Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

god this blows posted:

Just keep in kind unless you’re on the latest T-Mobile plan they all charge taxes and fees on the $10 so it’s closer to $15 from what I’m told.

Same with ATT. It’s such horseshit, but I loving love the LTE for running. I’m an rear end in a top hat for continuing to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Is it possible to use an Apple Watch as a generic bluetooth heart rate monitor for other devices, like a treadmill?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There’s this: https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/use-gym-equipment-with-apple-watch-apdf855bb3c0/watchos

But my gym doesn’t have fancy enough machines for that. Just Polar integration.

eames
May 9, 2009

smackfu posted:

There’s this: https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/use-gym-equipment-with-apple-watch-apdf855bb3c0/watchos

But my gym doesn’t have fancy enough machines for that. Just Polar integration.

Thank you, that's great. I've never had an Apple Watch before but that feature makes it even more useful.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Housh posted:

Apple Watch life folks is the $10 extra a month worth it for mLTE? I've been using the s2 without cellular for 2 years fine but would be cool to leave the phone at home sometimes.

Is it worth it?

I left my phone at home when I went to the gym once.

I talked to a friend on it the day I got it.

I uh..... I don’t know that I’ve ever used it beyond that. Maybe it gets used when I get notifications if I’m out of range of my phone, which is pretty common when I’m at work, when I’ll probably ignore whatever notification I’m getting anyway.

But I haven’t cancelled it after about six months of little to no conscious use of it so I don’t know what my point is.... :thunk:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is what AT&T charges for a watch on its own plan. Yikes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah gently caress that poo poo that’s even more of a robbery than the $10 it is on T-Mobile. Insane.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Two of those "surcharges" go straight to ATT and should be part of the base price. gently caress that company.

Well gently caress all telecoms but in this case gently caress ATT in particular.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Regulatory cost recovery charge?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sri.Theo posted:

Regulatory cost recovery charge?

Passive-aggressive way of business owners telling the customer "if you want to make us comply with regulations then we will pass the cost on to you, no way are we letting this cut into profits." See also: Healthy SF charge itemized on restaurant bills.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Could also be some suit earning 300k saying “let’s charge everyone 13 cents so that I can buy a new house.”

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

smackfu posted:

This is what AT&T charges for a watch on its own plan. Yikes.

Christ, that total cost is more than I pay monthly for my whole phone contract in the UK, and that gets me completely unlimited usage (minutes, SMS and data). No watch though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah. I’ll just pass on the LTE. Thanks for the input. Leaves more money to waste on video games.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

LTE is one of those weird things where everyone that has it admits it’s stupid and they’re stupid paying for it.

Myself included :smith:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

LTE is one of those weird things where everyone that has it admits it’s stupid and they’re stupid paying for it.

Myself included :smith:

....and we keep paying for it.

It’s like a gym membership for half the people that have a gym membership.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

colachute posted:

....and we keep paying for it.

It’s like a gym membership for half 85% of the people that have a gym membership.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I like running without my phone and still being contactable by my family in case of emergency, so LTE works for me

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Oooo boy! S5 delivered by the end of the day. I'm coming from a S2. Should be a nice performance/usability jump, no?

Excited!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Housh posted:

Oooo boy! S5 delivered by the end of the day. I'm coming from a S2. Should be a nice performance/usability jump, no?

Excited!

Going from an S2 to an S4 was a revelation.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Going from an S2 to an S4 was a revelation.
What do you do now with your watch you couldn't do before with the S2?

Always on is a big deal for me and why I immediately jumped on S5. S2 was always slow or just loving up if I didn't exaggerate looking at my watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Even though 6.0.1 improved battery on my 5, AOD still drains it way faster than it should, being a core advertised feature of the watch.
Hope 6.1 has some additional fixes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Even though 6.0.1 improved battery on my 5, AOD still drains it way faster than it should, being a core advertised feature of the watch.
Hope 6.1 has some additional fixes.

I'd see if Apple support can help/replace. I have AOD on with the Infographic and 8 complications. I use the watch quite a bit with the Heart Watch app (I just had super major heart surgery so I have it poll my heart-rate every 15 minutes), active pedometer, sleep tracking, etc... I've been easily hitting 20 hours with it registering around 10-15%.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Proteus Jones posted:

I'd see if Apple support can help/replace. I have AOD on with the Infographic and 8 complications. I use the watch quite a bit with the Heart Watch app (I just had super major heart surgery so I have it poll my heart-rate every 15 minutes), active pedometer, sleep tracking, etc... I've been easily hitting 20 hours with it registering around 10-15%.

How do you have it poll heart rate periodically like that? Is this with a complication that actively shows it changing every 15 mins?

I know the watch does monitor HR over the day. I just wasn’t aware you could get a complication to show it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Did they improve the Siri face in 6.0? Will I get more info displayed then on my s2?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Housh posted:

What do you do now with your watch you couldn't do before with the S2?

Always on is a big deal for me and why I immediately jumped on S5. S2 was always slow or just loving up if I didn't exaggerate looking at my watch.

Nothing I do new, but actually being able to open an app without waiting 10 seconds is very nice.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Housh posted:

Did they improve the Siri face in 6.0? Will I get more info displayed then on my s2?

looks the same on an s3 but they tweaked the algorithm and now it is suggesting timers and the breathe app instead of giving me news headlines and weather

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Clark Nova posted:

looks the same on an s3 but they tweaked the algorithm and now it is suggesting timers and the breathe app instead of giving me news headlines and weather

That's actually exactly what it's showing me right now.

It does show me work meetings now that I synced up my work calendar. The duplicate events I posted about a while ago are gone which is nice. Think it just resynced the calendars.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Forever mute the breathe app.

Some days my only stress was from it telling me to breathe every hour.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing I do new, but actually being able to open an app without waiting 10 seconds is very nice.
That's why I never opened apps. The watch is sluggish at everything but displaying the info I want. I just quick replies to messages sometimes which is great.

I mainly use it for all the data: weather, activity, and my calendar schedule. Never used a s3+ watch. Wonder if that face can show more info or just looks better?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah on my Series 1 I feel like anything I try to open that isn't a first party app just takes a century to load and I close it before it does.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Nipples posted:

How do you have it poll heart rate periodically like that? Is this with a complication that actively shows it changing every 15 mins?

I know the watch does monitor HR over the day. I just wasn’t aware you could get a complication to show it.

I use a 3rd party app called Heart Watch. And the complication shows changes every 15 mins (or so... usually.. still better than having to manually look it up). It also feeds into Health just like the native app.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ultimate Mango posted:

Forever mute the breathe app.

Some days my only stress was from it telling me to breathe every hour.

I could be totally wrong on this but aren’t breathe reminders connected to your heart rate or something? If you’re getting constant breathe reminders that seems not-ideal.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Taima posted:

I could be totally wrong on this but aren’t breathe reminders connected to your heart rate or something? If you’re getting constant breathe reminders that seems not-ideal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taima posted:

No, it's a "mindfulness" app that gets you to breathe (semi) deeply at a steady rate for X minutes (the default is 1 minute) at a time. It does measure your heart rate while you do it. It's a calming exercise and the goal is to be still and hit your typical "at rest" heart rate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even better, Breathe is one of the apps you can completely delete from the watch now.

Long press on the bubble icon screen to get the iOS style jiggling icons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Taima posted:

Can you set it this way? I'd appreciate that as someone with chronic anxiety.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can you set it this way? I'd appreciate that as someone with chronic anxiety.

In the watch app on the phone

colachute fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 9, 2019

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dude is critical of the always on display's battery life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TuyvWoaAZk

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

colachute posted:

In the watch app on the phone

That just seems to indicate that you'll get no alerts at all. Do they activate if it detects a high heart rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Housh posted:

Dude is critical of the always on display's battery life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TuyvWoaAZk

Lots of tech people like Marques have been super critical of the AOD. It's gotten to the point where some folks have flat out said to disable it, which seems counter-intuitive to me. Why not get the Series 4 in that case? Anyways I've heard that 6.1 does fix some of the issues.