Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trump isn't even good at being a bully, Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Paradoxish posted:

If this is accurate, then it's pretty much as bad as it could have been. Erdogan didn't even bribe him, he just literally intimidated him into abandoning the Kurds.

Yep. Just what I thought--Trump got rolled and served up the Kurds on a platter to make Erdogan happy.

ImpAtom posted:

Trump isn't even good at being a bully, Jesus.

Trump can't even fire people directly, which was like his entire brand prior to getting into the genocide business.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

"Mr. Trump demurred...."

"He took off his hat?" wondered the chud cloud....

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Paradoxish posted:

If this is accurate, then it's pretty much as bad as it could have been. Erdogan didn't even bribe him, he just literally intimidated him into abandoning the Kurds.

Let’s be fair, this is also the most likely thing too. Trump bowing to Ergodan is much less likely. Ergodan knows with absolute certainty that Trump doesn’t want an unpopular war while he is being investigated so closely and while his economy is nearing a recession, and while we are involved in hostilities with China, Russia, North Korea, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Venezuela, I guess we are friends with Mexico now... basically, the stars have aligned for Ergodan. There was never a better moment to strike, and he knows it. Americans won’t support a war to avenge the Kurds.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol no loving way

By the far the most powerful country militarily in the world, bullied by at best by a third rate regional power

Just what the gently caress

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
What leverage does Turkey have to get the US out of the way of their genocide? What pressure would they begin applying if there were still us troops in the region five years from now? Proxy terrorism?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Tatsuta Age posted:

what about this political cartoon, seems different than the others

Garrison depicts a two state solution for Israel with the West Bank being a separate country.

That’s different from Trump’s position :lol:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol no loving way

By the far the most powerful country militarily in the world, bullied by at best by a third rate regional power

Just what the gently caress

Interesting point of fact: Turkey actually has the second-largest, second-best-funded military in NATO. But yeah, there's a pretty steep dropoff after #1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

What leverage does Turkey have to get the US out of the way of their genocide? What pressure would they begin applying if there were still us troops in the region five years from now? Proxy terrorism?

My genuine bet: "You're already in trouble in your country and if more soldiers die under your watch you'll be more likely to be impeached."

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

lurker2006 posted:

Basically, yes. They'd just fund them like they did before Trump took office. They'd keep buying stolen ISIS oil or whatever the gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Slowpoke! posted:

Let’s be fair, this is also the most likely thing too. Trump bowing to Ergodan is much less likely. Ergodan knows with absolute certainty that Trump doesn’t want an unpopular war while he is being investigated so closely and while his economy is nearing a recession, and while we are involved in hostilities with China, Russia, North Korea, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Venezuela, I guess we are friends with Mexico now... basically, the stars have aligned for Ergodan. There was never a better moment to strike, and he knows it. Americans won’t support a war to avenge the Kurds.

Turkey was bluffing and would have NEVER dared get in a shooting war with the US over anything. If there was anyone but a complete and utter coward in the White House they would have called their bluff and this would have ended but Erdogan guessed correctly that Trump would fold immediately.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:allbuttons:

God, he got loving worked

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

lurker2006 posted:

https://twitter.com/OMGno2trump/status/1181262313929760770

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Turkey was bluffing and would have NEVER dared get in a shooting war with the US over anything. If there was anyone but a complete and utter coward in the White House they would have called their bluff and this would have ended but Erdogan guessed correctly that Trump would fold immediately.

So say Turkey does get into a hot war with the US. Would that effectively dissolve NATO? What happens to Article 5?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

:allbuttons:

God, he got loving worked

Shouldn't this be the worst possible thing to his base? He has absolutely no balls, just a craven coward

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 10, 2019

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

lurker2006 posted:

They are our ally and we use their military base for our airforce, which is very strategic given its proximity to Russia and the Middle East.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ThanosWasRight posted:

She has a hard-on for dictators in Asia like Modhi. I'm surprised she doesn't love Erdogan.

Tulsi is 100% a compromised agent of a foreign government.

Also while you're so concerned about the Kurds what is being done to the ughurs in China and Kashmiri in India is just as bad if not worse.

she receives a ton of support and a jillion dollars from very, very rich, modi-aligned Indian-Americans, at least

that might in itself enough to explain any of her extra quirks

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

pkay posted:

Basically, yes. They'd just fund them like they did before Trump took office. They'd keep buying stolen ISIS oil or whatever the gently caress.

Why in the gently caress are the countries we're friendliest toward always the ones funding the specific terrorists that attack the west? When's the last time an Iranian attack killed a westerner?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

They are our ally and we use their military base for our airforce, which is very strategic given its proximity to Russia and the Middle East.

I mean wouldn’t turkey be unwilling to lose the US presence there as there is a protective power projection aspect for them?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TulliusCicero posted:

Shouldn't this be the worst possible thing to his base? He has absolutely no balls, just a craven coward

Fake news

Same as it always was and always will be

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

https://twitter.com/OMGno2trump/status/1181326246480887808

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

lurker2006 posted:

Why in the gently caress are the countries we're friendliest toward always the ones funding the specific terrorists that attack the west? When's the last time an Iranian attack killed a westerner?

Or you know outright attacking their ally's civilians in their own land for exercising their nation's freedom of speech.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Slowpoke! posted:

Incirlik isn't just beneficial to the US. There's no way Turkey would have threatened the US presence there.

Erdogan had no leverage at all. Trump folded entirely because he was terrified that he might be blamed if a confrontation went poorly.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ELO Musk posted:

I mean wouldn’t turkey be unwilling to lose the US presence there as there is a protective power projection aspect for them?

Against whom, though? It's not like Putin is going to go for Constantinople.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

That’s a pretty big mistake you idiot lol.

TulliusCicero posted:

They either wouldn’t believe it or believe it’s a good outcome because lol if you think Trump supporters are concerned about non-white non-Christians halfway round the world.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

lurker2006 posted:

Or outright accusing your ally of attempting a coup to overthrow your government? Turkey is trying to play both sides and Erdogan has been in a super tight spot as of recently.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

The new narrative is that Trump is a peacemaker, just like Jesus would want. Yes I know these are the same people who howled for Iraqi blood.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lightning Knight posted:

That’s a pretty big mistake you idiot lol.

Nevertheless,

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

lurker2006 posted:

It's all theater. We've been sucking up to the saudis forever and they've been producing/funding crazies for a long long time.

I feel like every one of Tulsi's positions are on the front page of RT.com.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

It’s so easy to show corruption from Trump, ahhhhh why is American journalism such poo poo

Don’t answer this question it’s rhetorical

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

What Supreme Court case with pg&e involved interstate commerce? Just curious. I see one on federal preemption regarding nuclear power (pg&e lost), one on bankruptcy and attorneys fees (pg&e lost), and the one on the first amendment grounds that pg&e won but seems it was correctly decided (though it has a decent dissent from Rehnquist of all people arguing against expanding a company’s first amendment rights. Worth a read)

I just went back and looked again and I'm wrong. Two things here:

#1 - Misreading "intrastate commerce" as "interstate" (and it was California Supreme Court)

#2 - Misremembering the outcome of the 1990s deregulation insanity with Enron and abusing spot-trade pricing. For some reason, I remembered PG&E being in on that and not going bankrupt from it.

Sorry about that. I'm completely full of poo poo on the interstate commerce thing.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Against whom, though? It's not like Putin is going to go for Constantinople.

No but they can ask for air support if we are there to ask, we probably share intel, and I think it ends up letting them take our money for us to do some stuff they would otherwise have to deal with themselves. Why wouldn’t they want bases?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Midgetskydiver posted:

The new narrative is that Trump is a peacemaker, just like Jesus would want. Yes I know these are the same people who howled for Iraqi blood.

Donald the Dove.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sir Lemming posted:

What does this tweet even mean

Trump thinks everything in life is like television. His Normandy quote is "a different take" like you might do more than one take for a scene shoot, and since his mush-brain is broken he believes that this alternate take is fake because he thinks it was left on the cutting room floor.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 10, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I love that these idiots can't just believe the president's an idiot who doesn't give a poo poo about the lives of people not related to him

hours, years, whatever, this HAS to be a conspiracy and not just our big dumb boy getting rolled!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Trump's right, the Kurds did nothing to help his people defend the beaches of Normandy

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dave Grool posted:

She should meet my ex :downsrim:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sorry, no jokes allowed!!! Probation! Comedy is forbidden!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

Sorry, no jokes allowed!!! Probation! Comedy is forbidden!

Hack jokes are not immune.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

Incirlik isn't just beneficial to the US. There's no way Turkey would have threatened the US presence there.

Erdogan had no leverage at all. Trump folded entirely because he was terrified that he might be blamed if a confrontation went poorly.

There didn't even need to be a confrontation. Someone goes "you're taking too long to set up a safe zone, we're going to go in to make one ourselves", Trump's answer was just loving "Okay, you got it". The fact that he's telling you he's going to attack, and not just doing it, is an invitation to diplomacy and Trump didn't even make a drat attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's really just occam's razor: trump gets bored when anyone talks about things other than his interests, so there's no need to extort him on syrian kurds, you can just declare unilaterally you're going to do something and count on him being too stupid and lazy to stop you