Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Jesus, just let her do what she wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My eccentric girlfriend (26 F) has told my family that we are "lovers". I (28 M) am so embarrassed.

Lover actually doesn't mean person you are having sex with, it just means someone you are in a romantic relationship that is more significant than boyfriend/girlfriend but not married, it lost favor to "partner" not too long ago.

Talk to any gay man over the age of say, 55? and you will hear them use "lover" casually. I mean, yes, obviously they were loving too, it's gay men, but that is not what it is meant to connotate.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

The Bramble posted:

Trolling: not even once.

My wife’s internet posting got me fired

Why didn't he just deny to his boss that the reddit account was his? :confused:

of course at will employment and no job protection lol but if he's a good employee otherwise his boss might've believed him.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to support my daughter's career ambitions?

I am a doctor and my husband is an accountant. Our daughter Lily is 18 and wants to be a doctor like mumma, and is working on her university application, but I don't think medicine is a good fit for her.

Let me start by saying I'm not saying this because I don't think she could achieve it. She absolutely could. She is studying A levels in biology, chemistry and history, and is top of the class in the first two and near the top in the third. She has always been a bright kid and we are very proud of her.

That said, although she has the aptitude for it, I don't think it would be a good fit for her personality wise. She is, unfortunately, very lazy and her intellect is very much natural talent. She does not revise at all. Her routine on schoolnights is to come home, and immediately get changed and go out to smoke weed with her friends, and going to sleep as soon as she gets home. She doesn't make much of an effort in school and has a bit of a truancy problem.

We and her teachers were convinced that this was because the work was too easy and she wasn't being challenged, but when she completed work tasks early they trialled giving her more advanced university-level material and relevant tasks, but even that failed to stimulate her once she learned the material and was able to complete the tasks. Husband and I agree that the problem isn't that she isn't being challenged, but that she is hedonistic and enjoys her easy life. That's great, but medicine isn't a career which requires only intellect. It requires a lot of hours, dedication and sacrifice, and since Lily is too used to simply using her talents to coast by I'm worried it will hit her hard when she starts working.

Also, while I'm sure we've all met a nasty doctor or nurse in the past, generally the health field is one which you need a good deal of empathy and care for others to thrive in. Lily can be lovely, but she also has a mean streak. A few years back we got calls from the school a few times about Lily getting into trouble for bullying. Nothing extremely serious, but serious enough that the school felt the need to inform us which they don't do for minor issues.

I've been in the industry long enough to know that the young ones who try to bring that ''popular kid'' mentality onto the hospital floor either crash and burn after not too long or go on to inflict serious damage to their patients and colleagues. I don't want either of those outcomes happening to my daughter.

Lately I've been trying to convince Lily to change her mind. With her talents, she could do really well in something like research, but she is adamant on becoming a doctor. Yesterday we had a discussion about it which turned to an argument, and she ended up crying in my husband's arms saying I don't believe she's good enough to be a doctor, which isn't true at all.

Husband and I had a long talk, and he's convinced that I should let her follow her dreams like I got to do, but I'm just not sure it's the right thing.

So what talk her into being a surgeon or anesthesiologist. Don't need a good bedside manner if your patients are unconscious. Although if she's lazy this seems like a problem that will take care of itself so fake support her in the meantime.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Mom just doesn't want to be usurped.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Mom flabbergasted that an 18 year old already getting A grades in everything would want to hang and smoke weed instead of pursuing ever more "challenging" things before even getting to college.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
so what.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

"I've raised my daughter to be spoiled and difficult by removing every obstacle from her life that I could. Lately she's gotten old enough to make choices that is foresee involve her confronting obstacles I cannot control and her entitled attitude will likely cause her to fail. Can anyone help me talk her out putting herself in a situation where she might burst her own bubble? Thanks."

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chomp8645 posted:

If OP tells his girlfriend right away what happened, he'll probably be ok. Just be "listen uh... some poo poo went down last night..." and just let her know what happened honestly. If he's up front about it and discloses it quickly I think most reasonable people would believe him.

But yeah lol if he says nothing and she finds out through the grapevine later, there is no way she'll believe than everyone ran train on this girl except him.

Even if she did, she'd probably leave him for doing nothing about it after the fact.

I would definitely tell my SO about that poo poo as soon as I got home and then figure out with her if we're about to light our social circle on fire (I would).

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Found a sad one... Couldn't bring myself to post it. Here's something light.

Older brother [24M] lives at home and claims he can't do housework because "nobody taught him." Our mom is a single mom and never home. What can I do?

quote:

Ok I'm 17 and next year I'm leaving for college so this is just temporary. Anyways my older brother is just a useless human being. I'm sorry to say. He's 24, has never held a real job, and flunked out of college for never going to classes. He has "depression" but basically refuses to get it diagnosed or treated. My mom is a single mom working two shifts every day and she cannot wrangle a full grown man like my brother anymore. So she lets him do what he wants as long as he can pay a small piece of rent.

So he works with friends doing god knows what. He's home around 2pm every day and he will always tear apart the fridge looking for food, microwave some gross stuff, then drop the dirty plates in the sink. He makes SUCH A MESS everywhere he goes it's absolutely disgusting. I've asked him to just wash his own dishes but he acts like I'm asking him to cut his own hands off. It's gotten really bad and we fight most days. Recently he made this LOOOOONG facebook post about how it's not his fault he never learned how to wash dishes or clean his room or not be a pig human because his brain just isn't wired like that. He went on to point out how when regular people were being taught to clean and cook, he was busy learning programming or whatever and being a total genius about it, so not knowing how to take care of himself isn't a flaw, it's just because he has better things to do?

Anyways he tagged me specifically in the post as if to rat me out to all of his friends. Then soooo many people kept sympathizing with him about how he's not a failure for not understanding how dish soap works, because he's sooo smart in every other aspect. It made me sick. My mom is tired and sick honestly most late nights when she gets home and I don't want to trouble her too much, because she just had cancer last year and I don't think this is the kind of problem she should be hearing. However, I want to confront my brother in a way where he doesn't get to run to his online friends and ask for pity. What can I do?

tldr Older brother is basically a garbage person. Lives in filth and leaves messes for me and my mom to clean. I called him out and he wrote a long fb post about how his brain isn't wired for "basic tasks" as if they're below him. My mom is too much of a sick zombie to do much, but what can I do?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure there are instructional youtube videos explaining how to do anything you could possibly imagine. There's no excuse to not know how to do something basic in this day and age.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not giving the source of my beaded earrings to a white woman?

I was born on a Res and lived there for most of my life until going to college in a nearby state. In my community, we have a number of talented women who are amazing at beading. They make some truly remarkable stuff. Caveat is that they will only sell or trade to other people from the community, and possibly another tribal group. It's just how they do it.

I have 30 or so pairs of all kinds and wear them with pride. Almost every day I wear a brick stitch earring of some kind, it's just part of who I am, where I'm from, etc. Brings me a lot of joy.

Anyway a woman at work has really fallen in love with them. She compliments them and examines them. No issue there. Lots of people do. One day recently though, she asked me where I got them and if the person has an "Etsy" shop or something where she can buy her own. This woman is white with not a drop of the heritage in her, by her own admission.

Now... personally I have no issue with white people wearing the earrings! It's not about that. Wear whatever you want. But the women in my community do not sell them to outsiders (again, for the most part). It's just not done.

I told her no, and she asked for the contact information so she could commission a pair. I told her no again, that the person who makes them is very particular about who she makes them for. She kept pressing me, telling me "Well let her make that decision!" and stuff like that.

I got tired of this and told her, point blank, this person will not create or sell anything for you because you are white. She got extremely upset and threatened to make a statement to HR about me being racially discriminating.

AITA?

My reasoning is that if she wants beaded earrings, she can learn to make them herself, she can buy them from anyone else (there are so many white women on etsy who make "boho style" earrings), etc. She is merely upset because this one person will not cater to her.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I went to the college that my daughter just got rejected by?

My daughter is a high school senior is in the process of applying to colleges. She was procrastinating and panicking about applying to her number one choice. I thought she had a very good chance of getting in. To motivate her I applied as a joke kinda as the application fee was waived for me and raced her, but still not rushing her to make sure her application and essays were top notch. We both applied at similar times. I got my acceptance letter and told my daughter that if I got accepted then she's a shoe-in.

Then my daughter got her rejection letter. My wife and I consoled her, but she was very upset. Me applying and getting accepted certainly didn't help. We helped her apply to other colleges and are still waiting to hear back from them. Then I got email from the admissions office saying that I qualified for their unique student program and would have tuition waived. Now I'm seriously considering going to college.

I took a gap year after high school where my wife (girlfriend then) got pregnant while she was in school. I decided to enter the workforce and take care of my daughter (the same one) while my wife attended college. My wife graduated and got a well paying job while I worked an entry level job and did some "stay-at-home dad" work. I still work my job and we could definitely survive off my wife's income, but I work to keep myself busy. I don't hate my job, but I don't love it and it's not what I imagined myself doing. I think this opportunity to go to college would be great for not only me, but my whole family. Ideally, my income with my degree would be much greater than it is now. The college is in commuting distance so I wouldn't have to get an apartment. I talked to my wife about it and she's unsure. She said it'd be great for me to go to college, but it'd be rude of me to attend the college that rejected our daughter. WIBTA if I attended the college that rejected my daughter?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

He might be the rear end in a top hat but he should do it what a loving opportunity. Free. loving. College.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My daughter is a high school senior is in the process of applying to colleges. She was procrastinating and panicking about applying to her number one choice. I thought she had a very good chance of getting in. To motivate her I applied as a joke kinda as the application fee was waived for me and raced her, but still not rushing her to make sure her application and essays were top notch. We both applied at similar times. I got my acceptance letter and told my daughter that if I got accepted then she's a shoe-in.

Then my daughter got her rejection letter. My wife and I consoled her, but she was very upset. Me applying and getting accepted certainly didn't help. We helped her apply to other colleges and are still waiting to hear back from them. Then I got email from the admissions office saying that I qualified for their unique student program and would have tuition waived. Now I'm seriously considering going to college.

I took a gap year after high school where my wife (girlfriend then) got pregnant while she was in school. I decided to enter the workforce and take care of my daughter (the same one) while my wife attended college. My wife graduated and got a well paying job while I worked an entry level job and did some "stay-at-home dad" work. I still work my job and we could definitely survive off my wife's income, but I work to keep myself busy. I don't hate my job, but I don't love it and it's not what I imagined myself doing. I think this opportunity to go to college would be great for not only me, but my whole family. Ideally, my income with my degree would be much greater than it is now. The college is in commuting distance so I wouldn't have to get an apartment. I talked to my wife about it and she's unsure. She said it'd be great for me to go to college, but it'd be rude of me to attend the college that rejected our daughter. WIBTA if I attended the college that rejected my daughter?

oof

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

rear end in a top hat move sure, but dude gets free education. I'd do it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Chomp8645 posted:

Mom flabbergasted that an 18 year old already getting A grades in everything would want to hang and smoke weed instead of pursuing ever more "challenging" things before even getting to college.

She's not going to be the first smart kid to have a rude awakening at Much Bigger Pond University. Until that happens, good luck convincing her of her own academic mortality.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

My girlfriend [23F] is raging angry because I [23M] slept with someone else when I thought we were broken up.

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together as boyfriend and girlfriend since we were 15, 8 years now. We were both the first people we'd ever slept with and have been together since then.

Since we kind of matured together along with our relationship, it was basically a high school romance that turned into a real serious relationship.

We were out for dinner on a date last weekend, and we started talking about things and about marriage. I told her what I'd said before, that I don't really want marriage, at least not now, its not a thing for me. If I do go down that way, I'd at least want it in my thirties. She started insisting that what she wants is a marriage and she wants it now or at least a promise that it will happen soon. I told her I couldn't promise that, its not for me, its not something I want. She accused me of being selfish and we got into a big fight and argument.

I then got a text from my sister that my dad was in hospital; I told my girlfriend I had to go. She wanted to resolve the marriage thing now and for me to say I'll commit to a marriage some day now, I told her no I couldn't do that, and I had to go now it was urgent. She said if you leave now, we're through, I told her sorry I had to go. She was crying and very angry and the whole night was ruined but I had to go to the hospital to see my dad.

I got there and things weren't that serious, he was being discharged shortly after I got there, everything was fine. I tried to call my girlfriend, she wouldn't answer.

Next morning I tried to call her again, but then I got some texts from her saying we're through and she never wants to see me again, our relationship is over, she doesn't want to have anything to do with me, we're done. I called her and she answered this time and she pretty much reiterated what she said.

I was devastated and in a state of shock, I was really miserable. I went to my friends house and my friends were comforting me, telling me everything's okay, I'm better off without her, I don't need her, she's not worth my time. They told me they were gonna take me out and were gonna make sure I had a good time and could forget about her. We ended up going to some bars and clubs, but I didn't really have it in me to hit on any girls, but I ended up sleeping with one of the female friends that had gone out with us. The next morning I thanked her and all that and we said it was just a one night thing, we wouldn't let it impact our friendship.

Things were going okay for 2 days when I got another call from my girlfriend, we talked a bit and said she was sorry for our fight and for her shouting at me. She said she didn't mean it when she said we were done, she was just caught up in the moment and was angry, she expected that I would have gotten that. So our relationship resumed.

The next day after that I decided to open up to her about what happened on the day we talked on the phone and how I had slept with my female friend that day. She was devastated and started crying, shouting at me. She accused me of cheating and being an rear end in a top hat, I told her I did nothing wrong I thought we were broken up, she said I should have known we weren't, as if I am supposed to somehow read her mind.

She's been basically trying to guilt me this entire time and has told me I HAVE to give up that close circle of friends I went out with that day, I told her I can't do that, but she's insisting on it. She keeps saying "you're the one who cheated, not me" and keeps questioning if she can be with me after I cheated, even though its ridiculous to say that I cheated.

Am I in the wrong here? Is she right in saying I cheated and I'm an rear end in a top hat? Or is she just being crazy and I should not get back with her? Or should I agree to what she's saying and try to make things work?

tl;dr: Girlfriend broke up with me, I slept with someone else, she said she didn't "really" break up with me, she was just angry. Is angry at me and calling me a cheater.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

My girlfriend [23F] is raging angry because I [23M] slept with someone else when I thought we were broken up.

Hah! Break up with her, and say you'll take her back in a week. Then don't.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
rejected daughter can transfer in later if she's dedicated. it sucks but colleges will jump through hoops to admit promising non-traditional students. dad just had an easier path of it. he might even be able to get friendly with an advisor and try to get his kid a good recommendation, or at least some good advice

neither party is really an rear end in a top hat here, they're just inexperienced and going through an inevitable and mutual breakup from a relationship which has clearly run its course

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Beachcomber posted:

Lol if things you did when you were 8-18 don't regularly pop into your head randomly and embarrass you so much you want to slit your throat.

:emptyquote:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not giving the source of my beaded earrings to a white woman?

I was born on a Res and lived there for most of my life until going to college in a nearby state. In my community, we have a number of talented women who are amazing at beading. They make some truly remarkable stuff. Caveat is that they will only sell or trade to other people from the community, and possibly another tribal group. It's just how they do it.

I have 30 or so pairs of all kinds and wear them with pride. Almost every day I wear a brick stitch earring of some kind, it's just part of who I am, where I'm from, etc. Brings me a lot of joy.

Anyway a woman at work has really fallen in love with them. She compliments them and examines them. No issue there. Lots of people do. One day recently though, she asked me where I got them and if the person has an "Etsy" shop or something where she can buy her own. This woman is white with not a drop of the heritage in her, by her own admission.

Now... personally I have no issue with white people wearing the earrings! It's not about that. Wear whatever you want. But the women in my community do not sell them to outsiders (again, for the most part). It's just not done.

I told her no, and she asked for the contact information so she could commission a pair. I told her no again, that the person who makes them is very particular about who she makes them for. She kept pressing me, telling me "Well let her make that decision!" and stuff like that.

I got tired of this and told her, point blank, this person will not create or sell anything for you because you are white. She got extremely upset and threatened to make a statement to HR about me being racially discriminating.

AITA?

My reasoning is that if she wants beaded earrings, she can learn to make them herself, she can buy them from anyone else (there are so many white women on etsy who make "boho style" earrings), etc. She is merely upset because this one person will not cater to her.

Not an rear end in a top hat, and she handled it fine, but it might have gone a bit easier if she'd said it more like in the post. "They're not just earrings, it's a cultural/religious thing for my people and they're not for sale to people outside that community" might have gotten a better response. But yeah the coworker lady has been informed and she needs to drop it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WE WERE ON A BREAK!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Uncle Enzo posted:

Not an rear end in a top hat, and she handled it fine, but it might have gone a bit easier if she'd said it more like in the post. "They're not just earrings, it's a cultural/religious thing for my people and they're not for sale to people outside that community" might have gotten a better response. But yeah the coworker lady has been informed and she needs to drop it.

lotta white people on reddit think that if you don't sell them stuff from your tribe you're a racist

colonizer mentality is some wild poo poo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MarcusSA posted:

WE WERE ON A BREAK!

This wasn't even a break, she told him they were through permanently.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

lotta white people on reddit think that if you don't sell them stuff from your tribe you're a racist

colonizer mentality is some wild poo poo

She's definitely NTA, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if HR decided that she was actually the Real Racist.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Bramble posted:

Trolling: not even once.

My wife’s internet posting got me fired

your wife is her true self on the internet. :sever:

snergle fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 9, 2019

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting pissed off at being called a “Karen?”

I’ll try and keep this brief. I met my roommate “Nicole” late July through mutual friends last July and she moved in August 1st when my old roommate moved out for grad school. Nicole seemed very sweet but we’re definitely more friendly than friends. She is subleasing so she pays rent directly to me on a month to month basis. She’s not on the lease and I told her that she could move out as long as she gave me a month’s notice.

Her boyfriend, “Blake” is another story. He’s around at the apartment a lot, which is usually fine by me because I’m either at work or at my boyfriend’s a lot of the time. But Blake is a real rear end in a top hat; he knows I’m a feminist and is always trying to get a rise out of me and tease me even when we really are not close like that. I try to be polite but he is just kind of awful.

So last night, I was in my room when I saw I was overcharged for an electricity bill. It was almost double the usual amount. I went to the living room where Nicole and Blake were watching TV and I asked her about it. She said she didn’t know why so I went back to my room and called ConEd. The first representative was incompetent so I asked to speak with her manager; I was annoyed at the time but I wasn’t yelling. At no point did I raise my voice. The manager helped resolve the issue.

I went back to the kitchen and got a drink. Blake told me that I sounded like “a real Karen” on the phone. I never heard this before so I asked what it meant. He said a “Karen” is someone who gets annoyed and asks to speak to a manager. I told him “sounds like sexist bullshit.” And he asked why I couldn’t take a joke and told me that he wasn’t sexist blahblahblah. So i told him “Maybe when you get a job and move out of your parents’ house and start paying your own bills, you’ll understand why it sucks to be overcharged.” I know this wasn’t the nicest thing to say but imo he definitely deserved it. He BLEW UP. He called me “toxic” and I rolled my eyes, which only further aggravated him. It was honestly pathetic. It was like a large toddler throwing a tantrum. Ag no point did I actually fear for my safety. Blake and I went back and forth for a bit but Nicole just sat there silently, which I also viewed as pathetic. Then he and Nicole left.

Well today while I’m at work, Nicole sent me a text saying that she’s going to move out because she doesn’t want to be around such a “toxic” person as me and that she didn’t want blake to constantly feel like he’s “walking on eggshells” when he visits the apartment. I told her that it was fine if she moved out; she already paid her October rent. I feel like it’s pretty obvious that she’s just parroting Blake’s language about me being “Toxic” but I’m annoyed because now I have to find a new roommate. I want some outside perspective as to whether I was the rear end in a top hat here.

This lady sounds like a real Karen. I’ll bet she has the hair. There’s also no way things went exactly as described by this Karen, and I’m sure there’s months of context missing. Given lack of evidence though, assholeness is indeterminate.

Also, not getting angry and not raising your voice is exactly how people who get angry and raise their voice describe their conduct on calls to customer support. My dad does this Ducks do this. If someone on the phone requests that you calm down or stop raising your voice, maybe take the hint.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Uncle Enzo posted:

Yeah, like, it's not a specifically white* thing, but it sounds like OP tried to get that across and her coworker kept pushing.

* I'm definitely not discounting the specific, rightful resentment Native American communities have towards the white people that broke treaties and hosed them over, but it sounds like any outsider would have a very slim chance of getting any of this authentic work.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Chomp8645 posted:

I'd bet on ADD. The mum says the kid aces school with no prep and is able to do university level stuff, but after they can do it they lose interest.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Flip Yr Wig posted:

She's definitely NTA, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if HR decided that she was actually the Real Racist.

I just love that little hat and that tasselled apron thing you always wear, male Jewish coworker! I insist you tell me where to buy my very own!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, like, it's not a specifically white* thing, but it sounds like OP tried to get that across and her coworker kept pushing.

* I'm definitely not discounting the specific, rightful resentment Native American communities have towards the white people that broke treaties and hosed them over, but it sounds like any outsider would have a very slim chance of getting any of this authentic work.

it is, on the other hand, definitely a very historically white person thing to see something pretty that belongs to some indigenous group and to insist on being able to have it by whatever means necessary

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mr. Lobe posted:

it is, on the other hand, definitely a very white person thing to see something pretty that belongs to some indigenous group and to insist on being able to have it by whatever means necessary
Oh, absolutely. I feel like someone from a group more used to being appropriated would be a bit more understanding, although not always.

I also feel like if coworker had been able to contact the artist she'd probably have gotten a much ruder refusal, and good riddance.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pvt.Scott posted:

This lady sounds like a real Karen. I’ll bet she has the hair. There’s also no way things went exactly as described by this Karen, and I’m sure there’s months of context missing. Given lack of evidence though, assholeness is indeterminate.

Also, not getting angry and not raising your voice is exactly how people who get angry and raise their voice describe their conduct on calls to customer support. My dad does this Ducks do this. If someone on the phone requests that you calm down or stop raising your voice, maybe take the hint.

"She's definitely the rear end in a top hat if she lied about the whole story and also a bunch of stuff I made up also happened " is the weirdest take and I don't understand why it keeps cropping up

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the real karen move is picking a fight with your girlfriend's roommate in her own home about how she resolves billing disputes with the power company

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is your power provider even going to give you a discount if they didn't legit gently caress up? They're a monopoly, it's not like you can just plug into another competing power grid.

Also I will never forgive white cowboys for appropriating chaps (all chaps are assless) and the hanky code.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

cumshitter posted:

Is your power provider even going to give you a discount if they didn't legit gently caress up? They're a monopoly, it's not like you can just plug into another competing power grid.

Also I will never forgive white cowboys for appropriating chaps (all chaps are assless) and the hanky code.

I imagine they will only relent if they figure that the number of paid manhours it is going to take to handle your bullshit as you try to climb up the chain of managers is more than whatever bill you are contesting.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (21 F) matched with a guy on Tinder who looks like European nobility...do you think he is real or fake?

So I was swiping on Tinder and I matched with a young guy who dresses like those people in period films, or like the British royals. (I don't know his age because he has Tinder Gold and used a feature to hide it.) In his photos he drives vintage cars and is inside a mansion with a giant oil painting of a queen/princess in the background. This is his bio:

"I’ll be more than surprised if you can find what my family does for a living. Tips: law, hotels, family and stock market.

I have a soft spot for gin, scotch, tiny blonde girls, and brunettes, but I don’t discriminate.

I’ve been on the cover of 3 British magazines.

New York, Washington D.C. | Jasper, Calgary, Ottawa, Quebec, Vancouver | London, Edinburgh"

Do you think he is too good to be true?? Is this a catfish? I thought rich people had a separate Tinder

It's just such a funny thing to see. I joked to him that I'm just a commoner, he said I'm a cute commoner. He seems really nice and not arrogant.

TL;DR: Matched with a seemingly rich aristocratic guy, could a person like this be legit or fake?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Husband is attempting to divorce me in the worst way possible...

I have posted before about my marital woes. Our marriage has quickly crumbled in the last 3 months and now my husband is going nuclear. It appears he is attempting to do a "slow fade" as a way of communicating with me that our marriage is over.

Some of his tactics:

- Every night after 8 pm he stops taking my calls and does not answer any texts. Sometime around 3 or 4 am he will text me some bull poo poo excuse, "fell asleep on my desk," "no signal", " going to grab my keys from the office" etc.

- He will arrive home a mess. Shirt unbuttoned, boxers worn inside out, wedding wrong off, lipstick on undershirt, hair messed up, drunk as hell. When I ask where was he and why he didn't respond to my calls he will start screaming and yell at me calling me a "psycho bitch." When I ask if he was with another woman he will look at me, say "you are crazy" and literally give me an evil smirk and start laughing. When I ask specific questions he will give nonsensical crazy answers and start laughing. He will then suddenly turn sharp and yell at me, "GO TO BED AND LEAVE ME ALONE" and crash on the couch.

- When he gets home after midnight, he will sit outside in our car and play on his phone and call, I'm assuming, one of his multiple women. I go outside and ask him to come inside and he tells me to go away and that he doesn't want to see my face.

I know this is crazy but I am so scared and confused. I have been worried if he has mental health issues and attempted to get him to see his doctor to get an evaluation but he keeps missing his appointments. I am so crushed because I love this man, or how he used to be and am utterly confused by his sudden malice and contempt towards me. Should I walk away?

TLDR; Husband has been acting erratic, crazy and mean in an attempt to drive me away. I am heartbroken and cant seem to leave. what do I do?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Lol of course reddit voted this lady as an rear end in a top hat.

:siren:If you ask a coworker something and they keep giving you vague answers loving drop it!:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Danaru posted:

"She's definitely the rear end in a top hat if she lied about the whole story and also a bunch of stuff I made up also happened " is the weirdest take and I don't understand why it keeps cropping up

Probably because people subconsciously leave stuff out of stories and soften their actions or the language they used in order to look better. It’s not even really lying by omission when you don’t do it on purpose, it’s a human brain bug/feature.

I am, of course, simply projecting my own experiences with people onto the situation. I was less taking issue with the OP than flailing ineffectually at the platonic ur-Karen strawman, whose imperfect reflections I have had the pleasure of encountering. This is not fair to the OP, so I will cop to that.

I am posting on GBS as a straight white male though, so I wouldn’t rule out raging misogyny as the reason.