Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Has there been any word from Kelly Tran's camp on this? I know she pretty much leveled her entire online presence due to all the harassment, and that it truly hosed up her own self-worth for some time. If it were me, I would at least give a tiny thought to, "Jeez, is it even worth the poo poo I might take to be on a t-shirt/movie poster?"

I think it's much more likely that Disney was just craven and lovely, but I would totally understand if KMT made that call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hey girl you up posted:

Has there been any word from Kelly Tran's camp on this? I know she pretty much leveled her entire online presence due to all the harassment, and that it truly hosed up her own self-worth for some time. If it were me, I would at least give a tiny thought to, "Jeez, is it even worth the poo poo I might take to be on a t-shirt/movie poster?"

I think it's much more likely that Disney was just craven and lovely, but I would totally understand if KMT made that call.

There is no way she made that call, she signed over her likeness rights and has zero control on the movie's merch.

Can you imagine how hosed Disney would be if like, Harrison Ford had the power to remove Han Solo from Star Wars merch???

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It really is a shame how her very good character was wasted on the worst parts of the movie. And now awful people are using that as an excuse to hate on her.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Who's up for a campaign to get Disney to make not just Rey but also Rose official Disney princesses?

It would be as if millions of chud heads exploded at once, then were silenced.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

Who's up for a campaign to get Disney to make not just Rey but also Rose official Disney princesses?

It would be as if millions of chud heads exploded at once, then were silenced.

Disney has very specific standards for what does and does not count as a Disney princess and is very stubborn about them so it would be about as successful as that campaign to demand a remake of the Last Jedi.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Princess Leia Still doesn't count as a Disney Princess, so I doubt gender swapped Luke and a mechanic will fly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't read it either, but I did read the kickstarter description so even I knew it was a loving anthology.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1182200742360309760?s=20

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

Why would you make them less cool and interesting?

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 10, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't know if this is necessarily a hill I want to die on but a colleague who works in disability rhetoric sent me this panel from the Black Label book Joker/Harley (which, like, I went and did my due diligence and discovered that it is a deeply crummy book on a lot of levels to begin with). It comes on the first page:

I haven't known any psychopaths, but I've done a lot of work on ableism and mental health and this loving sucks, for two reasons.

1) It perpetuates comics' (and pop culture in general's) very bad habit of making mental illness isometric with dangerous "craziness." It pathologizes acting bad in a way that has repercussions for real mentally ill people. I've had numerous students with BPD or who were bipolar or who had issues with addiction who, after being exposed to disabilities studies or crip lit for the first time revealed that they'd just gotten resigned to thinking of themselves as "bad." I think even applied to a disorder that has as much actual correlation with antisocial behavior as psychopathy, comparing the mentally ill to out of control monsters with, ahem, a "primal urge to kill" is dangerous. I'm thinking back to the intro arc for James Gordon Jr.-- I really believe that showing mental illness as incurable and untreatable sends a really bad message, and that showing it as something people live with and can treat and manage, and that mentally ill people can live functional and full lives, is way too rare in comics.

2) Most psychopaths don't have a "primal urge to kill." Most never kill anyone. A lot of people with psychopathy live very successful lives in big business, where a lot of their symptoms blur, for better or worse, with the traits that capital requires. And a lot just live their lives, and a lot of people spend months or years with psychopathic partners blaming themselves for what frequently manifests as emotional or physical abuse. Shifting the needle immediately to 11 and "they're all killers" is worthless hyperbole, and if it's dangerous to people with mental illness, it's also dangerous to people whose family members, friends, or loved ones live with mental ilness.

It's just bullshit misinformation that sensationalizes and wildly others the mentally ill for cheap sensationalism. Comics have been really bad about ethical representations of disability for as long as they've exists, but I don't know, this especially really bothered me.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
assholes love proving their points by clinging to the user scores of media like Chappelle, Rambo, Alita, Captain Marvel, TLJ, etc. because they're obviously never manipulated by hordes of reactionary forces to push agendas

https://twitter.com/TheQuartering/status/1182046646655471623?s=19

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's also not how tigers work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEerDhcBlKo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

is this the stjepan sejic book? thats a bummer ifigured the author of sunstone might be more sensitive to things like that

men arent lesophobic, actually, because they get horny watching two women gently caress

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BoosterDuck posted:

assholes love proving their points by clinging to the user scores of media like Chappelle, Rambo, Alita, Captain Marvel, TLJ, etc. because they're obviously never manipulated by hordes of reactionary forces to push agendas

https://twitter.com/TheQuartering/status/1182046646655471623?s=19

Also it had 1.8 million viewers for the pilot so Hambly is just Hambly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Also it had 1.8 million viewers for the pilot so Hambly is just Hambly.

The show's success or failure is not the point. The point is to paint a picture in which anything that's remotely progressive and tolerant of diversity is painted as being unfairly propped up by an SJW conspiracy that hates "real" fans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

is this the stjepan sejic book? thats a bummer ifigured the author of sunstone might be more sensitive to things like that
People can be sympathetic towards one subject, but not others. It's not really uncommon. Mental health and disability are still big blind spots for a lot of people, even particularly thoughtful ones.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

No, it's by Kami Garcia, who I guess mostly writes YA novels. I don't know anything about her but I checked out an interview she did about this book and it was pretty gross.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Archyduchess posted:

No, it's by Kami Garcia, who I guess mostly writes YA novels. I don't know anything about her but I checked out an interview she did about this book and it was pretty gross.

Yeah the Sejic book is Harleen, not Joker/Harley. Harleen seems to be going with the "Joker is not crazy, at least in any way that modern medical science can diagnose" route.

Yes there's two Black Label books about the same basic premise coming out at the same time

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah the Sejic book is Harleen, not Joker/Harley. Harleen seems to be going with the "Joker is not crazy, at least in any way that modern medical science can diagnose" route.

Yes there's two Black Label books about the same basic premise coming out at the same time

There was also the recent Mariko Tamaki YA graphic novel, which I actually really liked. I guess I understand that there's a Joker movie out and a Harley Quinn movie coming out soon, but it's just like-- who keeps asking for these?

My colleague and friend who died a few months ago, who I've posted about, was on top of being a hugely knowledgeable comics nerd a dynamo in disabilities studies who always agitated for understanding mental illness under the rubric of disability scholarship and activism as well. I'm tired of seeing mental illness simultaneously fetishized and set up as this ghoulish step away from being human, which has been a pervasive issue with Joker comics, and especially the tbh not-that-compelling Harley Quinn origin story, for decades.

Like if you're doing the "grim and gritty, torn from real life" stylistic approach, as Garcia seems to be doing, shouldn't you feel some basic ethical/professional obligation to have your facts straight?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

site posted:

men arent lesophobic, actually, because they get horny watching two women gently caress

It’s not even really that true anymore. Nowadays whenever I see a lesbian show up in anything there are scores of dudes just whining about it. Maybe they still fetishize it when the lights are off but they definitely don’t do it out in the open like they once did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

It’s not even really that true anymore. Nowadays whenever I see a lesbian show up in anything there are scores of dudes just whining about it. Maybe they still fetishize it when the lights are off but they definitely don’t do it out in the open like they once did.

I suspect a number of them are like Dark Titsanime and fetishize the idea of them being "hosed straight" or something that absurdly offensive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I suspect a number of them are like Dark Titsanime and fetishize the idea of them being "hosed straight" or something that absurdly offensive.

IF SHE'D JUST GIVE ME A CHANCE I COULD SHOW HER WHAT A GREAT GUY I AM AND THAT MEN ARE NOT BAD

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Being a lesbian rules, I'd be jealous too.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1182377081986002945

Hoooo boy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd love to see them send an actual C&D. Please let them do this.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Archyduchess posted:

2) Most psychopaths don't have a "primal urge to kill." Most never kill anyone. A lot of people with psychopathy live very successful lives in big business, where a lot of their symptoms blur, for better or worse, with the traits that capital requires.

You're sending some mixed messages here.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Also from a quick TESS search, no one has registered for the trademark so

I've trademarked Comicsgate and have a licensing fee of punching yourself in the genitals every time you tweet it in a positive manner. I take no joy in saying this, but there are laws.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
One one hand, I have no reason to believe that the various trademark databases are kept up to date on a timely basis.

On the other hand, the US recognizes common law trademark rights.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ren goes on to say how it's amusing she's made the acquaintance of several copyright lawyers thanks to a certain bungled lawsuit.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

lifg posted:

One one hand, I have no reason to believe that the various trademark databases are kept up to date on a timely basis.
At least within the United States, the office that enforces trademarks ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Patent_and_Trademark_Office]Looking into it, there's a relatively lengthy process from when you apply for a trademark to when it's published for opposition (which is where it would show up in the Patent and Trademark Office's database, which by definition is 'up to date' in the United States, since they're the ones who register trademarks but I can't tell if you were kidding here or what.

It also costs between $200-$400 just to apply for a trademark, with no guarantee that it would make it through the vetting process, for which there is zero reason to believe this application would.

Common law trademark rights would recognize that Renfamous has been using the name Renfamous and has apparently published a comic using the name Renfamous and that an unrelated pseudonymous party whose entire social media timeline is busy calling her a "jizz rat" and a bitch and a whore is not in a position to try to 'trademark' the name and the entire thing is pretty obviously Comicsgate's idea of a 'prank' so I don't know why I'm even typing this much about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1182414083921985536?s=19

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I'm not kidding, I've done enough work in data integration that I'm cynical about any government department being able to simply use its own data.

But you're probably right. The federal PTO is the most sane trademark office in America. (The state level offices are all over the map.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

You're sending some mixed messages here.

Well you know what I mean. They aren't slasher movie caricatures.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

Well you know what I mean. They aren't slasher movie caricatures.

Yeah they're way worse cause they're CEOs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's funny about this recent spit up from TUG is he's in violation of actual copyright with his comic plastering the RE Umbrella logo everywhere.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Given TUG's intellectual track record, I'm sort of morbidly curious what he actually did, if he thinks he copyrighted Renfamous's handle. Did he just walk into the trademark office somewhere, shout his intention, and leave again, content that he totally knows how laws work?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Given TUG's intellectual track record, I'm sort of morbidly curious what he actually did, if he thinks he copyrighted Renfamous's handle. Did he just walk into the trademark office somewhere, shout his intention, and leave again, content that he totally knows how laws work?

Perhaps he mailed the word 'Renfamous' to himself via registered letter.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don't think I'm an especially noteworthy or vocal poster here but I also think I'm pretty consistent in my views and my principles so if you honestly think I'm writing apologia for CEOs and executives and bankers and what not I feel like I've misrepresented myself pretty egregiously. If I'm reading too much into this comic's representation of mental difference that's fine but "some psychopaths are fine, upstanding capitalists" is not what I was shooting for and if careless phrasing made it technically possible to parse it that way I still don't think that was at all the substance of what I was talking about.

Regardless, I've been running myself pretty ragged the past few weeks and I know I have a tendency to get over-emotional and rhetorically sloppy when I'm talking about mental illness in pop culture, so I'll just bow out and apologize for bringing it up, it was kind of a silly hill to die on anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not especially noteworthy?

Lol, you're one of the smartest and probably well respected people here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Not especially noteworthy?

Lol, you're one of the smartest and probably well respected people here.

Yeah my bit there was just a jokey joke about CEOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Archyduchess posted:

I don't think I'm an especially noteworthy or vocal poster here but I also think I'm pretty consistent in my views and my principles so if you honestly think I'm writing apologia for CEOs and executives and bankers and what not I feel like I've misrepresented myself pretty egregiously. If I'm reading too much into this comic's representation of mental difference that's fine but "some psychopaths are fine, upstanding capitalists" is not what I was shooting for and if careless phrasing made it technically possible to parse it that way I still don't think that was at all the substance of what I was talking about.

Regardless, I've been running myself pretty ragged the past few weeks and I know I have a tendency to get over-emotional and rhetorically sloppy when I'm talking about mental illness in pop culture, so I'll just bow out and apologize for bringing it up, it was kind of a silly hill to die on anyway.

I definitely did not read it as you defending CEOs or other highfalutin capitalists but just meant it as a joke about the cultural cliche of 'respectable man in suit and tie doing business' being held in higher regard than 'mentally ill person just trying to get by'