Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

exquisite tea posted:

The "just another day at the bureau" attitude all the supporting characters have even as their workplace is being invaded by extradimensional horrors is one of the best things Control has going for it.

*looks at your gun that you just picked up off a corpse*

“Oh! You must be the new Director. We weren’t expecting you today. Sorry things are a little weird right now. Most of our staff have been taken over by some sort of malevolent entity from another dimension. Let me know if you have any questions!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

The members of the Bureau themselves are all fairly fanatical, both intensely enthusiastic and curious about weird poo poo and also largely unbothered by the insanely high death toll within their ranks that their work causes

unspoiling this because it pretty well summarizes one of the best minor character beats in the game, when the PC tells a researcher that they're able to fast-travel through the complex.

the researcher's response amounts to, "What!? That's unthinkable! None of our models accounted for this! You've completely undone years of work! I love it. Tell me more."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved how Mario Odyssey ended now that I've beaten it, with Peach ditching both Mario and Bowser and nearly stranding them on the moon together due to both of them acting like idiots. Also I like her attitude in general: "Well, I saw some cool places while kidnapped, Imma go explore them now that I'm free to do so." I just kind of wish they'd do something with her like with Toadette in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. That was much more interesting.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

unspoiling this because it pretty well summarizes one of the best minor character beats in the game, when the PC tells a researcher that they're able to fast-travel through the complex.

the researcher's response amounts to, "What!? That's unthinkable! None of our models accounted for this! You've completely undone years of work! I love it. Tell me more."

I've only played a couple hours of Control but Emily is awesome and I extremely hope she doesn't end up turning on the player

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Phy posted:

I've only played a couple hours of Control but Emily is awesome and I extremely hope she doesn't end up turning on the player

I absolutely love her intro where she's somehow grinning with her molars while breathlessly giving you an explanation of the House that doesn't make a blind bit of sense.

Control overlabours a lot of its backstory - like, we see grainy soundless video footage of some terrible horror happening, and then a few hours later we find an audiotape of that exact scene; we have a million interviews covering every last detail, often twice or more.

Which is a shame, because its terser moments are absolute gems of deadpan absurdism. Minor background spoilers:

"What's the Clocks?" "The Clocks is a threshold. Last Director had it sealed up, because of all the Clocks"

" Should you work-station change unexpecedtly, or if you find yourself in an unfamiliar room, try singing a gentle, soothing song. This will help keep you calm, as well as the room"

The Bureau has absolutely no idea what is going on, and it owns.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Chalk me up as another person who bought Control because of this thread. I played like 45 minutes before work this morning and I"m looking into digging in more when I get home.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i also got control because of the thread, and even though i've literally only watched the opening cinematic and walked down the first hallway, i'm on board with this southern reach comparison because this beardy guy (thatch?) is exactly how i pictured the character control in authority except aged up by 30 years :stare: not really a universal experience, i'm guessing, but freaky for at least one seven-billionth of the planet i guess

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been down on some aspects of Control these past couple days but there's so much about it I love. It's oozing with style, for some reason one of my favorite little things is the giant text and little echoing "boom" noise whenever you enter a new major area

I don't even know why it works so well, but it's so good.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some of my fonder memories of university are of poking around in subbasements or the upper levels of the older buildings, well after everyone else had gone home for the night, and low key revelling in the spooky feeling of being alone in an impersonal place. Control sort of scratches that same itch so far, and it's almost a shame about all the combat and the respawning Hiss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phy posted:

Some of my fonder memories of university are of poking around in subbasements or the upper levels of the older buildings, well after everyone else had gone home for the night, and low key revelling in the spooky feeling of being alone in an impersonal place. Control sort of scratches that same itch so far, and it's almost a shame about all the combat and the respawning Hiss.

The Hiss are genuinely the worst part of Control. The *literally everything else* is fantastic and I hope they have enough confidence to lean into the weird bizarre world stuff rather than shootmans for the sequel.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved how Mario Odyssey ended now that I've beaten it, with Peach ditching both Mario and Bowser and nearly stranding them on the moon together due to both of them acting like idiots. Also I like her attitude in general: "Well, I saw some cool places while kidnapped, Imma go explore them now that I'm free to do so." I just kind of wish they'd do something with her like with Toadette in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. That was much more interesting.

Super Princess Peach exists.

So maybe it's best they don't do that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What about, and hear me out on this, Nintendo: Super Princess Peach...but good

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

You ramble the dreams of a mad man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been wanting a Princess game of Daisy and Peach- and possibly Rosalina- for years now but that's about as likely to happen as a new Starfox game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't have a ton of faith that Nintendo can do female protagonists well, considering what happened to Samus.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll sign off on a Peach/Daisy/Rosalina game, Nintendo has it in em if they just try hard enough.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll sign off on a Peach/Daisy/Rosalina game, Nintendo has it in em if they just try hard enough.

I mean...do they? Their only notable female protagonist is Samus which was better when she didn't have a personality, or at least only a subtlely implied one.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I wouldn’t want them to do a Princess Peach game unless they had a really good idea for it. We certainly don’t want another Super Princess Peach on our hands. Until then I’d be happy if they made her playable in more main series Mario games. For content, I really love how in Super Mario 3D World we got to see Peach interact with the world in the same way that the Mario brothers do. The fact that you can see her get hit and turn into Small Peach, pick up a fire flower and get an awesome red-and-white dress, and so on really made her feel like an actual part of the world.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Nintendo's only problem with female protagonists is that the one time they tried to do a big character piece about their one major leading lady, they gave it to the one guy who should never be trusted with it.

...also Super Princess Peach, though... I have no idea what to blame for that one. I think Zelda deserves a turn before Peach gets another one, though, and I think they'll struggle to mess that one up that bad.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean...do they?

Serious post: yeah, they do. They can still design top notch platformers when they really try, and the princesses have enough character beats to start from if Nintendo really wanted to use them. Samus was a weird situation with an idiosyncratic director given too much leeway.
Would it actually happen? Probably not in reality, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean...do they? Their only notable female protagonist is Samus which was better when she didn't have a personality, or at least only a subtlely implied one.

She had a personality in Fusion, and she was perfectly fine in that game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Samus is the rare case where the noncanon fan version of the character is both more nuanced and less sexist than the canon one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Double Punctuation posted:

Hell, the Computer AI had a better personality than the guy he was in-story based on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tunicate posted:

Samus is the rare case where the noncanon fan version of the character is both more nuanced and less sexist than the canon one.

Are you talking about the AwkwardZombie version, where Samus is jacked as hell and eats birdseed and might be trans?

Because yes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My Time At Portia continues to reveal things since I last played that I dig a lot, plus some I don't think I ever mentioned.

- The setting. Okay, not a little thing, but I struggle to think of another game that is explicitly not post-apocalypse, but post-post-apocalyptic. Sure, some would say it is thematically naive to basically be a setting where the proverbial second-time-around actually works, but man, I don't need every after-the-end property to eventually redo Canticle. The oldest people remember the darkest times, there are ruins and dangers that dot the landscape, but the general take is that the problems now are ones that define a world rebuilding itself (kinda) fine.

- When seeing inside a chest (not sure what the limit is on where they are placed where this works), you can immediately switch to other chests. Open your "Stuff That Comes From Trees" chest, click a Next button or pick from a drop-down menu, and bam, you're looking in the "Bits of technology" chest. Really nice.

- Related to the above one, the game's Sort All feature is awesome. If you're looking in, say, your Stuff That Comes From Trees chest (which has Wood and Leaves, among other things), that button will automatically place all of the Wood and Leaves into the chest. Great for when your inventory expands beyond one screen, and also great when you can't remember what you-from-the-last-time-you-played defined {item} as, for sorting purposes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Double Punctuation posted:

Eh, Fusion still had a weird feel to it and planted a lot of seeds that led directly into Other M.

But I've never liked Fusion all that much to begin with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fusion was a good game and excelled at what it aimed to do. And the bits of personality that they did give Samus in it really dont logically lead into Other M. Shes sober minded and calm and not the emotional wreck from Other M. In fact it retcons Samus not knowing the GalFed scientists are just one step removed from Space Pirate Science Team.

Sakamoto just had a huge brain fart and made her a submissive waifu, and I assume he either did not have that in mind for fusion, didnt have enough space/capability on the GBA, or had much more oversight and other experienced nintendo people who could shut him down working on it.

gently caress the authorization poo poo alone is bullshit.
God I hope Prime 4 is good

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Oct 10, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was going to suggest a Peach & Daisy rpg but Nintendo gutted the division that used to make those so

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bony tony posted:

Are you talking about the AwkwardZombie version, where Samus is jacked as hell and eats birdseed and might be trans?

Because yes.

I always read her as kind of an asocial violent loner, personally.

But yeah, Awkward Zombie's interpretation is absolutely fine.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Almost seem like even nintendo should pass off any female-protagonist leading-games to western devs they form partnerships with like Retro.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

Almost seem like even nintendo should pass off any female-protagonist leading-games to western devs they form partnerships with like Retro.

Nintendo protagonists have never had a strong voice or personality so yeah, they would basically have to.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I always read her as kind of an asocial violent loner, personally.

But yeah, Awkward Zombie's interpretation is absolutely fine.

I remember a fancomic that had her only communicating through sign language because she was raised by bird people who didnt have vocal chords. That was nice.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been down on some aspects of Control these past couple days but there's so much about it I love. It's oozing with style, for some reason one of my favorite little things is the giant text and little echoing "boom" noise whenever you enter a new major area

I don't even know why it works so well, but it's so good.

It’s a big splash of text that pops up when you’re entering a new area and are most on guard. It blocks your vision and effectively takes away control. Eh? Eh?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://kotaku.com/the-fonts-in-control-make-its-world-feel-way-creepier-1837714580

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

bony tony posted:

Because yes.

Saying that she is trans just because she is a buff woman is super lame and goes into :biotruths: territory. That seems to be the only reason people say she is trans.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

and off we go

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sakamoto just had a huge brain fart and made her a submissive waifu,

Didn't help that he called her a bounty hunter from the very first game, then flipped out when the makers of Prime 3 wanted to include... bounty hunting, as a game mechanic, because in his mind she'd never do something like kill/capture people for money.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

Didn't help that he called her a bounty hunter from the very first game, then flipped out when the makers of Prime 3 wanted to include... bounty hunting, as a game mechanic, because in his mind she'd never do something like kill/capture people for money.

IIRC, they called her a "bounty hunter" because "bounty hunter" is a pair of cool english words to say and they didn't ever look into what "bounty hunter" actually meant. Sort of like how "Blade Runner" is called that after an unrelated novel and it has nothing at all to do with shooting replicants or whatever. It just sounds cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always figured it was a mistranslation of "mercenary".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would think it's because of Star Wars.