Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

whatever7 posted:

No I am saying the goal of the protest was not about the extradition bill, it was about crippling the HK government. That was why it was designed in such a loose, leaderless, faceless way.

If it was really about stopping the extradition bill, it would have been organized by an actual person, or a band of liberal law makers and student leaders. And they would be able to negotiate with the government way the gently caress back in may, before the police crack down. And they would be happy to take the cancelled bill as a victory and stop.

I am using to unusually characteristics of this movement to show it was not about the bill.

i certainly agree it was not about the bill, the bill was just the tipping point where HKers went "you know actually we're pretty annoyed with this whole ultracapitalist authoritarianism thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

No I am saying the goal of the protest was not about the extradition bill, it was about crippling the HK government. That was why it was designed in such a loose, leaderless, faceless way.

who designed the protest?

dont say the CIA!!!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The core of the protest is really HK being totally dissociated from the Mainland's politics. They can't affect anything, but China can lean hard on the HK government and get what they want.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slanderer posted:

who designed the protest?

dont say the CIA!!!

gently caress CIA, it was the property czars who have owned the Hong kongers for decades and want to pass on their kingdom to their sons and daughters pass 2047 and want to forever own the Hong Kong government.

If you speak Manderin, I would link you a video where a HK developer explained how each previous chief executive's plan to expand public house and lower the real estate price has been stopped by different developers.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

gently caress CIA, it was the property czars who have owned the Hong kongers for decades and want to pass on their kingdom to their sons and daughters pass 2047 and want to forever own the Hong Kong government.

If you speak Manderin, I would link you a video where a HK developer explained how each previous chief executive's plan to expand public house and lower the real estate price has been stopped by different developers.

is your claim that they are the unseen hand guiding, shaping and directing the protest?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
you don’t really need to shape a protest, you can just get it going and let the chips fall where they may. The protest doesn’t even seem to be asking for anything really substantial

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
brothers, we meet at the orc statue

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

The core of the protest is really HK being totally dissociated from the Mainland's politics. They can't affect anything, but China can lean hard on the HK government and get what they want.

Agreed, 1C2S is a farce imposed by imperialist powers.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slanderer posted:

is your claim that they are the unseen hand guiding, shaping and directing the protest?

Li ka shing was supporter of the umbrella movement too. But this one just the initial and donation phrase. Around Aug the movement took on a violent life of its own and nobody can steer it, not even jimmy lai.

You can't direct a decentralized movement. Also the teeager radicals took up a broodlusting, anti mainland stand, which is hilarious.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whatever7 posted:

If it was really about stopping the extradition bill, it would have been organized by an actual person, or a band of liberal law makers and student leaders. And they would be able to negotiate with the government way the gently caress back in may, before the police crack down. And they would be happy to take the cancelled bill as a victory and stop.

I am using to unusually characteristics of this movement to show it was not about the bill.

while i can understand this thinking in theory a bill designed to allow for the extradition of axe murderers seems like a really bad hill to die on surely the chinese government has pushed for more obviously bad laws than that

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

whatever7 posted:

Weird because the billionaires who literally own hk are against the protests because its bringing down property values

Also loooool if you think the prc of all places will reign in property developers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bro Dad posted:

Weird because the billionaires who literally own hk are against the protests because its bringing down property values

Also loooool if you think the prc of all places will reign in property developers

Billionaires aren’t actually a monolithic force. Hell the billionaires that funded the tea party turned on them once they realized exactly what they unleashed

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway i just read an article that said hong has the best hiring and firing practices in the world can anyone confirm deny or react in confusion

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
The leaderless form of organizing taking place is a direct reaction to precedence set during previous movements, where leaders were jailed to essentially cut the movements head off. Regardless of what you think of their politics, this is essentially the logical conclusion from past actions.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gradenko_2000 posted:

The PRC considers Taiwan to be a part of the PRC.

Hong Kong is also a part of the PRC.

In order for the murder suspect to be extradited from Hong Kong to Taiwan, HK wanted to pass a law that would allow people from one province of China (HK) to be extradited to another province of China (Taiwan).

The collective freakout that triggered the protests was the assumption that such a law could be used to extradite people from HK, to, say, Beijing, and further, that this would be used to prosecute political dissidents.

I would argue this is dumb only because Taiwan is very manifestly not part of China, materially and de facto speaking. China may want it to be again, but Taiwan is in practice separate no matter what the government of China may like, at least for the time being. In that context writing law as if this was not true, when it is true, is rather dumb.

It'd be like if the US tried to write law as if Cuba was an American territory. We may wish it was, but it very obviously is not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

I would argue this is dumb only because Taiwan is very manifestly not part of China, materially and de facto speaking. China may want it to be again, but Taiwan is in practice separate no matter what the government of China may like, at least for the time being. In that context writing law as if this was not true, when it is true, is rather dumb.

It'd be like if the US tried to write law as if Cuba was an American territory. We may wish it was, but it very obviously is not.

I don't really disagree, though it does kind of beg the question of what the Taiwanese government thinks about all this - assuming that the bill got passed and made into law, and was used to deport this one guy from Hong Kong to Taiwan, it would have to be the Taiwanese officials that'd have to take him into custody... and both the PRC and Taiwanese governments would be okay with that?

Like, an extradition treaty from the HK to Taiwan would only work if Taiwan was okay with it, and the PRC was okay with Taiwan exercising it, even if they're not "their guys". I think?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't really disagree, though it does kind of beg the question of what the Taiwanese government thinks about all this - assuming that the bill got passed and made into law, and was used to deport this one guy from Hong Kong to Taiwan, it would have to be the Taiwanese officials that'd have to take him into custody... and both the PRC and Taiwanese governments would be okay with that?

Like, an extradition treaty from the HK to Taiwan would only work if Taiwan was okay with it, and the PRC was okay with Taiwan exercising it, even if they're not "their guys". I think?

I mean yeah that sounds pretty dumb.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BrokenGameboy posted:

The leaderless form of organizing taking place is a direct reaction to precedence set during previous movements, where leaders were jailed to essentially cut the movements head off. Regardless of what you think of their politics, this is essentially the logical conclusion from past actions.

if china is already disappearing hong kong dissidents its not clear to me how a legal extradition process would be significantly worse

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/anarchismoso/status/1182079165811613696

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

sincx posted:

HAHAHAHAHA

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/opinion/china-censorship.html

drat these NYT columnists really have their heads up their asses. The American intelligence community should see if this strategy works on Trump first. If it doesn't even work on Trump (and it probably won't; the Republican Senate isn't going to convict him), how the hell is it going to work on Xi?

its amazing people get paid to make D&D post

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1182133441267003392

lmao

just lmao

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

We created the App Store to be a safe and trusted place to discover apps.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lol remember when amazon decided to delete copies of 1984 from a bunch of kindles remotely, without permission from the users?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spergin Morlock posted:

Lol remember when amazon decided to delete copies of 1984 from a bunch of kindles remotely, without permission from the users?

*ben norton bursts in*

“yeah but Orwell sucked anyway! :smug:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wouldnt such an app be really useful for people trying to get help from cops though kind of weird to assume that only criminals would use it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

HAHAHAHAHA

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/opinion/china-censorship.html

drat these NYT columnists really have their heads up their asses. The American intelligence community should see if this strategy works on Trump first. If it doesn't even work on Trump (and it probably won't; the Republican Senate isn't going to convict him), how the hell is it going to work on Xi?
yea that'll stop a full scale PLAN invasion of taiwan. good thinking there napoleon

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

When the rich get disappeared in China it's not because of Marxist principles. Xiao Jianhua was arrested while Pony Ma serves in the National People's Congress. They're both capitalist billionaire scum but Xiao Jianhua tried to screw over other rich people. I'm sure China would like a convenient legal process to extradite billionaires from HK, but it will be for capital flight, tax evasion, or defrauding investors. Rent seeking and exploitation will still be allowed.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ngl thats a pretty cool orc statue

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

No way that China doesn't have an even cooler orc statue that we Defenders of Xi may convene at

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

SorePotato posted:

No way that China doesn't have an even cooler orc statue that we Defenders of Xi may convene at

Ya but only the cool defenders got invited, sorry pal

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LimburgLimbo posted:

I know it’s not an argument made in good faith or seriousness, or made out of true ignorance but I’ve been loling at the idea of how people here would react to the US doing some of the things China does, like mandatory military training and propaganda sessions for students as young as middle school depending on the province.

from a million posts ago but many states and county's have mandatory JROTC which is high school.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i certainly agree it was not about the bill, the bill was just the tipping point where HKers went "you know actually we're pretty annoyed with this whole ultracapitalist authoritarianism thing"

I've got bad news about liberal democracy and ultracapitalist authoritarianism

Bro Dad posted:

rents in Shenzhen are half of what they are in Hong Kong because the CCP stepped in to implement new rules and restrictions to keep housing prices from inflating out of control. if nothing else the Chinese government wants their cities to actually be livable on some level, instead of allowing situations where Hong Kongers can't even move back to Hong Kong - not for any legal reasons but because it's literally too expensive.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:09 on Oct 10, 2019

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it just me or does most of the anti-china poo poo reddit pumps out seem more like literal yellow scare poo poo from the late 1800's than actual pro-democracy stuff

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Venom Snake posted:

Is it just me or does most of the anti-china poo poo reddit pumps out seem more like literal yellow scare poo poo from the late 1800's than actual pro-democracy stuff

It's Reddit

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
like it's all a giant big evil china monster harming a poor defenseless cute asian women

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Internet going out of their way to make funny jokes about China involving current events and Blizzard's media while Reddit is thoroughly studying Dr. Seuss WWII cartoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

yes