Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Does anyone know if Reeder 4 has automatic full article text like Newsify does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
This is something that probably has a simple solution and has been asked before but I can't figure it out myself.
Let's say, for the sake of example, you're in bed reading an article that includes a video.
You want to watch the video, but you don't want to wake up your wife next to you.
Now, your phone is on silent, and you turned the volume all down, but it doesn't matter, soon as you open youtube, or whatever app,
it has it's own volume and will start playing sound instantly, giving you no time to push the volume buttons or sound off icon in the app.
An then you panic and close the phone, but it keeps playing and your wife wakesupandyoutrytoopenBUTOHNOyourfingerprintsdon'twork hurling it out the window, killing a passerby true story.

Basically, I want the digital equivalent of plugging a cut-off mini-jack in the socket.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Try disabling the "Change (ringer volume) with Buttons" toggle in Settings > Sound & Haptics. I did this a long time ago because I never felt confident I was actually adjusting the volume of media playback instead of just the ringer/system sounds.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Always have the volume at 1 or 2?

How is this even a problem for you?

E: the above poster is what I also do with volume off or low enough to hear in a quiet room alone (the only acceptable place to watch videos without headphones)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

enojy posted:

Try disabling the "Change (ringer volume) with Buttons" toggle in Settings > Sound & Haptics. I did this a long time ago because I never felt confident I was actually adjusting the volume of media playback instead of just the ringer/system sounds.

Ah, that's it. If it's turned on you have to adjust the volume for each app separately.

Laserface posted:

(the only acceptable place to watch videos without headphones)

You're right, I forgot to specify that I sometimes watch videos without sound (skateboarding/drawing/hamsters).

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mrfart posted:

This is something that probably has a simple solution and has been asked before but I can't figure it out myself.
Let's say, for the sake of example, you're in bed reading an article that includes a video.
You want to watch the video, but you don't want to wake up your wife next to you.
Now, your phone is on silent, and you turned the volume all down, but it doesn't matter, soon as you open youtube, or whatever app,
it has it's own volume and will start playing sound instantly, giving you no time to push the volume buttons or sound off icon in the app.
An then you panic and close the phone, but it keeps playing and your wife wakesupandyoutrytoopenBUTOHNOyourfingerprintsdon'twork hurling it out the window, killing a passerby true story.

Basically, I want the digital equivalent of plugging a cut-off mini-jack in the socket.

use control center to lower your media volume while you're reading articles if you regularly have autoplaying videos start up.

mrfart posted:

Ah, that's it. If it's turned on you have to adjust the volume for each app separately.

are you positive? i've never noticed having app-specific media volume levels, dating back to the first iphone.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

mrfart posted:

You're right, I forgot to specify that I sometimes watch videos without sound (skateboarding/drawing/hamsters).

I appreciate your post and your plight. Also worth mentioning are those embedded Twitter links with a Play button, where you have no idea if it's just a gif or a full video with sound.

So if "Change (ringer volume) with Buttons" is toggled off, does that mean your alarm volume is tied to everything else? That could be risky if not managed properly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

use control center to lower your media volume while you're reading articles if you regularly have autoplaying videos start up.

He wasn't referring to autoplay videos.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sleepwalkers posted:

are you positive? i've never noticed having app-specific media volume levels, dating back to the first iphone.

Yeah I'm pretty sure mine doesn't behave like this. It does have a volume level by output though, which seems to be very persistent.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I have the setting turned off to change ringer volume with the buttons, and I’m confident my phone only remembers different volume for different output sources. And if I turn volume off with buttons before playing a video, it never ever makes sound. So yeah, that setting is great, and at this point it’s been so long I don’t remember how it behaves if you have it on.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 9, 2019

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Dave posted:

He wasn't referring to autoplay videos.

ah yeah, misread. suggestion still applies though, lower the media volume in control center if you're in a position where you don't want sound.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

sleepwalkers posted:

I definitely had the problem of turning the sound down in one app, then clicking a link to another app (or an embedded file) and it played at a totally different volume.
Not just auto playing.
But you're right that it's not all of them, but now I'm confused as to when and why this happened.

Isn't the volume in the control center the exact same as the volume with the side buttons?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really want to like the new Reminders but it just pisses me off so much cause it just keeps opening up the keyboard, like it’s way too sensitive. Scroll down the wrong way and boom you’re editing a reminder now. Tap the (i) button and boom you’re editing the reminder now because the (i) is tiny as loving hell.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

mrfart posted:

Isn't the volume in the control center the exact same as the volume with the side buttons?

It definitely is. I always leave my volume set to 1 or 2 and 'change ringer volume with buttons' is disabled.

doesnt matter what app I am in, fb/twitter/yt/instagram etc, the volume is always the same.

is it maybe that you are using a device with volume set to X, then switching to another output (aka device)? because as everyone else said, it remembers volume level on a device/output basis. eg. bluetooth headphones volume is the same when they connect, and when you connect to airplay it will have different volume again based on what it was last time you used that device/output.

its pretty cool that it actually remembers, and i think it even remembers volume on a per-device basis, so a UE boom volume is remembered differently to your airpods/beats BT headphones, and differently again for plug-in headphones.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mrfart posted:

I definitely had the problem of turning the sound down in one app, then clicking a link to another app (or an embedded file) and it played at a totally different volume.
Not just auto playing.
But you're right that it's not all of them, but now I'm confused as to when and why this happened.

Yeah, I suggested that as if you don’t have the control media volume with the buttons setting flipped, that’ll let you change media volume even when no media is playing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, I suggested that as if you don’t have the control media volume with the buttons setting flipped, that’ll let you change media volume even when no media is playing.
I’ve had some bugginess with stuff not following that until media is playing and volume is tweaked again (whether in control center or buttons or whatever). Like from the home screen volume can be 50%, I lower it to 0 in control center, then open something and it could still be at 50.

Anyway as far as iOS volume multiplicity, afaik there’s the ringer volume, app/media volume, and maybe (I can never remember for sure) another volume for Siri/voice (like Maps nav voice). The last one isn’t exposed anywhere like the other two, you have to change the volume when in the Siri interface or when voice/Maps is going. Or something. It might just be tied to the ringer :iiam:

Then whatever volumes linked to wired output or Bluetooth. And headset volume on calls which is also different (or maybe tied to ringer).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
ever since the last update i think 13.1.2 or whatever my alarm is now somehow insanely loud, how the hell do I change this on an XS

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just got my first bill from Verizon after having upgraded to an iPhone 11 via Apple's iPhone Payments plan. They charged me a $40 upgrade fee -- is this normal? I did this entirely through the Apple Store app, and simply chose Verizon as my carrier.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

I just got my first bill from Verizon after having upgraded to an iPhone 11 via Apple's iPhone Payments plan. They charged me a $40 upgrade fee -- is this normal? I did this entirely through the Apple Store app, and simply chose Verizon as my carrier.

It’s pretty normal for the big 4. Especially Verizon and ATT. Call them and complain and they’ll likely credit it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Yep, unfortunately very normal.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There is a new behavior in text input that is driving me nuts. So like lets say I wanted to write a few words and then paste something I've copied to the clipboard (could be a url or just some text). So after I get to the end of what I want to type I used to just put a space and then tap and hold to bring up the cut/copy/paste menu, except now by default it automatically selects the last word that was typed.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Mahoning posted:

There is a new behavior in text input that is driving me nuts. So like lets say I wanted to write a few words and then paste something I've copied to the clipboard (could be a url or just some text). So after I get to the end of what I want to type I used to just put a space and then tap and hold to bring up the cut/copy/paste menu, except now by default it automatically selects the last word that was typed.

This happens to me quite a bit. Also, there are a few pop up menus like that one and I don’t know the rhyme or reason behind the pop up you get. Sometimes it has a paste option, sometimes it doesn’t (verifies to happen even if I have something in my clipboard). Sometimes it has [img] sometimes it doesn’t. Maybe I’m not consistent with how I’m using it though?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

colachute posted:

This happens to me quite a bit. Also, there are a few pop up menus like that one and I don’t know the rhyme or reason behind the pop up you get. Sometimes it has a paste option, sometimes it doesn’t (verifies to happen even if I have something in my clipboard). Sometimes it has [img] sometimes it doesn’t. Maybe I’m not consistent with how I’m using it though?

I think you're talking about some of the options in the Awful app, which I only used for demonstration purposes. This behavior exists across all of ios 13.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Mahoning posted:

I think you're talking about some of the options in the Awful app, which I only used for demonstration purposes. This behavior exists across all of ios 13.

Whoops, read your post without reading the title of the thread :doh:

THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME ICONS!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mahoning posted:

I'm experiencing this too. XS, started happening with iOS 13 when they killed Force Touch :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I received an iPhone 8 (64 GB) for use as a work phone, but my employer didn't provide a screen protector or case or anything like that. Anyone want to go to bat for a particular brand of case or screen? I imagine I'll be able to expense anything that's not hilariously expensive.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

C-Euro posted:

I received an iPhone 8 (64 GB) for use as a work phone, but my employer didn't provide a screen protector or case or anything like that. Anyone want to go to bat for a particular brand of case or screen? I imagine I'll be able to expense anything that's not hilariously expensive.

Spigen is always my go to for cases if it's not the Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I feel like it pops up reliably for me if I just tap the screen near the cursor.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah don't hold, that's what's selecting the word. Just put a space and then tap the cursor

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fourwood posted:

I feel like it pops up reliably for me if I just tap the screen near the cursor.

I've literally hit return multiple times to add space, and it still highlights the last word/period/etc. when I want to paste a link or something else.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I've literally hit return multiple times to add space, and it still highlights the last word/period/etc. when I want to paste a link or something else.
If you’re just tapping? Not holding?

Playing around with it right now in this post I’m writing, it looks like tapping the cursor makes it pop up very reliably. Tapping away from the cursor makes the cursor jump to where you tapped, but stick to the start or end of a word you tapped near; tapping there again pops up the copy/paste menus. Tapping in white space beyond the cursor also pops up the menu.

With tapping – and not holding – I cannot get words to become selected, unless I double tap quickly.

e: in case it matters, iPhone Xs with iOS 13.1.2.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fourwood posted:

If you’re just tapping? Not holding?

I hold, which I learned from Android. It's just so easy I didn't figure hold would be something else in iOS.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I hold, which I learned from Android. It's just so easy I didn't figure hold would be something else in iOS.

I mean, up until 2 weeks ago, iOS worked this way too. Seems like an odd thing for them to have changed. The tapping works for me, so I'm glad I figured that out (thank you fourwood), but it's just annoying when they change something like that for seemingly no reason.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

13.2 beta adds changing the video res/fps to the camera screen.

although potentially only for 11/11 pro.

if that last bit is correct I will be fuckin MAD.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

C-Euro posted:

I've been extremely satisfied with my Pelican case.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Laserface posted:

if that last bit is correct I will be fuckin MAD.

Get mad, it's true

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey yo wtf iOS 13 got rid of the ability to upload to YouTube??

It’s not on the share sheet anymore?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Hey yo wtf iOS 13 got rid of the ability to upload to YouTube??

It’s not on the share sheet anymore?

Since iOS 12 ... we were definitely trying to figure it out in this thread. Don't recall that a solution was found.

edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664222&pagenumber=1045&perpage=40#post488145189

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Still there for me.

fuckin owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pivo posted:

Get mad, it's true

this is so fuckin stupid. incredibly, arrogantly stupid.