Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Silver Surfer: Black #4

ss black is definitely worth reading just for the art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Endless Mike posted:

Silver Surfer: Black #4

This is the bad comic art, yes? I have no idea what's meant to be going on in that picture.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jedit posting

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Something about the top panel makes it look like two pieces of art stuck together. It might just be the inked outline of Thor being a blacker black than the rest of it on the page. I like the colouring otherwise.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

This is the bad comic art, yes? I have no idea what's meant to be going on in that picture.

For one thing there's literally a line on the page for you to follow. The silver animals represent the Silver Surfer, the red and black is Galactus. The dialog informs that Galactus is shifting his form to try and dissuade the Surfer from approaching.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
For gently caress's sake, the color contrast is super stark and yes there is literally a line directing your path through the page, how is that hard to parse? You could ignore the words and it's still pretty clear what's happening.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NicolaScottArt/status/1174269018783518723
Click for butt.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dickbutt will never go out of style.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

remusclaw posted:

Dickbutt will never go out of style.

Perfect

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He quickly decided against the massive collar and plunging neckline I see. Actually, between that and the mask's flair did he just dye a Dazzler costume?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Elfface posted:

He quickly decided against the massive collar and plunging neckline I see. Actually, between that and the mask's flair did he just dye a Dazzler costume?

You can blame George Perez, King of the Impractical and Over-Busy Costumes, for the original Nightwing outfit.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

You can blame George Perez, King of the Impractical and Over-Busy Costumes, for the original Nightwing outfit.
Uh, I think you meant to say commend George Perez

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He had that costume for years though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The big collar outfit was the logical followup to the speedo Robin look.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No Agent Grayson?

When did he have a blue mask? I just remember it from Hush.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Ricbutt will never go out of style.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Big Dick Butt Energy

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 20, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

No Agent Grayson?

When did he have a blue mask? I just remember it from Hush.

The front suit? I assume it's the pre-Ric Rebirth one.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 21, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Agent outfit was Nightwing shirt and dad khaki pants I believe

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In the now-classic Throg storyline where Thor is turned into a frog he has to get back to Asgard and hopes that he can use the power of Mjolnir. But first he has to lift Mjolnir and Walt Simonson is not subtle about paying homage to another classic storyline.

Thor 365

Lobok fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 23, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

EDIT: Not bad art, I just have bad fingers!

bessantj fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 25, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can do that. It's not really uncommon.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I can do that. It's not really uncommon.

Really? I've been trying to put my hand in that position and just can't do it. The finger won't go round like that and I can't get that bulge at the bottom of the hand I must just have an odd hand.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Now this is just a rollickin' good comic book time. Loki and a bunch of trolls riding a locomotive towards Thor back in the days of the Wild West.

Thor 370, guest and master penciller John Buscema.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Somebody gave Thor a gun.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When he turns into real Thor it disappears somewhere so presumably all he has to do is remember his cowboy persona and Mjolnir's enchantments can gin it up for him again.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Aunt May is Thor???

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lobok posted:

Now this is just a rollickin' good comic book time. Loki and a bunch of trolls riding a locomotive towards Thor back in the days of the Wild West.

Thor 370, guest and master penciller John Buscema.

I like John Buscema well enough but that is some lazy (or rushed) inking.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That Thor in the Old West story is an unsolicited fill-in from the tail end of Walt Simonson's Thor run (right around the time Sal Buscema took over for Simsonson as the lead penciller), and John's getting inked by P. Craig Russell in that issue. I wouldn't be surprised (given the last minute nature of the fill-in) if this wasn't originally intended for Marvel Fanfare, an anthology series on fancy paper that they were putting out at the time.

Russell spent most of the 1980s doing commercial art and some Elric/Killraven graphic novels, he did very little Big Two work. For the entire decade of the 1980s the only stuff he did for Marvel or DC (not counting things published through Epic) were:

- Inking over Gil Kane, Marshall Rogers, Carmine Infantino, Mike Ploog, Sandy Plunkett, and Mike Mignola for Marvel Fanfare stories
- Inking a five page Roger Stern/Mike Golden story for a Doctor Strange issue
- Inking an issue of Fantastic Four (291) right at the end of John Byrne's run
- Inking some Art Adams covers for Classic X-Men reprints
- Inking over Steve Ditko (and doing some covers) for ROM
- Mike Mignola's finisher/inker on a 1987 Phantom Stranger mini-series
- Inking the one issue of Jackson Guice's New Mutants run that wasn't inked by Kyle Baker
- One of nine inkers on a try-out issue of Adventures of Superman that Erik Larsen drew (#431)
- The sole inker on Jerry Ordway in the next issue
- Okay I guess he did a lot of spot inking in the late 1980s (a couple of back-up stories for DC's 1987 annuals, inks for Nocenti/Leonardi's Colossus serial in Marvel Comics Presents, an issue of JRJR's X-Men run, a bunch of Mignola stuff including Gotham by Gaslight, he was part of the mass of people who finished art on the Invasion mini-series when Todd McFarlane fell incredibly behind and half the book was just based on Keith Giffen's panel breakdowns)

That list was a lot longer than I ever realized and I have no idea if Russell was doing it out of a sense of having fun with friends/people he admired coming up in the industry or if he just Needed the Money, but he did a bunch of inking in the 1980s while primarily working on his own graphic novels, and a lot of them were a bit of a styles clash. They also might have been rushed looking at the volume of them. If the Marvel Fanfare thing is true, another factor might be that he inked them thinking it was going to be reproduced better on the fancy Marvel Fanfare paper.

Briefer fun fact: Priest's Black Panther run (issues 46-47) crosses over/takes place during this issue, if you want more Wild West Loki.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

I like John Buscema well enough but that is some lazy (or rushed) inking.

It's definitely a lot lighter and makes it very different than Buscema's original run on Thor.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I always thought Russel's Elric stuff was amazing but haven't revisited it to see if that's just nostalgia glasses.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scaramouche posted:

I always thought Russel's Elric stuff was amazing but haven't revisited it to see if that's just nostalgia glasses.

I've got a couple of the runs on my shelf. It's ... colourful.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

:doit:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I kinda like this.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pickin up some powerful Doomguy vibes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that chaykin

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

my mistake thats black cat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The 90s were a lawless wasteland of secondary chin mutations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

When did Beast get robot legs?

Actually nevermind, it's 90s X-Men, I don't want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Sure you do-- that's Dark Beast, who escaped from the Age of Apocalypse and is like Beast but Darker.