Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

your local perspective is their client perspective and vice versa, am i failing to understand something here

is ggpo not peer to peer?
yeah exactly. client side prediction is something that's only applied to other people from your perspective. in quake no matter how bad your connection is you're able to move around and play as if it was a local game, between server ticks it predicts what everyone else is doing and when you get a tick it updates your local state with what actually happened in that time. if the tickrate is good and you have low latency you don't notice it happening, but if your state is wildly different than the authoritative one then like you're like "I moved over here" and the server busts in like "no you actually died 200ms ago", it becomes extremely evident that something happened

same in ggpo. in ggpo you're able to control your character as if it's a local game and it does it's best to predict everything outside of that. small rollbacks in ggpo happen constantly, and with a good connection it's pretty imperceptible. it's way easier for state to diverge in a 1v1 fg though so big noticable rollbacks happen a lot more often (a lot better than the alternatives though)

in the case of stadia though, you aren't the client. the client runs on their servers and you get a video stream of it, so lots of these tricks don't work. there are other tricks for sure that work at streamside, but it will never feel like a game running on your machine

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, every game would have to be completely architected from the ground up to be build for stadia for this to even work, which is a huge ask. It means making all single player games as though they were multiplayer games.
that's not necessarily true, just architected in such a way that state could be rolled back to an arbitrary point, which is mostly not how games are made currently. that's why ggpo has had the most success in stuff like emulated rereleases and fightcade, because those games ran on systems with only a couple MB of ram so its feasible to store whole ram dumps to rewind to. when you're building ggpo into a modern game you need to be more careful about managing state, which is probably why barely anyone bothers to use it

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elevatyler/status/1182070771453169664

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Filming people at the gym is really loving lovely regardless of if the person is walking like a video games character or not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Filming people at the gym is really loving lovely regardless of if the person is walking like a video games character or not.

Yeah that is a dick move and I even considered not posting it, but dude's at least in good shape so its not like bodyshaming. Just a funny walk, solid chance he's doing it on purpose; but hard to say.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I agree that it's a little tricky but I was able to get a pretty good handle on it without thinking about frame data. How are you getting through some of these bosses without parrying? Just stagger through them? Getting the parries and the counter seem to do a ton of armor damage and I think the Delver would have been maddening if I wasn't taking advantage of that.

From a few pages back now but o well: Parrying bosses I've found is a lot easier because their attacks are a massive hitbox coming straight at the entirety of your character, so intercepting it so that it hits you during the parry window is a lot easier. Parrying normal enemies is much more difficult because while you may parry at the correct time, the attack may not hit you when you expect it to because of positioning, how close you are to the enemy, elevation, etc. That part's not a problem with the game or anything, it's just what I'm struggling with because I have a hard time laser-focusing on finagling myself and the enemy into the proper positions at a moment's notice.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 10, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/_KrisWilson_/status/1181674878342008832

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was debating between buying this and the Encyclopedia Eorzea, it's tough...

Edit: OK the Nancy book is 15 bucks and the EE is 90 dollars on eBay maybe it's not so tough

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 10, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

don't pay 2x markup to ebay scalpers, EE will be back in stock at some point on the square store

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Honestly this is barely a change from the real thing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I dunno who thought a permanently enraged Kirin was a cool and fun thing to put in monster hunter but they suck

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CJacobs posted:

From a few pages back now but o well: Parrying bosses I've found is a lot easier because their attacks are a massive hitbox coming straight at the entirety of your character, so intercepting it so that it hits you during the parry window is a lot easier. Parrying normal enemies is much more difficult because while you may parry at the correct time, the attack may not hit you when you expect it to because of positioning, how close you are to the enemy, elevation, etc. That part's not a problem with the game or anything, it's just what I'm struggling with because I have a hard time laser-focusing on finagling myself and the enemy into the proper positions at a moment's notice.

I get that. It is pretty precise about when a weapon hits you and circling left vs right can change up the timing.

I have been enjoying the feeling of running into a new enemy type, being baffled and bludgeoned by their attacks, then after a few encounters I'm like "Oh yeah, wind up for the haymaker you punk. I can see you coming a mile away. Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I get that. It is pretty precise about when a weapon hits you and circling left vs right can change up the timing.

I have been enjoying the feeling of running into a new enemy type, being baffled and bludgeoned by their attacks, then after a few encounters I'm like "Oh yeah, wind up for the haymaker you punk. I can see you coming a mile away. Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru."

Yeah the game channels this feeling really well. The aforementioned huge bosses make you feel like such a badass when you parry an entire string of their attacks without flinching. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is a war crime :stare:

CJacobs posted:

Honestly this is barely a change from the real thing

Glad I didn't see it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing that Mobile Suit Gundam game that is free to play on PS4, it is a fun competitive multiplayer game! I just wish matchmaking was much faster, and not prone to failing to find people to play with.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should call the PS4 version: Console Suit Gundam, am I right here or what

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Zoot Suit Gundam

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I got my Mobile Suit at Men’s Warehouse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Surviving Mars is free now on Epic Game Store.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

They should call the PS4 version: Console Suit Gundam, am I right here or what

This actually makes sense :hmmyes: and then release it on Switch with its proper name.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Tencent owns something like 50% of Epic by the way

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

from what i heard it's 51-52%

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VarXX posted:

Tencent owns something like 50% of Epic by the way

You are not going to escape entertainment products owned partially by Chinese companies

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

aahhh!!ddium posted:

from what i heard it's 51-52%

It's not a controlling share. I think it's like 48%.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

48%, + 3-4% from what i hear

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hmm

i feel like there's a bit of a problem with steam achievement rarity

hi :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kerrzhe posted:

hmm

i feel like there's a bit of a problem with steam achievement rarity

hi :)

my rarest achievement is like some garbo one from mercenary kings or some game 300,000 people played but only stuck with for the first 5 minutes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have the achievement for completing The Walking Dead Season One Chapter One :)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I said come in! posted:

There are also 2 DLCs available for free.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cowcaster posted:

my rarest achievement is like some garbo one from mercenary kings or some game 300,000 people played but only stuck with for the first 5 minutes

I think most people wanted something completely different from what Mercenary Kings offered.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
My rarest cheevos are mainly Marvel Heroes ones and considering the game is dead that's probably not going to change anytime soon.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I guess we're seeing another explosion in the size of games as the next console gen approaches with Red Dead 2 and COD:MW reaching 150GB and 175GB on PC.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/coldmanhot/status/1182349239583674368?s=21

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

My rarest cheevos are mainly Marvel Heroes ones and considering the game is dead that's probably not going to change anytime soon.

I will keep all my showcased achievements rare Marvel Heroes ones entirely because they're impossible to get now. Also because I miss that game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

RIP Marvel Heroes, I miss that game a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Control was mostly okay but the ending was a damp 'haha buy the dlc and/or sequel' squib.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What the gently caress is that from

That's not what he used to look like!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I dunno who thought a permanently enraged Kirin was a cool and fun thing to put in monster hunter but they suck
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There is absolutely one guy no one has spoken to for years responsible for Raging Brach, Furious Rajang, Savage Deviljho etc. and nobody asks where the encounters come from or how the balance playtesting went