Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

If anyone wanted a good explanation why nearly a million people in CA are going to lose electricity for the next few days, here is a decent explanation of the issue

https://twitter.com/bedwardstiek/status/1182047040932470784

Oh good.

What a week, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

From what I've read over at the blizzard subforum, Blizz doesnt actually make a whole lot of money from China. But they can "potentially" make more money from china in the future, if they only invest in their rising middle class right now. Which lol to that, thinking China is going to let foreign companies set up shop on their soil.

This isnt even number go up, its tricking investors into thinking number go up. Bilking money from the same morons who invest in Uber and anything with the word blockchain in it.

China's apparently about 5x the size of the US "gamer" market due to the incredible install base on smartphones. Because publicly traded companies occupy some nebulous nonsense world where unlimited growth is literally required, the only thing that most of them can do is attempt to propitiate the looming behemoth market that China has. Hurting them via boycott is good, but it's a temporary method that doesn't address the larger problem. Tencent (the company that has ~5% ownership of Activision-Blizzard) is a massive player internationally, and they own Riot Games (makers of League of Legends) outright.

Activision isn't hurting for money by any stretch of the imagination, but that 5% ownership thing is a loophole in Chinese international law. If you want to do business in China, you need to jump through all kinds of hoops. Or, you can get around that by being at least partially Chinese owned. The amount of stock China has in A-B is actually fairly small, so the call is almost assuredly coming from inside Activision itself from a bean counter going "Nooo!! Our future unlimited growth margins!!"

It's gonna be a big deal in a lot of other areas, too. It's already felt a little bit in movies (which is why there are no gay super heroes, basically) but most of the biggest corps are currently making two versions of most of their productions, one for the global market, and a heavily edited version for China. As China's market influence grows, the scales on that will probably flip.

With any luck, Xi will die and the communist party will turn over a new less despotic leaf. But things... kinda don't look too good right now.

Gamer cat tax:
https://twitter.com/grandayy/status/1180859210336276480

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/Espsilverfire2/status/1182001007976423424?s=20

also apperently people are getting 1000 year bans on forums and in game for talking about hong kong.

This is just their servers being overloaded.
Also you can only apply once, if you try two or more in quick succession it will gently caress things up and lock you out for a few hours.
This is not Blizzard locking down poo poo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/weijia/status/1182048167040311296

moving on to the "calling him gay" phase, which i didn't anticipate.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 9, 2019

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

sean10mm posted:

My parents hate the poo poo out of Trump, it's delightful.

Same, and I live in Texas. Grandfather loves him, but he's been squishy in the head for 10 years.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

Hmmn

Rudy saying people should be a mental hospital is quality :stare: and :ironicat:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

If anyone wanted a good explanation why nearly a million people in CA are going to lose electricity for the next few days, here is a decent explanation of the issue

https://twitter.com/bedwardstiek/status/1182047040932470784

Holy loving crap it is downright farcical that PG&E is still allowed to exist

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

From what I've read over at the blizzard subforum, Blizz doesnt actually make a whole lot of money from China. But they can "potentially" make more money from china in the future, if they only invest in their rising middle class right now. Which lol to that, thinking China is going to let foreign companies set up shop on their soil.

blizzard has the overwatch league, which they're trying to position as a viable sports league. it's getting there but they need that chinese audience to do it. before the second season there were eight expansion teams, bringing up the total number of teams from twelve to twenty. three of those expansion teams were chinese. there are four chinese teams now and one of them got pretty far in the playoffs. the chinese audience is essential for the league's continued survival

if china fucks with blizzard and the league fails, the ripple effect would mean blizzard also has to go back on numerous deals they've made with western companies, including disney. it would put a huge damper on international e-sports leagues which blizzard desperately wants to be the market leader in

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

sean10mm posted:

They have no ethics and will never abandon Trump.

Probably not yet, but if his failures get too big for even them, I could see them claiming God just chose him to prepare the way for our lord and savior Pence.

Also they can invoke Solomon to cover their rear end for initially supporting him. "Oh, he was a wise leader, but the bad influences led him astray."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

happyhippy posted:

This is just their servers being overloaded.
Also you can only apply once, if you try two or more in quick succession it will gently caress things up and lock you out for a few hours.
This is not Blizzard locking down poo poo.

thats what i kinda assumed. blizzard is bad and dumb but i feel like this would break to many laws and isnt worth it.

eke out posted:

i do love that rudy's "mask" dropped after the stares and now he is just a horrible monster idiot in every possible way.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/1182053667974909953

Another poll confirming that a majority supports impeachment.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

The Kurds! Where were the Kurds when the Westfold fell? Where were the Kurds when our enemies closed in around us?

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

sean10mm posted:

My parents hate the poo poo out of Trump, it's delightful.

My extended family had a get together on Labor Day and I was pleased that their opinion of Trump and what should happen to him was, without exception, something that would've got them banned from these forums. :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Esplanade posted:

Probably not yet, but if his failures get too big for even them, I could see them claiming God just chose him to prepare the way for our lord and savior Pence.

Also they can invoke Solomon to cover their rear end for initially supporting him. "Oh, he was a wise leader, but the bad influences led him astray."

yeah, they probably won't vote against him in 2020 but they will probably not make too much noise if the party magically decided that trump wasnt worth it.

DaveWoo posted:

can't say i am fully surprised.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Zophar posted:

NPR was running a story earlier about how Evangelicals might actually start to crack with Trump over loving the Kurds

Not going to happen. They are too invested. They may act like it bothers them but they will, all of them, pull that Trump lever next year.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
I don't understand the 4% who want him impeached but not removed. What are they hoping for, exactly?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

tencent owns a bunch of stock in blizzard and blizzard makes way more money in china than it does in the west. so they will bend the knee to china and etc. whats funny is is this Blizzcon was actually supposed to be a sort of return to form after last year's being pretty widely slammed. They have numerous games to reveal, including a WoW expansion and very likely a proper, non-mobile Diablo title. They were expecting a triumph and now all that potential goodwill is going to be overshadowed by an utterly inept own goal.

a little late and this has been hit a few times, but;

acti-blizz makes 10-15% of their revenue in asia/pacific, which is all inclusive just before the middle east.

and also, you know, korea.

they don't make poo poo from china, but potential market!!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Flapjack Monty posted:

My extended family had a get together on Labor Day and I was pleased that their opinion of Trump and what should happen to him was, without exception, something that would've got them banned from these forums. :v:

My mom is great and despises him, my dad is in denial about how bad he really is but is desperately trying to both-sides, and most of my extended family are wannabe (we are Catholic) WASP yuppies than only care that their 401ks go up

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 9, 2019

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Nixon's support collapsed when the polls hit 57% if I remember correctly. I hope that holds for Trump, but the support and the electoral map is probably different enough that it's not a sure bet.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Oh, okay.

To be fair, history has shown terrorists to be unwilling to get on planes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
And another poll

https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/1182053667974909953

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ershalim posted:

I don't understand the 4% who want him impeached but not removed. What are they hoping for, exactly?

Maybe they're hoping it'll scare him straight or something.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ershalim posted:

Some of them are "impeachment will only help Trump" true believers, some think the trialshould run its course but don't have strong opinions yet over how much of the crimes are real.

There's also the 2% of any poll:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ershalim posted:

"He should be impeached but we need to have the trial in the Senate to review his potential crimes"?

Of course that assumes the Senate trial will be anything other than the GOP calling Trump the most innocent president who ever presidented, which, lol

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1182055455914430465

Meanwhile, McConnell’s at 26/49.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dammerung posted:

Maybe they're hoping it'll scare him straight or something.

It's this, or idiots who think a failed impeachment will help him in 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DaveWoo posted:

There are going to be some very angry tweets about this

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ershalim posted:

That a full and thorough investigation will show it was all Hillary Clinton’s fault.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So am I the only one whose reaction to the california shutdown is "nationalize all power networks" ? Because this seems like one of those "market failures" I've been told don't exist! They tried private tort remedies and everything~!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

:yeshaha:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Killer robot posted:

Some of them are "impeachment will only help Trump" true believers, some think the trialshould run its course but don't have strong opinions yet over how much of the crimes are real.

There's also the 2% of any poll:

I bought one years ago. I don't know if it's still in my house anymore.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

4% of Americand know that impeachment doesn't mean removal from office and wanted to be smug about it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is AG Barr still MIA?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Midgetskydiver posted:

Not going to happen. They are too invested. They may act like it bothers them but they will, all of them, pull that Trump lever next year.

Genuine question because not Christian. Is there any place in American Christianity for social justice type Christian politics ala the type who built near every charity and homeless shelter in the company 120 years ago (even if it was a means to an end to evangelize)? Are these people already absorbed into the Democratic party? Lost causes because of abortion or gay rights?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Genuine question because not Christian. Is there any place in American Christianity for social justice type Christian politics ala the type who built near every charity and homeless shelter in the company 120 years ago (even if it was a means to an end to evangelize)? Are these people already absorbed into the Democratic party? Lost causes because of abortion or gay rights?

every christian group besides the evangelicals basically

gay rights/abortion still hit/miss though

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Hasn't Trump only gone to Dover once to receive fallen soldiers?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Definitely. There are a lot of devout Christian groups who are very into social justice and collective good. There's not like a specific name for them or anything. As much as it seems like it from the outside, Christians aren't a monolithic group in the US. Most of those people are Democrats, yeah. Or DSA. There's not really many options due to how our system works. The evangelical types suck up all the air in the room and are all over the media spreading bile and hatred at all times, but they're not representative of the average religious American.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

That’s seems odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Post the Lindsey Graham speech from the Clinton impeachment next

I actually have that in the post!