Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I'd argue that the "if you accept the pardon then you're admitting guilt" is such common knowledge in the right circles that it's effectively true, even if there aren't really any legal frameworks that recognize it as such.

It's meaningless though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tokyo reject posted:

Isn't Bolton still loved by Senate GOP types? Here's to hoping he gets a ghostwriter and cranks that thing out in the next few months. I feel like Mattis and Bolton coming out publicly on Trump's gross level of incompetence would really help with getting these cracks in Trump's Senate GOP support moving

The issue isn’t getting senate gop types to want to turn on trump it’s giving them the courage to do so or convincing them they won’t lose their next primary. They hate him, but they’re basically his reek.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1182330235141984256

Chapter 1: A list of countries I'm annoyed he didn't want to bomb

It must be a real short chapter

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

lurker2006 posted:

So the bourgeoisie are cool now?

No one said that. theflyingorc is talking about the haute bourgeoisie rather than the petite bourgeoisie.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 10, 2019

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Blorange posted:

This is almost certainly targeting one or two specific officers who have expressed dissatisfaction with how the department operates.

Sheriff Offices, at least in NC are their own special kind of beast. While nominally part of the County government at least for things such as benefits, budget etc. the Sheriff is an elected official and everyone in the sheriff's department 'serves at the pleasure of the sheriff' i.e. you're not really a county employee, you're the sheriff's employee and he can hire and fire whoever he wants for whatever reason he wants. (Unless of course doing so violates one's civil rights, which this certainly does) What I'm saying is there are way easier ways for a sheriff to purge his office of people he doesn't want, it happens routinely whenever a new sheriff gets elected, especially in the smaller counties.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Genuine question because not Christian. Is there any place in American Christianity for social justice type Christian politics ala the type who built near every charity and homeless shelter in the company 120 years ago (even if it was a means to an end to evangelize)? Are these people already absorbed into the Democratic party? Lost causes because of abortion or gay rights?

There are plenty of social justice / progressive / liberal Christians in America, they're just not very loud.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

There are plenty of social justice / progressive / liberal Christians in America, they're just not very loud.

Some of us are, we just tend to be blacklisted from the media.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Jesuits Nun Orders tend to be pretty rad and are the closest you can get to following what Jesus actually taught in terms of Catholicism.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Genuine question because not Christian. Is there any place in American Christianity for social justice type Christian politics ala the type who built near every charity and homeless shelter in the company 120 years ago (even if it was a means to an end to evangelize)? Are these people already absorbed into the Democratic party? Lost causes because of abortion or gay rights?

I mention her from time to time, but let me talk about my old pastor again. Pastor Marsha joined our (northern baptist) congregation, and the majority senior citizen congregants were a little unsure about having one of those new fangled "lady" pastors, but we needed someone and the other applicants were just... just awful. She signed up to be an interim pastor, which means pastor but we don't mean it really. So she rolled up on her motorcycle, spent five years leading us in prayers that the civilians of Iraq would be safe and that the Eagles would win the football game that afternoon, and then left to go to Myanmar on a humanitarian mission to help at a refugee camp.

What she didn't do, was run a daytime cable program to bilk millions out of credulous old people, lonely and looking for meanings, and then use this money to promote her political ideals and demean a minority group. So, you haven't heard of her. But there are some genuinely good Christians out there.

Our current pastor doesn't hold Christmas services because he wants to spend the holiday with his family, he's less good.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Many/most mainline Protestant churches are very social justice oriented, but as previous posters have said, aren’t loud about it. This actually includes denominations who get tarred with a bad brush, such as Baptists who aren’t affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. Two notable examples are The Baptist Church of the Covenant in Birmingham AL and Calvary Baptist Church in DC, both of which are major advocates for LGBT issues in their respective cities.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yes.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1159859387923599360

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

blah beaten

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 10, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1182355623775744000

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 10, 2019

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mystic Mongol posted:

No ethical consumption under capitalism!

There's that, and there's also having all the music made by an Axis apologist.

Luckily, their contribution to the game is in the area that's most easily removed (music). So buy the game used and turn the music down.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This screams Barr/Giuliani tip off, doesnt it?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

So what non-extradition country were these two chucklefucks fleeing to?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Majorian posted:

Some of us are, we just tend to be blacklisted from the media.

Fair enough. I think part of it is also that the Democratic Party doesn't "own" liberal Christianity the way the GOP does evangelical / conservative / fundamentalist Christianity.

When right and left-wing Christians interact, the right-wingers tend to get nasty and shout down the left because the left tries to be tolerant, polite, and loving.

An example: my parents are very devout Methodists and staunch Democrats. The Methodist Church is having a major internal struggle over gay marriage. Their congregation had one of the members (longtime friend of my parents) deliver a guest sermon and he ranted about how gay people were evil and possessed by demons. Afterward my dad politely said "hey I appreciate you doing the sermon but fyi I don't agree with your interpretation of Scripture" and the other guy told him flatly "well if you believe that you worship Satan." They don't talk anymore.

I mean it's basically the same as :decorum: politics but (arguably) one of the core tenets of Christianity is being nice to your enemies, sooo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Furnaceface posted:

This screams Barr/Giuliani tip off, doesnt it?

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1182355758379393024

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Just put Rudy on TV and ask if he told these lackeys to run.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jesus Christ just arrest Giuliani already.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

rkajdi posted:

There's that, and there's also having all the music made by an Axis apologist.

Luckily, their contribution to the game is in the area that's most easily removed (music). So buy the game used and turn the music down.

Who is an Axis apologist?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

speaking of yesterday

quote:

A Justice Department official said Attorney General William P. Barr was first briefed on the case in February, shortly after he was confirmed. He received more briefings in recent weeks, and was informed Wednesday evening that the men would be charged and taken into custody, the official said.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

FizFashizzle posted:

So there's almost no way these two guys weren't tipped off right? DO we know what country they were going to?

quote:

Evilweasel

Holy gently caress, Barr is almost certainly undermining this cause, and potentially leaked info to someone to tell these guys to jump ship.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I say give him a few more weeks of admitting crimes on TV first.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

speaking of yesterday

So whoever was asking about if this was a Barr tip-off, this looks very likely to be the case.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Hey, the Q6035 was a great camera!

I'm so sorry

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Fair enough. I think part of it is also that the Democratic Party doesn't "own" liberal Christianity the way the GOP does evangelical / conservative / fundamentalist Christianity.

When right and left-wing Christians interact, the right-wingers tend to get nasty and shout down the left because the left tries to be tolerant, polite, and loving.

An example: my parents are very devout Methodists and staunch Democrats. The Methodist Church is having a major internal struggle over gay marriage. Their congregation had one of the members (longtime friend of my parents) deliver a guest sermon and he ranted about how gay people were evil and possessed by demons. Afterward my dad politely said "hey I appreciate you doing the sermon but fyi I don't agree with your interpretation of Scripture" and the other guy told him flatly "well if you believe that you worship Satan." They don't talk anymore.

I mean it's basically the same as :decorum: politics but (arguably) one of the core tenets of Christianity is being nice to your enemies, sooo

Yeah, in my experience, unfortunately, folks like that are usually too far gone to try to persuade. It's a much better use of time and energy to pester and browbeat people who at least putatively share your values to get up off their asses and take action. At some point, even Jesus stopped being nice and started flipping tables.

pokchu posted:

Many/most mainline Protestant churches are very social justice oriented, but as previous posters have said, aren’t loud about it. This actually includes denominations who get tarred with a bad brush, such as Baptists who aren’t affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. Two notable examples are The Baptist Church of the Covenant in Birmingham AL and Calvary Baptist Church in DC, both of which are major advocates for LGBT issues in their respective cities.

Yeah, there's one here in my town that I honestly had no idea was social justice-oriented/LGBTQ+ affirming until I went to a service. I always unfairly assumed that it was, you know. BAD Baptist.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 10, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hunt11 posted:

I guess the composer is one of those guys who visits the japanese shrines that honor the dudes that ran Unit 731?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Did anyone ask when Parnas and Fruman purchased the tickets?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
They were due to testify before the House tomorrow, so it's possible they were fleeing in advance of that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

They were due to testify before the House tomorrow, so it's possible they were fleeing in advance of that.

They didn't plan on showing up.

I want to know who paid for the tickets, when they were paid for, and where they were going.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

I guess the composer is one of those guys who visits the japanese shrines that honor the dudes that ran Unit 731?

Rape of Nanking denialist, ultranationalist, and homophobe among other things.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Someone just became poster children for "Flight Risk"

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Majorian posted:

Yeah, in my experience, unfortunately, folks like that are usually too far gone to try to persuade. It's a much better use of time and energy to pester and browbeat people who at least putatively share your values to get up off their asses and take action. At some point, even Jesus stopped being nice and started flipping tables.

Yeah, there's one here in my town that I honestly had no idea was social justice-oriented/LGBTQ+ affirming until I went to a service. I always unfairly assumed that it was, you know. BAD Baptist.

It's a major identity crisis going on in Baptist circles right now, because the "baptist" moniker carries a lot of historical significance, the major one being early struggles for actual religious liberty, and religious pluralism, but the well has essentially been poisoned by fundamentalists happy to debase themselves in exchange for political power.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Just gently caress off simulation

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1182358270104748032?s=19

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

If you ever think "there can't possibly be a tweet", just remember, there is always a tweet.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Christianity in America anecdote:

One of the Evangelical churches in my small town recently got a new sign out front. One of the lines is "All races welcome!" which is good but kinda weird that they need to specify that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fyi i had missed this, but the henchmen were arrested around 6pm last night - not today. so barr being told about it yesterday doesn't yet show him being told right before they got the tip-off

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1182358559423467520

i can't find a full video of the news conference, if anyone has it i would like to see the full thing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pokchu posted:

It's a major identity crisis going on in Baptist circles right now, because the "baptist" moniker carries a lot of historical significance, the major one being early struggles for actual religious liberty, and religious pluralism, but the well has essentially been poisoned by fundamentalists happy to debase themselves in exchange for political power.

Hasn't that been true ever since Southern Baptists existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hunt11 posted:

Koichi Sugiyama. He's done all the music for Dragon Quest since day one. Also a piece of poo poo on LGBT issues and Korean comfort women. Luckily, you're probably not going to need to worry about him doing much more for the series, since he is old af. By the time a DQ 12 would be done he'd be over 90 if not 95, and very likely dead.