

Honestly I think if there were better free/cheap organizational tools I think it would be a lot easier for people to just ignore LR since a lot of the active photo tools in other solutions are just as powerful...but I haven't personally come across m/any.

Anyone whose business relies on a subscription should always have a backup plan; this isn't an attempt to victim blame so much as it is to acknowledge that none of this stuff is reliable.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Konstantin posted:

The problem isn't as bad as that paper says. Most mining isn't done using electricity off the power grid, instead companies build big server farms next to power plants and get their electricity using dedicated lines, which is much more efficient. It's still a massive waste of resources though.

Well, that electricity could have been used for other purposes. Like charging EV's.

So when I hear stuff like "But our BITCOINS are mined with HydroElectric Power!" I think about the coal fired plant X miles away that could run for less time or even be shut down.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Konstantin posted:

None of that is efficient. And those power plants are tied to the grid, so the "dedicated lines" are diverting power from the grid just like the dedicated lines that connect high power real industry to power plants nearby do.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Doggles posted:

For hobbyist, it might not be worth it. For me to do some freelance side gigs, I'd much rather pay $10 a month rather than $1000 straight shot. I also tend to use a lot of other adobe software for the things I do (After Effects, Audition, etc) so it has been significantly cheaper doing the subscription model. Its also a lot easier for my students to get it. Student versions of these softwares weren't free. Ultimately, its cheaper for my students to pay the subscription than an "Academic" license.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

gently caress the Bitcoin Fan Boys.

quote:

Which shows you dont understand bitcoin is. Bitcoin uses no energy. It's a pdf whitepaper. One laptop's cpu can run the entire bitcoin network on its own and consume a minuscule amount of energy.
Millions of asics together use a lot of energy, but they are not required, they simply are part of the network because it's profitable to those who do.
They don't make the network go faster. They are not required.

Yeah yeah:

Energy used for mining and transactions does. Bitcoin currently consumes 66.7 terawatt-hours per year. That’s comparable to the entire energy consumption of the Czech Republic. Source: Digiconomist.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It's best to just block them and delete any posts you can control, because they've all clearly suffered some damage from the heat in their mining rooms and aren't worth arguing with.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

gently caress the Bitcoin Fan Boys.

Yeah yeah:

Energy used for mining and transactions does. Bitcoin currently consumes 66.7 terawatt-hours per year. That’s comparable to the entire energy consumption of the Czech Republic. Source: Digiconomist.

It’s gotten worse since you last checked, it’s up to Austria now.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

It’s gotten worse since you last checked, it’s up to Austria now.

The excuses on the reddit thread are loving insane.

from BitsAndBobs304 via /r/collapse

Which shows you dont understand bitcoin is. Bitcoin uses no energy. It's a pdf whitepaper. One laptop's cpu can run the entire bitcoin network on its own and consume a minuscule amount of energy.
Millions of asics together use a lot of energy, but they are not required, they simply are part of the network because it's profitable to those who do.
They don't make the network go faster. They are not required.

That's like saying that ice cream uses a lot of energy. No, a lot of businesses that produce ice cream all put together use a lot of energy. And if you are critiquing that, you are critiquing capitalism energy usage, not bitcoin energy use, and overpopulation.

bitcoin doesn't use any amount of energy. private businesses that want to make a lot of money from mining bitcoin on large scale use a lot of energy.
all businesses on large scale use a lot of energy to make a lot of money.
it has nothing to do with bitcoin. if bitcoin didn't exist and the private businesses were instead producing toys or books, would they pollute less? of course not. they'd pollute more in fact!

WTF?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
They are actually somewhat close to the central problem of Bitcoin. It was never meant to be used on a wide scale, it was developed as a functional prototype to demonstrate a concept. In an ideal world, the concept of cryptocurrency would have been discussed, tested, and refined over a period of years before actually being used for major transactions. Greedy capitalists are misusing Bitcoin for the same reasons they misuse everything else, and the inevitable collapse will bring the entire field down with it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Konstantin posted:

They are actually somewhat close to the central problem of Bitcoin. It was never meant to be used on a wide scale, it was developed as a functional prototype to demonstrate a concept. In an ideal world, the concept of cryptocurrency would have been discussed, tested, and refined over a period of years before actually being used for major transactions. Greedy capitalists are misusing Bitcoin for the same reasons they misuse everything else, and the inevitable collapse will bring the entire field down with it.

Actually cryptocurrency is just regular stupid, not some beautiful pure thing sullied by greed. The whole idea behind bitcoin is bad.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Actually cryptocurrency is just regular stupid, not some beautiful pure thing sullied by greed. The whole idea behind bitcoin is bad.

Did I already complain once about agreeing with ooc? I can't believe it's happening again.

To be totally correct though, blockchain is the original sin.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Gaming stuff doesn’t come up much in this thread, but I thought this was relevant

Google says it’s going to reduce latency on its cloud gaming platform by using AI to predict your inputs before you make them
https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1181934031027474433?s=21

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

aware of dog posted:

Gaming stuff doesn’t come up much in this thread, but I thought this was relevant

Google says it’s going to reduce latency on its cloud gaming platform by using AI to predict your inputs before you make them

If I wanted to watch a game be played for me, I have Twitch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'm sure that no one can play games as badly as I do

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Predictive AI is now your older brother who can get you past that one part.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah I'm not sure how this would work without messing with your inputs. Seems like it'd work great in games where the lower response time doesn't matter, while being useless or actively harmful in cases where you do actually want a low response time.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

It's the equivalent of giving your brother an unplugged controller and telling him he is playing as the bad guys.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Do you *really* want to cast Fire1?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

aware of dog posted:

Thanks for moving me out of cover so I could be shot, you stupid piece of poo poo.

It's more responsive, but they're all incorrect ones.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at google training its AI on DarkSidePhil and pewpewdie , and other lovely streamers.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

PhazonLink posted:

lol at google training its AI on DarkSidePhil and pewpewdie , and other lovely streamers.

Oh so stadia will preemptively fail to block in fighting games?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Thanks for moving me out of cover so I could be shot, you stupid piece of poo poo.

It's more responsive, but they're all incorrect ones.

That's not necessarily that stupid if you have more compute that you can handle.

Off the cuff design: Predict the 5 most likely inputs and advance the game for each in parallel. Once the actual input comes in, drop the mispredicted branches and keep going with a head start. Every once in a while, you'll hit a complete bad prediction and have to restart the frame. As long as the failure rate is underneath, say, 10%, it's worthwhile, and brings down the average input-to-framebuffer latency dramatically, at the cost of occasional jitter. There's always a tradeoff.

Of course, the real latency people care about is input-to-photon, but that's not what they are talking about here.

CPUs have been doing something similar at the instruction-level for decades.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 9, 2019

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Getting back to using "the power of the cloud" to improve games

it's the xbone release all over again folks

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
As a massive button masher, no AI is ever going to predict my inputs.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anonumos posted:

As a massive button masher, no AI is ever going to predict my inputs.

Your actions are pseudorandom at best meatbag

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Aramis posted:

That's not necessarily that stupid if you have more compute that you can handle.

Off the cuff design: Predict the 5 most likely inputs and advance the game for each in parallel. Once the actual input comes in, drop the mispredicted branches and keep going with a head start. Every once in a while, you'll hit a complete bad prediction and have to restart the frame. As long as the failure rate is underneath, say, 10%, it's worthwhile, and brings down the average input-to-framebuffer latency dramatically, at the cost of occasional jitter. There's always a tradeoff.

Of course, the real latency people care about is input-to-photon, but that's not what they are talking about here.

I'm not sure that branch prediction really scales up to macro-level stuff like this. The occasional jitter that you're talking about would be way, way more disruptive to gameplay and more apparent to players than typical latency.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It'll just be Twitch Plays All Your Games

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not sure that branch prediction really scales up to macro-level stuff like this. The occasional jitter that you're talking about would be way, way more disruptive to gameplay and more apparent to players than typical latency.

I tend to agree that it's a bit of a longshot, but I could see a model pairing narrowing down a controller's probable action space enough to brute force your way through. Say what you will about Google as a corporation, but from an engineering perspective, thumbing their nose at "I'm not sure that _________ really scales up" and just going for it anyways is pretty much their MO.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Aramis posted:

I tend to agree that it's a bit of a longshot, but I could see a model pairing narrowing down a controller's probable action space enough to brute force your way through. Say what you will about Google as a corporation, but from an engineering perspective, thumbing their nose at "I'm not sure that _________ really scales up" and just going for it anyways is pretty much their MO.

The fact that they can do it at the speed of input * number of inputs * possible inputs is troubling... pairing it down to games means its been applied just about everywhere else already. Just trying it out will give them the data set they need to improve. Maybe they are just looking for a data set large enough to test new improvements. AI development makes me uneasy when you look at the problems that are being attempted and go "Holy poo poo, that means XYZ has already been solved."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aramis posted:

Ah yes, the "spend five times more resources for a marginal quality improvement" approach. I can see that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So what happens if I am option selecting my negative edge piano lightning kicks? What then?

I want to see the algorithm auto-parry everything because, obviously, I'm not just spazzing on the stick trying to survive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aramis posted:

I don’t they have any intention of it working well.

They had the idea and they’re claiming the press and the patents and that’s where it ends.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

aware of dog posted:

Finally, I CAN blame it on the controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

aware of dog posted:

Finally a legitimate excuse for being bad at video games.