Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Is it against the rules to tag out of the puzzle section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Never understood how people open their eyes underwater. I've done it a few times, in like a bath rub or something, but most freshwater bodies got all that nature junk in it and the ocean is all salty and pissy. Doesn't it burn to open eyes in saltwater or am I just big baby

I wouldn't do it in the ocean just for the gently caress of it, but in a challenge situation like this?

Suck it up and play through the owies. It's not THAT bad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's fair, Survivor is a bunch of stuff I wouldn't want to deal with just for kicks but I'm too poor to be precious about my eyes when there's a prize on the line.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol that the girl that knifes herself is on the chopping block :haw:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Love the shot of Vincent sniffing his fingers

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

lol that the girl that knifes herself is on the chopping block :haw:
and is wishy-washy about who to throw under the bus to save her rear end. :rolleyes:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Robnoxious posted:

and is wishy-washy about who to throw under the bus to save her rear end. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got irritated at her as soon as she said "what I want is for people to play the game" because it's so dumb since the other people ARE playing the game and identified you as an easy vote or weak in some way and you aren't trying to fight back against it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

hey this might be a spoiler that I just noticed but karishma's hand isn't bandaged

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

AWarmBody posted:

Love the shot of Vincent sniffing his fingers

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

hey this might be a spoiler that I just noticed but karishma's hand isn't bandaged

ok either i mis-saw or there's some editing magic happening!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

lol woops

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Oh God... not the return of the whisper sesh Tribals.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

ok either i mis-saw or there's some editing magic happening!

It's a pretty small bandage close to her skin color

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OH NO

lol

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
old man wants to go to bed

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Well, you may suck at puzzles. But you're good at blindsides..."

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Yo Vince... you got loving played dog!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
aww man the first metal gear survivor out after his first op

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hey if your idol is only good for two tribals

Just burn it asap

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Just burn it asap

yeah, I'm think the same thing.

Even if I didn't think I would get any votes, I might be tempted just to burn the idol to get it out of the way.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Girls Alliance might be stronger than we think.

The vote partly flushed the idol (successfully) and still kept the Girls in a majority... even if one of them is very sketchy and bad at challenges.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Vince had to just go into that assuming that (a) people were gonna suspect you of having an idol so you might be a target and (b) if you need the idol in three days then you're probably on shaky ground today. You gotta just resign yourself to burning the idol. Then its just a question of whether you tell people so you don't burn them or you keep it quiet to see if something like this is happening so you know who to trust. I'm sad he went but it was his mistake.

I thought it was really dumb for the girls to do this though because of that reason. If Vince had played his idol they would have lost their number advantage over the guys and burned Vince giving the guys a chance to pull him over for real. But the spent so much energy telling us why it made sense for the girls to keep Vince before Tribal that I knew he was a goner. I just sat there cringing with Rob and Sandra.

I have to be honest, i have no idea if this is a good or bad season/cast. I know like 4 of their names. I'm just having too much fun with Rob and Sandra.

And "they're all dead to me" was kind of melodramatic and I can see why the tribe isn't too fond of her, but like she still had the right instinct that they were all dicks showing how they feel about her by showing no concern about the injury. Even if you knew it wasn't a big deal what the hell does it cost you to just go make her feel better? Its a social game, assholes.

Khanstant posted:

I would've straight up stolen some of their food or tools. Not as part of the challenge, just for the thrill.
Yeah, I would have liked to see Vince go full Pearl Islands and steel something important. Assuming you could find it in the dark and get it without much trouble. Sandra and Rob would have respected that.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
This is one of those votes that makes a lot more sense when you remember the players are all assuming they're going to swap after 3 rounds or so. If the woman vote out Tom they just further alienate Dean and Aaron who will almost certainly defect to the other side at a swap. By voting out Vince and letting the guys put votes on Karishma they're vaguely putting out an olive branch to keep it at least slightly more likely that the Dean/Aaron/Tom won't defect at the first possible moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That makes sense. But it still all potentially goes to hell if Vince pulls out an idol and you don't get swapped. I don't really think you can play for twists you don't know are coming. Even if they're decently likely. You gotta play with the factors you can actually see.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

I think they might have played up the injury. No one even put pressure on it immediately, and her being dramatic about a not super serious cut would explain everyone not giving af about it

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

That makes sense. But it still all potentially goes to hell if Vince pulls out an idol and you don't get swapped. I don't really think you can play for twists you don't know are coming. Even if they're decently likely. You gotta play with the factors you can actually see.

I don't know, Vince seemed pretty firmly and openly on the women's side. If Vince has an idol it would have to be a pretty contrived situation for him to be using it against the Lairo women.

It feels like we missed Vince's post-Island of Idols debrief, it's possible he misplayed it badly and came off really shady (especially if Elizabeth told the real scoop to the women if Vince was lying).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So I completely forgot about the preview telling us someone was gonna gently caress themselves up and as soon as I saw how Karishma was holding the knife I was like "oh my god girl you're gonna stab the gently caress out of your hand what are you doing" and then welp

Vince got really cocky and it was kind of hilarious watching him get blindsided.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Pinterest Mom posted:

Just burn it asap

Especially when the only other person from your tribe who went to that island lied about it and is in the majority alliance. You pretty much have to play it first chance.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I would have liked to see Vince go full Pearl Islands and steel something important. Assuming you could find it in the dark and get it without much trouble. Sandra and Rob would have respected that.

I was hoping for fire proof he would steal the flint.

freeman fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 10, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess the argument for Vince holding onto his idol is the same as the one for the girls risking the vote split backfiring and sending home their numerical advantage: "Maybe we'll get tribe swapped and it would be useful to have an idol/trusting allies".

I just don't much like that argument.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the longest before there's been a tribe swap or merge? I seem to recall at least one season where they dragged it out until there was only one person left on one of the tribes, but there might have been other shenanigans going on at the same time. Unless both teams manage to just take turns and stay at relatively equal numbers they probably just have to make a call as it goes or is it usually planned ahead regardless?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Someone pointed out that Vince sneaking into camp probably wasn't as crazy as we might think. They have producers and cameramen walking around all the time, ambient noise probably isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Khanstant posted:

What's the longest before there's been a tribe swap or merge? I seem to recall at least one season where they dragged it out until there was only one person left on one of the tribes, but there might have been other shenanigans going on at the same time. Unless both teams manage to just take turns and stay at relatively equal numbers they probably just have to make a call as it goes or is it usually planned ahead regardless?

A few times there were no swaps at all til merge - just a few examples include HvV, Tocantins and South Pacific.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Was there a scene of Vince explaining to his tribe what happened at IOI and that Sandra and Rob are there?

Robnoxious posted:

Yo Vince... you got loving played dog!

Rob's lesson for Vince was to stay cool under pressure. Vince stayed cool under the pressure of TC and went home with an idol in his pocket.
Thanks, Rob. Thanks for nothin' !
Too bad it wasn't the turn for Sandra to give actual advice about one of her successful winning tactics, like making fake accusations against another player, or solidly putting the target on someone other than yourself.

Demonstrating how to crawl on sand was kind of a waste of time and irrelevant to how she won twice. Shannon Gaitz was correct -they're not mentors, they're producers doing things to make an entertaining tv show.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 10, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

Man I'm curious what the counteroffer was gonna be
That offer he took severely sucked! "If you get caught, you lose your vote." Yeah, and you also get caught! The entire other tribe knows you as the sneak that came crawling into their camp to steal stuff. And a fast expiring idol is really pretty weak in general in my opinion. If you do go for it and win, just come back, tell the tribe everything that happened, and then play it immediately, especially if they all already know you just went to something called the "Island of the Idols"! At least then having something you play signals your hands are now clean.

I liked Vince. Karishma is severely insecure, although no one seeing her over to medical when she cut her hand was rough. I can't believe Karishma dissed her own girls alliance in Tribal. :lol:

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 10, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Binary Logic posted:

Was there a scene of Vince explaining to his tribe what happened at IOI and that Sandra and Rob are there?

There wasn't, but thankfully we have exit press:

quote:

I was gone from the camp for about 24 hours — the whole day. And when I got back, I told them that I went to Island of the Idols and was presented with the game. And in this game I had to memorize five different sets of tiles with animals on them. So the five animals were the crab, the salamander, a bat, a shark, and a jellyfish. So I said I had to memorize five sets of these animals, and then remember all those sets in order and then find those sets at night in order on Island of the Idols and get them all lined up correctly. And unfortunately, due to pressure, I wasn’t able to do that and I had to sleep outside without shelter.

So when I got back I made sure to get little wet so that they thought that I was sleeping outside with no shelter. But then to my core alliance of the women — in particular, Elizabeth, Elaine, and Missy — I told them that I lost my vote on top of sleeping outside. So that was the kind of the deal and I don’t know how they took it. I mean there I was hoping that saying I lost the vote would trigger Elizabeth to say, “Oh yeah, dang, homeboy is telling me the truth.” And that’s why I was pushing the women. Like, we have to vote all five votes onto Tom because I lost my vote.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That's really not a bad cover story. And it's ironic that he felt more comfortable with the women's alliance than Karishma seemingly did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He also said he was decently tight with Missy/Elaine since they were all LGBT, but I guess that wasn't enough.

Honestly, if we need one thing from the next episode, it would be one of the girls explaining the vote.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Someone pointed out that Vince sneaking into camp probably wasn't as crazy as we might think. They have producers and cameramen walking around all the time, ambient noise probably isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Yeah, it's very obvious that post production was responsible for adding quite a bit of drama to what was likely a very non-dramatic scene. The ambient sound effects of stepping on twigs, the ashes making clattering noises when being put in the canteen, etc. It's also obvious that the shots of the people in the shelter waking up and looking around in response to the noises were shot at some other point and added in, and that "waking up screaming from a bad dream" thing probably happened on another night altogether.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Sand Monster posted:

that "waking up screaming from a bad dream" thing

Can we talk about how insane this was? Do people really wake up in screaming fits from a bad dream?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SweetJahasus posted:

Can we talk about how insane this was? Do people really wake up in screaming fits from a bad dream?

Yes

Typically they are screaming IN the dream but it breaks into real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yeah, i *just* realized Tom and Dan are different people