Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Q_res posted:

In the Gladiators favor, is there another truck you can even get with a manual transmission in the US now? That would make me at least consider it as an option vs a half ton truck, if I were truck shopping.

for a while you could get a 2WD 4cyl colorado with a manual but i'm too lazy to check if it's still on offer

edit: also, dunno how that dude came up with numbers but USDM a '19 golf r stickers for 41,2 and a '19 gladiator sport stickers for 35

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The driving licensing process needs to be substantially revamped before this is meaningful in any way.

The US driving test is like this but with an auto, confirm/deny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfLNqjh4j0

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Y’all can pry my suburban from my dead cold hands. It’s not small and nimble or fun to drive, it’s horrible to the environment, it’s ugly and starting to rust back into the ground. But you bet your rear end it’s been 300,000 miles of purposeful utility. 7 people plus luggage across the state and country multiple times a year? No problem. Haul a tractor on a trailer? No problem. Haul a snowmobile trailer through 2 ft of snow on the road? No problem. Unplowed country roads with snow drifts over the hood but we still have to get to work? No problem. To be honest I’ll probably get another one when this one finally dies it’s Midwest oxidation death.

I’m also considering buying a used volt for commuting though. :shrug:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

for a while you could get a 2WD 4cyl colorado with a manual but i'm too lazy to check if it's still on offer

edit: also, dunno how that dude came up with numbers but USDM a '19 golf r stickers for 41,2 and a '19 gladiator sport stickers for 35

Tacoma trd pro.has manual standard. Starts at 45k tho

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Nissan Frontier also offers a 6 speed manual, that option looks to be gone on the Colorado though.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

prom candy posted:

there are plenty of chud car forums if that's what you're looking for

I wouldn’t buy one, hell I don’t even like reviewing them. But to pretend you can’t understand why some people like cars where they sit high up and where they can use a hatchback without the American stigma of “you have a hatchback so you must be poor” is just willfully stupid.

Some people like stuff other people don’t like. Lots of people have lovely taste in stuff, vehicles included. Half this forum gets hard when it sees a Ford Crown Victoria with 300k miles, which makes as little sense to me as an Suburban or whatever.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Shocking new development

Supercharged ram truck has been.approved for production.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Shocking new development

Supercharged ram truck has been.approved for production.

hmm seems like they should be trying to make these things not ugly instead of faster

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

wide stance posted:

My main issue with SUVs is how much the extra height blocks visibility for everyone around it who's not also in an SUV. I like seeing what's behind other cars when driving and I really like other cars being able to see me when I'm walking/cycling.

The vast majority of modern CUVs just block visibility for everyone while offering very little extra visibility for their drivers. I've never driven a compact or midsize CUV that actually allows me to easily see over or around the average sedan. I couldn't even see over my friend's Jetta in the rental RAV4 I had earlier this year, and that was with the seat up fairly high. And that's without getting into the weird visibility issues created by the actual design decisions made for a lot of newer CUVs.

My experience driving CUVs is the illusion of a higher seating position with minimal practical benefits.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

hmm seems like they should be trying to make these things not ugly instead of faster

NO design!!!

only Engin

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

drgitlin posted:

Some people like stuff other people don’t like. Lots of people have lovely taste in stuff, vehicles included. Half this forum gets hard when it sees a Ford Crown Victoria with 300k miles, which makes as little sense to me as an Suburban or whatever.

The fact you dont understand says more about you frankly than someone who likes cheap V8s with massive platform support.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

drgitlin posted:

I wouldn’t buy one, hell I don’t even like reviewing them. But to pretend you can’t understand why some people like cars where they sit high up and where they can use a hatchback without the American stigma of “you have a hatchback so you must be poor” is just willfully stupid.

It's not about the aesthetics, it's about the effect on safety for pedestrians, cyclists, and other drivers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's not all "taste" tho, if someone really believes they are safer in a big SUV or truck they are going to buy one even if they think a smaller car is more appealing.

My wife had that irrational thought for years, that any car smaller than a SUV or Town Car was a death trap, it's hard to change that kind of mindset once it's had a grip for awhile.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The one thing I hate about bigger cars is the fact the loving headlights seem to be at the perfect height to blind me no matter whether the car is behind me or heading towards me. That and lights are just getting brighter.

Also related to this is DRLs being bright and always on. Cyclists were always told to have lights on to be seen and now they have to compete with super bright always on LEDs on virtually every car on the road which makes them even harder to spot. It's crazy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
blaming the immigrants for me going bankrupt instead of the fact that I spent $2600/mo on a F-250 Platinum and Escalade ESV for my family of 3 and our 7 mile commutes

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's not all "taste" tho, if someone really believes they are safer in a big SUV or truck they are going to buy one even if they think a smaller car is more appealing.

My wife had that irrational thought for years, that any car smaller than a SUV or Town Car was a death trap, it's hard to change that kind of mindset once it's had a grip for awhile.

Unfortunately IIHS testing keeps showing big heavy cars are safer in crashes than small cars.

I don’t like that fact either.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dk2m posted:

Find yourself driving down any subdivision with a name like Kings Gate or Hidden Woods or The Meadows and you’ll find the market. It’s usually on the outskirts of Major Metro Area and that’s where you’ll find the hulking masses of F350s and Suburbans standing idle. In some way, if you’re a CUV/SUV enthusiast, this is your mecca. Your people. Taking on a 9 year loan to bring your 60K Jeep to a reasonable 1000 a month from all the negative equity you’re carrying over is just what you do.

Your company hasn’t given you a promotion since GWB was president, but it doesn’t matter. Everything else is getting more expensive so credit is your only god now.

This is a quality post.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

drgitlin posted:

Unfortunately IIHS testing keeps showing big heavy cars are safer in crashes than small cars.

this is a forum where pointing out that an F-150 is more dangerous in a crash to other vehicles than a Civic gets you talked down to by people who think that's bullshit because the crash tests are into walls of infinite mass it's just physics duh

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I imagine the person holding the camera laughing hysterically as they drive away

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wheeee posted:

this is a forum where pointing out that an F-150 is more dangerous in a crash to other vehicles than a Civic gets you talked down to by people who think that's bullshit because the crash tests are into walls of infinite mass it's just physics duh

Citation required

No one said that. Everyone is quite well aware that in a crash larger will win, that's Physics 101.

Getiing INTO the accident on the other hand and what happens in a single vehicle crash... thats another discussion.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

58% of collisions are single vehicle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seems like the difference between US and Canadian pricing is more pronounced for the Jeep than the Golf.

Edit: just checked Canadian pricing again on the respective websites, starting prices are 42495 for the Golf, 46995 for the Gladiator.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2019

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KakerMix posted:

I imagine the person holding the camera laughing hysterically as they drive away

I found the original video the PUTAIIIINNNN at the end sent me into hysterics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NIzrVcZH07w

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 10, 2019

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Russian Bear posted:

58% of collisions are single vehicle.

And yet there's still a significant chunk where its vehicle on vehicle I would assume so let's make both those and vehicle on pedestrian a lot more dangerous in exchange for 58% being slightly safer

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I won’t stop until my personal automobile sits 21 adults and weighs over 9,001kg.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

got off on a technicality posted:

I found the original video the PUTAIIIINNNN at the end sent me into hysterics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NIzrVcZH07w

Beautiful.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I won’t stop until my personal automobile sits 21 adults and weighs over 9,001kg.

It’s called a bus, sweetie.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drgitlin posted:

But smaller cars are still safe?

I was in a head on collision in a 2012 Scion xB that I walked away from, if I was in a truck made in the 90's I probably would have been dead or severely injured. Most modern cars are all pretty safe but you still have to do your due diligence and check the ratings. It's just ignorance for some people to say "bigger = safer" and then buy a crew cab pickup when they don't need one because it makes them feel safe.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It’s called a bus, sweetie.

A bus? Hun, that’s for poor people. I’m not sharing my car with disgusting poors. This has to be at least a Mercedes with a custom Gucci interior.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Easily rolling my Navigator because there is a million miles of two lane highways while screaming O'DOYLE RULES

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But smaller cars are still safe?

I was in a head on collision in a 2012 Scion xB that I walked away from, if I was in a truck made in the 90's I probably would have been dead or severely injured. Most modern cars are all pretty safe but you still have to do your due diligence and check the ratings. It's just ignorance for some people to say "bigger = safer" and then buy a crew cab pickup when they don't need one because it makes them feel safe.

But if you were in a modern truck you'd be even safer

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
clearly the only way to protect myself from land barges is a gandini wedge of sharpened damascus steel.

i’m fine with this.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
just think how much safer youd be if you vehicle could tear through the passenger compartment of another vehicle in a side impact!

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

krysmopompas posted:

clearly the only way to protect myself from land barges is a gandini wedge of sharpened damascus steel.

i’m fine with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPjHqSwitcM
Would

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Proud Christian Mom posted:

just think how much safer youd be if you vehicle could tear through the passenger compartment of another vehicle in a side impact!

Gotta go all out and get a stinger style bumper too!

I know I've read of at least one instance where that style bumper penetrated the cabin and literally smashed someones head in!

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I don't get how that mercedes suv tipped over so easily?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

smooth jazz posted:

Probably the inferior European version

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

smooth jazz posted:

I'm assuming it hit that tiny little curb in the middle of the roundabout just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I just assume the grip in those monster tires, plus the torque just flipped it over while it was turning sharply. Even if it did hit a little bump the grip on the tires is what did the flippin'