Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FuturePastNow posted:

They didn't have horsey gas masks right away, either.

This is the most hilarious of the reasons the Nazis didn’t widely deploy chemical weapons in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhN28eTuP8

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One of the critical scenes in Brothers Karamazov is a horse flogging. It’s when a horse handler goes crazy and beats a horse to death in public

Nietzsche’s insanity was also precipitated by witnessing a horse flogging in which iirc he intervened

poo poo was real back in the day

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Raskolnikov also has a dream about a horse being flogged to death in Crime & Punishment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe that’s what I was remembering. It might be in Brothers Karamazov too

Regardless it must have been a common and traumatic experience

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Common enough that inflicting a flogging upon a dead horse could become a clichéd phrase.
When you think of the stuff that humans do to humans, what we do to animals is a whole new level of ghastliness...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

euphronius posted:

Nietzsche’s insanity was also precipitated by witnessing a horse flogging in which iirc he intervened

He did indeed.

It's sometimes interesting to read about the lives of philosophers. Nietzsche's actual philosophy gives a lot of people a vision of selfishness or at least self-centeredness. Learning about that horse incident was fascinating to me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Family Values posted:

First thought I had too. Mounted cavalry vs. mechanized infantry became just a complete bloodbath.

I don't think any notable mounted forces fought on horseback against mech infantry. The oft-repeated claim of polish lancers riding into machineguns during WW2 didn't happen, for example.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

I don't think any notable mounted forces fought on horseback against mech infantry. The oft-repeated claim of polish lancers riding into machineguns during WW2 didn't happen, for example.
not only did it not happen, there was a cav on cav engagement in that war which the poles won.

as trin keeps reminding us, when cav was used during ww1 it usually succeeded in its intended goal

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

HEY GUNS posted:

not only did it not happen, there was a cav on cav engagement in that war which the poles won.

as trin keeps reminding us, when cav was used during ww1 it usually succeeded in its intended goal

The last :airquote: official :airquote: cavalry charge was done on august 23rd/24th 1942 during World War two by Italians who charged russians lines and managed to break through. Charge of the Savoia Cavallerie

The polish lancer story did happen, they charged a unit of german infantry. They were successful at first until a machine gun opened fire on them from an armoured car further away. They did not charge at Tanks or machine guns nest, like propaganda would have people believe. But the charge did happen, that is uncontested facts.

Charge at Krojanty

*edit: Ugh.. re-read my post, sorry it sounds confrontational. not my intention, too tired to edit it properly atm. Will edit later

Dalael fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 10, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No problem, thanks for clearing it up!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Afghan forces led by General Dostum backed up by a US Special Forces unit conducted a successful cavalry charge against Taliban positions when the Northern Alliance took Mazir-i-Sharif

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The French entered WW1 with 89 regiments of cavalry. Cavalry was used in major battles like the Battle of the Somme and at Verdun. A British cavalry regiment charged a German position at High Wood at the Battle of the Somme. From an eyewitness:

quote:

It was an incredible sight, an unbelievable sight, they galloped up with their lances and with pennants flying, up the slope to High Wood and straight into it. ... They simply galloped on through all that and horses and men were dropping on the ground, with no hope against the machine guns, because the Germans up on the ridge were firing down into the valley where the soldiers were. It was an absolute rout. A magnificent sight. Tragic.

So yeah, it happened repeatedly in the first two years of the war and it was as horrific as we imagine.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dalael posted:

The polish lancer story did happen, they charged a unit of german infantry. They were successful at first until a machine gun opened fire on them from an armoured car further away. They did not charge at Tanks or machine guns nest, like propaganda would have people believe. But the charge did happen, that is uncontested facts.
i meant the charging tanks thing. and i wasn't insulted but thank you for the apology anyway

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Family Values posted:

The French entered WW1 with 89 regiments of cavalry. Cavalry was used in major battles like the Battle of the Somme and at Verdun. A British cavalry regiment charged a German position at High Wood at the Battle of the Somme. From an eyewitness:

So yeah, it happened repeatedly in the first two years of the war and it was as horrific as we imagine.

See the trick to overrun a machine gun position is to send so many bodies at it, that the gun jams from overheating and that's when you got them just where you want to.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
One of the real problems in WW1 is that you had a lot of creaky old general officers who'd been hanging around since the Franco-Prussian War in 1870, and had generally taken away the strategy of lightning offenses with cavalry and light artillery being able to win the war before the opponent was mobilized. French generals like Fernand de Langle de Cary, who oversaw the disaster Verdun, was obsessed with speed because that's how France had lost in his war. And he'd seen how effective units could be if they had nerves of steel and could commit to an attack in the face of largely inaccurate rifle and cannon fire. The fact that several major wars had been fought that seriously disputed the effectiveness of those tactics in the face of modern rifles, much less machine guns, trenches, and barbed wire, was largely dismissed by European commanders. Gen. de Cary and others believed that if an army was sufficiently professional and disciplined, they'd show up with a bunch of direct-fire horse artillery, blast away before charging in with the cavalry and some light infantry, sweeping the field before them before their opponents could muster a defense. They were wrong.

Strategically, this led to a variety of attempted breakthroughs by both sides known as the Battle of Frontiers, which failed. After half a million total casualties in a month, both sides realized that this wasn't working and tried to maneuver around each other by broadening their lines (this is known as the Race to the Sea). Once they'd built trenches across the entire continent, each side basically ran out of strategic ideas, and basically tried to just overwhelm the opponent with bigger offensives or bigger maneuvers (this is where the war really went global). In the end, it took technological innovation to really catch up to reality of the new defensive methods.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 10, 2019

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tias posted:

I recently had the talk about how Game of Thrones was (IMO) better historical interpretations than Vikings.

Can someone give me a rundown of real historical events that inspired famous fantasy titles? If it's outside the scope of this thread I'll take it elsewhere, but I figured you lot would know.

I feel like this is interesting, but we could derail this thread for ages just on what real history influenced pieces of GoT.

Also on the Italian Calvary Charge

quote:

Trumpeter Carenzi, having to handle both trumpet and pistol, unintentionally shot his own horse in the head.[2]

I feel like Carenzi shouldn't have been the Trumpeter.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 11, 2019

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Dalael posted:

The last :airquote: official :airquote: cavalry charge was done on august 23rd/24th 1942 during World War two by Italians who charged russians lines and managed to break through. Charge of the Savoia Cavallerie

Charge at Krojanty

*edit: Ugh.. re-read my post, sorry it sounds confrontational. not my intention, too tired to edit it properly atm. Will edit later

There was also a German cavalry charge on British forces during Market Garden.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Molentik posted:

There was also a German cavalry charge on British forces during Market Garden.

Oh? I never heard about this one. I will have to look into it.

I can't help but to think about Band of Brother's last episode, Webster's speech... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DnRn9hyFU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone wanks to “ignorant servile scum” and forgets that that is the same show same episode where the Nazi general gets to namedrop the series in his proud speech to his brave soldier comrades.

E: but hey Liebgott got to translate and he was real and there was a Holocaust episode, so the Nazi wanking is actually fine!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 11, 2019

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I uhh... what?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dalael posted:

I uhh... what?

He's not a fan of Band of Brothers, he's saying. Hea unhappy that the series puts a a speech to his troops into General Tolsdorff's mouth where Tolsdorff pretty much uses the term "band of brothers" to describe his men..." Sie sind eine besondere Truppe, die miteinander einen Zusammenhalt gefunden hat, der in
Erscheinung nur im Kampf entwickeln kann unter den Kameraden...."

I think he thinks it humanizes the German soldiers and makes them look heroic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gonna just cut off Nazi chat in the ancient history thread right here.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Epicurius posted:

He's not a fan of Band of Brothers, he's saying. Hea unhappy that the series puts a a speech to his troops into General Tolsdorff's mouth where Tolsdorff pretty much uses the term "band of brothers" to describe his men..." Sie sind eine besondere Truppe, die miteinander einen Zusammenhalt gefunden hat, der in
Erscheinung nur im Kampf entwickeln kann unter den Kameraden...."

I think he thinks it humanizes the German soldiers and makes them look heroic.

Thank you, i wasnt sure if i read that right.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's talk about the Aryan expansion instead. Did you know that philologists classify ancient languages by whether or not they had a native word for honeybees? It's because they did not exist east of the Black Sea region about 4000 years ago.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Since they're domesticated bugs, I assume it's just like how chicken, pigs, cows, sheep, goats, and horses left their own trails of proliferation over time.

Huh, I poked around in wikipedia, and apparently the Maya cultivated an entirely separate species of bee for honey. Weird.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah the standard 'honeybee' is actually an invasive species in America

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One thing that surprised me is that earthworms are also an invasive in the new world

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SlothfulCobra posted:

Since they're domesticated bugs, I assume it's just like how chicken, pigs, cows, sheep, goats, and horses left their own trails of proliferation over time.

Huh, I poked around in wikipedia, and apparently the Maya cultivated an entirely separate species of bee for honey. Weird.

On one of the netflix food shows... maybe SaltFatAcidHeat (? if so it's in the Acid episode) the host visits a family in Mexico which raises the pre-colonial species of bee via traditional methods.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Let's talk about the Aryan expansion instead. Did you know that philologists classify ancient languages by whether or not they had a native word for honeybees? It's because they did not exist east of the Black Sea region about 4000 years ago.

How lucky are we that the first guys to domesticate the bees didn't try to domesticate hornets instead?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Native new world bee species are a lot better at pollinating native new world plant species.

Crazy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SlothfulCobra posted:

They are pretty chill, I had a hive on/in my cabin window when I was in Belize doing research and they never bothered me. About half the size of a honey bee and black. Also they are stingless.

Also as far as I am aware the only other honey bees in Belize are africanized and they are loving dicks.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

'Dog' doesn't have a clear etymology in English. It just sort of shows up.
Except there is one other language with the word 'dog' to mean 'dog'. Mbabaram, an Australian aboriginal language.
Makes u think. :tinfoil:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The word "shark" may be from the Yucatec "Xoc"

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

One thing that surprised me is that earthworms are also an invasive in the new world

I don't think this is quite right. I think there were worms but that the invasive species are now so prevalent that the native species are rare or have died out. At least that's what I recall from the one article I read, but I'm by no means an expert.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There were native worms yes, but the thing you're most likely picturing when you hear "earthworm" is an invasive species.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I want Australia's giant Gippsland earthworm to go invasive.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
When cattle breeding was first started in Australia, their manure would never disappear because there was no native Australian fauna that could process them. They had to import dung beetles or something from Europe so that every pasture wouldn't just be covered in cow poo poo forever and thus ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sounds like bullshit to me!

Did the dung beetles become horribly invasive?