Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Looks like it's time for a long session of delving into the Catacrypts and eating some children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Something happened in Arcanum again, this time it's like my dude isn't auto-attacking any more? It feels like it's taking ages to kill even trivial enemies.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah I'm actually kind of done with Arcanum. It seems fun, but skill research starts taking forever later, and it kind of just peters out into kind of boring.

Maybe it'll be really fun some day.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea progress is both too fast and too slow at the same time, there's a part in the middle where you're discovering stuff and the game starts to expand that is wonderful, but then you start maxing out skills and the only stuff to increase will take literal years.

Lots of potential though, I re-open it every couple days to see what new things are unlocked.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

KazigluBey posted:

Something happened in Arcanum again, this time it's like my dude isn't auto-attacking any more? It feels like it's taking ages to kill even trivial enemies.
When the dev put the spell-list in they also changed it - intentionally or otherwise - so that you only attack with a weapon when you can't cast any of your memorised spells. So if you, like, memorise buffs that you want to keep up during combat or something rational like that, you will cast those on your turn instead of using your weapon to deal damage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KazigluBey posted:

...which does mean that weapon enchantments matter at least :eng99:

(seriously though, those don't carry buffs over to spells, right?)

Also, I think it's possible to meet the requirements to unlock all four top-tier classes and am doing a run to prove it, even though you then get nothing to show for it

Anyways, what I came to post: what's the point of spellcraft, does it just let you slam tiny buffs together into one autocast spell? And are there better boots than level 1, cause Quick Boots II exists but I'm rocking the Leather Boots, despite two complete runs of the old-size Catacrypts

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

NGU question: I've done a Basic and a 24h challenge and just finally got my first manual kill on the first Titan. Should I start actually messing with Wandoos or should I keep putting it off?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Heads up, there's a Halloween event ongoing for Arcanum, which includes new resources, new upgrades, a new non-combat dungeon and new furniture. Take note of the fact that the seasonal furniture does not take up space, so it's free to add to your home, more or less.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KazigluBey posted:

Heads up, there's a Halloween event ongoing for Arcanum, which includes new resources, new upgrades, a new non-combat dungeon and new furniture. Take note of the fact that the seasonal furniture does not take up space, so it's free to add to your home, more or less.

There is a LOT of Halloween content. This dev is a madman.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

RE: Arcanum's Crypt getting another 9000 levels: It seems to be to smooth out the difficulty curve a bit, more time grinding on somewhat less powerful enemies to get the gear you need for the powerful monsters at the end.

as for the halloween content, the idea of my grey necromancer running around stealing peoples pumpkins amuses me to no end

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Arcanuse posted:

RE: Arcanum's Crypt getting another 9000 levels: It seems to be to smooth out the difficulty curve a bit, more time grinding on somewhat less powerful enemies to get the gear you need for the powerful monsters at the end.

as for the halloween content, the idea of my grey necromancer running around stealing peoples pumpkins amuses me to no end

Apparently there's also new gear in the catacrypts, further smoothing it out.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Figured out why Arcanum's combat became a slog: Currently, you'll re-cast buffs even if they haven't expired. It chews up a ton of actions if you have a lot of buffs you want. This needs to (and I'm sure will be) changed to only re-casting buffs once they're expired, or close to expiring.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The leather charm from the halloween area (Leather Hestia's Charm) seems to have a really high enchantment cap. I'm at 30 life pool enchantments and 23 sturdy armor enchantments and I'm still going.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

RoboCicero posted:

The leather charm from the halloween area (Leather Hestia's Charm) seems to have a really high enchantment cap. I'm at 30 life pool enchantments and 23 sturdy armor enchantments and I'm still going.

Wait you can enchant something more than once

Son of a...

That said the biggest current catacrypt issue is stamina regen

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Eldercain posted:

Wait you can enchant something more than once

Son of a...

That said the biggest current catacrypt issue is stamina regen

the earth/geomancer upgrade line gives a bunch of +stamina regen, i was breaking even in the catacombs last night

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If you have time magic it should be a non issue right? Catacrypts only costs 3/s and resting gives you back 1.something, I assumed everyone would have a solid bit of passive stamina regen by that point. I have 2.76 innately.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cinara posted:

If you have time magic it should be a non issue right? Catacrypts only costs 3/s and resting gives you back 1.something, I assumed everyone would have a solid bit of passive stamina regen by that point. I have 2.76 innately.

getting lots of stamina regen from stacking the endurance upgrade is a bug.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm trying to make an spooky skeleton man, does anyone know what the requirements are to unlock the bone mongerer or dreadlord? I witched for t1, and I'm pushing all the dead body stuff, summoning, and shadowlore as high as I can get 'em with furniture but so far no dice.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
What's Arcanum? Googling it only brings up the old RPG Arcanum.

As for NGU, I like it a lot. It reminds me of Idling to Rule the Gods in terms of interface, but it's so much more than that, thankfully. I'm a big fan of paradigm shifts and there always seems to be something new to work towards.

By the way, is there a way to send a dollar or two without buying anything specific? I don't want to get AP boosts or anything like that because I don't play idle games to skip ahead by any means. Cosmetics, on the other hand, are most welcome.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Blattdorf posted:

Arcanum. Very, very early and rapidly updates so expect bugs, breaking, weirdness, etc.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Blattdorf posted:

As for NGU, I like it a lot. It reminds me of Idling to Rule the Gods in terms of interface, but it's so much more than that, thankfully. I'm a big fan of paradigm shifts and there always seems to be something new to work towards.

By the way, is there a way to send a dollar or two without buying anything specific? I don't want to get AP boosts or anything like that because I don't play idle games to skip ahead by any means. Cosmetics, on the other hand, are most welcome.

It's the new, cool thing: http://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

Pros: fun, tons of stuff, can max it out in a day or two, dev guy pushes like a million updates/day, can eat children.

Cons: poorly documented, buggy as heck, more active than idle, some gameplay stages are a slog.

Check it out and become one of us!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

You could buy the player fashion pack and promise to only use that AP on the Daycare Kitty art?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Pigbuster posted:

You could buy the player fashion pack and promise to only use that AP on the Daycare Kitty art?

And to be honest the AP stuff doesn't speed you up so much you're gonna leapfrog anything

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The game also gives a ton of AP for free, same with the doubler potions. Late game kind of assumes you are running them since you can afford to keep them running most days with free AP.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, especially since most of the stuff you want to unlock ASAP is just QOL stuff like the advanced item filter.

Also ^ that, late game you have fucktons of AP you gain passively by playing.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Late game AP purchases are also part of the intended progression when you're earning a substantial amount. Having an extra (digger/beard/etc) slot early isn't going to break the game.

The biggest "required" one currently is the evil only accessory slot. It's good!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RoboCicero posted:

this is obviously a bug because it has no "level"

...but neither do the Necrotic Dagger or the Vorpal Blade you can get from the combat area, and those enchant for bonuses to hit and bonuses to do damage, you're welcome in advance

also my guy can wear 3 rings and 3 necklaces, so try that if you haven't, it seems to be the secret cap for some reason, cock ring maybe?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Blattdorf posted:

As others said, unless you powerbuy like $100 of AP to funnel immediately into EXP/PP, the little doodads in the sellout shop don't really make you skip content.

Probably the fashion pack would be the most cosmetic-only $ purchase. if you buy the ascended newbie pack, it also comes with gold themes.

edit: also, this is arcanum: http://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

edit2: how did i miss the like, 3 previous posters also linking arcanum...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

$100 worth of XP wouldn't get you very far. It's terrible value.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

NGU question: Cooking is a placeholder stat, correct?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

KazigluBey posted:

NGU question: Cooking is a placeholder stat, correct?

It's a troll stat that exists only for wasting special boosts before you get the real stat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Arcanum: how do I get the "nymie's charm" to use the Halloween upgrade that gives you another duplicate of yourself? I have done three combat dungeons (up to the manor) and I'm not seeing another - did she get added as a manor boss since I did it or is there another way?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Arcanum: how do I get the "nymie's charm" to use the Halloween upgrade that gives you another duplicate of yourself? I have done three combat dungeons (up to the manor) and I'm not seeing another - did she get added as a manor boss since I did it or is there another way?

You edit your save because the unlock broke.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

lmao are you kidding

As long as I'm asking about stupid stuff, Hestia's noncombat dungeon is listed as having "hallow broomstick 5%" - does that mean complete 20 times or straight up 5% chance to drop this loving thing I only want because I'm a completionist?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I just realized that alkahistorian is about alchemy not alcohol.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Jester Mcgee posted:

I just realized that alkahistorian is about alchemy not alcohol.

You could probably get super hosed up on drinking pure elemental fire.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
In the process of unlocking all four tier5 classes (which was successful), I accidentally unlocked... another tier5 class. The dev outpaced the guide again, Heresiarch was definitely not in it (and it takes 17 divination cause that's what made it tick into unlocked, but I don't know the other requirements).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

dis astranagant posted:

Also, to be clear, the steps are:
"get save"
open the file in notepad:
use the find tool to locate "baroness"

Change
pre:
"hal_baroness":{"value":1}
to
pre:
"hal_baroness":{"value":0}
save
Drag file onto the "drop save" box

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Odd it's not open source and he minifies the code but then makes the save so easily editable.

edit: as opposed to needing to use a base64 converter or something.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, that was trivial, so I did it. Owns to be double-resting while I Catacrypts - even if the halloween apple bob action is completely broken (1 gold = 1 apple = 0-10 stamina = 0-50 Advise Notables = 0-110 gold) so I have infinite stamina from apples, the shadow mana's nice to spam Dark Bolt.

Also, we got there:

...only to be followed by picking Dhrunic Wizard anyway because it's a fuckin +3 to max mana as opposed to 0

(I don't have the Drain Life spell, which I did have on my first save. And it's really good. What am I missing to unlock that?)