Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

queserasera posted:

Isn't Bill Watterson a recluse who despises those Calvin peeing/praying decals?

Lives in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and all the local townsfolk will rally against any journalist or fan who tries to track him down.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, he specifically hated seeing all the suction cup plush Garfields inside other peoples cars. He never sold or authorized merchandise except for books of his comic strips.

He specifically refuses to allow any Hobbes dolls because he doesn't want to ruin the magical ambiguity of whether he is a soft toy or a real tiger because that would ruin it for children,

Basically, he is the exact inverse of Jim Davis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
twist: watterson and davis are the same person

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
will botterson. don javis. and the far side guy, nikolai sarkovski, all live in dracula's lunar castle. with elvis.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One thing Adams did write a book about was how accurate the Peter Principle was, but couching it in examples of his worklife, pre-Dilbert, with the odd Dilbert strip, and he called it the Dilbert Principle.

Creative man, that Scott Adams. It's made funnier by the fact that the Peter Principle is primarily buoyed by the idea that incompetent people tend to fail upwards because you don't want them doing actual work, yet he openly supports Trump and makes excuses for him, despite Trump being a guy who's been failing upwards/sideways his whole life.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One thing Adams did write a book about was how accurate the Peter Principle was, but couching it in examples of his worklife, pre-Dilbert, with the odd Dilbert strip, and he called it the Dilbert Principle.

Creative man, that Scott Adams. It's made funnier by the fact that the Peter Principle is primarily buoyed by the idea that incompetent people tend to fail upwards because you don't want them doing actual work, yet he openly supports Trump and makes excuses for him, despite Trump being a guy who's been failing upwards/sideways his whole life.

Having enjoyed that book and comparing it to everything he did and said after it, I'd always assumed he'd had some kind of head trauma that changed his personality for the worse.

After all he did forget how to talk for a year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

There is no way Larson isn't brainwormed.

We’ll get to find out soon, there’s going to be new online Far Side stuff.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm ready for antifa supersoldier Gary Larson

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Peter Principle is when you get promoted until your duties are no longer what you've actually been doing most of your career and aren't necessarily any good at management, Dilbert Principle is when idiots get promoted specifically so they're no longer doing the important work.

Of course it's all obfuscating that the managerial class are all just rich failsons enjoying the nepotism network.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adams can't empathize with anyone else. When he was a worker he was in favor of workers. Once he was rich he was in favor of management. His entire support of Trump is tied up in injured pride and spite. He's just selfish.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, he specifically hated seeing all the suction cup plush Garfields inside other peoples cars. He never sold or authorized merchandise except for books of his comic strips.

I read an article when he retired that was basically 3 pages of the author making GBS threads on Jim Davis for being a sellout and talking about how perfect C&H is.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sounds like a bituva jerkbag.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think there's confusion because a "watterson is dead" article DEFINITELY went around.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pick posted:

I think there's confusion because a "watterson is dead" article DEFINITELY went around.

Death rumours are practically a rite of passage when it comes to fame

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

especially when you vanish as completely as he did. for like a decade no one could even find him.

turns out he lives at the lake calvin vacationed at nowadays

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A couple of C&H strips are based on his arguments with the syndicate about licensing. The people at the syndicate basically thought he was a stubborn rear end in a top hat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

A couple of C&H strips are based on his arguments with the syndicate about licensing. The people at the syndicate basically thought he was a stubborn rear end in a top hat.
Yeah but they sucked. Watterson was the stubbon perfectionist artist who was so drat good and popular that he still got his way, and he didn't use that power to have sex with underage girls or promote racism or whatever other poo poo terrible assholes do, he used it to change his Sunday panel options.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Who was the political cartoonist who lamented he couldn't get shot at work by terrorists because newspapers don't hire enough cartoonists anymore?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Shut up Meg posted:

Having enjoyed that book and comparing it to everything he did and said after it, I'd always assumed he'd had some kind of head trauma that changed his personality for the worse.

After all he did forget how to talk for a year.

i'm pretty sure this is a legit thing that happened. like, i remember reading a couple things by him right around that time when i was in high school, including an article about how whatever disease it was that hosed up his brain meant he had to relearn to talk by singing words because his brain literally couldn't formulate speech any other way. the turn from kinda goofy cartoonist to empathy-lacking shithead was so stark that it was almost unbelieveable it was the same guy.

i'm already freaked out by exotic diseases because i watched outbreak as a kid, and knowing they can turn you into a chud is just icing on a really lovely cake

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Picnic Princess posted:

Who was the political cartoonist who lamented he couldn't get shot at work by terrorists because newspapers don't hire enough cartoonists anymore?

That would be Ted Rall, who also wrote a book about how he once disemboweled a childhood bully, wrote a second book to update 1984 to be more racist and misogynist while also missing most of the point of the original, got fired for drawing Obama in a really racist way, got fired from another job for lying about the police beating him up after the cops released the recording and proved that he basically had a mostly pleasant interaction with them, claimed to have had a whole bunch of sex after an AIDS scare while still waiting for the tests to come back, claimed to have pushed a homeless man in front of a subway, claimed to have had a wart that burrowed a root into his heart and drenched the room in blood when it popped, and now draws a paycheck from Sputnik News.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Can you imagine how disappointed they must be when they realize that they're still alive and have to keep getting up and slogging through days?

Whoever reports my death better get it right, because I will be absolutely furious if I find out I'm still alive after getting my hopes up like that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Picnic Princess posted:

feeling good that i never heard about this specific inanity but correctly guessed it was ted rall's

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Adams can't empathize with anyone else. When he was a worker he was in favor of workers. Once he was rich he was in favor of management. His entire support of Trump is tied up in injured pride and spite. He's just selfish.

I once had a colleague who told me he was exactly like this, as a student he voted left, when he started making more money he switched to right, then when money got tighter for him again he went back to left. He told me this matter-of-factly like it was what everyone does. No change of political opinion over time or anything, just FYGM. People like this are why the right wing tactic of openly admitting you'll gently caress over poor people but convincing as many people as possible that they're actually above the line where it will start benefiting them works.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

food court bailiff posted:

Scott Adams is a moron for a lot of reasons and he does hold a lot of genuinely stupid beliefs but I'll still never get sick of goons tripping over themselves to prove that they don't understand what a thought experiment is and claim stuff like "dilbert man doesn't believe in gravity LOL".

I hate you for making me look this up.

[page 238 is an illustration]

So that’s the main text of the theory. Now let’s back up a few pages.

:hmmyes:

Now watch him handwave objections in the second edition.

Does he truly believe his expanding world theory?

• He lists gravity as an assumption about reality.

• A few lines later, he says he has “doubts about reality”.

• He doesn’t accept any of the counterexamples to his theory readers sent in.

• He doesn’t mind if people think he believe in his theory.

In conclusion, I don’t think it can be said that he doesn’t believe in it.

:siren: LIBERTARIAN BONUS ROUND :siren:

Is this just a thought experiment? :thunk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A stunning video with amazing rising action, a powerful climax, and a shocking denouement, all in 15 seconds. 4 STARS.

Krankenstyle posted:

I want to know what's missing for it to get 5 stars

Mozi posted:

bigger balls on the pig

Solice Kirsk posted:

We need one of our talented CGI goons to digitally remaster this classic with the bigger pig balls the director had originally wanted.

dreamin of semen posted:

well I don't know about "talented" but putting giant testicles on the pig seemed like a good idea to me

https://i.imgur.com/jBV1FBr.gifv

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Scott Adams PSA before we go back into quotes: when the garlic festival shooting happened he jumped on twitter and recommended a certain online service to anyone caught in it to help them manage and monetize their eyewitness accounts. One of the founders of this same service was one Scott Adams, Cartoonist.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shut up Meg posted:

Lives in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and all the local townsfolk will rally against any journalist or fan who tries to track him down.

He specifically refuses to allow any Hobbes dolls because he doesn't want to ruin the magical ambiguity of whether he is a soft toy or a real tiger because that would ruin it for children,

Basically, he is the exact inverse of Jim Davis.

He definitely has a sex dungeon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ChubbyChecker posted:

He definitely has a sex dungeon.

Sure but his is a very positive space for consenting adults to celebrate their passion in a safe and nurturing environment, Scott Adam's sex dungeon is full of 4ft tall skeletons with pointed ties around their necks

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh yeah, Ted Rall. Lmao what a gently caress up

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Post more Funny* Forums Quotes. Like this one from this thread about the OP encountering a German nudist in French Canada masturbating in a tent inside his apartment

Luminous Crude, posted:

Naked masturbation is a standard gesture of new friendship in many European countries, and I guess in French Canada too. It demonstrates trust and emotional intimacy, and therefore people prefer to do it with new friends in the privacy of their own home. Obviously, if they just did it on the street, it would not be a personal gesture to just you (and your friend). I'm afraid the correct response would have been to return the gesture. The fact that you didn't is a real cultural faux pas. In fact, many people don't know that "faux pas" means to fail to masturbate on greeting, the "faux" being slang for gently caress, and the "pas" meaning without. Faux pas = without gently caress = making a cultural or social booboo.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Somfin posted:

That would be Ted Rall, who also wrote a book about how he once disemboweled a childhood bully, wrote a second book to update 1984 to be more racist and misogynist while also missing most of the point of the original, got fired for drawing Obama in a really racist way, got fired from another job for lying about the police beating him up after the cops released the recording and proved that he basically had a mostly pleasant interaction with them, claimed to have had a whole bunch of sex after an AIDS scare while still waiting for the tests to come back, claimed to have pushed a homeless man in front of a subway, claimed to have had a wart that burrowed a root into his heart and drenched the room in blood when it popped, and now draws a paycheck from Sputnik News.

When I read the local free paper in the 00s, the cartoons by Ruben Bolling and local guy Derf were really good, Tom Tomorrow was okay, but Ted Rall just came off as an angry rear end in a top hat even if you agreed with him.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Syd Midnight posted:

When I read the local free paper in the 00s, the cartoons by Ruben Bolling and local guy Derf were really good, Tom Tomorrow was okay, but Ted Rall just came off as an angry rear end in a top hat even if you agreed with him.
In case you didn't know, that "local guy Derf" was a childhood friend of Jeffrey Dahmer and later made a graphic novel about their time in high school before Dahmer had killed anyone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Friend_Dahmer

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Apropos political cartoonists, who's the one that drew Obama with a diamond-shaped head and enormous triangular ears?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

The War Queer posted:

Apropos political cartoonists, who's the one that drew Obama with a diamond-shaped head and enormous triangular ears?
Goombama? That was Joe Liccar.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

The War Queer posted:

:barry: ?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
scott adams: i woke up at 3:30 and thought, what if the earth was the center of the solar system and mars revolved around the earth, but its odd orbit was caused by mars also moving in a circular motion?

i call it adamaic astronomy

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cumshitter posted:

scott adams: i woke up at 3:30 and thought, what if the earth was the center of the solar system and mars revolved around the earth, but its odd orbit was caused by mars also moving in a circular motion?

If you simply allow the planets to occassionally move backward and turn invisible with no apparent reason you'll see that geocentrism is the logical astronomy model.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That's Wormbama, not to be confused with Goombama.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

And that's when I thought: Obviously heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones, so they must be accelerating faster

Then I fell back asleep

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

lol you cropped out Pence

luxury handset posted:

Pence loves to get cropped tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

gary oldmans diary posted:

had an unfortunate bit of sharding this afternoon. wasnt even like a gamble and lose situation because i didnt even realize what forces were in play
brauts and beans last night and cereal with dried fruit in it and natural lactose-laden milk this morning. powerful figures all vying for control of my sphincter