Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Angry Salami posted:

“Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, I think he was... one of them.”
Gilded the lily a little for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The Bloop posted:

RED SQUAD
RED SQUAD
RED SQUAD

If it's not going to talk down I wonder if they're going to be doing space meth.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

hmm

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really hope that short has H Jon carrying on a conversation with an inanimate object.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

bull3964 posted:

I really hope that short has H Jon carrying on a conversation with an inanimate object.

Making little voices for the tribbles

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Thank god

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

Do you want Tribbles? Because that's how you get Tribbles.

B'ELANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm surprised no one mentioned the holographic Enterprise D in the Picard trailer. I guess it's just a bit of fan service but I'd still love to see one in stunning 4K. I guess admiral Riker won't be making the save with 3 nacelles. Would have been an awesome moment though

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the holographic Enterprise D in the Picard trailer. I guess it's just a bit of fan service but I'd still love to see one in stunning 4K. I guess admiral Riker won't be making the save with 3 nacelles. Would have been an awesome moment though
I kind of bet money on an episode ending with them being hailed and the cliffhanger being someone saying, "Sir, it's the Enterprise."

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I kind of bet money on an episode season ending with them being hailed and the cliffhanger being someone saying, "Sir, it's the Enterprise."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'd love it. I don't care

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I mean I would too... but honestly, I just want the next Star Trek sequel series on an Enterprise L. I know between Discovery and Picard we're kinda sorta getting that... but I want something that really feels new, pushes to the next level.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did y'all watch "Q&A"- Star Trek: Short Treks

I was really amused and surprised by her display of that weird kid song but she was right, it is kind of freaky to see a Spock laugh and smile so heartily.

"Runaway"

Is kind of cool too, I forgot when Po was introduced but I liked her character. I was hoping she'd get stuck on Discovery by some weird contrivance.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 10, 2019

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

It's a bit weird however that they are displaying the hologram of the Ent-D on the 24th century equivalent of a static filled black and white tv.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

It's a bit weird however that they are displaying the hologram of the Ent-D on the 24th century equivalent of a static filled black and white tv.

Yeah one thing that bugged me in Disco was that holograms were suddenly Star Wars flickery transparent things but I figured hey, it was the more primitive technology. But I have a feeling that Picard is going to use the same look because That's How Holograms Look In Sci-Fi.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Senor Tron posted:

DS9 had, very briefly, holographic communicators. They only used them a couple of times because they couldn't find a way to easily make it obvious that the person wasn't just in the room. That's what the flickering is for, I guess

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought they only used them twice because they were lame

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They really gave me a major "turn that thing off" vibe whenever they were used.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In Discovery the technology is introduced and then never used, they specifically mention Pike ordering the Enterprise to go back to vid-screens because he hates the holograms

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Behr and Moore were the ones pushing the holochat stuff, I don’t think it ever caught on with anyone else.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think it's kinda funny holocommunications has become an in-joke in Star trek, because it closely parallels how videophones have been in my own lifetime.

"Check this out!"
"gently caress that, maybe if it worked better."
"Here, it's better!"
"It's still really tricky compared to the usual."
"Now it's just as easy!"
"It's just weird, okay? Just drop it."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In Discovery the technology is introduced and then never used, they specifically mention Pike ordering the Enterprise to go back to vid-screens because he hates the holograms

Wasn't it used extensively in season one? And then they got rid of it in season two because of feedback and hung a lantern with Pike.

Brawnfire posted:

I think it's kinda funny holocommunications has become an in-joke in Star trek, because it closely parallels how videophones have been in my own lifetime.

"Check this out!"
"gently caress that, maybe if it worked better."
"Here, it's better!"
"It's still really tricky compared to the usual."
"Now it's just as easy!"
"It's just weird, okay? Just drop it."

To be fair the viewscreens are all holographic 3D calls through TNG and Voyager, it's just projected holocommunications that seems to always fail.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't it used extensively in season one? And then they got rid of it in season two because of feedback and hung a lantern with Pike.

To be fair the viewscreens are all holographic 3D calls through TNG and Voyager, it's just projected holocommunications that seems to always fail.

You might be right, I barely remember S1 at this point. I just remember them making a big deal out of Pike ordering Enterprise to rip out the systems.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Every so often, like every couple weeks, I’ll be sitting there thinking about whatever and then out of nowhere will pop into my head the words “Dalen Quaice”

I don’t know why that particular Trek name gets lodged in my brain. Maybe it’s because they say Dalen Quaice like 10000 times in the episode

I don’t even really like that ep

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That ep is legit top 5 TNG for me. I’m a sucker for whenever Trek goes full-on weird.

Plus it houses one of the best lines uttered on television: “If there’s nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe! :aaaaa:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blast Fantasto posted:

Every so often, like every couple weeks, I’ll be sitting there thinking about whatever and then out of nowhere will pop into my head the words “Dalen Quaice”

I don’t know why that particular Trek name gets lodged in my brain. Maybe it’s because they say Dalen Quaice like 10000 times in the episode

I don’t even really like that ep

Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night, tap my breast, and say into the lonely dark of my bedroom:

"Leland T. Lynch."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Plus it houses one of the best lines uttered on television: “If there’s nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe! :aaaaa:

And she was right!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

And she was right!

But there was something wrong with her, she was trapped in a warp bubble

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
There's gonna be something wrong with you in a minute! :mad:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Getting trapped in a static warp bubble is without honor

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

davidspackage posted:

Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night, tap my breast, and say into the lonely dark of my bedroom:

"Leland T. Lynch."
Does he have any lines that don’t have his full name in them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CPColin posted:

There's gonna be something wrong with you in a minute! :mad:

Don't you see, Garak? You're an exocomp! You always have been!

I swear to God the line "DON'T YOU SEE" is in every goddamn episode of DS9 up until halfway through season 5. I just noticed in the last couple of spots they've changed it a bit to "Don't you understand" cause maybe they noticed they were using the same love every episode. I've you notice it you can't let it go

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 10, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

But there was something wrong with her, she was trapped in a warp bubble

that's some pretty unseemly victim blaming

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Don't you see, Garak? You're an exocomp! You always have been!

I swear to God the line "DON'T YOU SEE" is in every goddamn episode of DS9 up until halfway through season 5. I just noticed in the last couple of spots they've changed it a bit to "Don't you understand" cause maybe they noticed they were using the same love every episode. I've you notice it you can't let it go

You wanna talk about noticing things? Watch for Avery Brooks glancing at the floor so he can hit his mark.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Despite raising over a million dollars through various crowdfunding scams, Axanar needs more money to actually do the thing they promised they'd do all those years ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Star Trek Deep Space 6 starting Idris Elba as Commander Lusent and he's always hanging out with Jezzia Shepard and calling her "Old Bean"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

Despite raising over a million dollars through various crowdfunding scams, Axanar needs more money to actually do the thing they promised they'd do all those years ago.

Maybe they should sell more coffee.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

thats a small image but i like the set and uniforms better than discovery

(discovery should have just been in the future future)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

thats a small image but i like the set and uniforms better than discovery

(discovery should have just been in the future future)

Here's a better version. Looks like it's just screens printed out and clued onto some plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Alan_Shore posted:

I'd love it. I don't care

Both logic and Rule 34 dictate that people will do anything for the D.

is it that this joke is too pon farr or has it not pon farr enough