Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's not even close to being right but i'm going to say. the homing missile things from meat boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Skypie posted:

VG, I gotta ask. You seem like a good person and you've always been level headed when it comes to addressing issues in your forums

So what's your secret? Huh?! :tinfoil: Are you the guy who always leaves the empty toilet paper roll in the bathroom? Do you use recipes by Simply Sarah like that 4 billion calorie macaroni salad? Do you refuse to call dogs "good boy?"

My secret is loving chili and playing video games! :)

Nowadays I just like to be as polite and helpful as possible. However Rarity is correct. I am Kirby and I am the fabled eater of worlds and one day in the far far future it shall be my calling to swallow the earth. :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

My secret is loving chili and playing video games! :)

Nowadays I just like to be as polite and helpful as possible. However Rarity is correct. I am Kirby and I am the fabled eater of worlds and one day in the far far future it shall be my calling to swallow the earth. :3:

Okay but what's your stance on chili dogs?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol at games being cheaper to make next generation.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what enemy do you think has killed you more than any other?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ugh, everybody dogpiling some indie developers because their game looks like cuphead really grinds my gears.

Most of these people probably don't even like cuphead but they're still gonna poo poo on these indie devs.

You have any idea how much effort animation like that takes??

I loathe the belief so many have that the "idea" means you deserve millions of dollars. Its so toxic. Ideas are cheap. Everybody has ideas. Implementation is everything!

All fps games used to be called doom clones.

Everything about the game is ripped shamelessly from Cuphead except the quality of the animations

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really not that uncommon in games at all.

Mario, sonic. Doom, duke nukem. Gradius, R-Type, Silvergun, etc. etc.

Seriously

None of those examples are like this though?

Like Sonic isn't actually the same game as Mario with the same art style. Duke Nukem doesn't look anything like Doom. You could make the argument for generic 2D space shooters but that's about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

so in the complete history of video games what enemy do y'all think has killed the most players

i think hammer bros are up there

fukken BULLSHIT LAG god DAMNit

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

perhaps if the games are cheaper to make, they will be cheaper to buy

truly us gamers will reap the rewards

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You have any idea how much effort animation like that takes??

I'd assume this was their main motivation for cribbing as much of Cuphead as possible

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Looper posted:

what enemy do you think has killed you more than any other?

With how many hours I have put into sniper on TF2, I assume the spy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just in case someone hasn't seen this shitshow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArsAhPTdbuU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Remember when Uncharted 4 was going to play at 60fps?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relax Or DIE posted:

so in the complete history of video games what enemy do y'all think has killed the most players

Defias Pillager #1 slayer of men.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Remember when Uncharted 4 was going to play at 60fps?

Yeah, Naughty Dog was all smug when people were in disbelief at the claim

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty sure zaphod isn't arguing in good faith that he legitimately can't tell the difference between candy crush and bandy brush on the ios app store and both their hardworking dev teams deserve our love and support

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

Giant bullet

Bed sores

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Man I actually forgot when ND was saying UC4 would run at 60fps. Wow.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i know we're way past halo chat, but the books were good, especially the child spartans that were literally bred to die, because spartans never die, they needed special spartans to go on a suicide mission.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samuringa posted:

An actual good comment for that video brings up a really salient point about how bad it is; it stole Cuphead's big band soundtrack when it doesn't even fit the magical setting of the game at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hwurmp posted:

I'd assume this was their main motivation for cribbing as much of Cuphead as possible

Sure, the heretic devs copied doom because making an fps was intimidating already.

If they stole any cuphead art I'd say gently caress em, but if they draw everything themselves by hand??? That's fine.

Cowcaster posted:

pretty sure zaphod isn't arguing in good faith that he legitimately can't tell the difference between candy crush and bandy brush on the ios app store and both their hardworking dev teams deserve our love and support

I am arguing in good faith, please kindly never suggest that again.

And I never said anything about candy crush, cowcaster. You're the one arguing in bad faith here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Ooh, a new game by the developer of Cuphe.... *checks notes* oooooh :stare:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Woof. The scene with the witch looks almost competent and somewhat Cuphead-esque, but the spaceship scene looks terrible and the cow boss looks like it could have come from a modern-day Matt Groening production. And why are they being so mean to Princess Peach?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

An actual good comment for that video brings up a really salient point about how bad it is; it stole Cuphead's big band soundtrack when it doesn't even fit the magical setting of the game at all.

30s style art matches big band in cuphead but another game with the same art style doesn't?

Its not like cuphead invented the 30s. Wonder how many of these people have never seen old cartoons.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

nice to see the dendy is still getting support

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Volte posted:

Woof. The scene with the witch looks almost competent and somewhat Cuphead-esque, but the spaceship scene looks terrible and the cow boss looks like it could have come from a modern-day Matt Groening production. And why are they being so mean to Princess Peach?

Its still a work in progress and they're indies and games are HARD?

IDK you obviously don't have to love it but don't poo poo on them for existing, you know?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Me: I don’t know if I’m really interested in Indivisible.

Also me: Where the gently caress is my backer code?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LawfulWaffle posted:

I got mine yesterday

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its still a work in progress and they're indies and games are HARD?

IDK you obviously don't have to love it but don't poo poo on them for existing, you know?
did you back this on fig or something, these posts are exhausting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This is one the times I wish I did back it, but oh wells.. thats' what I get for being broke at the time. Indivisible.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

LawfulWaffle posted:

why the heck did you back it if you weren't interested in it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's nothing wrong with being a cuphead copycat but there's also nothing wrong with people going "oh so it's cuphead but worse" when they see it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's one of those knockoffs made to sell to people without access to the actual Cuphead.

Unfortunately for the developer that doesn't include the Switch any more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd be fine with a cuphead copycat, and for sure cuphead doesn't have a monopoly on 30s cartoons.

But the gameplay on display looks considerably worse than cuphead so

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When is Cuphead but the style is 90s nicktoons coming out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

surely there was a gameboy advance game that qualifies

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

VideoGames posted:

I am Kirby and I am the fabled eater of worlds and one day in the far far future it shall be my calling to swallow the earth. :3:

could you do me a big favor and get this knocked out by the end of the week, tia

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the copycat game looks fine, with pretty great visuals and honestly could care less that it's a copycat. It's not like it means they put that much less work into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

When is Cuphead but the style is 90s nicktoons coming out
if you have macromedia shockwave and a time machine i have good news