Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
BSA Decompressor causes errors: the Vigor matic machine in Doc Mitchell's and a bunch of other stuff gets turned into translucent red error exclamations. No information on what to do: what do I do about this? No guide says what to do after using it.

'Bout to throw in the towel on another day of plinking at this because I'm making no progress with the linked guides due to unexplained faults.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Open your fallout.ini for your Mod Organizer 2 profile and replace the SArchiveList entry with this:

SArchiveList=Fallout - Invalidation.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Textures2.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Meshes2.bsa, Fallout - Voices1.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa

The guide assumes that you follow its instructions exactly, so you don't run MO2 at all until after you do the BSA Decompressor. If you go Decompressor -> MO2, the .ini changes are made to the regular .ini files, which then get copied by MO2, but if you do MO2 -> Decompressor, MO2 copies the .ini files before the Decompressor tweaks them, so things end up breaking.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Oh thank goodness thank you. I don't know if I was missing some blurb about not opening MO2 at all but I would have just given up then and there.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I want to play New Vegas in a proper window and it was okay for a bit but something I installed has removed the border around the game window, making it a 1920x1080 borderless screen that I can't move. Any ideas? Installing OneTweak made it borderless fullscreen at first but I changed the .ini and it was as desired.

Following VNV.

Edit: Eh it's not a terribly big deal. Game doesn't seem to have any grand issue with the whole ultrawide thing. Maybe I'll just go full borderless.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 10, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20782/

lmao

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What was it his link to the Bethesda site doesn’t work lol

E. Nvm found it what a baby

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Upmarket Mango posted:

What was it his link to the Bethesda site doesn’t work lol

E. Nvm found it what a baby

his "statement" that's linked is even better

what a baby back bitch

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I mean “i don’t want my work to be monetized and there’s currently no way to opt out here” is a very valid reason to make your stuff private until it changes :shrug:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

watho posted:

I mean “i don’t want my work to be monetized and there’s currently no way to opt out here” is a very valid reason to make your stuff private until it changes :shrug:

Nobody has a monetized Wabbajack list though and even if they did, Wabbajack is open source and mod list files are easy to share. Unless the argument is that Nexus is profiting off their work, which is an absurd stand to take, considering they've been doing that forever.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

watho posted:

Nah, it's a dumb attempt a making a point. They realized that crying over endorsements makes them sound pathetic, so they have moved on to this. Admittedly it sounds like a good point as long as you don't think to hard about it. I mean, the Nexus uses your mods to serve adds and sell subscriptions. It's a for-profit business. Any mod that's uploaded to the nexus is monetized.

The hissy fit they're throwing just boils down to them being scared that their source of e-likes will disappear.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I’m reading up on it and apparently it can only grab mods from nexus if you have a premium account which is not great, and the fact that you can’t opt out also isn’t

Even if the guy is a whiny pissbaby which might be true I have no idea, the general agreement with mod packs is always do it with permission, never require spending money to get it, and make sure everything works well together

sorry if I’m not making any sense dealing with withdrawal from my SSRIs now

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Randaconda posted:

just release Fallout 3 and New Vegas in the FO4 engine, Besthesda. Take my loving money, you cowards.

Sounds like work, how about Skyrim for a fitness watch instead, with all the 1.0 bugs still intact?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

whats wabbajack

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Upmarket Mango posted:

whats wabbajack

A tool that downloads mods, sets up a MO2 instance and does most of the work of installing them for you.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

A tool that downloads mods, sets up a MO2 instance and does most of the work of installing them for you.

whoa no poo poo? its pretty easy to use then? drat that sounds awesome

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's one of Sheogorath's Daedric artifacts.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

so is the stuff about people with patreons just made up i dont get it at all

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Farm Frenzy posted:

so is the stuff about people with patreons just made up i dont get it at all

The Ultimate Skyirm modlist has a Patreon and used Automaton, a precursor for Wabbajack. As far as I know the mod list file was published to the general public, but I loathe Requiem, so I never looked into it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

watho posted:

Even if the guy is a whiny pissbaby which might be true I have no idea, the general agreement with mod packs is always do it with permission, never require spending money to get it, and make sure everything works well together

I think the deal is that, no, not everybody agrees to that, and I say that as a mod author. gently caress these whiny little pissbabies, and good loving riddance.

Upmarket Mango posted:

whats wabbajack

Ligma balls.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Seems to me modders in the BGS community started getting all hostile to users when they started calling themselves authors. I dont see this drama with Morrowind, or Fallout 3/NV. I don't remember anything like this with Oblivion either.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

watho posted:

I’m reading up on it and apparently it can only grab mods from nexus if you have a premium account which is not great, and the fact that you can’t opt out also isn’t

Needing a premium account is more of a download limitations thing on Nexus’s part, not an effort by the Wabajack team to force people into subscribing for a premium Nexus account. They’re not affiliated with Nexus as far as I can tell.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Internet Wizard posted:

Needing a premium account is more of a download limitations thing on Nexus’s part, not an effort by the Wabajack team to force people into subscribing for a premium Nexus account. They’re not affiliated with Nexus as far as I can tell.

They're not. The premium subscription is needed to access the API they use to automate downloads. If you don't want to do that, you can just manually download the mods and point Wabbajack at the folder you downloaded them to.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

Seems to me modders in the BGS community started getting all hostile to users when they started calling themselves authors. I dont see this drama with Morrowind, or Fallout 3/NV. I don't remember anything like this with Oblivion either.
This problem has always been around. I mean, Wrye wrote his Cathedral vs Parlor thing way back in 2005. You don't see much - if any - of this sort of nonsense in Morrowind's modding community today because the motivation of anyone modding Morrowind in 2019 is probably more about having fun.
Anyone who wants attention jumps to the latest games, because there's where the biggest audience is.

The drama queens have become louder. In part because the Nexus became the main center of modding and spend years enabeling them. But I also would like think that they're getting a bit desperate because the modding community in general would like modding to take less time and is starting to get fed up with this stupidity.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

I think the deal is that, no, not everybody agrees to that, and I say that as a mod author. gently caress these whiny little pissbabies, and good loving riddance.

I mean “most people agree that you should ask for permission before you use someone else’s stuff” should not make you this mad

like whenever I put something out i tend to make it public domain but I still respect that other people generally want you to ask before you use what they’ve made in something else

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's Bethesda's stuff

watho
Aug 2, 2013

are you really this against the concept of asking for permission if it isn’t explicitly granted?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bethesda technically owns anything created by their various creation kits.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

watho posted:

are you really this against the concept of asking for permission if it isn’t explicitly granted?
Wait, are you really trying to bring the issue of consent into this? Because they're just mods.

For mods it's dumb to hold the "must ask permission" sacred. There are a whole bunch of abandoned mods with bugs or that need to be updated to work right. On the Nexus you can't fix any of them, because the modder who hosed of years ago and is never coming back, didn't give the sacred permission. It only really exists because the ~authors~ want to have their little power trips where they can grant or deny their precious gifts to the plebs.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I still get irritated that I have to install the mod configuration menu AND the mcm bugfix 2 file and it's been like that for over 6 years now.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lol I'm remembering that idiot who shoved a bunch of Oblivion gates in with his Skyrim mod and the absolute shitfit he threw when someone modded them back out. How dare they violate his vision??? Good times.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Wait, are you really trying to bring the issue of consent into this? Because they're just mods.

For mods it's dumb to hold the "must ask permission" sacred. There are a whole bunch of abandoned mods with bugs or that need to be updated to work right. On the Nexus you can't fix any of them, because the modder who hosed of years ago and is never coming back, didn't give the sacred permission. It only really exists because the ~authors~ want to have their little power trips where they can grant or deny their precious gifts to the plebs.

“be nice to people”

“ARE YOU SAYING THIS IS AS BAD AS RAPE????? WHAT IF SOMEONE IS DEAD HOW CAN YOU ASK THEM THEN????????”

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Oh, gently caress off with that dumb, low-effort trolling.
I would like people to be nice to each other. I would like modders to just have fun, enjoy themselves, not have overblown egos and not throw one dumb hissy fit after the other. But instead we a couple of dramaqueen ~authors~ throwing a temper tantrum over absolutely nothing. They'll live if I don't give single poo poo about their imaginary problem of not getting enough likes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I mean all I did was say that you should ask someone for permission before you put their stuff in a public mod pack was and people said that I was drawing comparisons to consent (drawing loving rape comparisons) and insane loving hypotheticals that obviously are exceptions

The fact that some modders are awful people doesn’t mean you can’t show some loving courtesy to any of them

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It feels like things escalated quickly here.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

watho posted:

I mean all I did was say that you should ask someone for permission before you put their stuff in a public mod pack was and people said that I was drawing comparisons to consent (drawing loving rape comparisons) and insane loving hypotheticals that obviously are exceptions

The fact that some modders are awful people doesn’t mean you can’t show some loving courtesy to any of them

You do realize that the mod packs being discussed aren't prepackaged and the file is downloaded from the location the modder uploaded it to in the state it was uploaded at, right? For literally everything except their precious likes, it makes no meaningful difference to the mod auteur, but to the end user it ends up being a huge timersaver, to the tune of tens of hours in the case of even modest mod setups. It's just a mod list that happens to automate the tedium and help remove the human error variable.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah

e: just to clarify I’m not saying that it’s a bad tool or that it shouldn’t be used or anything like that at all, all I’ve said since going back on my pills is that the common courtesy for public mod packs is get permission, make sure nothing clashes, and don’t put it behind a paywall

watho fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 10, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I need to make these faces clean. Can anyone help me with that

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

watho posted:

Yeah

e: just to clarify I’m not saying that it’s a bad tool or that it shouldn’t be used or anything like that at all, all I’ve said since going back on my pills is that the common courtesy for mod packs is get permission, make sure nothing clashes, and don’t put it behind a paywall

Why on Earth would you need permission to link to something posted to the public? That's literally all these mod lists are, a collection of links and instructions on how to make them play nicely together once downloaded. That Wabbajack automates this process doesn't change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah, again I’m not talking about the tool