Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Unlike Joker, it addressed the most relevant question of our age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2aKsoizx1w

What's great about this film is it has all the levels and I like it on all of them. Ironically, sincerely, as a super dumb gross out comedy, as a work of art by an auteur with more money than he ever expected to be given to make his art, as a deconstruction of Farrelly Brothers style of movie by simply taking it as far as the Hollywood system would let it go. All the levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

jesus, I think I've got a copy of that hanging around somewhere

I've still got a physical copy but it's also on Steam now!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The sweet release of death is almost upon us peeps:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/08/tories-tweet-people-mental-health-conditions-neutered-10881980/?ito=article.mweb.share.top.link

quote:

A Tory Twitter account tweeted that people with mental health conditions should be ‘neutered’.

The embarrassing error came this morning as they tried to call for more support for people. Instead, they came over as if they had a plan to sterilise anyone who ever took a packet of Fluoxetine.

The Islington Conservatives tweet read: ‘Great initiative by the Conservatives. Anyone with any mental health problems should be neutered and helped because #everymindmatters.’

It was quickly followed up by deletion and an apology saying: ‘Good morning, we tweeted this morning about mental health and included a typo that was completely unacceptable. ‘Please accept this as a genuine mistake and our sincerest apologies over this matter.’

Even so, not everyone was convinced… One user wrote: ‘FYI this is called a “freudian slip”‘. Another said simply: ‘Sure pal’.

Islington Conservatives reiterated again: ‘All, we sincerely apologise for this typo. It was meant to read “nurtured.” Please accept this apology as genuine and sincere.’

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

What's great about this film is it has all the levels and I like it on all of them. Ironically, sincerely, as a super dumb gross out comedy, as a work of art by an auteur with more money than he ever expected to be given to make his art, as a deconstruction of Farrelly Brothers style of movie by simply taking it as far as the Hollywood system would let it go. All the levels.

I think red letter media did a fantastic review of this last year.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think it was in an Every Frame a Painting video, but someone said that the Joker does bad things for good reasons, and Batman does good things for bad reasons, and I like that as an overview.

The Joker's motivation is overturning the social order, and in the Nolan films targets billionaires, banks and corrupt politicians to do so - he just uses the mob and explosions and things with a lot of collateral damage because he believes nobody is innocent.

Batman fights the bad acts but does so because of underlying psychological damage and to preserve his wealth and the status quo and unless he's in a Zach Snyder movie tends to preserve life and prevent collateral while doing so.

I think it was an indirect quote from Christopher Nolan, and despite his burning passion for centrism, it's sort of right.

The thing I find funny about this is people (not just you but critics, fans, even psychologists) all try to find a deeper meaning to the Joker's actions or suggest that hes an agent for social change.

But he never is.
It doesn't matter if he's a person with mental illness, a good person who suffered "one bad day" or a gangster playing at being crazy to game the system. He's always a person who does what he does for himself.
He is just really good at selling his bullshit. He is just someone who co-ops messages when they suit him and dumps them later.

Even in Nolan's films he is all "do I look like a guy with a plan?" Yes you do. You have a plan that involves putting bombs on ferries.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I think red letter media did a fantastic review of this last year.

I was so excited to see that because I felt vindicated. Specifically there was a bit at the end of the review where Jay mentioned "Tom Green talked about a Directors Cut" & Mike's eyes just lit up and this was me. Give me more horrendously awful, amoral and dark deconstruction of really mediocre studio comedies. Fucksake, that film is so unrelenting and dark (and not in the way dark has come to mean some loving stupid Zack Snyder film with interminable fight scenes) and mean.

Like, it's a Hollywood comedy with a name explicitly referencing molestation. It's not funny in & of itself (okay, it's a little funny), but in the metacontext of who funded the film (Regency did The King of Comedy and JFK and Pretty Woman) it is hilarious because how did that get approved?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 10, 2019

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it comes up on the rlm thing but the ebert review - even though he, correctly, called the movie total garbage he acknowledged it was unique garbage. one of rip torn's finest performances, too.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

The Question IRL posted:

The thing I find funny about this is people (not just you but critics, fans, even psychologists) all try to find a deeper meaning to the Joker's actions or suggest that hes an agent for social change.

But he never is.

Nolan's joker has huge agency imo.

In the opening act of the Dark Knight he ends mob rule of Gotham, achieving Batman and Dent's ambitions before the film has even properly got going. By the end he has united the people of Gotham against his philosophical target (Batman). This video is pretty much the last word on Nolan's joker for me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFTmCqq-rYc - it essentially argues he is the Dark Knight's main protagonist.

Far more importantly though I am very much looking forward to Parliament's Saturday night special!

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 10, 2019

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

"Tories here" label surprisingly accurate.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

radmonger posted:

Maybe it isn’t a bad thing they are not taking too much advice from experienced protestors. I mean, if capitalism has already been successfully overthrown by those protest experts, then no one told me.

‘How to fail’ is any easy lesson to learn; few need advice to help them do so.

You are such a loving idiot

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah, but the Joker isn't real. The people who write, direct and perform the films he's in are, and they actually are trying to provide a deeper meaning and suggest that he's an "agent of social change".

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The real hero of Gotham is that dude who killed Wayne's parents.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Rarity posted:

You are such a loving idiot

Exactly as stupid as the Extinction Rebellion leadership, I would say, because that does seem to be how they think. They're not teaching you how to fail, you idiots, they're teaching you how to survive in an incredibly hostile system. They learned these things the hard way, and because of your arrogance you will have to do that too. loving middle class brain geniuses convinced they're good at everything automatically :D

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Nosfereefer posted:

To the contrary. I think you'll find it's capitalism that allowed the Wayne family to flourish and have stuff worth nicking in the first place.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Nosfereefer posted:

Which until now I always thought as the Joker because of the 1989 film.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

forkboy84 posted:

I was so excited to see that because I felt vindicated. Specifically there was a bit at the end of the review where Jay mentioned "Tom Green talked about a Directors Cut" & Mike's eyes just lit up and this was me. Give me more horrendously awful, amoral and dark deconstruction of really mediocre studio comedies. Fucksake, that film is so unrelenting and dark (and not in the way dark has come to mean some loving stupid Zack Snyder film with interminable fight scenes) and mean.

Like, it's a Hollywood comedy with a name explicitly referencing molestation. It's not funny in & of itself (okay, it's a little funny), but in the metacontext of who funded the film (Regency did The King of Comedy and JFK and Pretty Woman) it is hilarious because how did that get approved?

Even if you view it as a deconstruction of those sorts of comedy films, FGF is still absolute irredeemable trash and any sort of commentary you may be crediting it with is almost certainly unintended. Tom Green was simply flinging poo poo and seeing what stuck. I watched it as a 14 year old and laughed because it was absurd, but that is reliant on shock value. Its hard to be shocked by it once you know its coming and without the bewilderment and confusion to mask it, its honestly just really really dull. If you honestly, really rate this film, then I suggest you watch Movie 43 because you might actually enjoy that too and you deserve it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

!!!THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!

I will be within spitting distance of the Queen tomorrow as she is visiting the council housing my parents live at and I'm visiting. It seems a waste to be within spitting distance of the queen and not spit on the queen, but it also might upset a bunch of old nurses and firefighters

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Set up a bucket of water perched precariously on top of a doorway and let her spit on herself

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lunge wildly at her imo

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Calico Heart posted:

I will be within spitting distance of the Queen tomorrow as she is visiting the council housing my parents live at and I'm visiting. It seems a waste to be within spitting distance of the queen and not spit on the queen, but it also might upset a bunch of old nurses and firefighters

This is like the trolley problem. By spitting on the queen you save Boris from the tower but by spitting you topple the monarchy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, but the Joker isn't real. The people who write, direct and perform the films he's in are, and they actually are trying to provide a deeper meaning and suggest that he's an "agent of social change".
Which is why I thought Chapo's take on it was interesting - viewed as being about the origin of the Joker phenomenon rather than the Joker himself, viewing it as being about the society* rather than the man, it's twice as interesting as the filmmakers were probably intending.

It's a good episode and you should listen to it at least as far as the Aussie review, which is slightly overplayed but great nonetheless.

* WE LIVE IN A

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 10, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

You uh, might want to delete this. Security services have monitored this thread in the past.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well Rupert Reed the XR guy wrote this a few years back...

https://theecologist.org/2014/jun/19/love-immigrants-rather-large-scale-immigration

Just endless bad politics for anyone who isn't middle class and white. No wonder they had to bake in 'no politics please' or they would actually have to confront this shite.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

You uh, might want to delete this. Security services have monitored this thread in the past.
Not to mention that goons might work out where you live and patio you.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Trickjaw posted:

He went to college with, you guessed it, Joris. Wonder if he's going to pull the trick he did the other day on Daily Politics. He had written his nieces names on his forearm (in lipstick it looked like) "I'm doing this for them!" Then couldn't remember their ages when asked.

I think I saw a clip of that, if it's the one where he goes "one's about 10, the other's in their teens".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

HJB posted:

I think I saw a clip of that, if it's the one where he goes "one's about 10, the other's in their teens".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNvDRAYJfo&t=92s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Calico Heart posted:

Get Jose to PM you some pics and print them off and show them to her

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Well Rupert Reed the XR guy wrote this a few years back...

https://theecologist.org/2014/jun/19/love-immigrants-rather-large-scale-immigration

Just endless bad politics for anyone who isn't middle class and white. No wonder they had to bake in 'no politics please' or they would actually have to confront this shite.
He does at least mention the need to do this by more foreign aid that isn't arms sales to build up the areas that are being turned into desolation zones by emigration, both domestically and internationally, rather than throwing up walls and machinegun posts like the European right want to do.

There's a big difference between "people shouldn't feel pushed to travel thousands of miles to live and work in Europe" and "people shouldn't be allowed to travel thousands of miles to live and work in Europe", or "climate change displacing millions of people in the Global South is terrible" and "climate change displacing millions of people in the Global South is terrible because they might move next door to me", and in the middle are the people saying "these people all sound exactly the same" while refusing to fund increases in public services.

Weaksauce half-burns about fascism though.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Get Jose to PM you some pics and print them off and show them to her
She's seen far worse, Andrew's on the family cloud.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Necrothatcher posted:

Did it not turn out that this was because Jakabite was duplicating a bunch of his posts from here on facebook, and one of those posts was "I'm going to waterbomb the Olympic torch"?

e/ although probably best to err on the side of caution for the sake of the forums if not yourself, iirc LF did get Lowtax a call from the US secret service or something over presidential murderchat

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 10, 2019

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

To the contrary. I think you'll find it's capitalism that allowed the Wayne family to flourish and have stuff worth nicking in the first place.

This is literal text in the first Nolan film isn't it? Something about how evil Liam Neeson "uses economics" to wreck havoc on the city but is thwarted by good capitalist Batman's Dad building a monorail and staving off recession. Which seems like pure centrism.txt: mass transit and infrastructure projects can be good economic stimuli, but only when undertaken by hard-working entrepreneurs rather than the state

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

HJB posted:

Yep, that's the dipshit. Total centrist fop, who would probably be out with his shot gun if you dawdled on to the inevitable right of way running through his estate.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Braggart posted:

They’re not teaching you how to fail, you idiots, they're teaching you how to survive in an incredibly hostile system.

In other words, how to make protestIng a life long hobby, not something you do with the aim of achieving some political or social change.

To cross the streams, the Joker has been killing people on the streets of Gotham city for like 40 years now, with supernatural skill, above the reach of the state or even other mythical figures. If he was an agent of social change , then when is that change scheduled for again?

You get Joker-like figures in the kinds of tribal societies that don’t meaningfully change over the millennia; they represent the eternal possibility of change, forever delayed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

radmonger posted:

In other words, how to make protestIng a life long hobby, not something you do with the aim of achieving some political or social change.

To cross the streams, the Joker has been killing people on the streets of Gotham city for like 40 years now, with supernatural skill, above the reach of the state or even other mythical figures. If he was an agent of social change , then when is that change scheduled for again?

You get Joker-like figures in the kinds of tribal societies that don’t meaningfully change over the millennia; they represent the eternal possibility of change, forever delayed.

Please stop making metaphors. Your metaphors are somehow worse than your insipid and stupid politics.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

radmonger posted:

my god you're a dumbass

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

He does at least mention the need to do this by more foreign aid that isn't arms sales to build up the areas that are being turned into desolation zones by emigration, both domestically and internationally, rather than throwing up walls and machinegun posts like the European right want to do.

There's a big difference between "people shouldn't feel pushed to travel thousands of miles to live and work in Europe" and "people shouldn't be allowed to travel thousands of miles to live and work in Europe", or "climate change displacing millions of people in the Global South is terrible" and "climate change displacing millions of people in the Global South is terrible because they might move next door to me", and in the middle are the people saying "these people all sound exactly the same" while refusing to fund increases in public services.

Weaksauce half-burns about fascism though.

I'm not going to let

"Yes: just because Hitler liked something doesn't mean it was necessarily bad. But there is a genuine similarity between why governments now secretly like mass immigration, and why fascism openly encouraged population growth."

Slide because that's just UKIP talk in nicer language. You solve the problems globally and then let people move where they like because that's what global equality means rather than quibbling over who gets to move where which will always be racist and classist.

Also goatse the queen, make this happen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

radmonger posted:

This isn't some new tactic, though? It's an old, failed tactic. The history of the twentieth century is littered with the bones of protest groups who thought they could tank the legal fees from having most of their people arrested.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

radmonger posted:

How the gently caress do you function in real life?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jose posted:

Cuckfield, sussex

I was born and raised 5 mins from there, in the picturesque village of Nutley

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Niric posted:

This might be of interest to some people here: Momentum are launching a volunteer research project to "collate vital information about opposition candidates - and much more" for the (presumably) upcoming election. If you can spare ~3 hrs a week and want to help get a Labour government, sign up here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPBceytBGB9aZWyDMIDJivokm40sa7PuOoufmcPoEp-U383A/viewform

Already signed up and got trained :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Already signed up and got trained :getin:

We're not supposed to talk about the super secret antifa training. :shhh: