Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Ive played like 30 hours of this now and only seen giga black hole twice. once on literally my first ever run where I cast it and died, the second time i got it was yesterday, put it on a wand with trigger bolt and it carried me to my first win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
I stand corrected. Alchemy luck can get even sillier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD6cu2YwmYs

Shooting sawblades repeatedly into water will eventually produce lively concoction, usually a second or two after the blades have vanished. This works with any material as far as I can tell. Wood, snow, coal veins, rock...it doesn't seem matter. I have no idea why this happens -- the recipe for lively concoction with this seed is water + mud + dirt. Long story short, I can fully heal myself anywhere that I can find, make, or place water. I haven't even touched the two flasks I made back on the surface. Oh, and the first temple gave me edit wands everywhere. This seed is basically debug mode.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brasseye posted:

Ive played like 30 hours of this now and only seen giga black hole twice. once on literally my first ever run where I cast it and died, the second time i got it was yesterday, put it on a wand with trigger bolt and it carried me to my first win.

I've also only gotten giga black hole twice, the second time just far enough from the first that I forgot what happened when it's cast. That was a good run, too.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stathol posted:

I stand corrected. Alchemy luck can get even sillier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD6cu2YwmYs

Shooting sawblades repeatedly into water will eventually produce lively concoction, usually a second or two after the blades have vanished. This works with any material as far as I can tell. Wood, snow, coal veins, rock...it doesn't seem matter. I have no idea why this happens -- the recipe for lively concoction with this seed is water + mud + dirt. Long story short, I can fully heal myself anywhere that I can find, make, or place water. I haven't even touched the two flasks I made back on the surface. Oh, and the first temple gave me edit wands everywhere. This seed is basically debug mode.

I think you found the best run setup.

Well, until you come across a bone-wizard that has one of your nuke wands that is.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

maybe sawblades disintegrate down into a bit of dirt, or maybe their impacts kick up some dirt regardless of what they actually land in

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Impulse bought this(is there any other purchase on Steam, really?) and played 4 runs this morning before I went to work. They went like this:

1) Immediately blew myself up with a bomb.
2) Blew a hole in the ground while levitating over it, then fell into the hole... into a lake of lava.
3) Accidentally lit myself on fire with a bomb, tried to wait the fire out... :kingsley:
4) Tried to give a zombie looking fucker with a shotgun a nice solid kick. He was not having any of it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Game good but in retrospect it feels like there's more super-secret hidden content than there is real content. I don't think the game needs "meta-progression", but the game should organically lead you to discover the hidden poo poo. Currently the hidden poo poo is so hidden that never in a thousand years would I find it without the internet. And we're not talking about a small amount of hidden poo poo... we're talking about, like, the majority of the game's meat.

Dark Souls is basically a perfect game when it comes to mystery and limited exposition. It doesn't tell you much: just "RING TWO BELLS, ONE ABOVE AND ONE BELOW." That alone gives the player a loose goal. I could imagine this game doing something nearly identical: just tell the player to "find the [number] orbs hidden throughout this world" at the beginning, then scatter some scrolls around the world with vague hints like: "one orb waits within the tomb beyond the mountain," "one orb waits above the summit of all," etc.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Far as I can discern from the emerald tablet stuff and the intro, the real goal of the game will eventually be to do an 'extended' game of taking the initial egg from the tree on a round the world trip from Hell to Heaven to hatch a Phoenix

I don't think any of that is actually implemented yet though

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know how to embed videos but this is easily my highest body count with one spell (nukes don't count, no way to be sure how much stuff you killed)

https://imgur.com/a/HlLloTd

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Sigh.
So ends my debug-like powers run. That didn't carry me anywhere near as far as I thought it would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcCh2qgAhN0

Apparently Stevari take metric fucktons of damage from slime. It's weird, though -- you see the Stevari float through the slime mist at the end of the video, and it doesn't seem to have any effect beyond the usual. Bug, maybe? I really don't understand this death.

Black August posted:

Far as I can discern from the emerald tablet stuff and the intro, the real goal of the game will eventually be to do an 'extended' game of taking the initial egg from the tree on a round the world trip from Hell to Heaven to hatch a Phoenix

That would be my guess as well. Probably trip down and back up to the eye of the pyramid, going through the sequence earth (mines) -> water (?) -> air (?) -> fire (desert)

Polo-Rican posted:

Dark Souls is basically a perfect game when it comes to mystery and limited exposition. It doesn't tell you much: just "RING TWO BELLS, ONE ABOVE AND ONE BELOW." That alone gives the player a loose goal. I could imagine this game doing something nearly identical: just tell the player to "find the [number] orbs hidden throughout this world" at the beginning, then scatter some scrolls around the world with vague hints like: "one orb waits within the tomb beyond the mountain," "one orb waits above the summit of all," etc.
I haven't completed the game in any form yet, but from what I've gathered about the endgame, that's essentially what the Tabula Smaragdina is. If you read Maier's "A Subtle Allegory: Concerning the Secrets of Alchemy", it's a vague roadmap of what you're supposed to do. Of course, a lot of that boils down to "go on a pilgrimage to visit the whole earth" and "experiment thoroughly even though it's going to get you killed a lot". The orbs are not difficult to find, as such, just hard to acquire. I found my first one about 5 games in because, "hey, I wonder what's on the other side of this mountain?"

Stathol fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 9, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Stathol posted:

That would be my guess as well. Probably trip down and back up to the eye of the pyramid, going through the sequence earth (mines) -> water (?) -> air (?) -> fire (desert)

Well, there's the lake to the west, and the entire game repeated going up way in the sky, with a hint that there's a Hell layer.

So I guess content will eventually tie the orbs into that and more new things in current locations, and the true ending in proper roguelike fashion will be finishing every single optional area in a massive pilgrimage to end the game at the platform just above the entrance

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i can't stop playing this game that i hate

my main gripe is that all the stuff i really want to explore pyramid, whatever is west of tree, etc. it just....it takes too drat long... and then ij ust die instantly to a thing i've never seen before. i know that last bit is kind of the nature of roguelikes but usually there's not 5 minutes of walking involved

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

i can't stop playing this game that i hate

my main gripe is that all the stuff i really want to explore pyramid, whatever is west of tree, etc. it just....it takes too drat long... and then ij ust die instantly to a thing i've never seen before. i know that last bit is kind of the nature of roguelikes but usually there's not 5 minutes of walking involved

there really isn't much to see, the side areas feel very unfinished. the overworld vault and pyramid are mostly just copies of the last 2 areas of the regular game, so if you play normally you'll see everything without having to spend ages walking across a desert.

if you really want to explore then you should play until you can make a wand with insane recoil, tunnel your way back up, and fly around like this: https://i.imgur.com/R0TW8e1.mp4

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I tried to use my teleportation flask to get out of a sticky situation and immediately died to "toxic ice." also I did not teleport.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That seed calculator thing doesn't work for me. I put in my seed and hit the button and nothing happens. :(

edit: Oh duh it says 'does not work through HTTPS' right ther.

packetmantis fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 10, 2019

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Polo-Rican posted:

Game good but in retrospect it feels like there's more super-secret hidden content than there is real content. I don't think the game needs "meta-progression", but the game should organically lead you to discover the hidden poo poo. Currently the hidden poo poo is so hidden that never in a thousand years would I find it without the internet. And we're not talking about a small amount of hidden poo poo... we're talking about, like, the majority of the game's meat.

The game is early access though? I mean it's quite literally not finished so those empty areas and hidden poo poo could end up totally different.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
edit: imgur is being an rear end, trying to find a gif host that doesnt suck

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Polo-Rican posted:

the game should organically lead you to discover the hidden poo poo. Currently the hidden poo poo is so hidden that never in a thousand years would I find it without the internet.

So because you wouldn't find these old-school secrets you think a roguelite should be simplified to the point where secrets aren't secrets any more, huh.

I found 3 without using the internet simply by having a curious nature and thinking "Hey, I wonder what happens if you walk as far left as possible? Oh look a tree with a lake! Can I swim up it?". Do you see how little thought that entailed?

Maybe it should be made into a game where you tap circle to shoot the wand at the right moment to progress? An on rails movie game like all the others littering the market and making lazy developers (businessmen) rich off of lazy minded 'gamers'.

This isn't the games meat. The games meat is making stupid wands and having crazy shennaningans happen with pixel physics. I'll agree there needs to be more but it's an early access game, what do you expect this early on?

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 10, 2019

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

owns

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah all the secret stuff is cool but that gif? That gif is what Noita is all about for me :D

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Yikes, I had won the perk lottery lottery. Had 5 perks coming out of shrine #2. Then 5 meters from the starting shaft: the tail end of a lightning imp shot managed to get the full electrocution stun on me, and his next orb blasted me in the face for instant lethal through 300+ hp AND saving grace.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

They really, really, really, REALLY need to lock down the pits from the temple going into the next level, and stop enemies from even approaching the shaft

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New beta adds +10 max life to the between level life refill pickups, and also a weird inaccessible room with a crystal in it under the spell shop that I don't know what it does, also might have changed the anger the gods mechanic somehow.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

OwlFancier posted:

New beta adds +10 max life to the between level life refill pickups, and also a weird inaccessible room with a crystal in it under the spell shop that I don't know what it does, also might have changed the anger the gods mechanic somehow.

hell yeah called it. the pace of updates is really nice this game is gonna be polished as hell in no time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the crystal is a 'worm crystal' and it's explicitly there to ward off worms from the holy temple areas to try and prevent unintentional angering of the gods

the crystal can be broken which will, of course, let them go through there again

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Black August posted:

They really, really, really, REALLY need to lock down the pits from the temple going into the next level, and stop enemies from even approaching the shaft

that would be a smart choice but i hope they'll keep the toxic sludge pool that seems to have at least a 50% chance of spawning below the coal pit entrance, because it's really funny when i'm in a hurry and dunk straight into it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

that would be a smart choice but i hope they'll keep the toxic sludge pool that seems to have at least a 50% chance of spawning below the coal pit entrance, because it's really funny when i'm in a hurry and dunk straight into it

I won't lie that I also find that extremely funny and hope it stays

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I also like the flask levels at a glance in the new patch.

Anyways, I've got explosion immunity, boosted levitation, and a drill. Time to go East and get that thing that makes you explode all the time for the hell of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if it's a new patch thing but you can mix fluids in flasks now too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Stupid question: since this is an open access/beta release, do I have to install these patches/updates by myself? I recall someone saying there was a run where you start with an empty flask, but I don't have any options on differing runs/builds when I start up the game. It just drops me right into the game when I start it up, no menu or anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Game properties in steam > betas > pick the beta branch.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love the simplicity of putting a chainsaw in the starting bomb wand. There's something so satisfying about chewing through a crowd of enemies before they have a chance to react.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Game properties in steam > betas > pick the beta branch.

:thanks:

Part of me wishes I wasn't going to a wedding this weekend... solely so I can play more Noita :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Johnny Joestar posted:

the crystal is a 'worm crystal' and it's explicitly there to ward off worms from the holy temple areas to try and prevent unintentional angering of the gods

the crystal can be broken which will, of course, let them go through there again
🐛let 🐛them🐛be🐛free🐛

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I'm playing on beta and I managed to anger the gods by having a worm tunnel right past the crystal, so guess it's not 100% reliable!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I imagine based on how they move it's probably possible for the worms to get enough momentum that they can't turn away from the shop

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The patch notes didnt mention anything but it feels like they might have tweaked the mines a little bit. Im finding a lot more wands, and have found more interesting ones since this patch.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Brasseye posted:

The patch notes didnt mention anything but it feels like they might have tweaked the mines a little bit. Im finding a lot more wands, and have found more interesting ones since this patch.

Nah, just your luck shifting. I still get crap in the mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
for my anecdotal evidence I think I've found 5-6 wands in the mines this run

e: also the gods got angered immediately lmao. as always I just murder the god skeletons by yeeting tablets at them

who needs wands, throw the book at em

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 10, 2019