Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hey twisto, do you know if there's anything in the pipeline for the EU fixing this dang cookie privacy situation? Or is everyone just supposed to hit Accept All for a quiet life

e- metaphor tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ij7VOnzniE

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

It will be done

I’ll ask her who her favourite Joker was

Just keep your phone on sound recording and see what you can get her to say.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jedit posted:

Boris thinks of himself as one part revolutionary politician who will lead his country to freedom, and one part Wild West outlaw. Which is why we should call him Fidel the Kid.

:captainpop:

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1182316231979933697

I didn't know we were AT WAR. Why didn't someone tell me?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

:siren:oh poo poo:siren:

Kezia Dugdale has quit the Labour party over Brexit

Apparently happened in July but nobody noticed until now

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

baka kaba posted:

hey twisto, do you know if there's anything in the pipeline for the EU fixing this dang cookie privacy situation? Or is everyone just supposed to hit Accept All for a quiet life

e- metaphor tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ij7VOnzniE

IIRC having Accept All and no Reject All isn't allowed under GDPR rules.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh joy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

I'm a bit out of that area at the moment so don't really have any great insight into it. I mean the end game is obviously supposed to be just stopping all of the cross-site tracking so it's probably just going to be a war of attrition against the US tech giants.

(Incidentally I'm surprised nobody has yet said "If we Brexit you'll be able to look at all of those American news sites again!")

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ ah drat, just thought you might have heard they were planning a retaliation or something, feels like this whole thing got loopholed to all hell

Not So Fast posted:

IIRC having Accept All and no Reject All isn't allowed under GDPR rules.

it's more about the sites where you've already set your preferences to nope, and every time you visit them they popup a HEY WHAT ABOUT THEM COOKIES thing until you accept their desired settings and then they mysteriously stop mentioning it

it's like the whole thing is set up to be as passive aggressive as possible. I've seen opt-out progress bars on these things, that stall at 97% - they're extremely cheeky about it

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

ro5s posted:

Fiddle the Kid, surely?

:thejoke:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you dig into that Chris Williamson thread it turns out the Labour party suspended him again a week ago and that one still stands. Also he used a whole load of membership fees to pay for his legal costs which seems... iffy.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

marktheando posted:

Honestly, I think I did read this at the time, but until your post I'd not only forgotten it happened but I'd completely forgotten who kezia dugdale is. That also happened when she was leader, to be fair

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

marktheando posted:

Oh no, however will Scottish labour recover from such a wound

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Biggus Dickus posted:

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1182316231979933697

I didn't know we were AT WAR. Why didn't someone tell me?

i mean i don't get why you're mad at the guy who won a case proving he was unfairly and illegally resuspended

then again i don't get why this thread keeps pretending like there's actual evidence of wrongdoing on his part in general as if it's an accepted fact

i donated to his appeal and would a thousand times over if this keeps going on so i'm pretty chuffed about it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

If you dig into that Chris Williamson thread it turns out the Labour party suspended him again a week ago and that one still stands. Also he used a whole load of membership fees to pay for his legal costs which seems... iffy.

Sounds like he means he's annoyed that the Party have paid legal fees to keep him suspended (which will have come from membership) since his own stuff is crowdfunded?

He's a loving idiot but also probably shouldn't have been suspended for being an idiot. The whole thing is a big loving mess though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Much like jess phillips I am not sure the labour party needs chris williamson as much as chris williamson thinks they do.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

he was suspended for making the exact same point half the posters in the thread who poo poo on him have made themselves over and over it's loving insane

brian
Sep 11, 2001

edit: woops double

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

brian posted:

he was suspended for making the exact same point half the posters in the thread who poo poo on him have made themselves over and over it's loving insane

And if I was an MP for the labour party I probably wouldn't say a lot of the things I say ITT.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Cheap lidl pringles are better than actual pringles.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Niric posted:

Honestly, I think I did read this at the time, but until your post I'd not only forgotten it happened but I'd completely forgotten who kezia dugdale is. That also happened when she was leader, to be fair

Well BBC are reporting it, and that she didn't vote Labour in the Euro elections, as new news anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50002775

Is Kezia more or less memorable than whatshisname, the current SLab leader?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leonard Cohen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/kimwillsher1/status/1182347975063986176

lol shocking

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OwlFancier posted:

And if I was an MP for the labour party I probably wouldn't say a lot of the things I say ITT.

i don't know anything about this situation, but isn't this essentially saying hes bad because he doesnt hide his views like you would?

brian
Sep 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

you've literally, over and over, made arguments against caring about optics and decorum, please for the love of god just post less

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1182339933199052802

Looking forward to the formation of TITs - The Independent Tories.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of the blue-blooded boobies.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The Independent Tory Crowd?

Bonus: baked in transphobia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

i don't know anything about this situation, but isn't this essentially saying hes bad because he doesnt hide his views like you would?

When you communicate with someone you have to consider who you're speaking to. When you're someone who will be heard by a large number of people, like an MP, that means you are limited in the ideas you can express and also how you can express them, because you are speaking, always, to a wide audience. This is the nature of celebrity. You must, if you're going to be one, surrender your ability to open your gob and just say whatever comes out of it.

You don't have to hide your views but if your views are complicated then you do have to accept that explaining them as a public figure is going to be extremely difficult, and especially if you're a public figure because you're representing people politically, it is entirely reasonable that you should lose that position if you're not good at that.

Your personal right as an MP to gob off is superceded by everyone else's right to not have a poo poo MP.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

One inescapable truth of forums posting is that someone will always come along to joke the joke

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Very excited for CHUKTIG 2: Conservative Boogaloo

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

Giving judgment on Thursday, October 10, Mr Justice Pepperall ruled that "the Labour Party acted unfairly in that there was no proper reason for reopening the case against Mr Williamson".

However, the judge found that there was "nothing in the new allegations, the timing of the letter of 3 September or the decision to suspend that entitles me to take the view upon the papers that the Labour Party is acting either unfairly or other than in good faith.

"I therefore refuse relief in respect of Mr Williamson's recent re-suspension. The new disciplinary case must run its course."

In his ruling, Mr Justice Pepperall added: "It is important to stress at the outset of this judgment that this case is not about whether Mr Williamson is, or is not, anti-semitic or even whether he has, or has not, breached the rules of the Labour Party.

"The issue is whether the party has acted lawfully in its investigation and prosecution of such charges against Mr Williamson."

In relation to Mr Williamson's original suspension, Mr Justice Pepperall ruled: "Having communicated the panel's decision as final, the Labour Party acted unfairly in that there was no proper reason for reopening the case against Mr Williamson and referring the original allegations to the National Constitutional Committee."

But the judge added: "While the Labour Party is no longer able lawfully to pursue the original disciplinary case against Mr Williamson, that does not afford him immunity from any subsequent disciplinary action."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/derby-north-mp-chris-williamson-3415249

he is perhaps misrepresenting the ruling on twitter

brian
Sep 11, 2001

fyi chris said what he said at a momentum branch members event and it was covertly recorded, not at a press conference

this entire defence of blatant injustice remains fundamentally awful and lame and it's very apparent in every post saying he was at fault that the authors of said posts did not read anything about what actually happened from people in the room

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rarity posted:

Very excited for CHUKTIG 2: Conservative Boogaloo

I can't wait for Umunna to join them and fail to become leader yet again.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

brian posted:

i mean i don't get why you're mad at the guy who won a case proving he was unfairly and illegally resuspended

then again i don't get why this thread keeps pretending like there's actual evidence of wrongdoing on his part in general as if it's an accepted fact

i donated to his appeal and would a thousand times over if this keeps going on so i'm pretty chuffed about it

gently caress him. He can afford his own legal fees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"It wasn't a press conference it was just a public speaking event" is a pretty weak justification. He's an MP speaking in public, he can and should assume that everything he says will be scrutinized in the worst possible light.

And again, the outcome he's looking for is that chris williamson continues to be an MP. I do not think that chris williamson is so uniquely significant that he can't be replaced by someone less bent on self promotion and better at knowing when to open his mouth.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 10, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What did he say that started all this in the first place?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PittTheElder posted:

What did he say that started all this in the first place?

Claimed there is no antisemitism in the Labour party (there is some, it's just not as much as general society or the Tory party in particular)

brian
Sep 11, 2001

how exactly do you imagine a minority but correct opinion on party strategy propagating to the leadership without the involvement of mps, genuinely curious here

what if you say it in private and the leadership doesn't want to admit it was wrong, are you now meant to just give up

like i genuinely don't understand how you think any form of party democracy is meant to function or why it's ok to completely mischaracterise what someone said and then use that as a justification for suspending them

i'm gonna stick on the side of noam chomsky and norman finkelstein in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

James Dyson is a oval office