Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Looper posted:

what enemy do you think has killed you more than any other?

the top of the tetris screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nobody here ever made a claim about the quality of the game. They just said it looks exactly like cuphead. Who are you even arguing with

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Shindragon posted:

Man I actually forgot when ND was saying UC4 would run at 60fps. Wow.

The best part about this was that one of their star programmers bragged about spending all weekend getting the game to 60fps, which kicked off an argument over workers rights and crunch time.

Then the programmer left naughty dog

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

Nobody here ever made a claim about the quality of the game. They just said it looks exactly like cuphead. Who are you even arguing with

They're arguing with me. I posted that I thought the game was getting a bad rap, because lots of people on twitter are giving the developers poo poo.

Then a bunch of goons dogpiled on me as they like to do, and started literally mocking my posts. I didn't start the argument.

Alternatively you could click "last page" and read what was said rather than making a dismissive comment.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I see we have reached the natural conclusion to all conversations with Zaphod where he starts accusing everyone of arguing in bad faith.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

In Training posted:

Zaphod is incapable of making a point without walking back or accusing people of misinterpreting it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Walkout at Blizzard... If there is a wildcat strike more power to them

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought about mentioning the fact that heretic was licenced, but it honestly doesn't seem like people are upset about the legality here. (And most don't understand the differences between patents and copyrights anyways) but were upset because this game "sucks" because it has no ideas of its own. Heretic had no ideas of its own.
In using and licensing Doom's engine, Heretic acknowledged that the groundwork had already been laid. In effect, it marketed itself as a derivative, and had permission to do so--in fact, John Romero himself worked on it, so it's really more of a licensed spin-off.

Basically, it's not the legality that matters; it's the approval of, and respect paid to, the creator.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Roth posted:

I see we have reached the natural conclusion to all conversations with Zaphod where he starts accusing everyone of arguing in bad faith.

Someone literally posted something I said word for word as a mockery. Seriously? You're going to insist I'm crazy? Why are y'all so mean? :(

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
FPS games used to be called Doom clones, that's just a cold hard fact delivered straight from my own brain. Source: I lived in the 90s and called them Doom clones. I looked up that Gloom game though, and it's literally less of a Doom clone than that Enchanted Portals game appears to be a Cuphead clone. Looks more like a Blake Stone clone if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRk-TX2RaOs

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

The best part about this was that one of their star programmers bragged about spending all weekend getting the game to 60fps, which kicked off an argument over workers rights and crunch time.

Then the programmer left naughty dog

It was very funny to watch high framerates go from being a next gen selling point to nerd poo poo for nerds pretty much overnight.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Help Im Alive posted:

mario maker letting you see where people die on your levels definitely supports this theory

I'll see deaths in places that I'm pretty amazed they figured out a way to die at all the time, but by far the most baffling thing I saw wasn't a death in a weird spot, it was this:

There is absolutely 100% no way for you to soft lock in that particular spot. And I'm fairly sure there's no place to get soft locked in any other part of the level either, but this specific spot where the comment was placed. What? How??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Roth posted:

how dare you, maybe you're the one arguing in bad faith??

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Volte posted:

FPS games used to be called Doom clones, that's just a cold hard fact delivered straight from my own brain. Source: I lived in the 90s and called them Doom clones. I looked up that Gloom game though, and it's literally less of a Doom clone than that Enchanted Portals game appears to be a Cuphead clone. Looks more like a Blake Stone clone if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRk-TX2RaOs

Weird lack of music aside, that game's levels do look aesthetically nice.

I don't know if I would have appreciated them at the time, and I just like the old visual style in general.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Definitely going to make sure to watch blizzcon this year, its gonna get spicy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty on board with directly lifting large swaths of game wholesale and unabashedly from previous successes (I'm playing Code Vein which is just Boob Souls) but "I already played Cuphead and this looks worse, why would I want it?" is an extremely valid take and I wouldn't fault anybody for having that reaction

I assume twitter is being way worse than that but twitter is a detriment to society that rots your brain so twitter is always terrible, about everything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Walkout at Blizzard... If there is a wildcat strike more power to them

drat cool

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roth posted:

cowcaster literally posted this

Cowcaster posted:

pretty sure zaphod isn't arguing in good faith that he legitimately can't tell the difference between candy crush and bandy brush on the ios app store and both their hardworking dev teams deserve our love and support

And I was simply responding to that.

You are a huge meanie :colbert:

Videogames, where are you? How is this okay?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cowcaster's post was worth a chuckle though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roth posted:

Cowcaster's post was worth a chuckle though.

Okay, and? That means you should ignore context and mock me over something that isn't even fair?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm pretty on board with directly lifting large swaths of game wholesale and unabashedly from previous successes (I'm playing Code Vein which is just Boob Souls) but "I already played Cuphead and this looks worse, why would I want it?" is an extremely valid take and I wouldn't fault anybody for having that reaction

I assume twitter is being way worse than that but twitter is a detriment to society that rots your brain so twitter is always terrible, about everything

Yeah like, honestly I'd be fine with it if A) they did their own twist to it and B) the animation was of similar quality to Cuphead. Neither are true. I think the biggest mistake they made is making it so that they fire their wands with LITERALLY the same motion as Cuphead shoots his finger guns, with the up and down motion. They also have similar looking flippy jumps.

And like, there are lots of interesting looking bosses they showed that I thought were pretty neat and thought they had some good ideas there. But there's so much there that doesn't come across like its their own thing, I can't believe they though it'd go over well. Like if you want to do what Cuphead did, at least do it RIGHT.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah that's a totally valid take.

Macaluso posted:

if A) they did their own twist to it and B) the animation was of similar quality to Cuphead

Its a first video for a kickstarter to raise funds to make the game, so judging the final quality compared to cuphead's seems unfair. As mentioned, cuphead was delayed for years and years and years, and got MS money.
This is an indie team with no big backers, trying to appeal to kickstarter.

I think its a huge leap to assume its going to play exactly like cuphead when finished.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Enchanted Portals is absolutely a rip off of Cuphead in the most uncreative way possible. It’s literally just stealing from Cuphead.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's a totally valid take.

Its a first video for a kickstarter to raise funds to make the game, so judging the final quality compared to cuphead's seems unfair. As mentioned, cuphead was delayed for years and years and years, and got MS money.

I think its a huge leap to assume its going to play exactly like cuphead when finished.
If it's not going to play exactly like Cuphead in the final version, then why does it play exactly like Cuphead in the video, right down to some levels replacing the usual physics with SHMUP controls? Games change, but they rarely change that much.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay well when they come out with a new video fixing those things, I'll change my view on it. I don't really care that Cuphead got MS money.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1181926542080958464

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

If it's not going to play exactly like Cuphead in the final version, then why does it play exactly like Cuphead in the video, right down to some levels replacing the usual physics with SHMUP controls? Games change, but they rarely change that much.

They're trying to appeal to cuphead fans to raise money? Is that so crazy?

Clearly it backfired.

I'm not saying it isn't gonna be a shmup. And that's the point, shmups are largely shmups. But I don't think they're gonna have the same like charms and stuff that cuphead has. I don't have a crystal ball but its not a finished game.

But again, if you did a kickstarter for a space shmup would it be reasonable to be like "OMG you're stealing everything from Gradius!!!" like, of course? As long as you're doing your own art and programming...

Most shmups don't even change the theme, there's like 2,000 shmups about spaceships. This at least changes the theme, IDK.

Macaluso posted:

Okay well when they come out with a new video fixing those things, I'll change my view on it. I don't really care that Cuphead got MS money.

I mean like I said originally, you're free to say "that doesn't look as good as cuphead and I don't really need another", that's perfectly fair.

But I think its going too far to accuse them of theft and act like they're crossing some moral boundary and shouldn't exist. They're indie devs making incredible animation. Good for them. I'm sad the response is so largely extremely toxic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1181313245795106818?s=20

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Enchanted Portals looks and plays like Cuphead because the hardest thing an indie dev team can do is get noticed. Marketing is super important and expensive. By blatantly copying a very distinct game they got all the free publicity they are ever gonna need.

Its pretty loving wild.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Parade posted:

This stuff was hardly original to Cuphead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

She posted again in an hour saying it went through.

Turns out the servers were just being slammed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

I did, I think it looks like cuphead except worse

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I said come in! posted:

Enchanted Portals is absolutely a rip off of Cuphead in the most uncreative way possible. It’s literally just stealing from Cuphead.

But is stealing other people's work and making a profit from it bad? We will never know.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Has anyone played Crossinq+ yet? I just got my backer code but haven’t had a chance to play. Would love to hear some first impressions if they exist here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Samuringa posted:

But is stealing other people's work and making a profit from it bad? We will never know.

So Epic Games are criminals who should be jailed for stealing money from Player Unknown?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

They're trying to appeal to cuphead fans to raise money? Is that so crazy?
It's not crazy, no, but it is pretty creatively bankrupt to appropriate an established work's exact style and structure in order to get noticed, especially if you intend to depart from that structure and style in the finished project (which, for the record, I doubt The Magic Portals' developers do).

quote:

I'm not saying it isn't gonna be a shmup. And that's the point, shmups are largely shmups. But I don't think they're gonna have the same like charms and stuff that cuphead has. I don't have a crystal ball but its not a finished game.

But again, if you did a kickstarter for a space shmup would it be reasonable to be like "OMG you're stealing everything from Gradius!!!" like, of course? As long as you're doing your own art and programming...

Most shmups don't even change the theme, there's like 2,000 shmups about spaceships. This at least changes the theme, IDK.

I mean like I said originally, you're free to say "that doesn't look as good as cuphead and I don't really need another", that's perfectly fair.

But I think its going too far to accuse them of theft and act like they're crossing some moral boundary and shouldn't exist. They're indie devs making incredible animation. Good for them. I'm sad the response is so largely extremely toxic.
Going by the trailer, the base gameplay—which, in a pure run-and-gun like Cuphead or, as far as we can tell, The Magic Portals, is by far the most important element—is identical to how it is in Cuphead, full stop. Whether or not the framing for that gameplay (which we haven't seen anything of, making it impossible to judge) is different doesn't really matter.

And... yeah, they are crossing a moral boundary, honestly. I don't think they should be thrown in jail; I don't even think they should be sued. But you can't just copy another artist's work so closely without asking for permission—at least, not if you intend to make the copy a mass-market commercial product.

axelblaze posted:

This stuff was hardly original to Cuphead.
The SHMUP mechanics weren't original, no, but it's yet another thing Cuphead did that Magic Portals does in the same manner, style, and proportion.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

So Epic Games are criminals who should be jailed for stealing money from Player Unknown?
lol Fortnite is way more innovative than Magic Portals. it's part of the same genre, but it has a completely different aesthetic, refines some mechanics (the inventory system), and adds others (building). Mind you, it is/was a bit derivative; more importantly, there are allegations of code theft stemming from the time Epic Games spent working on PUBG, which complicates things.

In any event, nobody is saying that there should be hard penalties for this behavior, just that it kind of sucks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

Going by the trailer, the base gameplay—which, in a pure run-and-gun like Cuphead or, as far as we can tell, The Magic Portals, is by far the most important element—is identical to how it is in Cuphead, full stop. Whether or not the framing for that gameplay (which we haven't seen anything of, making it impossible to judge) is different doesn't really matter.

And... yeah, they are crossing a moral boundary, honestly. I don't think they should be thrown in jail; I don't even think they should be sued. But you can't just copy another artist's work so closely without asking for permission—at least, not if you intend to make the copy a mass-market commercial product.

I just rewatched it to check, and they never do a single parry jump in the trailer. So, that's a pretty massive mechanic in cuphead, and to not have that and say its entirely full stop identical is not actually true.

Also, looks like it may just be boss battles? Which was the original design of cuphead, but after hearing backlash, they went and built levels. Although maybe they're planning on building levels after getting kickstarter money, don't know, can't say.

But like, IDK man. The gameplay of shmups is all pretty similar. Things like dashing or charging your attacks were all done in mega man before cuphead. And this has things like, the Mozart boss looks cool, the 3 headed chihuahua dog looks cool, neither of those were in cuphead, lots of original art at high quality.

People used to sell unlicensed expansion packs that would use another game's engine and just add a little bit of content.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blizzard walk-out is loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Awesome Animals posted:

Has anyone played Crossinq+ yet? I just got my backer code but haven’t had a chance to play. Would love to hear some first impressions if they exist here.

It rules, it plays as good as it looks