Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Proteus Jones posted:

I use a 3rd party app called Heart Watch. And the complication shows changes every 15 mins (or so... usually.. still better than having to manually look it up). It also feeds into Health just like the native app.

Cool - Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

That just seems to indicate that you'll get no alerts at all. Do they activate if it detects a high heart rate?

It’s fine

Housh posted:

Dude is critical of the always on display's battery life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TuyvWoaAZk

It’s fine. I did a 1 hour workout, walked around a bunch and still had 40% left at bed time. Watch wearing was from 630am to about 930pm.

People need to quit sperging and poking the watch.

There are legit issues I’m sure but there’s no PERVASIVE HOLY gently caress NUTS problem that these morons are trying to make it out to be.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah seems to be grasping on typical FUD to clickbait.

Damnit UPS info in the app is different from the tracking on the site. Coming tomorrow.

Come on watch!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah his criticism is “i could go 2 days with one charge now I can only go 1 day with a full charge (as advertised) which is about what I’m getting and I’m fine with since even before I charged daily.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Housh posted:

Dude is critical of the always on display's battery life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TuyvWoaAZk

As he should be.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Even if it’s a software thing it sucks that it’s so bad on its release. Not unwarranted criticism.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

It’s fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone have a cellular watch on xfinity mobile? Is it a true $10/month or like ATT’s “$10” a month that’s actually $15?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The $10 fee is the only watch fee that is coming from Comcast, anything else would regulatory/taxes out of their control, not sure what those would be maybe device cost taxes and 911 fees.

Be careful though if independent watch use does start blowing up with like Spotify streaming and whatnot that Xfinity Mobile is going to start attributing that usage to the host phones data plan, and if it’s on a by the gig it will push that usage. Probably negligible currently.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As a rule of thumb, unless it says "fees included" anywhere, especially in the small print, it's always going to be the advertised cost and then a bit of change.

Can't tell you what the cost is, but I am actually still trying to get my wife to move to Xfinity Mobile for sake of saving $20 on our phone bill and being on Verizon's network, not T-Mo's.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What does this dial do? It's listed as the "Solar SubDial", and I thought that it was relative position of the sun in the sky, buuuuuut, it's not, because it's showing that at 830pm and I'm pretty sure the sun is not still up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It's working for me, maybe it's stuck? Sometimes complications get stuck, though your weather complication seems to work, which solar is usually tied to I think. If that's the compass to the left that seems stuck too. What's the solar watch face show?

Also nice avatar/dB combo :v:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My weather complication gets stuck once in awhile. Restarting the watch fixes it.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Mine never got stuck, but would travel around the line constantly. That was fun to watch, but eventually the reason I stopped using it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I can’t see the data source toggles for the Siri face, did the last update break something? I just restarted my phone and watch and still nothing:

edit: never mind, did some searching and the Siri toggles are in the "Clock" settings for some reason. Thanks Apple! :downs:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 11, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Zwille posted:

It's working for me, maybe it's stuck? Sometimes complications get stuck, though your weather complication seems to work, which solar is usually tied to I think. If that's the compass to the left that seems stuck too. What's the solar watch face show?

Also nice avatar/dB combo :v:
Could be. The compass I didn't even notice wasn't working - tapping on it pulled up the actual compass, then it seems to work whenever I raise to wake. Interestingly, this lead me to notice that when it's in AOD mode (I.e., I have not raised my wrist to wake it) the solar subdial is correct, but it immediately goes back to being incorrect when I raise to wake. Right now, if I raise my arm, I see what I would describe as midnight. As I type, just past dawn (which is roughly correct). I'll try restarting the watch and launching the weather app, thank you!

Edit: Oops, missed that part. Solar watch face is correct.

Also, yeah, idk why it showed 90dB. I'm not even a yeller, despite the red text :)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 11, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Minidust posted:

I can’t see the data source toggles for the Siri face, did the last update break something? I just restarted my phone and watch and still nothing:

edit: never mind, did some searching and the Siri toggles are in the "Clock" settings for some reason. Thanks Apple! :downs:

Awesome, I didn't even know those toggles existed. I turned off the ones I was complaining about in my last post

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Minidust posted:

I had the exact same problem and even posted about having to rely on the search to find the new location. Really weird change on Apple's part, unless they're going to do more with Siri later?

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Is it worth getting the series 5 over the series 4? I’ve never had an Apple Watch before and have the iPhone Xr.

I want to use it for sleep tracking and am fine downloading a separate app. Are there any major limitations for it as long as I plan to have it charged before going to bed ?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Double post

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 11, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The major difference is the always-on display. Otherwise, it’s a bigger storage capacity (32gb over the 4’s 16), two new body options (lighter titanium and the return of gross display of wealth ceramic), and uhhhh a compass.

The AOD right now kills the battery. I can still get a full day with sleep tracking out of it, but I have a feeling that a workout would kill it. Pro-tip turn off the AOD before going to sleep to save like 10% battery overnight. Hopefully this is fixed in 6.1.

Otherwise...get the S4. Same screen size, same processing speed, same waterproofing, etc. I love the AOD but I’d hardly call the S5 a major release like the S4 was. It helps that you can probably find good prices on the remaining stock of new S4s right now.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I have a Series 5 44mm SS. I have been wearing mine today since 6am (it's 7:30pm) and I have 59% battery power left. This is typical. I rarely go to bed with less than 45% battery. I have AoD on. What I don't have enabled is cellular. For the people running into problems, do you have cellular and AoD on? I am guessing they are both battery sucks and together, start to push people to the edge of trouble.

Given that even the people paying for cellular are saying they almost never used it, I'd just turn that off and see how it goes. You can always turn the radio back on if you'd like to use it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

With AOD off and LTE on, my battery life closer to my S4 when I’m sticking with bluetooth for 95% of the day. I don’t think it’s the cellular.

Something is wrong with the AOD and draining more power than normal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

AOD definitely sucks juice. There’s gotta be a software issue with it.

And presumably, you get hit with an activation fee every time you re-enable cellular service.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And presumably, you get hit with an activation fee every time you re-enable cellular service.

lol what?

Thats really not how that works.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is it not? I swear I asked ATT when I got my 3 and they said if I deactivate service then reactivate down the road they charge me $36 or whatever. You can’t just flip it on and off like a light switch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think they mean deactivate as in “turn on the equivalent of airplane mode”.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think they mean deactivate as in “turn on the equivalent of airplane mode”.

This.

Even if you deactivate it the watch will still use the cell signal (though not as much) which is why you can still call 911 from a watch with no active service.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ahh gotcha, I misunderstood.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is it not? I swear I asked ATT when I got my 3 and they said if I deactivate service then reactivate down the road they charge me $36 or whatever. You can’t just flip it on and off like a light switch.

For the unlimited call , text and data, yeah all the carriers charge a setup fee each time you turn it in. So if you want it on for your vacation in the summer, $40.

MarcusSA posted:

This.

Even if you deactivate it the watch will still use the cell signal (though not as much) which is why you can still call 911 from a watch with no active service.

US law is that any device that accesses a network has to be able to call 911 at no cost, whether service is active or not.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Krakkles posted:

What does this dial do? It's listed as the "Solar SubDial", and I thought that it was relative position of the sun in the sky, buuuuuut, it's not, because it's showing that at 830pm and I'm pretty sure the sun is not still up.
To confirm what others have said, this is definitely a "it gets stuck sometimes" problem. I had it displayed on mine (S4, watchOS 5, infograph modular face, the solar complication was one of the small round ones) and it would get stuck periodically - no obvious rhyme or reason.

I eventually decided it wasn't actually that useful so I replaced it with my Fantastical complication, and now instead of a questionably accurate sundial I get to see how chronically behind I am on my todo items :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

For the unlimited call , text and data, yeah all the carriers charge a setup fee each time you turn it in. So if you want it on for your vacation in the summer, $40.

US law is that any device that accesses a network has to be able to call 911 at no cost, whether service is active or not.

Yeah which is why I was saying that even if your service is not active it’s still gonna use the LTE so if you don’t have service you should put it in airplane mode.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just went from an OG S0 that was an explosion hazard to an S5. :tviv:

Is there any way to get Dew Point on a watch face? I have Dork Sky on the watch as well.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Is there a website that shows people’s customized faces? I’d like to get some more ideas on how to make my watch look great.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Finally setup my Ti S5 coming from a SS S2. Holy crap it has everything I desired from my old watch. Fast, screen is bigger and brighter, and way lighter. I don't even feel it on.

I'm just continuing to use the Siri face how I had it setup on my old watch and it's great. I love the AOD and how it highlights the time and when I bring it to my face things get bigger and brighter with a slick transition.

Came with a grey sports band too!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, I was suggesting that you turn off the green cell radio button that's in the control panel, not deactivate the service if you have it (I don't). And I don't think that LTE is particularly bad on this edition, just that it seems like the watch is being pushed to using more of its battery budget every day than before with the addition of AoD and if you'e looking for ways to save battery without losing features, turning off LTE might work for some people.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Really happy this first day. Display is amazing and I can handle all my messaging with my watch. This is amazing. I love AOD cause I can catch info in the periphery like a normal watch. The way the Siri face lights up the time and temp, what I check for all the time, just brightens.

It came with a grey sports band and a black sports band that I think I might exchange for something else. Maybe a Nike sports band? I have my black 42mm sports band from the s2 already. Maybe try one of those fabric nylon ones?

Housh fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 12, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So now you can pick whatever band you want at time of purchase, the Nike models are completely silly right? Literally just the same thing but with a flag that says you can use the Nike watch faces.

Or can you not pick an arbitrary band if you get the Nike model?

Edit: Ah, you can’t select a Nike band in the studio unless you start with a Nike model, and Nike models can only select from Nike bands in the studio.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What does everybody use for workouts? Apple's default app? I tried out Zones, which did a pretty good job of visualizing a lot of my workout information, but I think my favorite is WorkOutDoors, which has vector-based maps that can be downloaded directly to the watch.

http://www.workoutdoors.net

I really wish Apple Maps or Google Maps would let me offline download maps to the watch, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

It came with a grey sports band and a black sports band that I think I might exchange for something else. Maybe a Nike sports band? I have my black 42mm sports band from the s2 already. Maybe try one of those fabric nylon ones?
Since you mentioned weight and feel in your other post, you might like the fabric sport loops cause they’re the lightest and most comfortable ones.

Gay Retard posted:

What does everybody use for workouts? Apple's default app? I tried out Zones, which did a pretty good job of visualizing a lot of my workout information, but I think my favorite is WorkOutDoors, which has vector-based maps that can be downloaded directly to the watch.

http://www.workoutdoors.net

I really wish Apple Maps or Google Maps would let me offline download maps to the watch, too.
My first thought was WorkOutDoors cause that’s the only one I have :v:. Been curious if there’s better options for outdoor stuff, or specific activities. My climbing friend just got a watch and mentioned Pinnacle, but looks like there’s a few other options for that. I’m also wondering about snowboarding, there’s some subscription and free options. I’ve just been using WorkOutDoors but not sure it handles snowboarding right (like if it’s tracking lifts as...lifts, ie with no energy expended).

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 12, 2019