Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dead Goon posted:

Extinction Rebellion is just LARPing, isn't it?

I think it’s what was suggested earlier in the thread, people who have bought into the propaganda about previous protests now deciding to protest for the first time in their lives. They’ve been convinced their whole lives that the system works to fix problems if you engage with it, and it’ll take more than one occasion of the police beating them down for the spell to break.

It’s frustrating seeing them rubbish the advice of experienced protesters, but those people will end up as disillusioned with the police as everyone else after a few years of being ignored or kettled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

baka kaba posted:

Is there any chance that XR is doing the Ghandi-style "walk smilingly into their machinegunsprison cells" thing to try and normalise protest over climate crisis, and also make people see how even that friendliest, most cooperative activism gets cracked down, to show there's a need for far more radical action?

not that it makes it good or effective, but is there a goal behind trying to bring everyone in and then get them arrested as quickly as possible?

I've met someone who says that's their master plan but he's an idiot and low level as far as I can tell and that's a loving galaxy brain strategy if I've ever seen one.

Best way to start organisations willing to break the law is make sure all your members have criminal records or have been ID-ed by the police well in advance.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Went to see the joker last night and for all the controversy it was actually really good. A bunch of people argued that it's an incel film that legitimises the violent outbursts of mediocre white men but having seen it you'd have to be an idiot to read it like that (or a centrist, in case there's a difference)
Chapo just did an episode about it, and the consensus is that it's good, and then they argued about the different reasons it's good for the rest of the cast. Amber also made a really good point that a lot of the people complaining loudest about it admit to not seeing it in the articles they're writing.

Personally I liked Matt's take that it's accidentally good if you view it as an origin of the Joker as a cultural phenomenon, rather than as an origin story for the character of the Joker.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Chapo just did an episode about it, and the consensus is that it's good, and then they argued about the different reasons it's good for the rest of the cast. Amber also made a really good point that a lot of the people complaining loudest about it admit to not seeing it in the articles they're writing.

Personally I liked Matt's take that it's accidentally good if you view it as an origin of the Joker as a cultural phenomenon, rather than as an origin story for the character of the Joker.

It's definitely the leftiest comic-book movie in ages, and kinda makes up for the hand wringing centrist liberalism of The Dark Knight Rises.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Went to see the joker last night and for all the controversy it was actually really good. A bunch of people argued that it's an incel film that legitimises the violent outbursts of mediocre white men but having seen it you'd have to be an idiot to read it like that (or a centrist, in case there's a difference)
Liberals Gonna Liberal.

baka kaba posted:

Is there any chance that XR is doing the Ghandi-style "walk smilingly into their machinegunsprison cells" thing to try and normalise protest over climate crisis, and also make people see how even that friendliest, most cooperative activism gets cracked down, to show there's a need for far more radical action?

not that it makes it good or effective, but is there a goal behind trying to bring everyone in and then get them arrested as quickly as possible?
Much as Martin don't work without Malcolm, Gandhi requires Bose to be truly effective.

Not this one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since it's someone I like I felt I had to let him know the truth

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1182229019833581568?s=19

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

baka kaba posted:

People always forget (or rather, don't know) that Gandhi's strategy partly worked because there were other pro-independence factions that were very much advocating violent action. He might not have said it explicitly but he was setting himself up as an acceptable alternative.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 10, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Joker is a good movie that I never want to see again. I can sort of see where the people calling it pro-incel are coming from, but they have to ignore the fact that Arthur is by his own admission mentally ill. He's never actually rejected by Sophie; all his interactions with her are his own fantasy about developing a relationship with her.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
who was it earlier asking what toe curling meant with relation to cringe

https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/1182187403135598592

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

in other liz truss news

https://twitter.com/UkrainianAK/status/1181938224450740224?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Joker is a good movie that I never want to see again. I can sort of see where the people calling it pro-incel are coming from, but they have to ignore the fact that Arthur is by his own admission mentally ill. He's never actually rejected by Sophie; all his interactions with her are his own fantasy about developing a relationship with her.

Yeah but the whole bit with her was a vanishingly small subplot and the film would have worked just as well without it

During the entire movie not a single person died who didn't deserve it

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Jedit posted:

Joker is a good movie that I never want to see again.

I went in half expecting to hate it but I found it really compelling and interesting and absolutely grindingly depressing. The 'gently caress the rich, they don't care about you' message is Good but overall it's just a dark as gently caress movie and it made me sad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1182230603741253633?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

floofyscorp posted:

I went in half expecting to hate it but I found it really compelling and interesting and absolutely grindingly depressing. The 'gently caress the rich, they don't care about you' message is Good but overall it's just a dark as gently caress movie and it made me sad.

Yeah this is also my exact experience but I quite like needlessly grimdark noir nonsense so it didn't bother me so much

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Tory Minister: lying or stupid? seems like it would be an even harder game than comment or commentariat

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jose posted:

the head of XR is on question time tonight lol

He went to college with, you guessed it, Joris. Wonder if he's going to pull the trick he did the other day on Daily Politics. He had written his nieces names on his forearm (in lipstick it looked like) "I'm doing this for them!" Then couldn't remember their ages when asked.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cuckfield, sussex

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1182232629959114757?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

What about the well-meaning social worker at the end?

Personally I could have done without the scenes of the mob celebrating Arthur at the end. Obviously you can make a strong argument that's all just delusion and he's already in the asylum at that point, but still would have made its point about media complicity a lot better if it had just ended at the zoom out on all the news channels reporting on his reverse Budd Dwyer moment with DeNiro. Not doing anything that Network didn't cover 40 years ago but still neat

Liked the movie a lot though and agree with Chapo that it had pretty good, if very unsubtle politics. Laughed at the comparison to Ken Loach but that's America for you.

Joaquin was immensely good in the role, though he should have gotten the Oscar for You Were Never Really Here

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 10, 2019

Clarence
May 3, 2012

baka kaba posted:

I think it's just trying to get as many people involved as quickly as possible. Most of them probably wouldn't get involved in anything more radical - so that "normalise protest over climate crisis" is probably on the nose.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

What about the well-meaning social worker at the end?

Oh yeah fair point I'd forgotten that.

When I think about it they also leave the fate of the neighbour he has a crush on relatively ambiguous.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

What? It was a character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj65JgmJBYc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Horrible poshos pretending to be working class because they think it's funny does not endear me to horrible poshos.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Reveilled posted:

It’s frustrating seeing them rubbish the advice of experienced protesters, but those people will end up as disillusioned with the police as everyone else after a few years of being ignored or kettled.

Maybe it isn’t a bad thing they are not taking too much advice from experienced protestors. I mean, if capitalism has already been successfully overthrown by those protest experts, then no one told me.

‘How to fail’ is any easy lesson to learn; few need advice to help them do so.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah but the whole bit with her was a vanishingly small subplot and the film would have worked just as well without it

I don't know about that.

The purpose of Sophie is to mess with the audience's head and also to show that Arthur isn't always a reliable narrator.
Hell one take (and normally I am against these super bleak "the whole movie was a dying vision" takes, but in Joker it is supported by the story.) is that the whole film is a delusion that Arthur has from Arkham. How he mentions at the start being in Arkham and its shot exactly like how it looks when he returns there.

As for all the people killed in the film, the three yuppies are killed because of how a frightened Arthur reacts to a threatening situation.
He kills his mother because he is angry at her for not stopping abuse. (A really common factor in cases where people are abused and end up standing aside and not stopping other abuse.)
He kills his co-worker because he thinks he will rat him out and he kills Murray as a sort of punchline.

And in some readings of what happened Arthur may have killed Sophie (the neighbor) and the social worker at the end and you can't really say that their death served a greater good.

The main take is that people (in the movie and outside) see the Joker killing people as part of a crusade.
But the Joker doesn't do that. He kills people for selfish reasons and then rationalise it after the fact.

As contrasted with Batman, who appears to use violence out of some selfish reason, but it is always to further a crusade of saving Gotham/the world.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 10, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I love these.

And I love that they've cherry-picked some projection based on a yougov poll from last month, because the actual voting record is utterly abysmally poo poo for the lib dems in that constituency

Can't wait to see him lose his seat

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think it was in an Every Frame a Painting video, but someone said that the Joker does bad things for good reasons, and Batman does good things for bad reasons, and I like that as an overview.

The Joker's motivation is overturning the social order, and in the Nolan films targets billionaires, banks and corrupt politicians to do so - he just uses the mob and explosions and things with a lot of collateral damage because he believes nobody is innocent.

Batman fights the bad acts but does so because of underlying psychological damage and to preserve his wealth and the status quo, and unless he's in a Zach Snyder movie tends to preserve life and prevent collateral while doing so.

I think it was an indirect quote from Christopher Nolan, and despite his burning passion for centrism, it's sort of right.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 10, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

I don't know about that.

The purpose of Sophie is to mess with the audience's head and also to show that Arthur isn't always a reliable narrator.
Hell one take (and normally I am against these super bleak "the whole movie was a dying vision" takes, but in Joker it is supported by the story.) is that the whole film is a delusion that Arthur has from Arkham.

Not wanting to get all CineD about this but he has a delusion in the film and they go out of their way to show how it wasn't real just to make sure the audience gets it. This movie is not a puzzle box to be solved, it's very straightforward. Death forever to lovely rear end "it was all a dream" interpretations..

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

And I love that they've cherry-picked some projection based on a yougov poll from last month, because the actual voting record is utterly abysmally poo poo for the lib dems in that constituency
It's the logical extension of the 'winning here' line, extending it to just outright lying about their chances.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Not going to lie I think a batman reboot with him as the villain would be pretty excellent and a cool way to reimagine the franchise while doing something actually cool and thoughtful

E: no I don't mean batman as an anti hero like he's always been, an out and out villain

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Liberal Democrats
:clegg: Here!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

Not wanting to get all CineD about this but he has a delusion in the film and they go out of their way to show how it wasn't real just to make sure the audience gets it. This movie is not a puzzle box to be solved, it's very straightforward. Death forever to lovely rear end "it was all a dream" interpretations..

Agreed, though I do think it's fair to speculate that everything from the cop car crash to the asylum didn't happen, and in the end he is not in fact valourised by the mob.

No more annoying spoiler text posts though, sorry. Movie is entertaining, has politics

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Is everyone else excited for the new series of Parliament on Monday? I heard a rumour they were going to write out one of the lead characters at the end of the month, and there might be a special Halloween episode.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

Not going to lie I think a batman reboot with him as the villain would be pretty excellent and a cool way to reimagine the franchise while doing something actually cool and thoughtful

E: no I don't mean batman as an anti hero like he's always been, an out and out villain

So the plot centres on a family in Gotham where one of the characters is a social worker trying to engage with the needy while struggling with all the obvious social issues in the city but any work they do with anyone veering into the crime circuit is immediately hosed up by the vigilante the Bat Man who the cops only pretend to pursue because he does a lot of work for them. Eventually the social worker attracts the Bat Man attention and so there's a bit of cat and mouse leading to the reveal of who the Bat Man is...

Not sure how to end that but yeah I'd watch it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Yes, it’s a conscious tactic, not just a vague, general love for the police from the middle-classes. Here’s a video from Ash Sarkar about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwFvcc-jsZQ

I’m pretty sceptical on whether it will work or on how long it will last, but it is definitely a planned approach.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Man Bat > Bat Man

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

So the plot centres on a family in Gotham where one of the characters is a social worker trying to engage with the needy while struggling with all the obvious social issues in the city but any work they do with anyone veering into the crime circuit is immediately hosed up by the vigilante the Bat Man who the cops only pretend to pursue because he does a lot of work for them. Eventually the social worker attracts the Bat Man attention and so there's a bit of cat and mouse leading to the reveal of who the Bat Man is...

Not sure how to end that but yeah I'd watch it.
Have the first one be a hired thug who is remotely killed or mentally incapacitated by some remote trickery.

Then the real Batman is unmasked as Bruce Wayne, who slides easily out of the trial due to being a tech billionaire, and then calls the social worker a pedophile.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I polled 100 members during my constituency Lib Dem meeting and 42% of them want to Chuka win. Feel free to use that Chuka.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Necrothatcher posted:

If we're going to go all CineD with contrarian takes of dumb movies, let us not waste our time on comic book fare. Instead, let us rhapsodise on how Freddy Got Fingered is the single greatest artistic achievement of the 21st century.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

If we're going to go all CineD with contrarian takes of dumb movies, let us not waste our time on comic book fare. Instead, let us rhapsodise on how Freddy Got Fingered is the single greatest artistic achievement of the 21st century.

Unlike Joker, it addressed the most relevant question of our age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2aKsoizx1w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese