Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
e: the original thing I posted was a terrible way to start a new page

I just rewatched They Live and even though almost nothing in that movie was subtle I did appreciate the kind of slow, plodding pace at the beginning and the totally strange behavior of the main character. It kind of lets you paper over how ridiculous Rowdy Roddy Piper's decision making is.

Yeah, he finds a pair of weird sunglasses and starts massacring people that same day while spewing insane one-liners. But when the cops were tearing up his encampment he was just wandering around in strange confusion and his responses to people in conversation barely make sense. He's, like, not really present.

It's a very strange character and I don't know how much of it is intentional and how much of it is because Roddy Piper is a bad actor. I feel like we're never gonna see characters like these weirdo protagonists from 80s Carpenter movies like They Live and Big Trouble in Little China in movies again.

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I thought that it was pretty neat and subtle that in Kill Bill 2 The bride Kills Bill :ssh: it's the name of the movie even that's some crazy foreshadowing when you really think deep about it

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I enjoy how in Kill Bill vol 1 Uma kills like 90 something people, and then in Vol 2 she just kills one, Bill

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

beanieson posted:

I enjoy how in Kill Bill vol 1 Uma kills like 90 something people, and then in Vol 2 she just kills one, Bill

Yeah, weird that Elle has a higher body count in Vol 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

beanieson posted:

I really liked that too. Its two halves of the same movie but they each feel so different. Makes watching them both as a double feature have some interesting pacing, too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really liked that too. Its two halves of the same movie but they each feel so different. Makes watching them both as a double feature have some interesting pacing, too.

It really makes me wonder what it woulda been like if Tarantino got his full 4 part epic.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

e: the original thing I posted was a terrible way to start a new page

I just rewatched They Live and even though almost nothing in that movie was subtle I did appreciate the kind of slow, plodding pace at the beginning and the totally strange behavior of the main character. It kind of lets you paper over how ridiculous Rowdy Roddy Piper's decision making is.

Yeah, he finds a pair of weird sunglasses and starts massacring people that same day while spewing insane one-liners. But when the cops were tearing up his encampment he was just wandering around in strange confusion and his responses to people in conversation barely make sense. He's, like, not really present.

It's a very strange character and I don't know how much of it is intentional and how much of it is because Roddy Piper is a bad actor. I feel like we're never gonna see characters like these weirdo protagonists from 80s Carpenter movies like They Live and Big Trouble in Little China in movies again.

Once humanity starts colonizing outer space and we find space cocaine it'll all come back again I'm sure, because cocaine is the answer to all questions regarding the 80s.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

beanieson posted:

For some reason I always place the Crazy 88 fight in the second movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Between Quentin’s love of the n word and choosing 88 of all numbers I wonder

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

oldpainless posted:

"They called themselves 'Crazy 88' but in reality there were only 14 of them".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Guess they thought it sounded cool

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I mean he did make a movie specifically about killing Hitler in the most brutal violent over the top fashion possible...

but nah your right. Hes a nazi.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Debunk This! posted:

I mean he did make a movie specifically about killing Hitler in the most brutal violent over the top fashion possible...

but nah your right. Hes a nazi.

My friend have you heard of a little thing called misdirection?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I thought True Romance was part of the Natural Born Killers universe?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

synthetik posted:

I thought True Romance was part of the Natural Born Killers universe?

natural born killers started out as a screenplay that christian slaters character in true romance was writing

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Sorry to interrupt the Tarantino chat but I just watched Midsommar and since had it pointed out that the tapestry that opens the entire film foreshadows all the events that happen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bogmonster posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Tarantino chat but I just watched Midsommar and since had it pointed out that the tapestry that opens the entire film foreshadows all the events that happen.

My favorite little thing was how during the pot pie scene, the juice in Christian's glass is a little more red than others.

I kinda hate how the tapestry forecasts the events so plainly. I think it would have been better if they were depicted in the inside of the cabin only. Instead we get lingering shots that say YO THERE IS SOME BLOOD MAGIC AND A BURNING BEAR.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I was reading about invisibility and an invisible person wouldn’t be able to see because sight is dependent on light reflecting off the retina. Therefore, in Deadpool 2 Brad Pitt’s Vanisher character wouldn’t be able to read.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was reading about invisibility and an invisible person wouldn’t be able to see because sight is dependent on light reflecting off the retina. Therefore, in Deadpool 2 Brad Pitt’s Vanisher character wouldn’t be able to read.

That’s some god drat commitment to the role

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

oldpainless posted:

Someone want to remind me what 88 means? I don't feel like looking up white supremacist codes right now.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cat Hatter posted:

Someone want to remind me what 88 means? I don't feel like looking up white supremacist codes right now.

8th letter of the alphabet is H, HH is heil hitler.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For some reason neo nazis are super into hiding those numbers in things like making people see them is some kind of gotcha.

30-50 Feral Hogs in 3-5 minutes = 80 and 8. A ha! You read my secret Hitler number, you're a nazi now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Aphrodite posted:

30-50 Feral Hogs in 3-5 minutes = 80 and 8. A ha! You read my secret Hitler number, you're a nazi now.

gently caress!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Excuse me that clearly works out to -20 and -2

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

Excuse me that clearly works out to -20 and -2

Now you're a Double Nazi.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Aphrodite posted:

Now you're a Double Nazi.

God drat it, twice in one day! TGIF I suppose!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Croatoan posted:

God drat it, twice in one day! TGIF I suppose!

Thank Goodness I'm Frei?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cat Hatter posted:

Neo-nazis use it as a heil hitler, like someone mentioned. In the movie, though, the 88 is because 8 is a lucky number in japan, so two eights=twice as lucky.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because of course the Japanese love the Nazis.

it's all connected. Nazis all the way down.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

I did Nazi this coming. Do I at least get a snazzy uniform?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Neo-nazis use it as a heil hitler, like someone mentioned. In the movie, though, the 88 is because 8 is a lucky number in japan, so two eights=twice as lucky.

That's China, my dude.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Inzombiac posted:

That's China, my dude.

Maybe it's a meta thing about how Hollywood considers Asia to just be one big culture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DandyLion posted:

Thank Goodness I'm Frei?

Now I'm wondering if the Nazis had won World War 2, would there be a restaurant chain called Arbeit Macht Freitag?

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

I've heard that 88 is Japanese shorthand for a large or countless amount.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

That's China, my dude.

It’s considered lucky in both languages, but for different reasons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Turn it sideways it looks like two pairs of boobs on one another

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

Turn it sideways it looks like two pairs of boobs on one another

Turn them sideways and put them next to each other and they look like four toes!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You all are are reminding me of the only number that never hurt anyone and has brought only joy to the world, eighty thousand eighty five.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You all are are reminding the only number that never hurt anyone and has brought only joy to the world, eighty thousand eighty five.

You mean Hitler Oo Hitlers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You all are are reminding me of the only number that never hurt anyone and has brought only joy to the world, eighty thousand eighty five.

Or five million, three hundred eighteen thousand and eight.